As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IPTV for PAX07

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
Oh yeah, for the NESkimos and other performers, there were a ton of people watching in the BYOC room, cause we had a projector up there and could listen through a vent channel. Very great performance. Can't wait to see again next year.
This got me thinking. IPTV would be awesome for pax07. I know it's going to be at a bigger venue next year, but there's still a chance you might miss a showing, due to a tournament or something.

It shouldn't be too hard to set up a camera and mic in every threater, and make each camera a different IPTV channel.

Thinking about it, if we use the same methods my old workplace used, it might be a costly venture, but it's definately worth checking into, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2006
    It's a great idea, but the main problem (at least at the Maydenbauer) is Internet access...which is already a highly in demand resource, between the computer area and the expo hall.

As it is, this year we had them bring in an entire seperate Internet line specifically for the event.

But it's definitely something I'll be pushing for, when the time is right. I have no idea how the Internet supply is at the new location, so you never know.

David Coffman on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't think he is suggesting broadcasting off-site. A 100mbps network should be able to handle that just fine, with enough room to spare to saturate whatever internet connection you are using.

tl;dr:
    The tubes won't be clogged if the dumptruck doesn't go out of the building.

Doc on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh. We had a projector displaying stuff from the concert halls along with sound pumped along through Ventrilo, and that's going to be something we expand on in the future.

We may also end up doing a streaming video as well. Although, come to think of it, there may be some legality issues there, so it'll be something we have to look into.

David Coffman on