As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Lose Your Faith in Humanity" Thread (Now With Inspring Words by Pony!)

• Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »

did i say you are?

no

but you clearly self-identified with the rest of that statement

so much so you took umbrage with the apparent inconsistency

do you see how this is a problem

'twas a joke.

But then again, I made the joke because I still identified myself with the rest of the statement.

I see your point.

Basic on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and thats how he came up with the music video, Speedin

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i would not recommend anyone join the military as a self-confidence builder or a method of getting a handle on their life.

my father's entire family is military, including him, and i was a cadet for most of my youth.

Pony on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bibble why are you such an insufferably annoying cunt most days?

Listen, Basic? Slainbylich? Have either of you guys considered military service? Lots of people join the military because they do not know where to go and feel trapped. These really aren't bad reasons, you know.

Now, I am a civilian, but I have multiple friends who have served in various branches, one of them was an alcoholic at age 19. He joined so he could secure his future, get money for school, and marry the girl of his dreams. Right now he's married and will be finished with his service in 3 months. The military has improved his life immeasurably.

The military is an alright suggestion except for the consideration of the stress it puts on everyone

My sister is getting married next month to a guy she has been dating for seven months, and he's going to Iraq in october for a six month tour

Understandably, an otherwise happy occasion has been marked by the overhanging tour of iraq

It can help you get your life together, sure, but realize the risks involved before you make the leap.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the dankest of blunts

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the military can also be massively destructive to people who are really out of shape and lack self-esteem

boot is not exactly therapy.

Pony on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Umaro wrote: »
    Bibble why are you such an insufferably annoying cunt most days?

Listen, Basic? Slainbylich? Have either of you guys considered military service? Lots of people join the military because they do not know where to go and feel trapped. These really aren't bad reasons, you know.

Now, I am a civilian, but I have multiple friends who have served in various branches, one of them was an alcoholic at age 19. He joined so he could secure his future, get money for school, and marry the girl of his dreams. Right now he's married and will be finished with his service in 3 months. The military has improved his life immeasurably.

NOTE: Also you might die.

I can't pretend to be particularly informed about the military.

But Basic Training doesn't sound like the best choice for overweight, deeply self loathing guys with attitude problems.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    what the hell is going on in here

Teefs what have you done

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    pony doesn't have any points

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something magical

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    the military can also be massively destructive to people who are really out of shape and lack self-esteem

This here is why I will never join unless drafted

Me Too! on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Staxeon wrote: »
    Bibble wrote: »
    579 words

high score insert initials _ _ _.

What's high score mean? Did I break it??

Bibble, that was worth a good laugh.

Pony, Good Advice.

Those closer to suicide then others, Often people will give you the advice "Just be yourself". I hate that advice because it doesn't do anyone any good. The intent behind that saying is "Just be comfortable". We all have different personalities and behavior styles depending on the environment we are in. I know I do not swear at all in front of my grandparents, and everything from my posture to how I say things changes.

You can create these different personalities to suit your situation, you just have to figure out what you want. That is something many people have a hard time in life. It's not easy and there are no books for it, but it is possible. You can do whatever you set your mind to. People have done it in the past and will do it in the future. The amount of roadblocks you encounter are related to your intelligence, your looks, and your finances.

In the end, you are defined by your actions and your wants. Figure out what you want, strive for it, and everything will fall into place.

Our personalities change depending on our wants and environment. All the power to change your image into whatever you want is there.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goddammit.

My friend is currently chilling in a studio in L.A. with M.I.A.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seph wrote: »

seph do you like me or hate me today

i figure you are like harvey dent

flipping a coin

Pony on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i wonder what the ratio of Military --> Success is to say, Military --> Coffin

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i would not recommend anyone join the military as a self-confidence builder or a method of getting a handle on their life.

my father's entire family is military, including him, and i was a cadet for most of my youth.

Really? Is it that bad? I've actually been considering the military as an option.

