As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PHOTO THREAD v. 2.15769302

• Options
    hardlovehardlove Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    My local area at sunset
    img1317ad1.jpg

An old broken down house

img1299ev6.jpg

A tree.

img1326hy6.jpg

hardlove on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Have to get round to doing that other photo thing
    class.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    benz0rs - Your second gun photo and your pimpmobile are my favorites! I love the blast of sunset color in the pimpmobile, and the cat's-eye view of the gun/shades is fresh.

Phonehand - That faucet is pretty nifty. You've seen my B&W and so you probably know that I tend towards higher-contrast, but the colors (shades? tones?) in yours are really nice.

saltiness - my favorite of your photos is the car dashboard / road picture. I love the washed out colors.

Sheri - I like the framing of the first sunset photo better. The shot is more simple and I love the richness in color! Really lovely!

CoffeE_BuzzZ - I love that cat photo! The framing is excellent! You've got the whole thirds thing going on, plus cats love to look with only one eye when they're hunting/playing. So it really looks "cat"!

hardlove - The tree is my favorite, but I wonder if it might look better rotated 90° clockwise?

JAmp5 - I don't like any single element in that closet-door photo, but I fucking love the overall piece. How'd you manage to do that to me? The stripes in the sleeve match the lines from the blinds, the shadow on the door is lined up even with the door handle, and the thing hanging from the handle makes the handle+thing into a single object, balancing the shadow. I'm really impressed and wish I could compose this well. My hat's off to you.

EDIT:

Inzigna - I like #s 3 and 4 the best. 3 maybe my total favorite.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Which art school, saltiness?

Jonis on
  • Options
    CoffeE_BuzzZCoffeE_BuzzZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    benz0rs -
    CoffeE_BuzzZ - I love that cat photo! The framing is excellent! You've got the whole thirds thing going on, plus cats love to look with only one eye when they're hunting/playing. So it really looks "cat"!

he loves it when i take pics of him...he would do all these things then stop and pose so i can take a pic of him...hes too adorable...i love my Taro lol

CoffeE_BuzzZ on
  • Options
    CoffeE_BuzzZCoffeE_BuzzZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    P9.jpg

CoffeE_BuzzZ on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty

<3

Sheri on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I can't see this one being like the others I parade around, but I'm an equal opportunity photographer. :P

page0_blog_entry16_1.jpg

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    haha thanks erisian. my cousin liked that sunrise (it was like 6:30am haha) pimpmobile photo a lot, too.

and coffee, i <3 your cat for some reason. and I usually hate cats cuz they poop in my front yard.. but your cat... the nose and eyes attract me.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm glad someone got it, that’s the appeal it had for me too :D

And yay! everyone is commenting something which I'm incredibly bad at, photography in this forum has really grown in the last few months which I am damn happy to see, everyone seems to be progressing and gaining more style and experience. Hopefully me included.

In more depressing news my D70 fell off its tripod the other day and now my pop up flash doesn’t work, this also means I can't use it as a remote for my SB800. I’m insured but I’m pretty sure I’ll just use the money for a D80/ D200 :cry:

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bummer. Sometimes you can get these for cheap. Then you'd have my kinda setup. :-P I don't have the privelidge of wireless commander.

master_shake on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    JAmp is a total photo-whore. Always taking and taking and taking and never giving anything back.

Just kidding. <3

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I am here to further scar your eyes.

LARP Part Deux

IMG_8490b1.jpg

IMG_8492b1.jpg

IMG_8509b1.jpg

IMG_8514b1.jpg

IMG_8518c1.jpg

IMG_8523b1.jpg

IMG_8528b1.jpg

IMG_8540b1.jpg

To be honest I think it's a swordfighting club or something, not LARP.

Sheri on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I dunno, there is the guy in the armor...

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    I dunno, there is the guy in the armor...

Maybe he just takes it more seriously than everyone else.

Sheri on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    They aren't overweight and middle-aged, so I'm guessing not LARP.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jonis wrote:
    Which art school, saltiness?

Academy of Art in SF.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Today I took a trip over to Historic 25th inbetween classes to finally take some photos before they fix the place up. Results:

dsc0044bxv9.jpg

25th is home to some real fantastic resteraunts/clubs/bars, but I ate here:

dsc0037bkc0.jpg

dsc0045bzz9.jpg

dsc0077bqf3.jpg

dsc0080bhi9.jpg

dsc0081bat9.jpg

dsc0063bsr5.jpg

Some "double exposures:"

dsc0059byi8.jpg

dsc0057bjk7.jpg

etc, etc

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Last = win

So hard

<3

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    :o

<3

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Pabst is not Milwaukee's favorite beer. Trust me. I'm from Wisconsin.

2006_09_12_1.jpg

master_shake on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dude, nuh-uh. Why would they lie? It is only 5 cents!

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Also, checking out things at ISO 1600:

dsc0098bkn9.jpg

woo film grain!

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Take that @ 7rpm and I'll be amazed with even with ISO 99999999. 9. nine. nein. no?

but that last pic with the statue thing double exposure is hawtsauce. and was the beer really 5cents?

benz0rs on
  • Options
    pirate bobpirate bob Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    benz0rs wrote:
    the Pimpmobile:
    altimamotionblurwd1.jpg

Nice, but you forgot to blur three things, the tires and reflections and a driver. the tires and reflections are stationary, but should be blured like the background. That and a moving car usually has a driver.

pirate bob on
    sig.jpg
    If I hide myself wherever I go
    Am I ever really there?
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    pirate bob wrote:
    benz0rs wrote:
    the Pimpmobile:
    snip

Nice, but you forgot to blur three things, the tires and reflections and a driver. the tires and reflections are stationary, but should be blured like the background. That and a moving car usually has a driver.

sshhhhh. haha. there actually is a driver but I guess the reflections and such covered him up.

maybe I'm so pro that I got the car to stop real quick for a picture, but it was so quick that the trees in the back couldnt stop moving. Have you thought about that? huh? huh?

cars3v1wm8.jpg
    there! are you happy!? i uncovered the truth...

