As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

As an aside, I've posted plenty of WE tactics a while back in the thread. And several of the models you have Mani are direct only (specifically the upside down wardancers) and those warhawk riders are a sweet deal to get for free without the rest of the models, £50 (about $100) on thier own. Pitty they suck.

Thats a bummer. I was really stoked on the warhawk models. Does it make a difference if I use the hooded heads for my glade guard? I like that look way better.

I used the hooded heads to show the difference between scouts/glade guard, but man there your models, go nuts.

So there's no WYSIWYG rule for the hoods then?
    Because fuck they're awesome. I'll probably differentiate my scouts by doing them in a camouflage color scheme.

Its just an alternate head, its go no game effect at all.

Well hi-fucking-5.

I'm putting together a 1000pt list for this weekend, and so far it's a unit of dryads, 2 units of glade guard, a wood elf lord with that magic bow that gives him extra shots, and a spellslinger.

Should I take waywatchers or a giant eagle as my rare?

Is the giant eagle worth it? It seems awesome.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

As an aside, I've posted plenty of WE tactics a while back in the thread. And several of the models you have Mani are direct only (specifically the upside down wardancers) and those warhawk riders are a sweet deal to get for free without the rest of the models, £50 (about $100) on thier own. Pitty they suck.

Thats a bummer. I was really stoked on the warhawk models. Does it make a difference if I use the hooded heads for my glade guard? I like that look way better.

I used the hooded heads to show the difference between scouts/glade guard, but man there your models, go nuts.

So there's no WYSIWYG rule for the hoods then?
    Because fuck they're awesome. I'll probably differentiate my scouts by doing them in a camouflage color scheme.

Its just an alternate head, its go no game effect at all.

Well hi-fucking-5.

I'm putting together a 1000pt list for this weekend, and so far it's a unit of dryads, 2 units of glade guard, a wood elf lord with that magic bow that gives him extra shots, and a spellslinger.

Should I take waywatchers or a giant eagle as my rare?

Is the giant eagle worth it? It seems awesome.

Its not. With only a single rare slot I whould take waywatchers. 5 Bs, Killing blow with shooting, Crazy mad scouting rule ( IM BEHIND UR BATTLLINE SHOOTING UR WIZARDS). Yes expensive but far more effective at 1000point games. Great Eagles can be usefull, but not in such a small game. (As a fun fact WE Great Eagles are more powerfull and cheaper than HE ones)

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I'll take your advice and go with the waywatchers.
    Should I take the waywatcher lord with it?

What about swapping a unit of glade guard for a unit of wardancers?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

A Waywatcher noble with Hail Of Doom arrow is fantastic, getting 3-18 S4 shots on the enemy lines weakest point is one of my favorite tricks with wood elves. It works fantastically on units like goblins or skaven. Last week I managed to HoD someones Hierophant who was out in the open to go on and win the game.

Another fun character is an Alter hero with two hand weapons, helm of the hunt, and a pageant of shrikes for 6+d6 attacks on the charge, with a range of 18". He makes a great hero assassin.

As for glade guard or wardancers, Id say the wardancers. Glade guard are good, but suffer from being a static component in an army that works best on the move. I have only a single unit in my army, and it always ends up being the main target for the enemys advance. (Which is normally good, lets me get in plenty free kills). The best way to play WE is as a surgical army, killing out the weak units, destroying the expensive targets and avoiding anything that will cause you trouble. Wardancers work well to this end, last game I had them roll up an entire empire gun line.

Edit: Also what the hells up with your name mani?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I brain bursta'd my friend's Waywatchers and rolled 12 on the number of hits. Killed all but one of them in one magic phase, such a lucky roll, but thank god it happened or he'd have been annhilated by their arrows. Pretty much got me the game in that one phase.

