Gunstar Heroes

2»

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of Treasure games, Alien Soldier? I played it on Gametap but I don't think I get it. I mean, I get it, but I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This was a fair candidate for best Genesis game.
    Hell, I'd call it best game of the 16-bit era on the right day.

Xagarath on
  • Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I still think the best boss in the game was not seven force or red or even the awesome green battle, but Captain orange.

Every other boss in the game damn near is decked out with robots and lackeys and jetpacks and bombs to kill you with. Orange?

"fuck that shit", orange says, as he casually kills gunstar blue with an attack that's resembles a cross between a muscle flex, a exploding train, and a prolasped rectum.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of Treasure games, Alien Soldier? I played it on Gametap but I don't think I get it. I mean, I get it, but I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about.

I imported it from...Brazil? I think. When I used a converter cartridge, it ran 20% faster than it was supposed to (because it was meant for PAL) and was extremely hard to play. I didn't make it past the first boss.

I bought it for the Virtual Console last year, and while it was nice to play it at its normal speed, I still sucked at it and couldn't beat the first boss. Of course, I gave up pretty easily. but I just didn't have the patience for it. Apparently it even has Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes.

SteevL on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This was the first game I bought on VC.

The second was Sin and Punishment

Tig on
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

I imported it from...Brazil? I think. When I used a converter cartridge, it ran 20% faster than it was supposed to (because it was meant for PAL) and was extremely hard to play. I didn't make it past the first boss.

I bought it for the Virtual Console last year, and while it was nice to play it at its normal speed, I still sucked at it and couldn't beat the first boss. Of course, I gave up pretty easily. but I just didn't have the patience for it. Apparently it even has Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes.
    It also has Melon Bread, apparantly.
    Never got quite far enough to confirm that one.

Xagarath on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh wow. This was the first VC game I picked up.

I used to play this up until about a year ago, with a friend every tuesday round his. Crack out the old Mega Drive (woo borders) and blast it. I took Blue, he was Red. I took usually nailed the fast shot and homing whereas he got the laser and fire.

The thing I really remember is that Seven force on hard is REALLY hard. If you did the Mines first you were screwed unless you were very good.

Ahhh memories.

Also fuck cackling M Bision look-a-like man. Asshat.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's a game for people who liked Gunstar Heroes but thought it was too easy and didn't have enough bosses. In other words, "fuckawesome."

Most people don't know what they're getting into, though. You are expected to have every single move in your arsenal mastered from stage 1 onward, and the learning curve is a ten-story vertical wall. The default difficulty is "SUPERHARD," even. It doesn't fuck around. Once you actually know how to play it, though, it's fairly easy going. I think the US version of Dynamite Headdy is a harder game, honestly.

The first 4 stages.

I made a fairly detailed thread for it elsewhere if you want a rundown of the gameplay mechanics. (Check under the spoiler tag.) HG101 also has a decent write-up for it.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited August 2008
    Dynamite Headdy is amazing, but it does become insanely hard around the time of Towering Infernal.

Xagarath on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I'd call it a solid contender for best game of all time.

Tube on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kaimaka wrote: »
    Gunstar Heroes is a run 'n gun shooter developed by Treasure for the Sega Master System. As far as I know, it's pretty celebrated around here and for good reason.

Master System? Gunstar Heroes is a Mega Drive / Genesis game. After a quick google search apperently there was a rare port to Sega Master System and Game Gear but even so most people will be familar with the Mega Drive version.

I bought Gunstar Heroes on Virtual Console and played it with my brother. Next time we're in same city we have to finish the fourth level and the game.

Sorry, meant Mega Drive. Little mix up there.

Not to nitpick or hijack, but this is a question that has been bugging me for some time.

Why do so many people call the Genesis; Mega Drive? I know that's the japanese name, but it seems like it's the popular thing to do. NOBODY calls the NES, or SNES, Famicom or Super Famicom... yet the Genesis gets this treatment. Why?

Honest question here.

Also, I love Gunstar Heroes. I played the shit out of it back on my Genesis and I still enjoy playing it today. It really is timeless.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Not to nitpick or hijack, but this is a question that has been bugging me for some time.

Why do so many people call the Genesis; Mega Drive? I know that's the japanese name, but it seems like it's the popular thing to do. NOBODY calls the NES, or SNES, Famicom or Super Famicom... yet the Genesis gets this treatment. Why?

Honest question here.

Also, I love Gunstar Heroes. I played the shit out of it back on my Genesis and I still enjoy playing it today. It really is timeless.

