As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Rain O X L2+X YOU DIE!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I want this game, but I don't know if I'll pick it up right away. It seems like it would leave you a bit depressed. It's a very dark game, after all.

well sure it's dark, but so are a lot of movies and books. do you avoid watching seven because it'll leave you upset? no, because the tone is handled carefully and as such the mood contributes to some greater meaning

it'll be a big step for videogame-kind if he pulls it off, but so far cage's narrative theory has been impressively sound and if anyone can do it, it's him

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I hadn't gotten my PS3 for free, this would have been the reason I would buy one. I knew that as soon as I finished Indigo Prophecy and heard about their next game.

Cannot wait

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone been following the Four Days ARG thing they've got going? I got wind of it today and it looks potentially quite interesting.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so far cage's narrative theory has been impressively sound and if anyone can do it, it's him

The last 1/3 of Indigo Prophecy wants a word with you. :P Seriously, I loved that game, but I don't think I've ever played another game that just went utter apeshit with it's story the way that one did. It speaks volumes about how good the first 2/3rds was that the game remains so memorable to me.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    so far cage's narrative theory has been impressively sound and if anyone can do it, it's him

The last 1/3 of Indigo Prophecy wants a word with you. :P Seriously, I loved that game, but I don't think I've ever played another game that just went utter apeshit with it's story the way that one did. It speaks volumes about how good the first 2/3rds was that the game remains so memorable to me.

Wasn't that planned as a trilogy though, and then they had to shove 2 games worth of story into the end because they couldn't do the other 2 games? I thought I read that somewhere.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Has anyone been following the Four Days ARG thing they've got going? I got wind of it today and it looks potentially quite interesting.

It hasn't really started yet, (According to the site it starts January 26th) but yes, it does look like it'll be interesting. Hopefully the internet doesn't ruin it.

Speaking of ruining it, apparently the ESRB description continues it's dumbass routine by spoiling the game. So might want to avoid reading it.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

well sound narrative theory does not necessarily equate to excellent storytelling in practice

but it's one of the things that is necessary if you're hoping to one day further the artform

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    David Cage is like the Molyneux of interactive narratives (er, aside from Molyneux himself). Unabashedly ambitious, slightly mental, but otherwise well-meaning. I want to believe he can pull this off, but both Omikron and Indigo Prophecy had loads of potential, and both went completely off the deep end.

I mean, bless him for trying to get it right, at least. I just hope the third time's the charm.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game is literally the only PS3 exclusive that might eventually make me buy the system

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game is literally the only PS3 exclusive that might eventually make me buy the system

No love for The Last Guardian?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    David Cage is like the Molyneux of interactive narratives (er, aside from Molyneux himself). Unabashedly ambitious, slightly mental, but otherwise well-meaning. I want to believe he can pull this off, but both Omikron and Indigo Prophecy had loads of potential, and both went completely off the deep end.

I mean, bless him for trying to get it right, at least. I just hope the third time's the charm.

This time it seems he just went with a pretty simple story to narrate - finding a murderer. It lets him build the characters more deeply around a simpler narrative.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

No love for The Last Guardian?

It looks cool, I didn't really know about it until you told me

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Wasn't that planned as a trilogy though, and then they had to shove 2 games worth of story into the end because they couldn't do the other 2 games? I thought I read that somewhere.

I don't think I've heard that before. What I've heard is that the ending was part Atari being incompetent and part Quantic Dream really not knowing how to come up with a climax to the game. The good thing is that they've acknowledged how Fahrenheit went off the rails near the end and have said that Heavy Rain won't have anything similar.

Anyway, thanks to my brother being useless, it looks like I'll be adding this game to my Q1 list. I'm still going to keep an eye on the reviews though. As much as I like unique games, I've been burnt a couple of times recently (Brutal Legend mostly, which I liked but didn't really think it was worth buying).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They've said Heavy Rain won't be supernatural like Indigo Prophecy, but they could always be lying. There are some goofy xray glasses.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They've said Heavy Rain won't be supernatural like Indigo Prophecy, but they could always be lying. There are some goofy xray glasses.

Yeah, but that's more like SUPER AWESOME CSI TECHNOLOGY!!!

At least, that's what I keep telling myself to keep the lingering doubt at bay.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah. It's basically making a 'gamey' bit of equipment to help out with the fact that most people don't know what a detective would actually be looking for.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah. It's basically making a 'gamey' bit of equipment to help out with the fact that most people don't know what a detective would actually be looking for.

They work really well, it helps the flow of the gameplay. Admittedly amongst a game that is otherwise grounded fairly firmly in reality you need to suspend a bit of disbelief for the specs, but what they add to the game is worth it.

