As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

1565758596062»

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You're Trolls, correct? Make those tough rolls and you should not have to worry much about Brutality. If he has a Woldwatcher, Wayfarer, and Shifting Stones, get ready for the Wayfarer Bomb, in which he teleports a Vigilance'd Wayfarer into your back lines. Vigilance lets the wayfarer strike first if you move within 2 inches of him. Best way to disarm this is to send a Beast after the Wayfarer; he has to strike at the model that triggered Vigilance.

That aside, Brutality will go on Wolf Riders or Ravagers. Just take it the best you can. You're trolls, dammit! Bring multiwounds and use your best dice for Tough rolls. Use Impalers/Grim if you can. They're armor 13 and are only 5 wounds except for the leader. If you can scare them away, do so, but it'll be hard because the leader tends to stick back with Kromac.

Be mindful of his feat. He can leech fury off your own beasts. His beast form is Fury 8. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just got my 10 McThralls and Brute thrall

I am happy I just need some bane knights and I am every cryx player, ever.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am pained.

The local shop is starting a 750 point tourney this play day (Thursday), so there will be no games below that.

I am sad.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So uh. PP's Kevin played with Epic Doomshaper in Templecon this past weekend. All I can say is wow, holy shit! He can turn the Troll Brick into an exploding wall in feat turn.

To sum it up:

He whacks an enemy beast with his stick, and can immediately turn it around and make it charge something.
    One of his spells is a ctrl area spell that adds a fury point to all enemy warbeasts.
    Another spell is similar to Warpath and makes models/units move a couple inches or some weird stuff.
    The other three spells haven't been brought up yet.
    His Warbeast bond lets his bonded beast apparently use Power Attacks (Locks, throws, headbutts) in place of standard attacks. Let me repeat that. A Dire Troll can charge into battle, throw, throw, headbutt, throw, lock, etc. All in place of regular attacks.
    His feat apparently doubles the speed of all friendly Troll beasts (Dunno if it's just heavies) and himself.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Looks like I'll be buying a couple maulers and Edoomie....

That sounds retarded that he can add fury to beasts. If you just add fury every turn it could slow them down pretty quickly.

Being able to gain control of a warbeast if you get a melee hit is also retarded. Just charge up, wack, have IT charge the warlock and its game over in a hurry.

Oh god...

Doomie and bouncer move across the field, you activate doomie, advance, wack...kill stuff with their warbeast, then activate the bouncer, and castle doomie back to being screened.

Huh, seems trolls are getting a little ticksy now...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unless they keep a transfer beast at the back of their control range, Doomie's gonna waltz up, break their fury bank, and then beat them with their own beasts. In theory anyway.

One of his other spells is an arc node type (8 inches from a beast in range) that uses the beast's base strength as the power. The other great one is a spell that lets him cast an enemy beast's animus if he damages them with it.

I'm excited. I started trollbloods for the dires, and now I have a reason to use them!

Toothy on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, got to play a few games of Warmachine with my new Menoth additions as of Legends, Gravus and the Exemplar Bastions are the best things. I still have a rough time with Khador and Hordes armies, but I'm doing a hell of a lot better against everything else. The Fire of Salvation, along with this stuff, is just pure win for anyone who fields Epic Krieoss.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad Menoth players in my store haven't been so active lately. My beef is still with Khador, but I figure with a bit of finesse as required by Circle players, I can take care of their Jacks by Tornado'ing/slamming/throwing them into a well placed Gatorman swamp.

Infantry is manageable. That's what Circle does best.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I'm glad Menoth players in my store haven't been so active lately. My beef is still with Khador, but I figure with a bit of finesse as required by Circle players, I can take care of their Jacks by Tornado'ing/slamming/throwing them into a well placed Gatorman swamp.

Infantry is manageable. That's what Circle does best.
    Circle is usually the one Hordes army that doesn't COMPLETELY destroy me. I can actually put up a fight against circle. but all the Hordes players here are either Skorne, or worse, fucking Everblight.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dude. You have two casters that have the easiest time against Circle: Kreoss and Harbinger. ESPECIALLY Harbinger. Purification hurts Circle badly.

Upkeep/animi-heavy Circle lists anyway.

By the way. I'll open up a new thread when it's time, if it's fine with y'all.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dude. You have two casters that have the easiest time against Circle: Kreoss and Harbinger. ESPECIALLY Harbinger. Purification hurts Circle badly.

Upkeep/animi-heavy Circle lists anyway.