So yeah, don't let them get magicked. Because they're awesome, but fragile.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

A Waywatcher noble with Hail Of Doom arrow is fantastic, getting 3-18 S4 shots on the enemy lines weakest point is one of my favorite tricks with wood elves. It works fantastically on units like goblins or skaven. Last week I managed to HoD someones Hierophant who was out in the open to go on and win the game.

Another fun character is an Alter hero with two hand weapons, helm of the hunt, and a pageant of shrikes for 6+d6 attacks on the charge, with a range of 18". He makes a great hero assassin.

As for glade guard or wardancers, Id say the wardancers. Glade guard are good, but suffer from being a static component in an army that works best on the move. I have only a single unit in my army, and it always ends up being the main target for the enemys advance. (Which is normally good, lets me get in plenty free kills). The best way to play WE is as a surgical army, killing out the weak units, destroying the expensive targets and avoiding anything that will cause you trouble. Wardancers work well to this end, last game I had them roll up an entire empire gun line.

So glade guard are static? I thought that 5" move, and longbow range would make them pretty hot shit. What are your feelings on Eternal Guard? 15 attacks per round in close combat seems pretty fuck-awesome, but obviously they'd crumble if you didn't have a unit on their flank.

You hear that Smithers? Garbo is coming!

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

So glade guard are static? I thought that 5" move, and longbow range would make them pretty hot shit. What are your feelings on Eternal Guard? 15 attacks per round in close combat seems pretty fuck-awesome, but obviously they'd crumble if you didn't have a unit on their flank.

You hear that Smithers? Garbo is coming!

By static I meant by comparison, they cant march and shoot, and 90% of your army is going to be moving over 10" a turn. Also eternal guard only get 10 attacks on the charge, and are awful. Really. There only toughness three and with a 5+ save. A unit of twenty skeles is about the same but only half as expensive. There a flimsy expensive unit and I guarantee that every single missile weapon, spell, pigeon bomb, anything. It justs asking to be smashed to pieces before it gets anywhere.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So I should just avoid them entirely? (I am perfectly happy with this advice, as they're like $45 for 10.)

I think I'm gonna get another box of Dryads this week, along with maybe a LOTR Ent, as I like the model way more than the Treeman.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So I should just avoid them entirely? (I am perfectly happy with this advice, as they're like $45 for 10.)

I think I'm gonna get another box of Dryads this week, along with maybe a LOTR Ent, as I like the model way more than the Treeman.

The treeman looks horrible. You chould just spray it black and just make it out to be a licorice monster. Dryads are good, and there super easy to paint, just as effective in battle as EG, and about half the cost of an EG unit.

And heres my list, for like the third time this thread.
    12 dryads
    Branchnymph

12 dryads
    Branchnymph

Glade Guard
    Lords Bowman
    Standard Bearer
    Musician
    Aech-Banner of Springtide

Scouts
    Lords bowman

Waywatchers
    Shadow sentinel

Wood Elf Noble
    Way Watcher
    Hail Of Doom Arrow
    rageths wildfire blades

Spellsinger
    Level Two
    Two Dispel Scrolls

Wood Elf Noble
    light armour
    Helm of the hunt
    Two hand weapons

Glade Riders
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Horse Master

Spellweaver
    Level four wizard
    Wand of Wych Elm
    Glamourweave

8 Wardancers
    Musician
    Bladesinger

Norgoth on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I imporved the 1k Lizardmen list, as per your sggestions, dudes.

16 Saurus Warriors @ 252 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Shield; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Scaly Skin;
    Spawning Championw/ Hand Weapon; Shield

16 Saurus Warriors @ 252 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Shield; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Scaly Skin
    Spawning Champion; Hand Weapon; Shield

12 Skink Skirmishers @ 72 Pts
    Hand Weapon; Javelin & Shield; Aquatic; Skirmishers

12 Skink Skirmishers @ 72 Pts
    Hand Weapon; Javelin & Shield; Aquatic; Skirmishers

Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 172 Pts
    General; Light Armor; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Blessed Spawning of Sotek; Scaly Skin
    Burning Blade of Chotec; Enchanted Shield; Talisman of Protection

