Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do villains also go to the Booster Gold tourist spots or is it another character?

Because I can see Booster Gold doing both things because that's the kind of guy Booster Gold is. Booster Gold (it's something that should be unfunny after the first time but the voice actor nails it).

Does Wonder Woman ever give you missions to do? I think I'll try one of those tonight just to see what it do.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, Iconic Powers. Any opinions? They seem pretty hit and miss. Out of the three I've tried, only the bubble shield has been of any use.

The combat drone does absolutely pathetic damage (less than a RMB tap, every 3-5 seconds), and Word of Power combines a minuscule heal with a long charge-up for massive failure. I'm looking at Amazonian Deflection for extra defense, and maybe the lasso for catching runners in open PvP.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Do villains also go to the Booster Gold tourist spots or is it another character?

Because I can see Booster Gold doing both things because that's the kind of guy Booster Gold is. Booster Gold (it's something that should be unfunny after the first time but the voice actor nails it).

Does Wonder Woman ever give you missions to do? I think I'll try one of those tonight just to see what it do.

Zatanna gave me a mission then Wonder Woman game me updates about it. I really don't like her VO its to...to be honest black and I don't mean to sound racist. Just didn't fit her

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just got this game and made a sorcerer.. And took the summon guardian for my first ability.
    And my guardian just kind of floats near me and doesn't do anything. At all. Am I missing something?

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So I just got this game and made a sorcerer.. And took the summon guardian for my first ability.
    And my guardian just kind of floats near me and doesn't do anything. At all. Am I missing something?

From what I can tell, the general consensus is that all the summons, other than the gadget robot, are crap. I haven't tried the Fury, but I know that the Guardian and the combat drone from Iconic Powers won't bother to engage anything until you attack it first.

This means that they're pretty much low-damage DoTs with fancy graphics.

edit: oh shit, is Martian Manhunter also the squadron leader for the Suicide Kings?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah sorcery is awesome but you need to go full destiny, no summons

edit: as to the iconic powers, the passives at least seem pretty nice since you'll get more power points then you need anyway.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hm. That's lame.. That's kind of the reason I rolled a sorc.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Going to start broadcasting my first playthrough of DCUO.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/finite-respawn

Edit: Just as soon as it finishes patching.

Talkc on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Zatanna gave me a mission then Wonder Woman game me updates about it. I really don't like her VO its to...to be honest black and I don't mean to sound racist. Just didn't fit her

Here's a video, as an example. And yes, the voice doesn't match up well on account of the fact that it doesn't even begin to match the appearance and personality of the character in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAO0i8f7928&playnext=1&list=PL088FDB23AB82245B&index=10

I hear alot of people like the voice, though, and apparently, it's one of the officially acknowledged "Wonder Woman voices", which is why they went with it. I imagine it would sound a bit more on-key if every example of it being used didn't have the character kicking ass and taking names in the traditional format for a greek mythos inspired hero.

That being said, Torres' voice sounds like a voice that would be well suited for a "serene", wisened mentor, sort of character. But given the portrayal of Wonder Woman in the intro cinematic (She starts the video off by cutting off a dudes head.), serene is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of her.

Also, the VA in the intro cinematic supposedly isn't even the same one as the one in-game. Back in the beta there was a topic concerning it how the two voices sounded "off", at one point, when compared to one another.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »
    Going to start broadcasting my first playthrough of DCUO.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/finite-respawn

Edit: Just as soon as it finishes patching.

What are you using to capture you feed I tried this last night and just couldn't figure it out although I was given some help that was after I stopped trying.

I'ma have another crack at it tonight.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I assume the OP's post as to where Penny Arcade can be found is for the PC version of the game. Was an official server ever chosen for PS3, or are there just so few who picked it up for the PS3 that it wouldn't really matter?

Raiek on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm playing PS3 on Crisis-Hero side. Don't know about anyone else.