By the way. I'll open up a new thread when it's time, if it's fine with y'all.
    I use Amon instead of Harbinger because lately I've been trying to find a better balance of Jacks and Infantry. It's been working pretty well. The Fire and a Dervish are great for Synergy I find. like I said, Circle isn't nearly as bad as Everblight.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Amon. Well, at least you have a good taste in 'Casters. 99% of people hate him because he's not a brokenly awesome Jack 'Caster like Darius. A lot of the people in my store like the guy though.

I really like Menoth's take in Jack Casters. Both in Reznik and Raza. Reznik is less of a jack caster, but I love his jack spells.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Amon. Well, at least you have a good taste in 'Casters. 99% of people hate him because he's not a brokenly awesome Jack 'Caster like Darius. A lot of the people in my store like the guy though.

I really like Menoth's take in Jack Casters. Both in Reznik and Raza. Reznik is less of a jack caster, but I love his jack spells.
    Yeah but Amon is one of the very few Casters that make the Dervish cool. Synergy++ also, I like to give him the Revenger on crack with the imprint,

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Amon makes all his jacks good, provided the first few hit. His weapon is very solid and has some damn awesome special attacks. His spells are wicked cool and his feat pretty much means he can go full out and still give his jacks delicious focus.

He's just... not blatantly good like the other Menoth casters, hence the hate.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Amon makes all his jacks good, provided the first few hit. His weapon is very solid and has some damn awesome special attacks. His spells are wicked cool and his feat pretty much means he can go full out and still give his jacks delicious focus.

He's just... not blatantly good like the other Menoth casters, hence the hate.
    I just really can't think of anyone who goes with Epic Krieoss well, that isn't the Harbinger, especially because I'm trying to balance my Jacks and Infantry a bit. even if I'm only using one heavy, if you give Amon good enough lights, he's still pretty awesome. It's just kinda.... ehh to give FIre to him now that I think about it, because I want the Fire to be around Krieoss because of it's Affinity.

Hell, most of the time, I'm fine with dropping 1 extra Venger to give Amon and SECOND Dervish, bumping his Battlegroup up to 2 Dervishes and the Blesing of Vengeance. and keep in mind, Epic Kriess has a Normal Revenger as well as the Fire of Salvation, which is a damn nice bodyguard for him.

Realistically 3 Vengers is still okay, because I still have Gravus running around with them. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to make Amon be really good at what he does.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A caster to pair up with Epic Kreoss in a 1k game? He seems to be a pretty good infantry-centric caster. In that case, Amon and Reznik are your best bets.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A caster to pair up with Epic Kreoss in a 1k game? He seems to be a pretty good infantry-centric caster. In that case, Amon and Reznik are your best bets.
    I really like Amon with him because Amon really doesn't need to be protected from shooting too much because Perfect Balance negates CRA. so I can give the Big Bodyguard to eKrieoss and I don't have to take more than 1 heavy, because Amon can make light jacks work extremely well, especially a pair of Dervishes+ SuperRevenger

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The bodyguard is still very useful. Eiryiss will still screw him over as will the Black 13th's concert of death.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The bodyguard is still very useful. Eiryiss will still screw him over as will the Black 13th's concert of death.
    To be Fair, though, 3 lights are still pretty good. and SuperRevenger is suprizingly good for it's size. Unfortunately, even at 1k, it's hard to fit in 2 heavies and Cavalry+Dragoon in the same list. :(

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Faction: Protectorate
    Model Count: 36
    Victory Points: 38

High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza
    > Hierophant
    > Dervish
    > Dervish
    > Devout
    Grand Exemplar Kreoss
    > Hierophant
    > Blessing of Vengeance
    > Fire of Salvation
    Exemplar Seneschal
    High Exemplar Gravus
    Choir of Menoth [6] (2 added)
    Exemplar Vengers [5] (2 added)
    Knights Exemplar [6]
    Knights Exemplar [6]
    Rupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

Welp, had the wrong jack in there. Here we go! Here's a neat, nicely themed list.

If you don't care about the Seneschal as much, here's something more Jack Support-oriented. I like this one, myself.

