As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] ITT: Metaposting is ruining the immersion in the thread

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Guys. I want to write an adventure and actually have it work. But I can't get my brain going.

Man I could give you lists of ideas.

Maybe you could have an adventure involving space whales.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How about an evil zealot trying to unearth an ancient weapon of war, and only the party's skills can acquire the 7 magical MacGuffins before he does and use the weapon to defeat the zealot before he destroys the world?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Guys. I want to write an adventure and actually have it work. But I can't get my brain going.
    what do you mean by "actually have it work?"

and what did you have in mind for the adventure?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So.

What do you think of a defender class ability "no, fuck YOU" power of shoving someone one square per tier under defender-esque conditions? With the ability to instead target your ally in case you're fighting dwarves or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You should look at other adventures in Dungeon first Goose. See how they are set up, format and that sort of thing and go from there. The latest adventure, called the icy spire (or similar) IMO is good and you should consider having a look at that.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So far, most of the DnD adventures have been top notch. If not in plot, then at the very least in encounter design. There are a lot of really cool features and monsters that I am finding as i read through them. Seriously they are really good.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So far, most of the DnD adventures have been top notch. If not in plot, then at the very least in encounter design. There are a lot of really cool features and monsters that I am finding as i read through them. Seriously they are really good.

Yeah, the amount of detail has generally dropped (Last Breaths of Ashenport aside, but I note that's because it's a direct conversion of one of the previous modules) but the encounter design IMO is much better. I'm currently converting an older module and thinking to myself "how is one crocodile supposed to be any challenge to a group of 5 PCs ?"

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

Yeah, the amount of detail has generally dropped (Last Breaths of Ashenport aside, but I note that's because it's a direct conversion of one of the previous modules) but the encounter design IMO is much better. I'm currently converting an older module and thinking to myself "how is one crocodile supposed to be any challenge to a group of 5 PCs ?"

I don't mind a lack of detail. It let me put an entire assassin sub plot into the Siege without much trouble.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Incidentally, tell your DM that 25 points is for weaksaucers. 32 points is where it's at.

Only carebears use 32-pb. If you're really hardcore, you'll go 15-pb and take an NPC class.
    No, 'cause Adepts can actually be usable. Play Samurai.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incidentally, tell your DM that 25 points is for weaksaucers. 32 points is where it's at.

Only carebears use 32-pb. If you're really hardcore, you'll go 15-pb and take an NPC class.

Pfft, point buy. Real men start as peasants with pitchforks, 10, 10, 8, 10, 8 and 12 stat array and their first encounter is surviving the bout of syphilis they got off the local prostitute.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

Pfft, point buy. Real men start as peasants with pitchforks, 10, 10, 8, 10, 8 and 12 stat array and their first encounter is surviving the bout of syphilis they got off the local prostitute.
    Pfft. Real men take minimum HP rolls and fight unarmed. They have all 1s besides Int, which is 3. They start with 0.5 HP.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Real women have 16+ Charisma. Always. Except for 'comically' butch fighters.

[TINY]Am I doing this right?[/TINY]

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Real women have 16+ Charisma. Always. Except for 'comically' butch fighters.

[TINY]Am I doing this right?[/TINY]

Yes.

And they can wear a suit of chainmail bikini that still has the same armour class as a full suit of platemail. Nobody knows why, but they can.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because monsters only attack their tits and ass. It makes sense!

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I got a good laugh out of this.

Brings back some memories. The flamewars back then were so entertaining, especially when it was implied anyone who didn't want to add negative numbers was a braindead retard.

Good times.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, is it just me, or is the traps encounter in Keep on the Shadowfell the lamest thing ever?
    My party just shot the statues with long-range weapons after the first one activated, like, you know, anyone would.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, is it just me, or is the traps encounter in Keep on the Shadowfell the lamest thing ever?
    My party just shot the statues with long-range weapons after the first one activated, like, you know, anyone would.

Wait, you're playing 4E?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Wait, you're playing 4E?

