As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Football 2008: Pick'em info on page 1

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And I mean, assume Georgia wins the East, if they beat the SEC West champion, and the West looks a bit weak from this distance, odds are the SEC Champion gets to the title game. Based on the SEC is God's gift to football kind principle, which Ohio State keeps validating. Fucking Buckeyes.

For a single fan, you're making an awful lot of anti-OSU posts. I haven't once yet bashed Michigan...

...dammit...

My class never lost to Michigan- crap crap I had to do it.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've said it before in previous football threads, but will say it here for posterity. Muck Fichigan. If Illinois does nothing this year but beat Michigan I will still be, for the most part, happy, even though that makes no rational sense what-so-ever.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    And I mean, assume Georgia wins the East, if they beat the SEC West champion, and the West looks a bit weak from this distance, odds are the SEC Champion gets to the title game. Based on the SEC is God's gift to football kind principle, which Ohio State keeps validating. Fucking Buckeyes.

For a single fan, you're making an awful lot of anti-OSU posts. I haven't once yet bashed Michigan...

...dammit...

My class never lost to Michigan- crap crap I had to do it.

57-41-6

Honestly it's a rivalry, what do you expect?

Medopine on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've said it before in previous football threads, but will say it here for posterity. Muck Fichigan. If Illinois does nothing this year but beat Michigan I will still be, for the most part, happy, even though that makes no rational sense what-so-ever.

And I will make the same post I always make when this comes up: what the hell Illinois? Things I know about Illinois:

1) Their Delta Upsilon fraternity is about as stereotypical fratty as I've ever seen (friend of mine was in Michigan's chapter, figured we could stay there when we went to the football game in 2004, literally the third thing we heard in that house was offering us some coke.) Woooooo!

2) They have a kickass engineering school.

3) They hate Michigan.

I don't understand it.

Also re: Veritas, it was mostly that you guys perpetuated the Big Ten sucks meme in the national media, two straight years and I HATE the SEC. Especially SEC fans who think the SEC is the only good football in the world. Stalin seems cool though. :^: Stalin.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    They have a guy named Juice and he is good

They beat OSU

I harbor no ill will

Medopine on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How is Notre Dame pre-ranked at #40? That seems awfully high for a- WHERE'S YOUR MESSIAH NOW?!

Also: pretty sure the sucky teams perpetuated the Big Ten Sucks meme, because we beat them so handily. Not our fault for them not putting up a fight and therefore being a good judgment.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How is Notre Dame pre-ranked at #40? That seems awfully high for a- WHERE'S YOUR MESSIAH NOW?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Weis ate his way up the list

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    They have a guy named Juice and he is good

They beat OSU

I harbor no ill will

Yeah, that too. Though I wonder if Mendenhall was really the engine that made that team go. I was pro-that win though.

Sidenote! The ref who did that OSU/Illinois game (and whose crew horribly botched what should have been a fumble after a 70 some yard run) and the previous week's...Purdue game wherein they rolled the clock after a guy went out of bounds during a two minute drill was fired. So yay.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Also: pretty sure the sucky teams perpetuated the Big Ten Sucks meme, because we beat them so handily. Not our fault for them not putting up a fight and therefore being a good judgment.

You didn't help. :P

At least Michigan beat the fighting Tebows. Well, and Harvins.

/Ignores last September

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Another Big Televen here - Penn State.

I'm going on record that I don't care how the season goes so long as JoePa closes on/passes Bowden. That's all that matters right now.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Reporting in for the Michigan State Spartans, where we'll be doing doormat duty in the Big 10 this year.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Reporting in for the Michigan State Spartans, where we'll be doing doormat duty in the Big 10 this year.

The prognosticators all seem to expect big things from Sparty this year. Do you not believe in the fighting Javon Ringers? Who apparently has somehow not graduated yet.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    IU would like to have a word with you. Last year was a fluke, and they'll be taking their spot in front of the door back thankyouverymuch.