I think it was also called the Mega Drive in Europe.

SteevL on
    edited August 2008

Honest question here.

I think it was also called the Mega Drive in Europe.

This is correct.

Xagarath on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    it was called the mega drive everywhere but north america

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Also I like Mega Drive better so I'm going to use it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2008
    God, I never realized how much I loved Treasure until I found out most of my favorite games were made by them. I have (or had) Silhouette Mirage for the PS1, Bangai-O for the N64 (Japan only, only 10,000 copies made. Had no idea, got it as a birthday present), I played the shit out of Ronald McDonald on the Mega Drive as a kid (I still remember most of the game)...I think they're why I enjoy really bizarre games.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought for a minute you were claiming that M.C. Kids was made by Treasure, which would have been awesome.

It wasn't, though.

But still, M.C. Kids is awesome and it's one of the few games that will never have a chance for release on VC, I'm sure.

UnbreakableVow on
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Never played any of them but I may pick it up on VC. What's the difference between GH and Gunstar Super Heroes?

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited August 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    Never played any of them but I may pick it up on VC. What's the difference between GH and Gunstar Super Heroes?

Gunstar Super Heroes is essentially a remake with a couple of nice tricks but a less interesting weapons system, and on the whole weaker bosses.

Also: English release of Bangai-O DS soon. Very soon.

Xagarath on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    lightning + chaser

done

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've only beaten this game once on my Wii but I was quite partial to the souped-up machine gun. Kind of like the extended flamethrower too.

Also this is the best Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno man I'm pretty partial to Decapattack

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have never heard of that.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    you play as a mummy who can throw his skull at enemies

it's pretty fun

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited August 2008
    I prefer to alternate between lightning saber and grenades, myself.
    I don't think there's a boss who doesn't fall easily to one or the other.

Xagarath on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Alien Soldier's Seven Force was rather different from Gunstar's though. Different modes and only five of them (which makes you wonder why it's called Seven Force).

And since there's mentions of the stuff that didn't make it in Gunstar Super Heroes, it's worth mentioning that game's Seven Force was at one point planned to be Seventy Force. The devs had done the groundwork for all the modes and patterns but they realized they couldn't implement such a gargantuan idea in a reasonable timeframe.

chevluh on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kaimaka wrote: »
    I bought Gunstar Heroes on Virtual Console and played it with my brother. Next time we're in same city we have to finish the fourth level and the game.

Dude, there's a whole other level after we do those four main ones. Well, maybe not a whole level, but we have to chase that M Bison guy around for a while and fight him a few times.
    It revolved around Golden Silver, the God of Ruin, a robot programmed to suck the energy out of planets and destroy them. Many years ago, the Gunstar Heroes defeated it and sealed away its energy source - four mystical gems - in the moon. The Gunstar Heroes then sealed themselves in capsules and went into a deep sleep. All was well...

...Until a madman named General Gray decided to revive Golden Silver, believing it would bring him to Utopia. With his agents Pink, Black, Orange and Green (one of the former Gunstar Heroes now under his control), General Gray extracts the four gems from the moon. The Gunstars are awakened to stop Golden Silver once and for all.

what

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
    edited August 2008
    Jandaru wrote: »
    It revolved around Golden Silver, the God of Ruin, a robot programmed to suck the energy out of planets and destroy them. Many years ago, the Gunstar Heroes defeated it and sealed away its energy source - four mystical gems - in the moon. The Gunstar Heroes then sealed themselves in capsules and went into a deep sleep. All was well...

...Until a madman named General Gray decided to revive Golden Silver, believing it would bring him to Utopia. With his agents Pink, Black, Orange and Green (one of the former Gunstar Heroes now under his control), General Gray extracts the four gems from the moon. The Gunstars are awakened to stop Golden Silver once and for all.

what
    Looks about right from here.
    Doesn't mention Smash Daisaku, though.

Xagarath on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    best console game of all time right here

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I might have to get this game. This and Earthbound are the only 2 games my one friend talks about constantly that I've never played. Oh and Toe Jam and Earl.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited August 2008
    I just bought this game yesterday...

...for my friend. It was his birthday and I asked him if there was a VC game he wanted me to gift him.

"Gunstar Heroes"

That ass.

UnbreakableVow on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now you can go play it with him. You should be happy.

piL on
    edited August 2008
    piL wrote: »
    Now you can go play it with him. You should be happy.

He lives three hours away, which is why he didn't get a proper present.

UnbreakableVow on