As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Lose Your Faith in Humanity" Thread (Now With Inspring Words by Pony!)

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah man the Air Force really isnt that bad.

Also fuck enlisting. Become an officer.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    coming from a military family, and seeing how they all turned out, and listening to what they think on the subject, i actually have a very negative view of the military as anything but the basic necessity we need it for.

it's not a great thing to do with your life, you do it because you want to do it, and because someone needs to do it and you feel the calling to be that guy.

if you don't, you shouldn't.

Pony on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Seph wrote: »
    If you have too much self esteem the military will try to break it
    have to little? it will try to force you to get more, enough

so you can do what you need to do
    follow orders

exactly

the military is not there to make you a better person

it is there to make you into the person your country needs you to be

a soldier

if you aren't looking to become a soldier, joining any military is a stupid idea

I don't blame people for thinking otherwise, even though they are wrong. Television marketing and the persuasion of army recruiters are great "illusions"

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the military can also be massively destructive to people who are really out of shape and lack self-esteem

boot is not exactly therapy.

actually boot camp is made to, over time, boost your confidence in yourself, your training and your physical ability level.

the military is not full metal jacket

over time

whether a person survives that process is a question of the individual

some do

some don't

some kill themselves

but in the end, i think it's a less healthy option than say

just making better choices about your activities and your outlook on others

ahahahaha oh my god

listen half the guys in my company were overweight kids with low self esteem, and every single one of them surpassed the army's physical fitness standards and graduated. i doubt the percentage was much different throughout the battalion, hell, even the brigade. while i was there, at least, not one person in the battalion killed themself

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i am glad for you that you had a positive experience with that longbaugh

i still wouldn't recommend it to others

ever

Pony on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    getting your ass to the gym and working out and sticking with an exercise regimen with a buddy going with you to help make it into a habit is also a good way to build self-discipline while getting in shape

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I do think people have far too much emotional investment in deciding early on what to do with themselves

a year ago, you wouldn't have been able to predict what kind of person you would be today, so why are you trying to lay down an overarching structure that's supposed to lead you to retirement and the grave?

live your life, get an education, have some fun and make good decisions as you come across them

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

ever

idno maybe you should try it before you give a lot of advice on the subject

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the military is a good option for some

for others it's not

as with all things, there is no blanket solution for any individual's problems

what worked for someone else might not work for you, what didn't work for someone else might work for you

so you gotta take a moment and be extremely honest with yourself (or have someone else help you with that) and come up with a way that you know will be effective for you

AND STICK TO IT

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    coming from a military family, and seeing how they all turned out, and listening to what they think on the subject, i actually have a very negative view of the military as anything but the basic necessity we need it for.

it's not a great thing to do with your life, you do it because you want to do it, and because someone needs to do it and you feel the calling to be that guy.

if you don't, you shouldn't.

I disagree enormously, and I come from an extremely militaristic family that has been a part of the government and the army since before the country's conception.

My friend, the valedictorian, comes from an extremely poor family, and couldn't afford to go anywhere that didn't give him a full ride. Rather than deal with applying to Ivy League schools and hoping for a full scholarship, he just went to the Air Force Academy with the intention of studying mechanical engineering. He is basically facing belonging to the government until he's 28, serving in the Air Force until he's 38, and then being pretty much done for the rest of his life, only working out of boredom if he so desires, as well as enjoying the enormous perks of being an individual in a commanding position in the service of our nation.

I think I'll always wonder what would have happened if I had followed him, because my family made the military look awfully damn appearing.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

ever

can you actually imagine me in the military?

the idea is laughable

but nonetheless, seeing how screwed up my father's entire family has ended up because of military service out of familial obligation

yeah

naw

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This may be just a movie quote, but i think it was a good one and it applies

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
    Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.
    Marcus Aurelius: And what is that?

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess it's not smart to join the military in my state. I'd rather be mentally and physically prepared for joining the military, after all, the reason I wanted to join was to serve my country in it's defense, and I feel I may regret not doing it later in life.

Basic on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I freaked out for a month over what to do with my life.

Then I said "Fuck it, I'm going to major in theater because I can" and now I'm a lot happier.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Shankusu could I make a request of you?
    Would you guys make some kind of note in your posts as to who it is that made the post

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Would you guys make some kind of note in your posts as to who it is that made the post

what "you guys"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind and shatter what little self-confidence I have, if I set foot in boot camp.

I have a tendency to sort of withdraw from any conversation or situation whenever I'm being yelled at about something I don't feel I have any control over. It happened quite a lot with my Dad. I'm pretty sure that's an Aspergers thing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008
    My brother was in the military for only four years and he told me the story of how there was a golden gloves vegas boxer in the infantry with him

this boxer was slightly insane and ready to fight anyone

he still got in

it is not hard to join the military and be accepted

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

ever

Did you miss when he said lots of his family served, and how he was a cadet at some point in his childhood?

and, since my last bit got BOTPed:

I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind and shatter what little self-confidence I have, if I set foot in boot camp.