Skink Priest @ 180 Pts
    Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Blessed Mark of the Old Ones; Aquatic
    Dispel Scroll; Charm of the Jaguar Warrior

Again, 1,000 on the nose.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Might as well go with 15 per saurus unit, since it's ranks of 5 now, not 4.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »

ROOM FOR MORE SKINKS

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Skinks are evil, pure evil. Or awesomeness, depending on who you are. I have a lizardman in the group I got to who runs a fairly balanced list with 2 big units of skinks, a unit of saurus, 6 chameleons and a old-blood with the Jaguar charm.

It is a scary army. Sometimes, his Saurii dont even make it into combat because the enemy army is already dead!

Yeah I hate skinks, especially Those invisible little bastards that set up right next to you, or behind you.

*Shudder*

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ROOM FOR MORE SKINKS

The lizardmen players in my local GW thought so too, until I introduced them to the casket of souls.
    Skirmishers with low leadership? HA HA HA RAPE TIME.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Skinks are honestly pretty awesome overall.
    Cheap, poisoned and skirmishers. They are one of the better light infantry in the game.
    How many points is a Casket any way? I'm assuming its a rare choice.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    Skinks are honestly pretty awesome overall.
    Cheap, poisoned and skirmishers. They are one of the better light infantry in the game.
    How many points is a Casket any way? I'm assuming its a rare choice.

115 for the liche priest + 165 for the casket + two guard.

Honestly, I've had that one unit decimate goblin armies, vampire counts, and skink armies.
    The attack is a roll against their base leadership, so things like cold blooded, or immunity to psychology don't do shit.

There was one game I played where the casket took out an ENTIRE unit of goblins (they had been arrowed down a little in the previous turn) causing all the orcs and goblins around it to take panic checks (they were all pretty close), almost all of them failed, and roughly half the guy's army ran off the table at the bottom of the 2nd turn.

If I know I'll be facing an army with low leadership scores I always try to bring the casket now.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My thing is I want to focus on less, mopre powerful units, rather than Zerg, it's why I chose Lizardmen over Greenskins and dear god skaven, I don't know how someone can carry 2,000 points of those things.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    goblins don't panic orcs. Also, if im playing a Tk army im rolling the bsb that lets you add 1 dd for each ranck in the unit up to 3. Add that to the 2 shaman im rolling and I get 7 dispell dice. No matter what he does the rest of the turn, im just save either dispell scrolls or im saving Dispell dice for that freaking casket. I only need to neutralize that thing for the first 2 turns by then all my units are in hand to hand, and there for no longer in Los. Also, the unit is the one drawing LOS , not the casket so if you can keep them from facing that thing the better.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    Add that to the 2 shaman im rolling and I get 7 dispell dice. No matter what he does the rest of the turn, im just save either dispell scrolls or im saving Dispell dice for that freaking casket. I only need to neutralize that thing for the first 2 turns by then all my units are in hand to hand, and there for no longer in Los. Also, the unit is the one drawing LOS , not the casket so if you can keep them from facing that thing the better.

If your opponent wants to save all his dispell scrolls and dice to neutralize the casket let him.
    When he does that it means there's nothing stopping you from taking an extra shot with your catapult (and getting a free measure for the shooting phase), or giving your giant an extra move for that second turn charge, or giving your tomb guard an extra attack, or allowing your high liche priest to fire off a couple of magic missles at his caster (thus eliminating his ability to dispell.)

If you think a goblin army can lock down tomb kings magic you are horribly mismanaging your magic phase.
    The only army I've had even come close to competing with my TK's magic phase was a high level Slaan in a Lizardmen army, and even then it was a pretty even fight.