Basic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

both are lower ratios than Military --> Divorce and lingering depression

Pony on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I've got one cousin, one brother in law, and three friends going in october

i'll let you know my own personal ratio next april.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony that may have something to do with the realization that you're in Canada

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

you mean Army, Navy and Air Force all lumped in together? I am going to say that the first option is immensely more common than the second.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Basic wrote: »

Really? Is it that bad? I've actually been considering the military as an option.

basic training will essentially destroy you if you are some out of shape guy with poor self-esteem and a shitty self-identity

it will shatter you

whether you can pick up the pieces and put together a decent fellow out of that is a question of your character

but i certainly don't think it's a healthy option

you could accomplish the same thing by developing an unhealthy addiction, fucking up your life, and going to rehab

that is also a stupid idea

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

seph do you like me or hate me today

i figure you are like harvey dent

flipping a coin

Actually I am not ever hating on you
    i may give you a hard time some days but it is not hate fueled

your points about the military are valid, it is a organization of people turned tools/weapons

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    using the military as a kind of nuclear option for deciding what to do with your life seems like an extremely bad idea

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

actually boot camp is made to, over time, boost your confidence in yourself, your training and your physical ability level.

the military is not full metal jacket

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah but an MBA costs too much, Dichotomy

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    By the way I mostly advocated the military because you guys felt trapped by your choices in regard to scholastic things.

As Pony pointed out, the self esteem and shit isn't going to be cured by the Military.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Of course don't be your fucking self. I was myself for five years and it didn't get me nowhere.

You have to change yourself. Your personality and appearance are not static. You're a goddamn human being, and you can grow and be a wonderful snowflake.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    there is one, and only one, reason you should join the military

because you want to actively aid in the defense of your country from armed enemy forces and you are comfortable with killing people in the pursuit of doing so, even if only by associoation.

if you are doing it for any other reason besides that, it's the wrong one.

this is what my dad told me, and it's the reason i didn't join.

Pony on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some people have self-esteem issues because they have no direction with their life. The military gives this to you, it forces it on you and it causes some people to thrive.

You will grow and you will develop self-discipline, you will see progress in yourself. I would see military service being bad for people that have chemical instabilities due to genetics or other oddity. Otherwise enlisting is an excellent way of picking you up by your bootstraps and giving you a new hold on life.

Check out enlisting. It will broaden your horizons and give you a new perspective on life.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    my family has a history of naval involvement

my grandfather was the Head of Naval Research for a great many years

trust me, the army produces a lot of fucked up individuals. the navy and the air force, not so much. every person from my family that was in the military went on to a wife, kids and a stable career in the field of their desire.

my best friend and the valedictorian of my class went into the AFA about a month and a half ago. gotten a few letters from him - it was pretty rough at first, but he seems to be doing really well now.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    using the military as a kind of nuclear option for deciding what to do with your life seems like an extremely bad idea

Maybe in the offseason, when we're not at war.

Then it might be a good idea.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    newsflash: there is no quick fix for self-esteem issues

you have to work at it, BY YOURSELF, FOR YOURSELF

it is hard and it is tough and it is easy to slip and falter but it is worth it at the end

good friends will support you

but in the end it takes a mental adjustment and an awful lot of willpower

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

actually boot camp is made to, over time, boost your confidence in yourself, your training and your physical ability level.

the military is not full metal jacket

over time

whether a person survives that process is a question of the individual

some do

some don't

some kill themselves

but in the end, i think it's a less healthy option than say

just making better choices about your activities and your outlook on others

Pony on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Maybe in the offseason, when we're not at war.

Then it might be a good idea.

unless of course, war were declared

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If you have too much self esteem the military will try to break it
    have to little? it will try to force you to get more, enough

so you can do what you need to do
    follow orders

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also if you join the navy your grandson might run for president watch out for that.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If you have too much self esteem the military will try to break it
    have to little? it will try to force you to get more, enough

so you can do what you need to do
    follow orders

exactly

the military is not there to make you a better person

it is there to make you into the person your country needs you to be

a soldier

if you aren't looking to become a soldier, joining any military is a stupid idea

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Some people have self-esteem issues because they have no direction with their life. The military gives this to you, it forces it on you and it causes some people to thrive.
    Other things will give this to you, too. Like sitting down, sorting through the things you enjoy doing and are good at doing in your life, and pursuing a career in those things. Or at least prioritizing your goals and coming up with a way to reach them.
    You will grow and you will develop self-discipline, you will see progress in yourself. I would see military service being bad for people that have chemical instabilities due to genetics or other oddity. Otherwise enlisting is an excellent way of picking you up by your bootstraps and giving you a new hold on life.

Check out enlisting. It will broaden your horizons and give you a new perspective on life.

There are a million other things you can do that will accomplish these things. Enlisting is far from the only or best option.

Vivixenne on