As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just bought my second ever Wii card. (First went to Ys 1 & 2 and Mega Man 9)

Leaning towards Sin & Punishment and one of the Bit Trip Beat games.

I kind of want Bubble Bobble + on general principle.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What they need to do is put all the virtual console things from the wii shop onto the DSi shop, and allow purchases be the same across platforms so all those snes games I already bought would work on my DSi. I would buy so much shit.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bit Trip Core is crazy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man I gotta get that but I'm saving for Wii sports2. Maybe I could trick my mother into getting it since the Wii is hooked up at their house anyway.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Made it to the second level. The third must be terrifying. This is one of the strangest rhythm games I've ever played.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stop making me want it more, for it is impossible.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Made it to the second level. The third must be terrifying. This is one of the strangest rhythm games I've ever played.

Haha, nice.

So you went with Core over Beat, yes?

What is your opinion of Core.. I personally have Beat, but haven't had a chance to get Core yet. I really enjoyed Beat a lot, because it's like a mix of shmup, rhythm, and pong, and very fun.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Haha, nice.

What is your opinion of Core.. I personally have Beat, but haven't had a chance to get Core yet. I really enjoyed Beat a lot, because it's like a mix of shmup, rhythm, and pong, and very fun.

Core is craaaaazy.

The notes come from all directions, and you control a crosshair in the center of the screen. When the notes line up one of the center paths, you hit the appropriate direction on the D-pad.

You can imagine how insane it must get later on. I think it has three stages total.

If you do really good, it goes insane with more intense beats/background, like Rez.

If you start failing, it turns into a black and white Atari 2600 game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone here bought Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask? Is it a bug-free version or is it the fucked-up version Nintendo released with the Zelda GC collection? I don't want to blow points on a game that doesn't work.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask? Is it a bug-free version or is it the fucked-up version Nintendo released with the Zelda GC collection? I don't want to blow points on a game that doesn't work.

There's absolutely no problems with it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good. I bought the GC Zelda bundle mostly because I never got to play MM. It froze on me three times the first time I played it, so I stuck to the NES Zelda games.

Going to grab it and Link To The Past since my GBA version decided to take a dump on me.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Darklord does not fuck around as you get farther in.

Fuck thieves and their "i'm gonna take out a third of your floor's health in one hit and only stay around for 4 seconds" schtick.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Haha, nice.

Core is craaaaazy.

The notes come from all directions, and you control a crosshair in the center of the screen. When the notes line up one of the center paths, you hit the appropriate direction on the D-pad.

You can imagine how insane it must get later on. I think it has three stages total.

If you do really good, it goes insane with more intense beats/background, like Rez.

I prefer Core over Beat in terms of how the stuff matches up rhythmically. It's still ball-bustingly hard, though. For Core, I think the 2nd and 3rd levels should be switched, because I found that the 2nd level is ridiculously harder than the 3rd, particularly for the boss. It took me about a dozen tries to beat the 2nd level on Core and only 2 to beat the third.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    pslong9 wrote: »

Haha, nice.

Core is craaaaazy.

I prefer Core over Beat in terms of how the stuff matches up rhythmically. It's still ball-bustingly hard, though. For Core, I think the 2nd and 3rd levels should be switched, because I found that the 2nd level is ridiculously harder than the 3rd, particularly for the boss. It took me about a dozen tries to beat the 2nd level on Core and only 2 to beat the third.

How do you do the fourth phase of the second level? Without a power up, it seems impossible to hit all the flying beams.