Also, what the fuck are you doing moving your troops forward with a casket? Sit back, fire off your arrows, and let him walk to you. You can send some chariots or scorpions up the sides to protect your flank, but the bulk of your troops need to sit as far back as possible in order to give you as many wounds as you can cause per turn with the casket. I'll often set my casket on a hill as far back as I can, with a unit of 20 bowmen right in front of it (at the base of the hill) just tossing arrows.

When properly played, the casket of souls is one of the best units in the game.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Huh, I'm invited for a 1500pt battle in ottawa, and I'm going to finally try to paint my empire troops.

Now, 1500pts means there's no Lord-level characters, but it's also a larger amount of points than what I'm used to in 1000pts, so I'm a bit out of my depth as to what I should be using as far as characters go.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this is true, mani. Unless your playing a dwarven gunline. and I would agree that a slann army is one of the only armys to really compete with Tk's in the magic phase. I guess im just used to playing against friends who always take 2 casters.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What, no kudos for a Necrarch VC army?

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    this is true, mani. Unless your playing a dwarven gunline. and I would agree that a slann army is one of the only armys to really compete with Tk's in the magic phase. I guess im just used to playing against friends who always take 2 casters.

Dwarfs with guns are a different beast altogether.
    Considering the high dwarf leadership, I'd probably leave the casket at home and bring two catapults instead.
    Pair them up with a couple liches and you're looking at 4 shots a turn.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It sounds like the casket would be horrible for Skaven, with their base Ld of 5 or lower. Ignoring therank bonus to Ld would be horrific.

Asher on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I'm heading to GW this Friday for a few games of Warhammer with my mates, and while I'm there I plan to purchase a few things to finish off my 500 point Empire army. Thus far, I have:

Battle Wizard (Level 2) - 100 points
    - Wizard's Staff...10 points
    - Dispel Scroll...25 points
    135 points

20 Swordsmen - 120 points
    - Full Command...25 points
    145 points

10 Handgunners - 80 points
    - Musician...5 points
    - Marksman with Hochland long rifle...25 points
    110 points

So that leaves me 110 points shy of 500. I'm thinking of getting either a Helblaster volley gun or a Flagellant warband to fill that gap. Which would people recommend? Both cost the same amount of points AND the same amount of money, which makes my decision a little tricky.

Also, which lore of magic should I select for my wizard? I've not played any games involving magic yet, but I'm trying to decide between Fire, Metal and Light since those are the three I like the most. I'm looking for something that would be effective and useful, regardless of which opponent I'm playing.

Thanks in advance ODAM.

EDIT: Oops, that should have been the Wizard's Staff, not the Grey Wand.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    It sounds like the casket would be horrible for Skaven, with their base Ld of 5 or lower. Ignoring therank bonus to Ld would be horrific.

I haven't gotten to use it on them yet, but I'm anxious to.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SO

Has anyone played with or against the 'Ard Boyz list in the new Orc book? Because I'm considering making one (S4 WS4 T4 troops for 9 points a pop with +1S on the charge is fucking ridiculous) but I'm concerned that they'd suffer from having less units and gobbos.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007

Welcome to three months ago. :P

I have all his minis except the orc and dark elf.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Welcome to three months ago. :P

I have all his minis except the orc and dark elf.

Yeah, I saw the prototypes of the DElf a while ago, but wasn't he working on a DElf sorceress as well? Something like that. Or was it a female highborn? Must go check...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SO

Has anyone played with or against the 'Ard Boyz list in the new Orc book? Because I'm considering making one (S4 WS4 T4 troops for 9 points a pop with +1S on the charge is fucking ridiculous) but I'm concerned that they'd suffer from having less units and gobbos.

There is no 'Ard Boyz list anymore. The only way to get more than one Big uns unit is to take gorbad ironclaw. That said big uns are still pretty powerfull.

Edit: Just saw this, and i hate double posting so...

Dwarfs with guns are a different beast altogether.
    Considering the high dwarf leadership, I'd probably leave the casket at home and bring two catapults instead.
    Pair them up with a couple liches and you're looking at 4 shots a turn.