I have a question about the audio in the game. Again, playing on PS3. Maybe I'm missing something but there are no character sounds in the game. What I mean is, there are no footstep sounds. No sounds when you are running on water or touchdown in water. No sounds when you jump or double jump. Nothing when I use my glider, even when I use the rocket booster. It is incredibly eerie to see heroes zooming by with super speed and hear no sound, and it's even weirder that my hero doesn't grunt or huff or whizz or whoosh when I double jump or glide. And no footstep/movement sounds at all make it feel like I'm always walking on air. Kind of hope my personal game is just broke and there's a way to fix this. To top it all off the ambient sound effects from the environment are super quiet and rarely play, standing in the main reactor room of The Watchtower there is nothing but silence.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, combat sounds, like me hitting an enemy with my double blades, BLAST through my rear speakers like the game is trying to make me deaf.

Edit to add: I love the game and this may seem like a small thing to nitpick, but it REALLY stands out to me, maybe because I used to test audio on games, and because every MMO I've played your character makes sound/has footsteps.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Acrobatics makes me want this game :(

It's pretty fun
    mgot101skyboxpc18013300.png

Especially when you get the gliding talent...who the hell needs flight when I can have acrobatics with a side of gliding?

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm making a speed guy since my villian is acrobatics. What goes well with speed and isn't a ranged weapon?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll agree with you on that Wonder Woman sounds "black" there. But I don't have an opinion on weather it fits Wonder Woman or not. At least the VA acting and talent and stuff is good from what I heard in that youtube.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll agree with you on that Wonder Woman sounds "black" there. But I don't have an opinion on weather it fits Wonder Woman or not. At least the VA acting and talent and stuff is good from what I heard in that youtube.

If you are around at 1am EST Ill try to get my stream running and I'll play some and you can hear the VO in the game setting.

Also I need to convince you Tana and Robot to all get the game I need vent ppl's to play with.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what do you mean you people

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i just feel so guilty for paying so much on wow ($150 {wotlk, cata, 6mo sub}) and spending all my time on LoL instead to go out and buy DCUO. Only to play it for a month or two like I did STO and CO

and if I did buy it why didn't i just do the D2D thing and get it for $35 AND get the batman preorder

if you have good reasons for this by the time i get to gamestop in 30m i'll buy it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i just feel so guilty for paying so much on wow ($150 {wotlk, cata, 6mo sub}) and spending all my time on LoL instead to go out and buy DCUO. Only to play it for a month or two like I did STO and CO

and if I did buy it why didn't i just do the D2D thing and get it for $35 AND get the batman preorder

if you have good reasons for this by the time i get to gamestop in 30m i'll buy it.

It's almost a console action game IMO so I wouldn't call it an MMO ( I exclusively play with my 360 controller as it perfectly and automatically syncs with the game) I think you could play enough to warrant your 50$ in your free month

2 its DC you love that DC shit

the D2D Thing I dont know but I do know that Legends PVP is meh and you can unlock Batman other ways this is just a head start afaik

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pika, Buy It. I've recently quit WoW and play a lot less LoL because of this game. It is worth it, even if just for the incredible scenarios while jumping or flying or whatnot.
    The combat system is great, and the voice acting is awesome.

Flaws? Chat/social system and targeting. Nothing that can't be fixed with an update.
    Also, more power set / weapons options, but that's obviously coming out in the future.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hell I bought this game on the promise of a Lantern Corps expansion somewhere down the line.

Color me fucking impressed/surprised when I found out Arkillo and Sinestro are already in the game HELL YEAH!

Also really the Open world PvP provided you aren't getting ganked by the stupid fucking losers of Goon Squad is awesome.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So figure I should throw in some screen shots. First BrokenHawk ready for combat in his full Greco-roman other than the kilt.
    MHQS103_AUDIO-PC-18-1725580.jpg?t=1295397905

Now his day off clothing.
    MHQS103_AUDIO-PC-16-2337210.jpg?t=1295397958

And last but not least this little trinket I got makes me scary looking.
    MPYR0104_POSTFX-PC-18-1740250.jpg?t=1295397990

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like I won't have it til at least tomorrow. So pissed off by this.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    And last but not least this little trinket I got makes me scary looking.
    MPYR0104_POSTFX-PC-18-1740250.jpg?t=1295397990

Aw man I want the Toyman trinket! All I've found is the damn beastiamorph one. Now I can play as a furry if I want. Huzzah.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    SoccerStachSoccerStach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone have an extra buddy key lying around?