Also, I'm not sure what jackass made that Notre Dame video, but I'll thank him/her to include me in it next time. Sheesh, way to make a guy feel left out. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

And I will make the same post I always make when this comes up: what the hell Illinois? Things I know about Illinois:

1) Their Delta Upsilon fraternity is about as stereotypical fratty as I've ever seen (friend of mine was in Michigan's chapter, figured we could stay there when we went to the football game in 2004, literally the third thing we heard in that house was offering us some coke.) Woooooo!

2) They have a kickass engineering school.

3) They hate Michigan.

I don't understand it.

re: 1) - Agreed on this point. My friend was in the Ag frat, which was basically all a bunch of farmer's kids who did nothing but drink beer all the time but were definitely not a stereotypical frat, so it was cool. Anytime they had a huge party though, or when we went to another frat it was...yah, pretty much like you said.

re: 2) - Sometimes I really wish I'd made more of an effort to actually go there. I got accepted, but would have been a lot more expensive compared to where I went, so I settled for making the trip up to my friend's frat every few months or so.

re: 3) - I think in the following years there's going to be more hating of OSU than Michigan. For some reason, for the past 20 years in the state of Illinois, any non-Illini fan decided to be a Michigan fan. And every single winter we see all the fucking huge puffy blue and yellow coats all over the damn place, and so it was a lot easier for Illini fans to choose OSU as part of the OSU/Michigan rivalry. OSU's recent success though is going to shift that, and while I doubt Illinois fans are going to ever find themselves rooting for Michigan, I think they'll love to hate OSU just as much, plus it turns out they're beatable for us now, which is huge. Ideally, last season will spark a complete turn-around for the football program and we'll turn it into a 'big three' kinda deal in the conference, but I'm not holding my breath. Like you said, for this season it will all depend on whether mendenhall was the key to everything. We will see. Knocking off a top-five team in the season opener would be a great start.

Also, Michigan State and Penn State guys...I've always liked those teams for some reason.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    USA Today coaches poll is out

Screengrab cause I'm too lazy to c/p and reformat the list
    33a58xz.png

Medopine on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Another Tide fan here. :)

I'm hoping to see continued improvement, mainly with just beng consistent in our passing game. I'll consider this year a definate step forward if we can cruise confidently past the teams we're supposed to beat and maybe steal a win from a team we're totally not supposed to beat. We do this, 8-9 wins is totally feasible I think. The Clemson game worries me, but I think it will be a great experience for both teams actually, and will be a learning experience for a lot of our freshmen who will be starting in key positions this year. Aside from Clemson and Georgia, the other away games don't competely terrify me, and I think we're good enough to be a sleeper in the West that will play well enough to surprise some teams this year, but we're definately a work in progress.
    Yay for football, and Roll Tide!

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, Michigan State and Penn State guys...I've always liked those teams for some reason.

Because we're traditionally competent, but nonthreatening? :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm hoping to see continued improvement, mainly with just beng consistent in our passing game. I'll consider this year a definate step forward if we can cruise confidently past the teams we're supposed to beat and maybe steal a win from a team we're totally not supposed to beat. We do this, 8-9 wins is totally feasible I think. The Clemson game worries me, but I think it will be a great experience for both teams actually, and will be a learning experience for a lot of our freshmen who will be starting in key positions this year. Aside from Clemson and Georgia, the other away games don't competely terrify me, and I think we're good enough to be a sleeper in the West that will play well enough to surprise some teams this year, but we're definately a work in progress.

Here's something that might help you guys

Stop oversigning recruits

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

Because we're traditionally competent, but nonthreatening? :P

That's...pretty much it exactly.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why is Michigan ranked? I'm puzzled.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cause if you don't start the hype train for the big rivalry show-down early, you might wind up with less than 2 straight weeks of pre-game analysis, and 1 full week of post-game review sessions.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

With the rate we lose guys who fuck up and get arrested? No way. Besides, we also sign quality recruits. That's why we had the best signing class in the nation last spring.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

With the rate we lose guys who fuck up and get arrested? No way. Besides, we also sign quality recruits. That's why we had the best signing class in the nation last spring.