Faction: Protectorate
    Model Count: 35
    Victory Points: 39

High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza
    > Hierophant
    > Dervish
    > Dervish
    > Devout
    Grand Exemplar Kreoss
    > Hierophant
    > Blessing of Vengeance
    > Fire of Salvation
    High Exemplar Gravus
    Reclaimer
    Vassal of Menoth
    Choir of Menoth [4] (0 added)
    Exemplar Vengers [5] (2 added)
    Knights Exemplar [6]
    Knights Exemplar [6]
    Rupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ThaKapnThaKapn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faction: Cryx

Lich Lord Terminus
    >Deathjack
    Wraith Witch Deneghra
    >Nightmare
    >Deathripper
    >Deathripper
    Skarlock Thrall (2)
    Pistol Wraith (2)
    Bane Lord Tartarus
    Withershadow Combine
    Bane Knights (9)
    Bane Thralls (8)

Idea is to use Edeny's Harrowing and a Demoniac/Ravager powered Deathjack to cut down entire squads in a single go. Terminus can quite happily do the same himself if need be. The Nightmare is there as an asassin of sorts. The other thing I'm going for is a supprise of the sheer amount of ranged attacks I can throw out with a seemingly close-combat army. Gotta love the Skarlocks and Combine!

Stupid Bloodgorgers havent come in yet, or I'd swap them for the Bane Thralls...

Any ideas for army changes?

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ThaKapn wrote: »

Lich Lord Terminus
    >Deathjack
    Wraith Witch Deneghra
    >Nightmare
    >Deathripper
    >Deathripper
    Skarlock Thrall (2)
    Pistol Wraith (2)
    Bane Lord Tartarus
    Withershadow Combine
    Bane Knights (9)
    Bane Thralls (8)

Idea is to use Edeny's Harrowing and a Demoniac/Ravager powered Deathjack to cut down entire squads in a single go. Terminus can quite happily do the same himself if need be. The Nightmare is there as an asassin of sorts. The other thing I'm going for is a supprise of the sheer amount of ranged attacks I can throw out with a seemingly close-combat army. Gotta love the Skarlocks and Combine!

Stupid Bloodgorgers havent come in yet, or I'd swap them for the Bane Thralls...

Looks pretty solid, though I'd opt for a third arc node.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    750 pt tournament coming up. I'm thinking of making a Kromac anti infantry list and an eKaya anti-Jack list. They sound like good enough casters for that sort of thing.

Kromac's riders chomp the shit out of infantry as expected. eKaya unleashes her Dogpile/Forced Evolution/Arcane Killer combo.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The reason I liked using the Exemplar Bastions is, prior to Legends release, Temple Flameguard was pretty much mandatory with Epic Krieoss to make his feat work, as reach was important. to get as many of your guys within both melee range and Krieoss's control zone as possible on feat turn. Bastions are basically hard to kill, Knights with Reach, which is why I like to use them. and they can still potentially hit hard. They are on page 66 of Legends, if you wanna look at them.

This is generally what I roll with right now:

Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
    Army Points: 997/1000
    Victory Points: 39

Grand Exemplar Kreoss:
    -Fire of Salvation
    -Devout
    -Hierophant
    High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza:
    -Blessing of Vengeance
    -Dervish
    -Dervish

High Exemplar Gravus
    Choir of Menoth (6)
    Daughters of the Flame
    Exemplar Bastions (5)
    Exemplar Vengers (3)
    Knights Exemplar
    Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I forgot about Bastions. Problem is, they're not out yet so I didn't bother to include them. Vengers have plenty of reach as is. I figured they'd be good enough to screen your Knights Exemplar.

Remember. The Bastions won't get the elite cadre bonus, not being Knights Exemplar.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I forgot about Bastions. Problem is, they're not out yet so I didn't bother to include them. Vengers have plenty of reach as is. I figured they'd be good enough to screen your Knights Exemplar.

Remember. The Bastions won't get the elite cadre bonus, not being Knights Exemplar.
    Yeah, but that doesn't stop them from basically being my equivament of Man O Wars. they hit hard when they're hurt, and they probably won't die outright stright away because remember, you get the allocate the damage throught the ENITRE SQUAD. and the leader has 8 hitboxes, and the normal guys have 5, that's not bad at all.

I am really trying to be patient about waiting for their models to come out, so I've been using a guy's spare Man O Wars to proxy them. I just find TFG don't survive long enough to be effective. especially since you can't let too many of your TFG die, or else CMA won't hit hard enough. I allways found COmbined Melee Attack to be kinda silly, especially as far as being on really squishy units like Temple Flameguard. Heck, I'm tempted to buy empty Bases and paint on "THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR EXEMPLAR BASTION/THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR EXEMPLAR BASTION WARDER"

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ThaKapnThaKapn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ThaKapn wrote: »

Lich Lord Terminus
    >Deathjack
    Wraith Witch Deneghra
    >Nightmare
    >Deathripper
    >Deathripper
    Skarlock Thrall (2)
    Pistol Wraith (2)
    Bane Lord Tartarus
    Withershadow Combine
    Bane Knights (9)
    Bane Thralls (8)

Looks pretty solid, though I'd opt for a third arc node.