And that boss is hilarious. (Haven't killed it yet though)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuckin' right!

retro.jpg
    Sure, we really liked the Nyko Wing Wireless Classic Controller for use with the Nintendo Wii, but if we could choose any controller to use with Virtual Console games, it would be the originals themselves.
    Developer Komodo may have come up with a device that could pacify these desires. With the Retro Adapter (to be distributed by Innex), you'll be able to use original NES, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 controllers with Wii Virtual Console games.
    The adapter itself resembles that of a Nintendo 64 console and has three female ports for each system. It connects to your Wii via an open GameCube port. What's even better, the Retro Adapter will work with both first- and third-party accessories, so that no-name Nintendo 64 controller you have laying around may just do the trick. In case you're wondering, yes, you'll be able to use an analog control on the N64 controller as well.
    Innex plans on officially announcing the Komodo Retro Adapter at E3 2009. While retail availability isn't yet solidified, you should be able to grab the accessory online by mid-June for around $20.

I can't count how many times I've almost bought the Retrozone adapters at $20 a piece.

This thing is $20 and does all three. Fuckin' right!

Remember this post from page 81? I do.

There's something I'm wondering: What happened to this thing?! I've heard nothing about this ANYWHERE since that post over a month ago.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to know why Nintendo has this huge backlog of quality games that it is refusing to release on virtual console.

Speaking of which I've been having a hankering for Yoshi's Island lately, but alas, Nintendo doesn't want my money.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    Fuckin' right!

retro.jpg
    Sure, we really liked the Nyko Wing Wireless Classic Controller for use with the Nintendo Wii, but if we could choose any controller to use with Virtual Console games, it would be the originals themselves.
    Developer Komodo may have come up with a device that could pacify these desires. With the Retro Adapter (to be distributed by Innex), you'll be able to use original NES, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 controllers with Wii Virtual Console games.
    The adapter itself resembles that of a Nintendo 64 console and has three female ports for each system. It connects to your Wii via an open GameCube port. What's even better, the Retro Adapter will work with both first- and third-party accessories, so that no-name Nintendo 64 controller you have laying around may just do the trick. In case you're wondering, yes, you'll be able to use an analog control on the N64 controller as well.
    Innex plans on officially announcing the Komodo Retro Adapter at E3 2009. While retail availability isn't yet solidified, you should be able to grab the accessory online by mid-June for around $20.

I can't count how many times I've almost bought the Retrozone adapters at $20 a piece.

This thing is $20 and does all three. Fuckin' right!

Remember this post from page 81? I do.

There's something I'm wondering: What happened to this thing?! I've heard nothing about this ANYWHERE since that post over a month ago.

I violated its female parts and it was never seen again.

In all seriousness.. no clue. I'm wondering how input lag is on that thing though.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Er, problem. How do I get the Gamecube controller to work with the VC? It says it works with Sin & Punishment, but the screen tells me I need a classic controller?

Ah, never mind, wrong jack.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to know why Nintendo has this huge backlog of quality games that it is refusing to release on virtual console.

Speaking of which I've been having a hankering for Yoshi's Island lately, but alas, Nintendo doesn't want my money.

I know what you mean. Not just first party games either, Square-Enix is being really stingy with VC games. I really want to get Illusion of Gaia on VC, but I think I might have to buy a cartridge.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sin & Punishment lives up to the hype. This game is intense.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Just curious. What difficulty, and how far are you (if you haven't beat it yet)?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Just curious. What difficulty, and how far are you (if you haven't beat it yet)?

Normal, I guess. Fighting an entire battleship fleet. It's like something from out of Panzer Dragoon Orta(yes I know this came first :P).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Normal, I guess. Fighting an entire battleship fleet. It's like something from out of Panzer Dragoon Orta(yes I know this came first :P).

I was just wondering if you were saying the game was intense and you had yet to reach the battleship fleet ass-kicking. If that was the case, I was going to say something like "you haven't really seen intense yet".

In a way, you still haven't. :P

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I was just wondering if you were saying the game was intense and you had yet to reach the battleship fleet ass-kicking. If that was the case, I was going to say something like "you haven't really seen intense yet".