If you look at it in a brighter mode, you can see little specks that are dead bugs smashed on the front bumper and grill. :)

Back on topic, I'll see what I can do to make it look like it really is moving.. haha. I hope I still have the psd file.

edit: driver's aren't blurred...
    n6008192_30720114_4059.jpg
    edit2: or is that a fake too? i dont know whats real anymore!

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    benz0rs wrote:
    Take that @ 7rpm and I'll be amazed with even with ISO 99999999. 9. nine. nein. no?

but that last pic with the statue thing double exposure is hawtsauce. and was the beer really 5cents?
    I am only 20 so who the hell knows?

Hehe, I put Historic 24th in my post and the first picture clearly says 25th.

God I am dumb.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    hardlovehardlove Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    thankyou very much pope
    much appreciated.
    will try :)

hardlove on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    First post on the photo thread.

I've been real amateur for quite some time, starting with a canon eos (35mm SLR, not the new digitals) and now a Canon A80.

I've found that some of the best pictures are the ones that had no prep time, and were just shot without thinking. Case in point, one of my favorite (of course it has nothing to do with my daughter =P )

241448783_cce06a80fb.jpg

I'm stuck in Japan right now, so I'll upload some of my more 'interesting' pics later this week.

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    tachyon wrote:

I've been real amateur for quite some time, starting with a canon eos (35mm SLR, not the new digitals) and now a Canon A80.

I've found that some of the best pictures are the ones that had no prep time, and were just shot without thinking. Case in point, one of my favorite (of course it has nothing to do with my daughter =P )

241448783_cce06a80fb.jpg

I'm stuck in Japan right now, so I'll upload some of my more 'interesting' pics later this week.

More interesting? There's nothing uninteresting about this one! The expression is priceless, the color is lovely, focus is dead-on, her eyes are just beautiful. It may be a stop underexposed, but that could be fixed in Photoshop, if you have a problem with it, and if not, hell, it fits the mood provided by the 'rainy' look beyond the glass (it may not have been raining, but that's definitely the impression I got). The only thing I might have asked for is a horizontal composition, with her in the left of the frame. But it's still beautiful, and definitely more than just one of those family snapshots. :^:

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    tachyon wrote:

Sonja

More interesting? There's nothing uninteresting about this one! The expression is priceless, the color is lovely, focus is dead-on, her eyes are just beautiful. It may be a stop underexposed, but that could be fixed in Photoshop, if you have a problem with it, and if not, hell, it fits the mood provided by the 'rainy' look beyond the glass (it may not have been raining, but that's definitely the impression I got). The only thing I might have asked for is a horizontal composition, with her in the left of the frame. But it's still beautiful, and definitely more than just one of those family snapshots. :^:

I appreciate the kind comments. I have to say that all of her photos are awesome (proud papa, can't ya tell?).

And yup, it had just started to rain. We were chasing each other on the deck (other side of the glass door) and it began to rain, so we ran back inside.

I'm not sure why, but I like this one of her too. She is offcenter, and the lighting could be adjusted, but it's just, different, you know.

242343592_f244238d7c.jpg

Maybe thats a question for folks here. Does a picture always have to be perfect? By that I mean 'textbook' perfect. (even though I'm not sure what that means really).

For instance I try and do some basic things when taking photos. For people, try to get a good lightsource behind me, center the person, more focus on the subject rather background, etc.

But what happens when these factors (or whatever factors you feel make a good picture) don't occur? I'd like to see some photos posted where things were a bit 'off' but because of that, the photo seemed more real.

Ok enough of my ranting, it's late in Tokyo and I'm bored. =)

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Don't start on the centering thing. People willl quote the rule of thirds like it's god and then we won't get anything done for pages.

But know that the subject being offcenter is NOT a bad thing.

And no, photos don't have to be technically perfect. Hell, I don't think I've taken one of those yet.

P.S. I'm not as fond of that one, but I really love the first you posted. ;)

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    =) No worries.

In other news, I hope santa claus brings me this

541161261_bg.jpg

Maybe next year. Baby number 2 is on the way =)

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    tachyon wrote:
    =) No worries.

In other news, I hope santa claus brings me this

541161261_bg.jpg

Maybe next year. Baby number 2 is on the way =)

New baby is a perfect camera-buying excuse. >.>

Sheri on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    page0_blog_entry17_1.jpg

Go team.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Topher587Topher587 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    img1007afr8.jpg

Topher587 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I love the perspective on that one. It's nuts!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sheri do you remember when a shit-ton of us here were arguing about centering and all... oh fun times.

olol.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    During my drive to work, there are no good views of the sky that aren't at least partly obscured by lampposts and telephone wires and whatnot. Still, I cranked these two shots out (among many others) and think that the manmade objects aren't too distracting from the sky.

sunrise-800x600.jpg

sunrise2-800x600.jpg

While previewing this post, I really feel like the top one is inferior. I used "reduce noise" to counter the effect that my canon powershot has with sky shots (excessive color noise) and it made the wires look funky. I'm going to leave the pic in the post, though.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wanna buy a duck?

duck.jpg

Any suggestions?

My girlfriend asked me to take a good picture of this duck and she was going to convert it to black and white and put it in the bathroom, but when I desaturate it, it loses basically all contrast... I just looks like a big grey blob.

superglue on
This discussion has been closed.