Also because you signed half of the state to scholarships in the hopes that enough people would commit felonies or be decide to not be interested in football or have medical problems that conveniently get them off the roster.

Coincidentally, just before the start of fall practice, enough people had been removed from the team to hit the scholarship limit! Way to go, Nick Saban!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    First game I predict App State loses to LSU in a close one, then they go on to win the FCS again.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Go Owls!

(the owls aren't going any where)

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Which Owls? Temple? Rice?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dyna's a well educated guy who lives in Texas, so I'm guessing Rice?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Iowa State fan here. Fully prepared for a few months of pain and disappointment. Pessimism makes it hurt less.

Wow. Just. Wow. I'm an alumnus of ISU and it really sucks some times. I agree. ISU had a couple good years, but now, as you said, pain and disappointment.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyna's a well educated guy who lives in Texas, so I'm guessing Rice?

Oh. Well, at least if they aren't good they're entertaining and score (and surrender) a lot of points.

I will be paying attention to their TE James Casey though, who made Freshman All-American last year.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Better question, how the hell did Notre Dame get 5 votes?

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ZeroCow wrote: »

That is a good question. I'm not sure if it's better. I'm predicting 8-4 and I'm considered a naive optimist by my friends.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Commenter on mgoblog suggested the votes were allotted by mass

Also Re:Bama's recruiting techniques

Doing it wrong, you are

Look. You oversign. Then when the deadline comes up you KICK PEOPLE OFF THAT YOU PROMISED A SCHOLARSHIP TO. I don't care if it gets you the best class that year. It's fucking wrong, dude.

Now. When I said "help you guys" I guess I meant "help you guys become a better program" in the overall sense, not "help you win more football games." So I concede that point.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nice video up here of Michigan's S+C stuff

http://www.mgoblue.com/football/article.aspx?id=141930#

It's funny cause this is probably typical for most programs but for us it's like YESS FINALLY WOOO

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nice video up here of Michigan's S+C stuff

http://www.mgoblue.com/football/article.aspx?id=141930#

It's funny cause this is probably typical for most programs but for us it's like YESS FINALLY WOOO

Also Barwis is more awesomer than all the rest of those lame S+C programs.

Eeeeeeeeee.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    phekno wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »
    Iowa State fan here. Fully prepared for a few months of pain and disappointment. Pessimism makes it hurt less.

Wow. Just. Wow. I'm an alumnus of ISU and it really sucks some times. I agree. ISU had a couple good years, but now, as you said, pain and disappointment.

The one ray of sunshine is our recent success against U of I. Its quite funny reading hawkeyenation.com message boards where they're all predicting 11-1 seasons and crushing wins over ISU even though we beat them 7 of the last 10.

At least ISU fans are generally realists, and don't go around predicting 11-1 and Rose Bowl appearances a year after going 6-6.

Fucking Iowa.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The prognosticators all seem to expect big things from Sparty this year. Do you not believe in the fighting Javon Ringers? Who apparently has somehow not graduated yet.

He's taking the Drew Naymick approach. Of course, Naymick has a fucking Masters in Finance when he finally graduated.

I don't know. My work is literally next door to the practice field, so I get to see quite a bit of practice. The o-line looks like a sieve to me. Hoyer looks better than last year but if that line is going to crumble like that, he doesn't stand much of a chance. Believe me, I'll be in the stadium screaming just as loud as the next drunken college fuck next to me but I'm starting off my season in Detroit Lions mode -- expect nothing.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

rr.jpg

Satan. on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Little known fact: the Pope gets four votes in the coaches' poll.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Because of Dick Rod? (Michigan state fan)

Did they ever figure out if he really wiped those systems while the team was at its bowl game or not? I heard the initial story, but never any follow up.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg