As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Out of curosity, what the best method in obtaining a Carnosaur model to mount your Old Blood on? The only thing GW sells at their store is that Named character that rides one.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't you just use the Hero unit?
    Isn't he technically an old blood himself?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can't you just use the Hero unit?
    Isn't he technically an old blood himself?

He's a Scar Vet, and he's a named Chracter, It'd be like trying to use Kroak as a normal Slaan.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No, not really. Because normal Slaan don't look like mummified turds. A saurus is a saurus, and that model is fucking radical.
    6th_lm_carnosaur.jpg

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Seriously, it's a lizard riding a dinosaur!
    Fuck I want to start a lizardmen army just to build one.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'll get it then. hopefully the "spears are a waste of points" rule doesn't apply to calvalry, because I want to give that duder his spear.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'll get it then. hopefully the "spears are a waste of points" rule doesn't apply to calvalry, because I want to give that duder his spear.

I don't think WYSIWYG applies in this case.

Scar Leader Krok-Gar is one pretty fucking ferocious model though, don't get me wrong.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, then what should I do to get my Old Blood mounted, then?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Really, not many people should have a problem with you using a special character model as a normal character provided you tell them about it. I use Teclis as a normal mage in my HE army because he is one of 2 mages I actually have painted. There is even a section in the HE army Book which says you can use Special Character models as normals jsut because they look cool (I think, I dont have the book handy).

Besides Krok-Gar is pretty generic Saurus in terms of appearance and looks totally awesome.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Reposting here, as is my way. C&C appreciated.
    Okay, so I've got my warboss all completed. Added a few things, like gluing his arm in place and adding a bit to his helmet. Little touches, but here he is. I'm thinking of entering him into the 6 Mouths painting contest.

warboss_dated.jpg

warboss1.jpg

warboss2.jpg

warboss3.jpg

warboss4.jpg

warboss5.jpg

Part of the kit also includes parts to build a mounted warboss on a boar, which I have also subsequently completed. I may end up entering him into the contest, as well, I haven't decided yet.

boarboss_dated.jpg

boarboss1.jpg

boarboss2.jpg

boarboss3.jpg

boarboss4.jpg

boarboss5.jpg

boarboss6.jpg

Not sure how well some of the details come out, but I added a thin mohawk ridge to his helm, glued his shield to his back and GSed a strap, added a hole in the knee of his pants and a few other details.

Thoughts?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Six Mouths WARpaint miniature contest has had its deadline extended to September 3rd!

Enter a model (converted or just painted) for your chance to win a copy of Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (the Warhammer MMO coming out early 08 from EA Mythic). Whoever wins will have a copy pre-ordered and sent to their place of residence. Check out the thread stickied at the top of ODAM for more details.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gents, a moment of your time. I know many of you don't play Ogre Kingdoms, but for those of you who have a passing familiarity with the army, give a good looksee over this 2k list.

This army does have Rhinox cavalry in it, and is allowed in the Mighty Empires game i'm playing. Thanks in advance, those brave few who dare to read it.

Also, keep in mind, i'm still pretty new to Warhammer, and Ogres in general. I'm sure i've got a few newbie mistakes in that list.
    435 Points: 3x Rhinox Cavalry w/ a Thunderlord + Bull Rhinox w/standard bearer, Musican, and Ironfists.

75 Points: 1x Gorger

300 Points: 1x Tyrant w/ Wyrdstone, Tenderizer, Gutmaw

163 Points: 4x Bulls w/Bellower, Ironfists

125 Points: 3x Bulls w/Bellower, Ironfists

202 Points: 4 Iron Guts w/Bellower

222 Points: 4 Iron Guts w/Bellower + Standard Bearer

163 Points: 1 Butcher w/Butchers Cleaver, Dispel Scroll

163 Points: 1 Butcher w/Power Stone, Dispel Scroll

110 Points: 2x Leadbelchers

42 Points: 21x Gnoblars

Total: 2,000 Points.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    ZepplinZepplin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Gents, a moment of your time. I know many of you don't play Ogre Kingdoms, but for those of you who have a passing familiarity with the army, give a good looksee over this 2k list.

This army does have Rhinox cavalry in it, and is allowed in the Mighty Empires game i'm playing. Thanks in advance, those brave few who dare to read it.

Also, keep in mind, i'm still pretty new to Warhammer, and Ogres in general. I'm sure i've got a few newbie mistakes in that list.
    435 Points: 3x Rhinox Cavalry w/ a Thunderlord + Bull Rhinox w/standard bearer, Musican, and Ironfists.

75 Points: 1x Gorger

300 Points: 1x Tyrant w/ Wyrdstone, Tenderizer, Gutmaw

163 Points: 4x Bulls w/Bellower, Ironfists

125 Points: 3x Bulls w/Bellower, Ironfists

202 Points: 4 Iron Guts w/Bellower

222 Points: 4 Iron Guts w/Bellower + Standard Bearer

163 Points: 1 Butcher w/Butchers Cleaver, Dispel Scroll

163 Points: 1 Butcher w/Power Stone, Dispel Scroll

110 Points: 2x Leadbelchers

42 Points: 21x Gnoblars

Total: 2,000 Points.

i play ogre kingdoms, and i have to say i like the list, smaller groups really help getting the flank. im curious what your strategy is, id find it hard to make good use out of those cavelry units.

Zepplin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zepplin wrote: »
    i play ogre kingdoms, and i have to say i like the list, smaller groups really help getting the flank. im curious what your strategy is, id find it hard to make good use out of those cavelry units.

I've not used them before, so to be honest, i'm not sure. Depending if I get to go first, i'll move them conservatively. I want my opponent to get remotely within charge range first, without overextending myself. Let him get a bit closer, then charge with everything i've got, maybe using a unit of bulls as bait. I outfitted the Cav unit with a Musican, a Standard Bearer, and Iron Firsts for a +1 armour save, so help with combat res, and hopefully, can get a flank charge with them.

I'm hopeful my opponent will be so worried about them, the rest of army will have an easier time of it, but frankly, it's just theory craft until I get to play them. Thanks for the input. :)

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've played a few 1000pt games against an Ogre army with jut 1 Rhinox in it.

I couldn't do shit to it.

I would be absolutely terrified of a unit of 3 of them

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No, not really. Because normal Slaan don't look like mummified turds. A saurus is a saurus, and that model is fucking radical.
    6th_lm_carnosaur.jpg

+

this

= Win?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    6th_lm_carnosaur.jpg

+

this

= Win?

It would take some converting, but would probably look badical.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My druuchi anointed rides the carnosaur model, just because it looks so bad-ass.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I require more input on my dwarf list.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wonder how a Gnoblar heavy Ogre Kingdom army would play out.

One requires a unit of bulls per unit of Gnoblars, so there'd probably be lots of small bull units to allow for lots of large Gnoblar units.

Having lots of Gnoblar units would allow for lots of scrap launchers, by spending points on cheap Gnoblars it would be easy to have enough points floating around for 3 or even 4 scrap launchers in a high point game.

Probably would grab a hunter to accompany a big unit of trappers about.

Sounds fun, but it's purely theory at this point. Anyone ever seen a Gnoblar heavy army? How'd it play out?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    It seems a pretty decent list. Do you really need that many runes on the cannon? Also, runes of fire are pretty useless except against tree heavy WE armies and other flamable stuff, A rune of stone or something would be more useful.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    6th_lm_carnosaur.jpg

+

this

= Win?

It would take some converting, but would probably look badical.

QUICK SOMEONE ASK HIM WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE!!!!

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think I'll just use the Special guy as an Old Blood. the model is too badass not to.

Well, I played around a bit, thinking about how to expand to 2k from 1k, how is this, am I on the right track (it's mostly because I'm anxious to get my hands on the Carnosaur Mounted Guy)

Saurus Oldblood @ 464 Pts
    General; Halberd; Light Armor; Blessed Spawning of Itzl; Blessed Spawning of Sotek; Scaly Skin; Glyph Necklace; Bane Head; Blood Statuette of Spite
    Carnosaur w/ Causes Terror, Large Target, and Scaly Skin;

20 Saurus Warriors @ 270 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Shield; Scaly Skin
    Spawning Champion w/ Hand Weapon; Shield

20 Saurus Warriors @ 270 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Shield; Scaly Skin
    Spawning Champion w/ Hand Weapon; Shield

15 Skink Skirmishers @ 105 Pts
    Scouts; ;Javelin & Shield; Aquatic; Skirmishers

15 Skink Skirmishers @ 105 Pts
    Scouts; Javelin & Shield; Aquatic; Skirmishers

Skink Priest @ 140 Pts
    Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Aquatic
    Dispel Scroll; Dragonfly of Quicksilver

3 Kroxigor @ 174 Pts
    Great Weapon; Aquatic; Causes Fear; Scaly Skin

3 Kroxigor @ 174 Pts
    Great Weapon; Aquatic; Causes Fear; Scaly Skin

6 Saurus Cavalry @ 285 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Spear; Shield; Scaly Skin; Magic Banner: War Banner;
    Spawning Champion w/ Spear; Shield
    6 Cold One Mounts w/ Causes Fear; Stupid

Total Roster Cost: 1987

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ZepplinZepplin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I've played a few 1000pt games against an Ogre army with jut 1 Rhinox in it.

I couldn't do shit to it.

