As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind of parent will you be? (Or are?)And why?

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So in my work, I get the chance to watch tons of parents interacting with their kids, and there's all kinds. The parents that just dump the kids at the store, the parents that baby their kids, parents who seem to preffer one kid over another..all sorts. So this got me thinking about the sort of parent I will be.

I think one of the things that keeps coming up in my mind, is that I'm going to try to make sure my kids eat and live healthier than I did when I was young. I know what it's like to be overweight and what not, and have realized how easy some of my life had been if I had changed sooner. I'm not blaming my parents at all though, just saying that's something I'll try to do.

Also, I hate saying it, but I'll probably spoil my kids. The reason is cliche, but I want to give them things I didn't get a chance to have. I already do it a bit with my younger brothers actually.

So how about you guys?

Kyougu on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll pay for my kids' college.

hehe

ege02 on
  • Options
    Dr. TwoCentsDr. TwoCents __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

Dr. TwoCents on
    Friend Code: 3853-2414-7564
    XBL: DoctorTwoCents242
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

hehe

Man, amen. First of those suckers being born, I'll start saving.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wonder a lot about the appropriate way to phase introduction to computers and the internet. I figure some sort of content filter up until they hit puberty and then let's face it I'd be naive to try. Probably a general "kid's computer" with a disk clone so they can experiment and fuck it up without causing any actual problems.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I'm a pretty inconsiderate dick to my parents considering that they are paying me all the way through college.

I'm going to push science and learning for the fun of it really hard on my kids. I'm going to teach them hardcore skepticism, and really try to emphasize using logic to them. But basically I'm only going to buy them planet earth dvds and chemistry sets, and lots and lots of pets.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I'll pay for my kids college.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »

hehe

Before, man, before.

I'm 23 and I've already started saving. No such thing as too early when it comes to this sort of thing.

ege02 on
  • Options
    myvillainmyvillain __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    send em to boarding school.

myvillain on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be like Calvin's dad, only try to make sure I don't permanently fuck them up.

calvin-father-on-black-and-white-pictures.0.gif

Probably pay for their college, but not spoil them with presents. Unless they're asking for books.

...or Lego.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

hehe

Before, man, before.

I'm 23 and I've already started saving. No such thing as too early when it comes to this sort of thing.

I thought you actually needed a birth certificate or something to start a 529. Besides, you should probably be more IRA, mortgage, and general savings concerned than focusing on one of those just yet.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    moniker wrote: »

hehe

Before, man, before.

I thought you actually needed a birth certificate or something to start a 529. Besides, you should probably be more IRA, mortgage, and general savings concerned than focusing on one of those just yet.
    IRA ?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

hehe

Before, man, before.

IRA ?

Individual Retirement Account

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Good thing I didn't make a quip about the Irish.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ITT: We learn ELM will die poor.

Quid on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess the ideal parenthood scenario for me would be to encourage fun learning as soon as I can. Teach them to be open emotionally, but at the same time give them ways to actually survive throughout the bullshit that is school. Too often do you see people emotionally crippled as a result of school, either through being bullied for being power geeks and thereafter being completely devoid of the self-confidence that would skyrocket them to the top, or being the greatest kid in school, but completely useless and desperately trying to relive their high school glory afterwards with no real success.

theSquid on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am in no way competent to raise any sort of person and will not be doing so.

I think this is going to be a pretty common answer.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I refuse to be a parent on ethical grounds and due my inability to handle high-pitched noises.

I will be a pretty great adoptive uncle to kids of my exes though, and will educate the crap out of the little buggers if given the opportunity.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You have no idea what you'll do. There is no plan for this. There is no book or college course for this. A lot of it depends on the kids personality and disposition. You won't believe how much of that is out of your hands right out of the gate. I just want him to know I love him, that I'll do my best to listen and that I will teach him anything I know and help him learn anything that I don't know.

Putting money away for college is good, but it's really a whole shit load bigger than that.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Drake wrote: »
    You have no idea what you'll do. There is no plan for this. There is no book or college course for this. A lot of it depends on the kids personality and disposition. You won't believe how much of that is out of your hands right out of the gate. I just want him to know I love him, that I'll do my best to listen and that I will teach him anything I know and help him learn anything that I don't know.

Putting money away for college is good, but it's really a whole shit load bigger than that.

Actually there are 92,457 books on it.

moniker on
  • Options
    SlitzSlitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, not sure where I'd stand in terms of fatherhood. It isn't something I actively think on, and now that I am I can't help but just dread the thought of kids, especially having kids within the next...eight years. I suppose I'll opt to be a dead beat for now.