There is a conspiracy afoot!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have thoroughly enjoyed everything we've done so far. Well.... Except for that blasted exploding skeleton. That guy can go to hell.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How different is the character creation process from 3.5E to 4.0E? I don't have the 4.0 books or anything, but my GM is going to be moving to Australia within a year, so I should be thinking about planning for the future. I'm totally engrossed by the DnD game in general (which I think is due to my GM's really awesome blend of mainly story and awesome combat) and actually spent today refining two characters that I may never get to use while I was doing laundry.

Anyway, how difficult would it be to convert my 3.5E character concepts to the 4.0 game?

LaOs on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Concepts are easy. Mechanically though, a direct conversion is pretty much impossible AFAIK.
    Not that this should put you off; tell us your concept and we can maybe give you an example?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm building a Genasi Warlord. Do these feats stack?

[CLASS ABILITY]
    Firesoul: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your Reflex
    defense, resist 5 fire, and the firepulse power.
    At 11th level, the resistance improves to 10 fire.
    At 21st level, the resistance improves to 15 fire.

[FEATS]
    Versatile Resistance [Genasi]
    Prerequisite: Genasi
    Benefit: You gain resist 5 cold, resist 5 fire, and resist 5 thunder
    regardless of your elemental manifestation.

Manifest Resistance [Genasi]
    Prerequisite: Genasi
    Benefit: Increase the resist value provided by your elemental
    manifestation (if any) by 5. For example,
    when manifesting firesoul at 1st level to 10th level, you gain resist
    10 fire (instead of resist 5 fire).

[Here is what I'm not sure about:]
    I'd get a 10 resist fire with the Manifest Resistance feat if I was
    using the Firesoul element. It's part of the class ability.
    I'd keep the resist cold and resist thunder with the Versatile
    Resistance as a Firesoul, even though I didn't have that element
    manifested.
    As a Firesoul Genasi, my resists would look like (Fire 10/Lightning 5/
    Cold 5)

[QUESTION]
    Would these Versatile resists get boosted with the Manifest
    Resistance?
    Would I get (Fire 15/Lightning 5/Cold 5) if I was in Firesoul form, or
    (Fire 10/Lightning 5/Cold 5)?

Also, if I take Manifest Resistance/Versatile Resistance as a combo,
    do I get +5 to ALL of these at once (10 resist Fire, 10 resist
    lightning, 10 resist cold), regardless of what element I'm
    manifesting, or do I need to have an element manifested that has one
    of these resist values built into it?

I want to pick a soul that doesn't have a build in resistance so I can
    get a great movement ability (shifty Watersoul), but getting sweet
    sweet 10+ resists on the FIRST level is too good to pass up. Help me
    out.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At level 2, if you've taken them both you are at 10/5/5

Versatile resistance does not stack with your class ability.

Manifest Resistance does not apply to Versatile Resistance.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LaOs wrote: »
    How different is the character creation process from 3.5E to 4.0E? I don't have the 4.0 books or anything, but my GM is going to be moving to Australia within a year, so I should be thinking about planning for the future. I'm totally engrossed by the DnD game in general (which I think is due to my GM's really awesome blend of mainly story and awesome combat) and actually spent today refining two characters that I may never get to use while I was doing laundry.

Anyway, how difficult would it be to convert my 3.5E character concepts to the 4.0 game?

Its alot less stressful to make a character in 4e, I dunno about you but I would always be worried that in my attempt to make a cool guy I would make a terrible combat character. Here you have to actively try to make a terrible character, and even then they arent that bad. Its pretty easy to pick up though.

As for converting your character... yeah probly wont be able to do it. You can take the idea of your character and recreate that... but you wont be able to make a guy who can do the same exact things.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wizards has a set of articles for every 3rd Edition base class with ideas on how to make a similar character. All of them are along the lines of "choose a certain build of a certain 4E class", but a few have special powers that could help capture the feel of a 3rd Edition class. The monk "conversion" probably goes the most in-depth: basically, you take a two-weapon ranger and tweak the class features until you get a monk.

The first "Converting Your Character" article starts with the PHB at 6/13/2008 on the list, with the rest above it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At level 2, if you've taken them both you are at 10/5/5

Versatile resistance does not stack with your class ability.