Ive been able to lock down tomb king magic with my wood elves, using the wand of wych elm (Re-roll dispels). However Ive only been able to do that if im my opponent is extremely unlucky, which I suppose is the weakness in tomb kings magic, yes its powerfull, but if you roll low im going to dispel you on a single dice.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nechriah wrote: »
    So, I'm heading to GW this Friday for a few games of Warhammer with my mates, and while I'm there I plan to purchase a few things to finish off my 500 point Empire army. Thus far, I have:

- Grey Wand...10 points
    135 points

145 points

- Musician...5 points
    110 points

So that leaves me 110 points shy of 500. I'm thinking of getting either a Helblaster volley gun or a Flagellant warband to fill that gap. Which would people recommend? Both cost the same amount of points AND the same amount of money, which makes my decision a little tricky.

Also, which lore of magic should I select for my wizard? I've not played any games involving magic yet, but I'm trying to decide between Fire, Metal and Light since those are the three I like the most. I'm looking for something that would be effective and useful, regardless of which opponent I'm playing.

Thanks in advance ODAM.

I'm always for more numbers, I'm guessing the Flagellant unit would be 10 strong?

The volley gun would be nice, but the turn you missfire would pretty much seal your loss. I dont know that much about flagellants, but I'm assuming they would be a little more reliable?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nechriah wrote: »

- Grey Wand...10 points
    135 points

145 points

- Musician...5 points
    110 points

Thanks in advance ODAM.

I'm always for more numbers, I'm guessing the Flagellant unit would be 10 strong?

The volley gun would be nice, but the turn you missfire would pretty much seal your loss. I dont know that much about flagellants, but I'm assuming they would be a little more reliable?

Unbreakable, immune to pshyc, flails, and the ability to sacrafice guys for diffrent effects (not too sure what they are though) Flagellents are going to be pretty good for 500 points. Then again the hellblaster chould kill thier entire army in a single turn so, eithers good.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah, Hellblaster will either win or lose you the game.....

Like I said, I would go with a little more consistency and more bodies, I say go with the flagellants.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw the prototypes of the DElf a while ago, but wasn't he working on a DElf sorceress as well? Something like that. Or was it a female highborn? Must go check...

His next one is a female dark elf hero.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So, I tweaked my 1,000 pt Lizardmen a little more.

Core:

15 Saurus Warriors @ 210 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Shield; Scaly Skin
    Spawning Champion w/ Hand Weapon; Shield

Heroes:
    Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 157 Pts
    General; Hand Weapon; Light Armor; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Blessed Spawning of Sotek; Scaly Skin; Burning Blade of Chotec
    Enchanted Shield

Skink Priest @ 145 Pts
    Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Aquatic; Dispel Scroll;
    Charm of the Jaguar Warrior

Rare:
    1 Salamander @ 65 Pts
    Causes Fear; Scaly Skin; Skirmishers
    3 Skink Handlers; Hand Weapon; Aquatic; Skirmishers

Total Roster Cost: 997

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    aow_de_hero.jpg

A Druchii hero that doesn't suck? Fucking sold!

EDIT: And for only 10 euro, and I can get it with a full helm? Oh fuck yes, I am never using my shitty one again.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The full helmed one looks fucking rad.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The helmetless one shall replace my Malus Darkblade on Foot, and I should really get the helmet-less one just because it's so damn awesome.
    In fact, as soon as Felix finishes the female one, I shall purchase that one, as well as another helmet-less one and some Cold-one Knights to make up Malus' warband from the beginning of his search for Tz'arkan...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have the goblin, orc shaman, dwarf and high elf, and as soon as he's done with the female dark elf I'm ordering the ones I don't have purely because he makes awesome stuff and I want to support him. :^:

Echo on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The helmeted one looks like a Mini-Sauron. Me likes.

Cynic Jester on
This discussion has been closed.