SoccerStach on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Hm. That's lame.. That's kind of the reason I rolled a sorc.

Fury is damned potent once you get it, with attacks that do decent damage. The Summoning line overall takes awhile to build up steam, but once you get things like Well of Souls and Soul Storm (heh), it comes into its own in terms of damage.

You may better off leveling up with Destiny first, then doing a re-spec somewhere around level 10.

Croak on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Where does the game save screenshots to?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\DC Universe Online\DCGame\ScreenShots

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn you guys. Damn you guys to hell. I'll post my hero name once I get back from buying this and get him created. I told myself I wouldn't buy another MMO before TOR!

Dourin on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If people are feeling that Gina Torres is too black for Wonder Woman then the only solution I see is that it's time for WW to be a black woman

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »
    Damn you guys. Damn you guys to hell. I'll post my hero name once I get back from buying this and get him created. I told myself I wouldn't buy another MMO before TOR!

Put 15 hours into it within the first 30days and you just got most games now a days lets be honest.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    why aren't you in vent BR i'm at 8.7 of 8.8gb installed

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm level 30 on my hero now! Time for duos!

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    why aren't you in vent BR i'm at 8.7 of 8.8gb installed

I'm at work Ill be hone and online by 1am est thats like 2:40 from now so like play with the game and Ill either reroll with you or play whatever I got close to you just make whatever and Ill conform to that.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is every villain on Death & Glory hanging out in Metropolis' chinatown? Specifically the Science Police HQ? It's a frickin' joke. There was some hero at level 30 who came in, dressed as Superman, and just ripped them all apart, but that didn't last long.

Does anyone know a good place online that describes what points you want to maximize for certain classes? For instance, do I want more might for a dual pistol wielder or power (why can't they use normal things like strength and accuracy).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh. I went to Joker's fun house place and got a trinket that makes me look like a big demon. Weird.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So after going to 2 Walmart's and a Target, I have discovered that no department stores in my area are actually stocking DCUO. The soonest one will be in is 1-2 weeks. And even then, they only had 2 on order. This was at a motherfucking WAL-MART.

Thank god for Steam.

This actually reminds me of that thread that popped up a bit ago talking about retailers bitching about all the revenue they lose to developers allowing digital distribution to have day 1 releases and all that. I say this is a prime example of "It's your own fucking fault."

Dourin on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A Toyman skin? This game is terrible.
    I keed, I keed.
    But seriously, I hate Toyman.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    ARTHIL/HAILESTRO'S BIG GIANT POST OF IMPORTANCE!whichwillprobablybebottompage'd
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

PAers Currently Not In League as far as I know:

The Cow King - Dr Payback
    TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Foefaller - Grey Knight & Ignatia & others yet to be determined
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    Hypertime - Hypertime I'm a nooooooooooooooooob :?
    PikaPuff - Wincest

THIS IS WHERE DUDES IN THE LEAGUE ALREADY PUT THEIR NAMES MMM'KAY?:
    Arthil - Hailestro
    LockedOnTarget - Spitfire
    TaliosFalcon - Rakaos
    Khildith - Khildith/Dysphoros
    Silas Brown - Iceclasp
    Mazzyx - Brokenhawk
    AspectVoid - Vihar
    Mugginns - Tornado
    MajorTremor - Sizzle
    Barrabas - Mystic Shard
    Vinter - Vinter
    Kevin Crist - Ananse
    Aistan - Inferno Rose
    Just_Bri_Thanks - Flying Fox
    Maguano - Wolfpack
    CorriganX - Croissanwich
    Island - Slyde
    Evigilant- Evigilant
    damval - Star Breaker
    BloodyRoarXX - Final Justice
    Witch_Hunter_84 - Punchkicker

Really wish you guys would try and make sure you quote the latest list, all it takes is double checking before you quote, or editing your post if you notice someone added something. Makes my job a bit easier.
    Wincest rises from the ashes of CO and STO, ready to be generic name'd at any moment!
    dcuowincest.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought it was Fingerbang in CO, or am I thinking of someone else?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.