As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWAT 4 Game On] Guys, Guys Look, This Game Is Awesome. Let's Play This.

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goddamnit, fuck the Diamond mission.

tofu on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it too late to get in on this? I had a lot of fun with SWAT3 despite the fact what *I* considered a credible threat justifying the use of lethal force was apparently considerably different from how the game qualified it. And on the hard difficultly levels the AI took it's sweet time making a decision, and then when it decided it moved so fucking FAST and was so fucking ACCURATE.
    "Hmm....the human has asked for my compliance again. Am I going to comply? I don't know. Maybe I will comply this timejustkiddingbangyou'redead."

So eventually I got to the point where I decided, screw you guys, I'm done trying to read your mind to see if you want to give up or not. If I blow this door off it's hinges, throw in a flashbang, and issue a general compliance order while I come through the door, and you're still holding a gun and facing my general direction by the time I get around to aiming at you, you haven't correctly identified quickly enough just how willing I am to shoot you in the face. I'm done wasting a flashbang and two CS gas canisters on each of you just so I can personally ask each of you nicely to drop your guns.

Needless to say while my mission completion rate went up, I didn't win a whole lot of medals after my first few weeks of gameplay.

...I'm not selling myself as a member of the team very well, am I? I'm really good at CQB, I swears!

SammyF on
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so in once my compy gets back from the shop. It has my SWAT4 disc in it.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Goddamnit, fuck the Diamond mission.

You're telling me. I was used to thugs with pistols and uzi's. They were compliant.

Now its all body armor and assualt rifles. Fuckers.

Karl on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I wish I still had Swat4 and expansion! Coop is so much fun..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just tried to do the hospital level in single player. That shit is brutal.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone playing now?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Due to mis-leading estimated times of arrival, I actually won't be getting my copy till next week. This really blows. However, I'm still stoked and will be ready to play...

...next week.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in Hamachi now. You want to host or shall I?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I'm hosting now. Anyone want in, hit us up on the Hamachi channel and use my IP address for the game. Pass is the usual.

subedii on
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anybody else tried the Canadian Forces mod? It's, like, more SWAT. Which is good.

Also I should help youse guys tase some people tomorrow.

natxcross on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    I just tried to do the hospital level in single player. That shit is brutal.

That was the level that made me so angry I got rid of the beanbag shotguns and just shot all the suspects in the face, compliant or not.
    Doing this may get you kicked out of SWAT

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There really should be a way to let you queue up orders for each teams and them tell them to execute simultaneously.

tofu on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So yeah, this Swat 4 thing you guys are doing. I'll join in.

And I can assure you I will not give anyone who uses suspect animations a chance to be alive. I'm not taking a bullet.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shit I was just talking about this game last night, I shall have to find my discs.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There really should be a way to let you queue up orders for each teams and them tell them to execute simultaneously.
    Why is there no SWAT5?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why is there no SWAT5?
    I mean, what's the point of having two teams enter through two entryways if red goes in first and gets show before blue even opens the door?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why is there no SWAT5?
    I mean, what's the point of having two teams enter through two entryways if red goes in first and gets show before blue even opens the door?
    Technically, you can do it simultaneously, you just have to time it really, really well.

Like, really, really well.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Apparently they added this kind of functionality in the expansion. So can you play the original missions in the expansion?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I unfortunately do not have the expansion pack so I can't comment on this right now.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Apparently they added this kind of functionality in the expansion. So can you play the original missions in the expansion?

You can, all the missions are there in the menu.

Basically it's a "Hold / Go" command. You hold down ctrl (or whatever key) when issuing the breach order to one team, and do the same when giving the order to the other team. Then you tell them to initiate and they'll go simultaneously. The also added in a melee attack for compliance, which is the most weedy looking punch ever.

They also added a few new weapons, most important of which is probably the grenade launcher (sting / gas / flash / baton rounds.) and the ammo pouch. Personally I never found myself running out of ammo in SWAT 4, I don't know who did, but they got a lot of complaints about that so they brought in an ammo pouch which effectively doubles your ammo (it occupies a tactical slot).