In a way, you still haven't. :P

I think I was playing on easy. D:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

And actually, Sin & Punishment came first, but there were two other Panzer Dragoon games in that style before S&P which I'm pretty sure have you taking on some battleship fleet. :) Those games were great for their time.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok what's the releases like for today. I can't check Nintendolife as my work blocks them.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nintendolife says:

WiiWare:
    Tales of Monkey Island Episode 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    The Three Musketeers: One For All!
    HB Arcade Cards

DSiWare:
    Sudoku Student

No VC apparently

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alert the VC nerdrage brigade!
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD : MONKEY ISLAND AND MUSKETEERS, CARD GAMES AND SUDOKU

July 27, 2009

Three WiiWare™ games anchor this week's Nintendo Download. Gamers can buckle their swashes with both the first installment of a five-part Tales of Monkey Island series and a Three Musketeers platform adventure. Meanwhile, fans of card games will enjoy a half dozen classic options in HB Arcade Cards. On the Nintendo DSiWare™ side, beginners can learn the basics of sudoku with Sudoku Student.

WiiWare

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1
    Publisher: Telltale Games
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes
    Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
    Description: Join Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate, in this first chapter of an epic five-part saga, filled with humor, romance and piratey swashbuckling. When a showdown with the demon pirate LeChuck goes up in flames, Guybrush gets marooned on a strange island. How will he escape? Where is Guybrush's beloved wife, Elaine? And what's up with the voodoo pox spreading through the isles? Jump into Tales of Monkey Island today to find out!

The Three Musketeers: One for All!
    Publisher: Legendo Entertainment
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Cartoon Violence
    Price: 900 Wii Points
    Description: The Three Musketeers have been imprisoned by the treacherous Count Xavier and his sinister lieutenant, Count Orsini! Well, almost - take on the role of Porthos, famed member of the Musketeers, to save the day in this swashbuckling platform adventure inspired by the classic novel. Swing the Wii Remote™ to launch blistering sword attacks on your foes, avoid fiendish traps and discover hidden collectables. Packed with frenetic fencing, heroic leaps and fun puzzles, this is one adventure no aspiring hero will want to miss.

HB Arcade Cards
    Publisher: HB Studios Multimedia
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: HB Arcade Cards is a great collection of fun and easy-to-play card games. The collection of games included in this title includes: Rummy, Hearts, Euchre, Canasta, Cribbage and the always-classic Solitaire. Each game comes with an interactive tutorial to show you the rules and basic game play. You'll need to be clever to outsmart your opponents, and you can even team up with a computer partner to play Euchre and Cribbage. You can play HB Arcade Cards using a Mii™ character from your Wii™ console, or play with one of our four new characters. HB Arcade Cards has lots of style and flare, and will keep you coming back for more. Remember, it's never the same game twice.

Nintendo DSiWare

Sudoku Student
    Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: Sudoku Student brings you the first Nintendo DSiWare sudoku experience with all the features you'd expect. For "students" of sudoku who are just getting their feet wet, Sudoku Student comes with a full tutorial. Once you've completed the tutorial, jump into simple and easy-going sudoku puzzles. Designed for entry- to beginner-level players, you'll find just the right amount of challenge to keep you hooked.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop™ and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nerdrage on: What the heck Nintendo...why for are you not supporting VC for two weeks in a row...you have more than enough of a backlog of games that you haven't released yet that there isn't any excuse to not release anything.

I just want Pro Wrestling which Europe has had for over a year, and you still haven't given us. I want to pirahnna bite someone dangit! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've fallen off the VC wagon, predominantly because I'm mostly interested in new stuff instead of new-old stuff, but I can understand the frustration for people who want to explore more of the system. I'm happy to see WiiWare take off, though, and once I'm done with the Monkey Island special edition remake I'm happily going to pony up for the first episode of Tales of MI.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I like the new stuff too, but I love revisiting old games that I haven't played in years. In most cases, I'm too lazy or poor to search out hardcopies of some of my old games. Such as I am not willing to spend 80 bucks for a used copy of Super Mario RPG or Secret of Mana, but the VC gave me both for 8 bucks. I am also hard against Roms and pirating, so it's not like I can just go on a computer and download the games I want.