I would be absolutely terrified of a unit of 3 of them

im curious how its so good, can't static CR get rid of it easily? or was it flanking everything?

also, im curious as to the stats of a rhinox cav unit if anyone has them or knows how to get them. i suppose it could just be a bull with the scrap launcher rhinox rules.

Zepplin on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

One requires a unit of bulls per unit of Gnoblars, so there'd probably be lots of small bull units to allow for lots of large Gnoblar units.

Having lots of Gnoblar units would allow for lots of scrap launchers, by spending points on cheap Gnoblars it would be easy to have enough points floating around for 3 or even 4 scrap launchers in a high point game.

Sounds fun, but it's purely theory at this point. Anyone ever seen a Gnoblar heavy army? How'd it play out?

There is infact, in a white dwarf somewhere, a Gnoblar army list.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    It seems a pretty decent list. Do you really need that many runes on the cannon? Also, runes of fire are pretty useless except against tree heavy WE armies and other flamable stuff, A rune of stone or something would be more useful.

Cool.

I've replaced my rune of fire with a rune of cleaving. it brings me up to exactly 1000 points.

Also, what kinda runes would you suggest for a cannon? and how many?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

and its stupid, a guy I know has a girlfriend with one. I think she's at about 500 or 1000 pts.

Its pretty much large groups of gnoblars, all with 4+ wards and allowed to reroll all their dice (picking an chosing, so like a LD test roll two dice, and rolling a 6 and a 1, you could re roll the 6, leaving the 1.)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

and its stupid, a guy I know has a girlfriend with one. I think she's at about 500 or 1000 pts.

Its pretty much large groups of gnoblars, all with 4+ wards and allowed to reroll all their dice (picking an chosing, so like a LD test roll two dice, and rolling a 6 and a 1, you could re roll the 6, leaving the 1.)

that's pretty ridiculous

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    but they are gnoblers, they are worse then goblins. they have 2 tough and 2 ws. A solid block of core would railroad them, it wouldn't even be a fair fight.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2007
    dude, they re-roll EVERYTHING

to Hit, To wound, their 4+ ward save, panic checks....

its lame.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    but they are gnoblers, they are worse then goblins. they have 2 tough and 2 ws. A solid block of core would railroad them, it wouldn't even be a fair fight.

My very first time playing Ogres, I was down to my last unit of 20 gnoblars. A unit of Dwarf Iron Breakers was facing away from me, and I could have flank charged, but decided to hurl sharp bits at them. So I flung 40 sharp bits at him, and didn't get a single wound. I then backed up, so that when I was charged, I could stand and shoot. 40 more sharp bits were flung at him, and didn't get a single wound, and then on a stand and shoot, for a total of 120 shots, with not a single kill.

Just goes to show, 20 gnoblars and a fuck load of cutlery will get you about jack shit in this game. Still though, I had a crowd cheering me on as I rolled the dice. Good times.

I would also like to hear how Gnoblars get a 4+ Ward save, and these insane leadership rolls.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Some Lucky Gitz list.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    crossposted as usual. I'd love some feedback on this one, as I'm starting a new painting/shading technique and I like how it is going so far, but it is still really new to me.
    started painting this boar boy last night. Using a new shading technique, I really like how it's turning out. I only have the arms and the helmet done so far, lots and lots and lots left to finish, but I wanted to share what I've got so far.

boarboy_paint3.jpg

boarboy_paint2.jpg

boarboy_paint1.jpg

also, I just got my set of foundations paints and I got about 5 minutes to test them out on my lunchbreak. Holy shit they're fucking sweet.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that's pretty ridiculous

That is ridiculous. Not really what I would wanna go for though. I'd want to use the actual gnoblar rules from Ogre Kingdoms, just with a lot of points sunk into gnoblars and trappers and scrap launchers.

I'd still want Ogres romping about though. I think using gnoblars for the rank bonus and Ogres for flank charges could be pretty nasty.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

that's pretty ridiculous

I know.

I mean, women playing Warhammer? Wasn't suffrage enough for them?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dude, they re-roll EVERYTHING

to Hit, To wound, their 4+ ward save, panic checks....

its lame.

Actually, according to my Army Builder, the army gets D6 rerolls per game.

The Lucky Gits are a special choice, they're allowed to reroll any roll but the second roll sticks. I don't see anything about choosing which die to reroll when you have two of them. With 2WS and 2S, they're not going to be hitting much anyway. 6+ Ward save, 5+ for the champion.

So really, you don't seem to know anything about the list.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm trying my new wood elves for the first time in tomorrow's nemesis crown mega battle.
    This is my current list.
    I tried to go for mobile and shooty, knowing that I've got at least one fully treekin army on my side.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

that's pretty ridiculous

I know.

I mean, women playing Warhammer? Wasn't suffrage enough for them?

Nevermind, I need to add sarcasm tags, then.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Because he was so obviously serious.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
This discussion has been closed.