I played through (no big spoilers)
    The detective in the garage scene and the Cop in the Shop with a mugger scene

They were interesting to play as I could see on the screens next to me people on the same bits but taking them in somewhat of a different direction (nothing mindblowing, but enough to add replayability).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

They work really well, it helps the flow of the gameplay. Admittedly amongst a game that is otherwise grounded fairly firmly in reality you need to suspend a bit of disbelief for the specs, but what they add to the game is worth it.

I played through (no big spoilers)
    The detective in the garage scene and the Cop in the Shop with a mugger scene

They were interesting to play as I could see on the screens next to me people on the same bits but taking them in somewhat of a different direction (nothing mindblowing, but enough to add replayability).

Does it actually make any difference though? That was one of the big let downs in Indigo Prophecy when you realised doing all the extra shit didn't really matter, it just kept a depressionometer bar up high.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately the scenes in the demo were just that, scenes. I wasn't able to see how anything panned out in the long run. I found it considerably more involving than Fahrenheit (however you may want to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I LOVED Fahrenheit, up until it went all bat shit crazy).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think he's learned his lesson somewhat.
    David Cage wrote:
    What Went Wrong:

1: The Story - The Bad

Generally speaking, the scenario and characterization worked particularly well but a few glitches in the writing prevented the scenario from reaching the level of quality I was aiming for.

Here are some of them in no particular order:

- one bad guy per story is enough: the Oracle was the real enemy in Indigo Prophecy and I think his characterization was quite good. The AI that comes into play at the end of the game only adds confusion to the plot.

- you can make people believe anything in a scenario, but only once per story. In the case of Indigo Prophecy, the story of Lucas, guilty of a murder he never really committed because controlled by the Oracle, was THE unreasonable proposition in my scenario, which the players accepted without difficulty. The series of new developments at the end, although built into the first scene (the crow representing the AI is a leitmotif throughout the game) constituted a series of added propositions that went beyond what the players/spectators could reasonably accept.

- I made the mistake of not devoting enough time to the last hour of the game. I was convinced (and rightly so) that the first hour of the game would be decisive for hooking the player, but I naively thought that one hour from the end the player's opinion would be made. I therefore devoted most of my time to the rest of the game in order to make it as perfect as possible.

This was obviously a mistake. I was forgetting that what leaves a lasting impression on the player is often the end, and that a bad ending can change his perception of the whole game.

It won't happen again…

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Booo to GameStop!

I just went and pre-ordered this and they were like "Oh, it comes out February 2nd."

The prospect of Heavy Rain and the Lost premiere in the same day nearly sent me into cardiac arrest in the middle of the store

Still, I figured maybe their computer was wrong so I got home and checked and it's confirmed for February 23.

Be still my beating heart

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So... watched the trailer. What is this, QTE Rain? Heavy QTE? I don't know, there's a joke in there somewhere, you put it together.

The chick is kindof ugly, and the animation needs some work. She's got a case of muppet-mouth when she talks.

By that trailer alone, I'm not sure what the intrigue is all about on this one.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's not for you

It's driven completely by story and QTEs

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So... watched the trailer. What is this, QTE Rain? Heavy QTE? I don't know, there's a joke in there somewhere, you put it together.

The chick is kindof ugly, and the animation needs some work. She's got a case of muppet-mouth when she talks.

It's the video game equivalent of:

chooseyourownadventure.jpg

Except it's slightly more "interactive" and you probably don't die in most of the endings (I could be wrong.)

You definitely play it for the story and the story alone, hopefully that at least is good.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Indigo Prophecy was such a waste, I was expecting a brilliant murder mystery game where hiding the evidence in that first impressive scene or being sloppy would lead to wildly differing circumstances as you hunt the real killer. But after the first scene its all very basic and what do you do has little impact on anything. This does so far appear to be similar, like they've shown the convenience store scene and you can do it a few ways but they're all going towards the same conclusion.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The story will wrap up at the end, yes

But in that convenience store bit:

- You can convince the robber to surrender
    - You can kill the robber
    - The robber can kill the clerk
    - The robber can kill you

All of which affect the story.

It's the journey, not the conclusion.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    The story will wrap up at the end, yes

But in that convenience store bit:

- You can convince the robber to surrender
    - You can kill the robber
    - The robber can kill the clerk
    - The robber can kill you

All of which affect the story.

It's the journey, not the conclusion.