VC gives me a viable way to relive a bunch of my childhood. It saddens me to see it pushed to the side for the time being.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Because they've got at the least another two years left of the Wii on the marketplace, so they want to spread the goods out. If they release everything at once there won't be anything left to look forward to.

Edit: Myself, I'm playing through Paper Mario. I had it back on the N64 but I never got past the second star for some reason or another.

I bought The Thousand Year Door" a few months back, and as soon as I'm done with Paper Mario I'm moving right into that, and then I'll pick up Super Paper Mario.

Then I'll likely go back and restart Superstar Saga. I never finished that either.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Because they've got at the least another two years left of the Wii on the marketplace, so they want to spread the goods out. If they release everything at once there won't be anything left to look forward to.

Edit: Myself, I'm playing through Paper Mario. I had it back on the N64 but I never got past the second star for some reason or another.

I bought The Thousand Year Door" a few months back, and as soon as I'm done with Paper Mario I'm moving right into that, and then I'll pick up Super Paper Mario.

Then I'll likely go back and restart Superstar Saga. I never finished that either.

I've never really bought the "spread the goods out" argument. Even if they released just one "generally good or better" VC game a week, that's 52 games a year, and considering there are about 10 platforms on the service, that's only asking for 5 good games from each platform. I don't think that's too much to ask. Not everything can be Super Metroid or Majora's Mask, understandably, but having absolutely nothing a few weeks is kind of odd. Hell, they released Sky Kid on the platform.

EDIT: Still, like I said above, I haven't bought anything on the VC in ages so it doesn't personally affect me. I still have barely finished any of the games I have; I went on a big binge and bought a bunch of games every week for a few months, and now they just all stare at me, half-finished. Taking time out to finish the stuff I have is tiding me over plenty.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just finished SuperStar Saga, and I'm working through Partners in Time, all in preperation for Bowser's Inside Story. :D

I am also working through Paper Mario, which I never played having never owned an N64.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think there may be two things at play here. One is that Nintendo may have a huge backlog of WiiWare games to get through and they don't want to take focus away from those games with good VC releases. If I have $10 to spend, and my choice is a) great VC game that is a known quantity, or b) WiiWare game that is an unknown quantity, I'm going to go with choice A most of the time. If Nintendo is trying to build up their WiiWare service and attempting to please those developers, they don't want to release VC games that compete with the WiiWare games.

The other is that I wonder how many VC games are profitable. Obviously the big ones are, but some of the smaller games, I really wonder. I know it's very little work and the biggest cost is likely the $2,500 - $3,000 fee to have the game rated by the ESRB, but I really have no idea how many people are actually buying these games and if non-Nintendo publishers see it as being worthwhile.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want Crayon Yoshi. Any time now. [Yoshi's Island]

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anybody know roughly how many hours of gameplay in My Life as a Dark Lord? I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'm looking for a lengthy experience right now.

Second, I finally picked up Alien Crush Returns yesterday. Am I the only one that has picked up this sweet pinball game on Wiiware? I tried to enter the online versus mode last night, with sad results. The game searched for other players around the world for me, and gave up after three minutes because it couldn't find any :(.

Saddler on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hahah, a few people got Alien Crush Returns back when it came out. But I doubt if anyone's still playing it. Supposed to be a great game though iirc.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After many days of agony, I beat Sin & Punishment on Normal. The second to last level almost made me go to Easy, but I saw it through. The final level offering almost infinite credits helped.

What a crazy game, but epic. I think I understood the plot, but it's so weirdly told that it's hard to be sure.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Now, I don't know if this site is reliable, but it makes sense to me (and it shows I'm sort of right!):

Link
    “We understand your concern about the lack of service on the VC as of late. Due to sales numbers being far greater recently on Wiiware than on Virtual Console, we have decided to steer in the direction of WiiWare.

Also, we in America have NO plans to update the Internet Channel or the Nintendo Channel. We hope you understand”

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png