Manifest Resistance does not apply to Versatile Resistance.
    And as far as I know, resistances never stack. You use the highest value for each energy type.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wait, you're playing 4E?
    I'm running Keep on the Shadowfell for one of my groups. We're doing it over the internet, and frequently miss sessions, so it's taking awhile. Is anyone going to answer my question?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Several traps have that problem, but I feel it is balanced with the fact that they do a shit-ton of damage.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Several traps have that problem, but I feel it is balanced with the fact that they do a shit-ton of damage.
    So why would you put a bunch of statues in the same room with limited-range attacks, and have the very first one that attacks do it well away from any of the others?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It is a first level adventure. They could just be there to make the party start thinking, "OMG traps!"

The easy fix is simply to move the pressure plate to the center of the room in range of all the statues. If you do that, though, you risk gibbing the unlucky SOB who runs ahead of the party.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quick question/mini-poll for everyone:
    From the articles published so far, what would you guys put in a "Dungeon and Dragon Magazine: The Best Of" compilation?
    I ask for two reasons; one because I don't pay attention to Dungeon because I don't DM and I would like to know more and two; because I hear they are going to be pay-only soonish and would like to make sure I get the best bits available before that happens, just in case.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It is a first level adventure. They could just be there to make the party start thinking, "OMG traps!"

The easy fix is simply to move the pressure plate to the center of the room in range of all the statues. If you do that, though, you risk gibbing the unlucky SOB who runs ahead of the party.
    They're virtually guaranteed to be second level by the time they hit it, if not third. And what about the statues in the bottom of the room?

It's a pretty fucking stupid room.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm with the opinion that it's there to make them think about traps, not be an impediment in any way.

It's a metatrap room.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I’m running a game for some friends using Maptool, but there are only three of us. More would be better. So I figured I’d put up an invitation to see if anyone here wanted to join us (and making a new thread seemed like overkill).

Game time will be this Tuesday night (10/14), 8-11pm EST. I’ll have the server going a little earlier in case people need help getting things set up. We’re using Maptool version 1.3.b45 for the game and Hamachi to connect to each other (if this means nothing to you, don't worry, I can explain later). No voice chat this time around, though we may start using it in later sessions. Speaking of which, I’m only asking that anyone who’s interested commit to these three hours, but you’d be welcome back if you can make it to future sessions.

We’ll be doing Rescue at Rivenroar with fresh level 1 PCs and standard creations rules (22 point buy, etc) as per the player’s handbook. No experience required – my friends haven’t played DnD in years. They are playing a dragonborn fighter and a tiefling rogue.

If you’re interested, send me a PM!

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I was watching TV and doodling the new D&D races tonight. Pen and ink with markers:

4eheads1.jpg

I might do a few more if there's anything in particular people would like to see. I'd like to eventually clean some of these up into "finished" pieces if I have time.

DMAC on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks good as always Darren.

I wish tieflings, as portrayed in the books, didn't look so dumb. The way wizards has given them horns makes them look terrible.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    They will never know the joy of wearing a hat. :cry:

DMAC on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Awesome, DMAC. I'd love to see your take on elves or dwarves.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    From the articles published so far, what would you guys put in a "Dungeon and Dragon Magazine: The Best Of" compilation?
    I ask for two reasons; one because I don't pay attention to Dungeon because I don't DM and I would like to know more and two; because I hear they are going to be pay-only soonish and would like to make sure I get the best bits available before that happens, just in case.
    The Yeenoghu and Gnolls articles, the Barb and Artificer playtests, the Codex of Betrayal devil, and the Class Acts articles (Wizard, Warlock, Swordmage). Oh, and the Ritually Speaking one.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the crunchier articles. And gnolls.

EDIT: Don't really look at Dungeon much, but the Last Breaths of Ashenport adventure is supposed to be good. And Goum apparently likes the Scales of War adventures, that's what he's running us through.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Just download the compiled versions - you get it all

MrBeens on
This discussion has been closed.