Slitz on
    Signatuuuuuure!
  • Options
    edited July 2008

And they are all generally worthless when it comes to what counts. Unless you like taking advice from some asshole who doesn't know your kid.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've actually been consciously analyzing parental methods since my earliest memories, so I have a fair idea of what kind of parent I would be, if something terrible happened.

I would be one of those wishy washy parents who push too hard and try to organize every moment of a kids life but then get too frustrated with it and give up for awhile and just shrug and generally annoy the hell out of the poor bugger.

The kid, of course, would be capable of ruling the world.

But they would roll their eyes about me fairly often.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to think I'd be a cool, relaxed, straightforward parent, who gives their kid the appropriate amount of discipline balanced with the appropriate amount of freedom.

In reality, I'd probably be a neurotic, overprotective, manipulative asshole.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Than lets ruin babies together.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

And they are all generally worthless when it comes to what counts. Unless you like taking advice from some asshole who doesn't know your kid.

Yeah, those Montessori bastards. What do they know?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, those Montessori bastards. What do they know?

Aren't those fuckers communists or something? Montessori... sounds pinko to me.

Drake on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll probably just spoil my kids. The kind of dad that makes the mom be the disciplinarian.

At least, ideally. By then, who knows what kind of crippled asshole I'll become?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunno.

Hopefully a good one.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    ITT: We learn ELM will die poor.
    Hey, my superfund is active and taking unfair advantage of government programs.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will consume the flesh of my children as soon as they are born.

Perhaps not. It's still under consideration. But what I will do is highly stress proper etiquette and manners to my children. So many Goddamn people these days are impolite assholes who have no manners what-so-ever, especially in retail. A little smile and a "Have a nice day" would be appreciated!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've never wanted children. But my sister has five kids so I get to be the "cool aunt", then hand them over to her whenever they start crying. Aunthood is awesome.

LadyM on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to be a good Dad for my kids, I know that much. Hopefully the eventual Mom will agree with me on most of my endeavors.

Stuff I want to make sure that I do:

- Read to them a whole bunch
    - Let them know my position on religion and let them choose for themselves
    - Be frank about sex . Introductory lesson at 9 or 10 and full lesson at 14 or so.
    - Keep up with technology so I can keep a virtual eye on what might be influencing their social habits
    - Encourage them to get good grades, but make sure they know that it is not the end of the world if you appear average.
    - Assist with post secondary, but only when they have got me convinced that they have either A) a solid plan as to what they want to do afterward or B) confess that they just like learning stuff and want to go for fun

Shurakai on
  • Options
    ScrumptiousScrumptious Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Deleted

Scrumptious on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All I know my kids are going to be fucked, name wise.

William-Howard Andrew Meekin - WHAM
    Brandon Anthony Meekin - BAM

Pamela Anne Meekin - PAM (See what I did there)

Also one of my kids is going to have the middle name supa-fly. In honor of Weird Al.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    This is absolutely terrifying to me. I for one am really, really frightened by the prospect of having children.

What will I do when they won't listen? Won't abide by punishments? Is it possible to write off your kids? What do I do if they turn into murderers? How do I feel? Am I comfortable placing my 'legacy' in someone else's hands?

It's all scary.

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'd like to think I'd be a cool, relaxed, straightforward parent, who gives their kid the appropriate amount of discipline balanced with the appropriate amount of freedom.

In reality, I'd probably be a neurotic, overprotective, manipulative asshole.

I'd like to think the same thing about myself, too.

In reality, I'd probably be chilly, passive, and emotionally neglectful.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    This is absolutely terrifying to me. I for one am really, really frightened by the prospect of having children.

What will I do when they won't listen? Won't abide by punishments? Is it possible to write off your kids? What do I do if they turn into murderers? How do I feel? Am I comfortable placing my 'legacy' in someone else's hands?

It's all scary.

Be like my father and hit the little bastards. And tell the kid he/she is the least favorite of the siblings! :lol:

Dashui on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Or you could be like my dad and just... leave.

*ba-da bing*

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My father was... a drinker and a fiend.

wHy sO seRioUS?

Dashui on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Firm but fair I hope.
    My parents were fairly strict and big on not spoiling us, teaching us the value of hard work etc. I hope to do the same.

One thing I'd like to continue is the idea that there's no pocket money for no work. Jobs around the house have a value assigned... You want £10? thats cleaning the car inside and out... That kind of thing.

Also - if I have girl/s... No makeup before 21, and no boys ever*

*I may relax this one by their late 20's.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]