I meant more in terms of the scene conclusion. I mean obviously I don't know but I imagine that either the robber or clerk appearing after it is low so the only real outcome seems to be, you get info on Origami or don't, or die. I just like games with huge variation, from the Deus Ex thread, like this game, it boils down to one conclusion and the ending is only based on wht you do at the ending but theres a huge amount of stuff you can do off the beaten path in DE. I'm going to play this though, don't get me wrong, love murder mysteries.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Go watch the GamesCom demonstration on youtube (it should be there) or Gametrailers. The QTE's kick in when there's an action scene but the fun of the game will be the various different ways you tackle a situation. Your character can even die and the story will continue, since you control multiple different characters throughout the game.

Ragnar Dragonfyre: Nice trolling, Captain Trollalot.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Go watch the GamesCom demonstration on youtube (it should be there) or Gametrailers. The QTE's kick in when there's an action scene but the fun of the game will be the various different ways you tackle a situation. Your character can even die and the story will continue, since you control multiple different characters throughout the game.

I'll gracefully bow out of this thread, because admittedly I don't have anything good to say about this game. I'm not trying to be a troll. I just don't understand the excitement behind a fully QTE driven game.

I honestly thought there would be far more cynicism surrounding this game on this forum, truth be told.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This seems like the evolution of the adventure genre, like the Sam and Max titles and what not.

It looks intriguing, and it seems like the sort of game that would be perfect to play in short bursts. I may bite, as long as the reviews don't trash it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    This seems like the evolution of the adventure genre, like the Sam and Max titles and what not.

It looks intriguing, and it seems like the sort of game that would be perfect to play in short bursts. I may bite, as long as the reviews don't trash it.

I expect the reviews will be highly polarized between those that "get" what the game seems to be attempting to accomplish, and those that are just looking at it as QTE Rain. Now obviously how well Quantic is able to deliver is up for review; but some people seem so closed to the ideas presented that this game has no chance of a favorable review from them.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Totally a tangent from the topic here, but Carbon, your avatar reminds me that Castle Crashers is supposed to be coming for the PS3, and not since the announcement made some months ago, I haven't heard a peep about it. You'd think it'd be a relatively simple project to get it ported, or at least throw an update once in a while on progress.

Anyway, I'm excited to play this game. Up until a few weeks ago, I never really had this game on my radar but a couple of friends who are hardcore 360 fans were entertaining the idea of getting a PS3 because this game was just that interesting to them. After reading around about the game itself, ignoring everything Omikron or Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, I'm sold. Will be playing this day one if possible.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember the big uproar the tech demo caused. I'm mildly interested in this game, but only because it's like a movie. I'll borrow it from friends/rent it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'll gracefully bow out of this thread, because admittedly I don't have anything good to say about this game. I'm not trying to be a troll. I just don't understand the excitement behind a fully QTE driven game.

I honestly thought there would be far more cynicism surrounding this game on this forum, truth be told.

Fahrenheit, before it goes crazy, is held in pretty high regard by a lot of people here. And besides it's closer to an old style adventure game than Dragon's Lair.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, that tech demo was way more impressive looking than most of what I've seen of the actual game. I'm still looking forward to it for sure, but that tech demo was pretty astounding and what I've seen of the actual game doesn't totally live up to it.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, that tech demo was way more impressive looking than most of what I've seen of the actual game. I'm still looking forward to it for sure, but that tech demo was pretty astounding and what I've seen of the actual game doesn't totally live up to it.

What?

It looks worlds better now, and the eyes aren't nearly as creepy

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ooh yeah, I just rewatched a bit of it and it's not nearly as impressive as I remember it being. my bad, y'all.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Totally a tangent from the topic here, but Carbon, your avatar reminds me that Castle Crashers is supposed to be coming for the PS3, and not since the announcement made some months ago, I haven't heard a peep about it. You'd think it'd be a relatively simple project to get it ported, or at least throw an update once in a while on progress.

I wouldn't hold my breath, it took Behemoth over 4 months just to fix the online co-op on the 360 version. I love Castle Crashers, but Behemoth is far from a stellar developer. </tangent>

I'm quite interested to see how different Heavy Rain will play out based on your choices / how you perform throughout the game. This game has a chance of advancing how we think about interactive storytelling, which is especially important in the current, rather stale gaming climate.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Fahrenheit, before it goes crazy, is held in pretty high regard by a lot of people here. And besides it's closer to an old style adventure game than Dragon's Lair.

in general threads about Indigo Prophecy tend to skew towards "the first half hour was good, and then bad QTEs, nonsense, stereotyping, and full-on lunacy"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

Exactly. I could see myself just needing to decompress and essentially play a fairly interactive story.

DrunkMc on
This discussion has been closed.