The deathjack is basically another Arcnode. Plus the 2 skarlocks gives me a total of 5 units to remote-fire my spells.

DJ can cast his own Ravager for free, and the Combine will upkeep the Demoniac on him or Terminus/Nightmare for free as well. Skarlocks can cast Hellfire and Harrowing for free every turn as needed also. Keep in mind, the warcaster spell count is now at 4 (9 focus total) and I havent even spent focus yet!!!

Deathrippers can annihilate single wound infantry with Venom and others with Hellmouth, while solo's are slaughtered by their own with Marked For Death. Even stiil, I should have 6 focus left on Terminus and 2-3 on Edenny left for charging up my jacks! Add the Combine casting 3 Dark Fire's every turn and you've got an opponent shaking with spell induced fear!

Mwa ha ha haaaa

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TFG are a fairly tough nut to crack, especially on Minifeat turn. Unless you go against certain lists tailored to taking them down.

Bastions are damn awesome and I can't see many menoth players not using them once they're out. Nasty stuff.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sadly I'm not going down to play Hordes today (regular meeting day), as I haven't assembled my Trollkin Champions.

Its also the 750 point tourny starting night, which is annoying. Oh well, back to figuring out how the hell I am going to paint Madrak.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wellp, in a search of something to use until the Bastions come out when I'm playing opponents who don't want me to proxy, does the Visigoth and his Honor Guard have models yet? they seem kinda nice.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wellp, in a search of something to use until the Bastions come out when I'm playing opponents who don't want me to proxy, does the Visigoth and his Honor Guard have models yet? they seem kinda nice.

Yup, they came out a few months ago. Not bad looking models and have some decent utility but nothings thats really over the top. I haven't seen they played but they seem somewhat situational. And yea I'm not sure whats happened with the Bastions, they don't even have a release date yet.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Riqa wrote: »

Yup, they came out a few months ago. Not bad looking models and have some decent utility but nothings thats really over the top. I haven't seen they played but they seem somewhat situational. And yea I'm not sure whats happened with the Bastions, they don't even have a release date yet.
    Kinda peeved that while other factions got awesome character units (*shakes fist at Black 13*) we get one........that's only useful in like a handful of situations. "We can deal with Stealthers and Incorpreals!" and, i'm like, "Great, most Cryx players I DO play against really doesn't take that shit en masse.

Oh Well, I guess I can use TFG again or something.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    watts4.jpg

Sergeant Samuel Watts says: "We're better than you!"

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Riqa wrote: »

Kinda peeved that while other factions got awesome character units (*shakes fist at Black 13*) we get one........that's only useful in like a handful of situations. "We can deal with Stealthers and Incorpreals!" and, i'm like, "Great, most Cryx players I DO play against really doesn't take that shit en masse.

Oh Well, I guess I can use TFG again or something.
    Man, what? I wish I had something like your unit. They completely nullify harmful effects on your dudes and can replenish members of lost nearby units whenever they kill something. That's awesome!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unleashed on the 25th...
    Hordes-Metamorphosis.jpg
    Callously stolen from the Privateer Press front page:
    Change of an epic scale is sweeping the land. Makeda leads the Army of the Western Reaches to the Abyssal Fortress. Thagrosh undergoes a terrifying transformation as the power of Everblight increases. Krueger pursues a path of glory and stirs an ancient enmity. Madrak struggles with the curse of Rathrok even as he relies on the axe's strength to defend his people. And above all, the dragon threat grows ever stronger.

HORDES: Metamorphosis is the second expansion for the award-winning miniatures battle game set in the untamed lands of the Iron Kingdoms. Evolve your Monstrous Miniatures Combat with:

Three commanding new warlocks for each faction, including new EPIC characters.
    Powerful new warbeasts for each faction, ready to rile.
    Dragoon rules introduced into HORDES for the first time.
    New painting and modeling guides for each faction.
    Limited edition hardcover available while supplies last.

Adapt and Annihilate! Be sure to reserve your copy today wherever Privateer Press products are sold!

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Made a new thread. Enjoy the new thread. Feel free to repost that bit, see.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.