I have a tendency to sort of withdraw from any conversation or situation whenever I'm being yelled at about something I don't feel I have any control over. It happened quite a lot with my Dad. I'm pretty sure that's an Aspergers thing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

what "you guys"

we're a dichotomy, you see

Shankusu on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seph wrote: »
    This may be just a movie quote, but i think it was a good one and it applies

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
    Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.
    Marcus Aurelius: And what is that?

I don't understand people who don't like Gladiator.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

what "you guys"

Shankhill Butcher

Kusugutatitaiaiaitittai

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    basic really doesn't have that much shouting

don't let movies fool you

Pony on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

ever

the idea is laughable

but nonetheless, seeing how screwed up my father's entire family has ended up because of military service out of familial obligation

yeah

naw

Are they screwed up because of the military, or are they screwed up because there's a "familial obligation" imposed upon them to go be in something?

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I had a plan for my life
    Go to community college, do two years, transfer, finish getting my CS degree, get a job, live
    And then the last couple weeks I thought to myself "Donald K Wiggin you are not ready to do this.
    You got some growing up to do before you are ready"
    And now I have a new plan in that I only have a plan for my immediate future

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Staxeon wrote: »

ever

the idea is laughable

yeah

naw

Are they screwed up because of the military, or are they screwed up because there's a "familial obligation" imposed upon them to go be in something?

they're screwed up because they chose to go into the military for the wrong reasons.

which is a bad idea for basically any field

but especially bad for a contractually obligated career that owns you for basically the rest of your life and changes your entire lifestyle and mindset and basic ability to relate to others

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »

what "you guys"

Shankhill Butcher

Kusugutatitaiaiaitittai

well that was the joke

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my plan is

go to college
    graduate
    sell an awful lot of land in arizona
    write maybe
    probably do some drugs

Shankusu on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My problem with boot camp (besides my flat feet) would be that, for whatever reason, when people are screaming at me I can't help but laugh uncontrollably.

This makes them angrier.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    boot camp really doesn't have angry screaming

nor did it ever, really

hollywood sorta made that up

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My problem with boot camp is I'm in terrible shape and don't do well with people shouting at me
    Family don't even get to shout at me unless we are full blown arguing
    If you're just yelling at me to try to establish authority I stop respecting you until you shut up

Me Too! on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    the military is a good option for some

for others it's not

as with all things, there is no blanket solution for any individual's problems

what worked for someone else might not work for you, what didn't work for someone else might work for you

so you gotta take a moment and be extremely honest with yourself (or have someone else help you with that) and come up with a way that you know will be effective for you

AND STICK TO IT

All we did is say hey its an option check it out, it's not like we are recruiters with an agenda or something. It's easy to sit up high and tell people the things they need to do to fix their life. They haven't climbed that tree though, they haven't seen life as others have. Some people do not have that strong of will power, telling people "Hey just quit fuckin smokin" doesn't do them much good if they are addicted. Sure I know people that have quit it cold Turkey just fine, that doesn't mean everyone can.

Not everyone can just go hey this is what I need to do with my life, lets to it. They need some prodding or poking or some kind of epiphany that changes them.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    My problem with boot camp (besides my flat feet) would be that, for whatever reason, when people are screaming at me I can't help but laugh uncontrollably.

This makes them angrier.

that's what everybody thinks until they're actually getting screamed at and made to run up hills for three hours until they're ready to pass out from exhaustion

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it is much easier to break people physically

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My problem with boot camp is I'm in terrible shape and don't do well with people shouting at me
    If you're just yelling at me to try to establish authority I stop respecting you until you shut up

ahahaha

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    boot camp really doesn't have angry screaming

nor did it ever, really

hollywood sorta made that up

From reading some military books about peoples accounts of Vietnam, yes there is screaming involved.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the thing with basic is it's not just something you try for a couple weeks and see if you like it or not

it's a contractual obligation

you're making an important decision about the next few years of your life, at the very least, if not the rest of your life.

which, since your country is at war if you live in north america, means that your life might in fact be extremely dangerous, stressful, and possibly short.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Umaro wrote: »

This makes them angrier.

that's what everybody thinks until they're actually getting screamed at and made to run up hills for three hours until they're ready to pass out from exhaustion

Yah, you learn to keep your bearing pretty quick.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »

ahahaha

I have a problem with LISTEN TO HOW LOUD I CAN GET DO WHAT I SAY BECAUSE I AM LOUD
    Fuck you
    That ain't earning my respect
    That's just being loud

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the thing with basic is it's not just something you try for a couple weeks and see if you like it or not

it's a contractual obligation

you're making an important decision about the next few years of your life, at the very least, if not the rest of your life.

which, since your country is at war if you live in north america, means that your life might in fact be extremely dangerous, stressful, and possibly short.

Shhh, we need more recruits if shit goes down with Iran, don't talk about the contract.

Jigrah on