They also introduced a semi-auto sniper rifle for use in the larger levels and an HK P90 for use in close quarters. The Taser gets an upgrade and can fire two shots now at a slightly longer range (for some reason the old taser is still left in there even though nobody bothers with it now), and can be used in "drive stun" mode. Basically if you use your melee attack with the taser equipped you'll stun the guy and not use any ammo.

The missions are generally about as big or bigger in size, and you can have up to 10 people co-op. Suitable for the larger missions like Fresnel Station, but smaller stuff tends to get pretty cramped with ten officers tramping around.

Next time we play maybe we should set up some custom missions. Things like thirty suspects in a restaurant and no civilians. See how long we survive. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I bought the game last night of D2D--for whatever friggin' reason the original release costs $19.95, the expansion costs $19.95, and the Gold Edition that includes the original release and the expansion costs...$19.95. Basically there was no reason not to get the expansion, so I did. I look forward to playing a game or two with you all when I get home from work tonight.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I've got the original version, patched up to 1.1. I'm ready to lock'n'load.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone up for playin'?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I will be later this evening, starting around 6 p.m. MST (8 p.m. EST).

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the slaughterhouse video sold on this game, I'll have to look up on getting this.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm up for a game whenever. I'll be around before, but I'll definitely be there at 8pm EDT, if we want to set a scheduled time.

Hamachi notices don't show up when I'm in a game, so I'll be on Ventrilo in Game On 3. Head there and yell at me if I don't respond to a Hamachi message.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm up for a game tonight. I'm in central time (Texas). bug me on x-fire or something. I can host and have awesome maps such as the slaughter house. You can download them from www.hot-swat-mods.com. They are the CO-OP map packs 1 & 2.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm down for a game right now. I'm in Hamachi.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Me too. People, get on.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good games all, sorry I couldn't be on for long today.

Although certain people could possibly be more professional in their usage of CS gas against guys that have already surrendered. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    HE STARTED IT

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I can't find them in career or quick mission.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I need to reinstall the damn game, SWAT4 does not play nice with my computer for some reason.

EDIT: Guys? I need some help. Is D2D a region free thing? Or a North America only thing?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm trying to see what I can find for you by way of answers on that topic Inz.

added: While I don't see it stated explicitly that they sell outside of North America, I noted this in their purchasing problems FAQ:
    Are there any restrictions on items I can buy?

GAMES: There are, some games are offered to North America Residents only and some have minimum age restrictions. Please read the Product information page for each game carefully prior to purchase.

This would lead me to conclude that at least some games CAN be purchased outside of North America. Looking at the product page for SWAT4 Gold, I note no such restrictions by region. So it doesn't say explicitly they'll sell to you, but I don't see anything that would indicate that the can't or won't.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it varies from game to game. A bunch are labeled NA only.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hello everyone, I finally caved and bought SWAT 4. I heard about the game almost a year ago and I have finally taken the plunge.

My roommate and I are playing the game through on co-op, lots of fun. Eventually we will get on this online business.

Also, fuck those coked out shooters in the gas station level. I ended up having to shoot six of seven of them. Fuckers.

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

When hosting a game you can select the original missions. IIRC there's probably a way to play them singleplayer in the expansion as well, but I can't remember. I think it might be to do with the quick mission maker.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Are we playing soon? I'm itching.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

When hosting a game you can select the original missions. IIRC there's probably a way to play them singleplayer in the expansion as well, but I can't remember. I think it might be to do with the quick mission maker.

Yes. You don't get to enjoy the nifty audio briefing like you do in the original release and you have to know how to build them in order to get something that plays like the original level, which is a pain. But you get to have a grenade launcher and can punch people in the face with the <b> key. Pros and cons.

Sidenote: fuck the gang bangers at the A-Bomb Night Club. I played the level last night on hard... yeah that turned into Rainbow Six a whole lot faster than I anticipated.

I finished my last major project at work yesterday, I just have to fill out some forms and submit it, at which point I intend to take the rest of the day off and shoot things, if any of you all happen to be on I'm positive that it'd be easier to beat that level with four competent FPS players than the idiot AI officers don't really get the concept of "covering" as well as they should.

SammyF on