As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What should I get next?

tehfalconertehfalconer moonrocksin my noseRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
So I'm in the market for getting a pair of new PS2 games (I have no PS3 or xbox 360). I just recently beat Onimusha Dawn of Dreams and Valkyrie Profile 2 and I have a pretty big cache of old games that I already beat. I'm pretty sure that one game I'm getting is Persona 3 FES. The other game I want is still up for debate. I'm considering getting one of these games:

Rez (heard many things about this... but do they still hold true so many years later? is this game easy?)
Okami (I like the old Zelda games, but I heard this was really easy)
Odin Sphere (I like action RPGs)
Burnout (either Takedown or Revenge, don't know which is beter)
Jak 3 (I enjoyed Jak 1 more than Jak 2)
Shadow of Colossus (don't know if I want to buy this one... I might be able to borrow it. Plus, does it have replay value?)

I'm wondering if anyone who has some experience with these games can give me some insight on which one(s) they enjoyed the most? I've checked out a few online reviews and youtube videos, but I'm still kind of unsure which other game I'd get. I've always found it hard to compare games based on review scores, so I was wondering if anyone has played a few of the games on the list and could say which they liked the most. Thanks in advance!

... you will be the falcon, and I shall remain... The Falconer!
tehfalconer on

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

Also, Okami's amazing and Odin Sphere is pretty damn awesome, but some people around here don't like that the gameplay is repetitive.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rez - Awesome. Get it. Now. Play with sound cranked.
    Okami - Also awesome. Gorgeous art style. Easy, but long and enjoyable.
    Odin Sphere - Haven't played.
    Burnout - Both Takedown and Revenge are good, I prefer the latter.
    Jak 3 - Same shooting/blasting/fun as Jak 2, but add vehicle sections. Besides, don't you want to see the end of the story?
    Shadow of the Colossus - Short, but good.

Things that you didn't list:
    God of War - Fuck punching a god, would you like rip all of its limbs off?
    Devil May Cry 1/3 - Over-the-top action fun.

Also, I'm going to crap on your head.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    okami is a 2 hour game with a 10 hour extension

sotc fo sho'

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Collosus.

[tiny]this whole thread will consist of variations on this post, over and over.[/tiny]

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rez is a lot of fun (although very short), but if you have any of intention of ever buying a 360, I'd hold off on it since the 360 version is both superior & cheaper (a mere $10).

I'd get Shadow of the Colossus. It's awesome while it lasts and good enough to be worth playing a few years down the road.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sure Okami is easy, but so is every Legend of Zelda.

Buy Shadow of Colossus.

If you have money left over, buy Okami.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I fully support Shadow of the Colossus and Burnout Revenge. Also want to throw in Viewtiful Joe, GOD HAND and GOD HAND.

Oh yeah, also GOD HAND.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, my birthday is coming up in a month or so, and the parents are bugging me for gift ideas. I've got a couple of books down already but I don't really have much else to go on. I've got a DS and a Wii but I probably won't have my Wii with me. I've got a notebook computer but it's not that great; it won't play Bioshock or anything more graphically intense than that. I like RTS, RPG, and adventure-style games. Unfortunately I wasn't really thinking about it and I picked up most of the summer games I wanted already, including FFTA2 and TWEWY. Rather than start a new thread, I figured that I'd just ask here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rez, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami are all amazing.
    Among the best PS2 games.
    Also, consider God Hand.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Terrendos, give me your notebook specs. I played games on a shitty computer for 7 years so I know some good gems.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus is beautiful and amazing, but it IS short so I'd just borrow it.

Odin Sphere is also beautiful, but I only beat the first book, which I think it probably pretty common. Lacks depth.

Shadow of Rome is a hidden gem.

Tzen on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Takedown is so much better than Revenge. In Revenge they introduced Traffic Checking, which is a bunch of bullshit, and Crashbreaker for races, which is also a bucket of awful. It's telling that for Paradise, Traffic Checking was almost completely removed, and it's as if there was never any such thing as Crashbreaker.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Collosus of the Shadow.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus is very polarizing. I'd rent/borrow it first. A lot of folks love it. I'm one of the ones who hates it.

Okami, I loved... again, see if you can try it first.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter