Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So I just got into Warmachine after playing a game with one of my buddies. Picked up Ashlynn and Eiryss without knowing anything other than that I wanted to play mercs and that Ashlynn looked awesome. After reading a bit about it on the forums I am going to try the Highborn Covenant. I really like the following models:

Mule, Nomad, Vanguard, Gorman Di'Wolfe, Alexia Ciannor, Nyss Hunters, Aiyanna and Holt, Ogrun Bokur, SteelHead Halberdiers.

Any advice on the models I should pick up next?

I got alot of those models when I played Ashlynn. For herm, I recommend the Horgenhold Forge Guard. Dwarves are slow, but you can give them Quicken to mitigate this a little and they're great for Ashlynn's feat, since they have a critical slam attack. A mule is definitely a good idea with her too.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ]
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So I just got into Warmachine after playing a game with one of my buddies. Picked up Ashlynn and Eiryss without knowing anything other than that I wanted to play mercs and that Ashlynn looked awesome. After reading a bit about it on the forums I am going to try the Highborn Covenant. I really like the following models:

Mule, Nomad, Vanguard, Gorman Di'Wolfe, Alexia Ciannor, Nyss Hunters, Aiyanna and Holt, Ogrun Bokur, SteelHead Halberdiers.

Any advice on the models I should pick up next?

I got alot of those models when I played Ashlynn. For herm, I recommend the Horgenhold Forge Guard. Dwarves are slow, but you can give them Quicken to mitigate this a little and they're great for Ashlynn's feat, since they have a critical slam attack. A mule is definitely a good idea with her too.

That's the thing, I don't have any of the listed models yet besides Ashlynn and Eiryss ( I guess my post wasnt all that clear after reading it). Which of the listed models should I get next?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I find painting the battlegroup more comfortable than starting with infantry, so I recommend purchasing your Mule and your other warjacks first, since it'll likely be less expensive to do so (I could be wrong).

General Nemo on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kayazy are badass. Too bad they're Four Star Syndicate. At least you get Nyss Hunters. By the way, get those. They're really good.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    eh they make bane knights a bitch to put together so every cheese dick cryx player and their mother doesn't rush out and get 30 of them with tartarus.

I hate the faggots that have the time, patience, and malign intent enough to do such a thing. It's not even fun playing against that. Worse than playing against epic Vladimir, I say.

Heh, one of the Cryx players in my gaming club runs a lot of Bane Knights. With Tartarus. However, he gave his Bane Knights to me to assemble and paint because he's too lazy to do it himself. The fool! Those undead are never going to see the tabletop. At least, not until I finish all my stuff.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nechriah wrote: »
    eh they make bane knights a bitch to put together so every cheese dick cryx player and their mother doesn't rush out and get 30 of them with tartarus.

I hate the faggots that have the time, patience, and malign intent enough to do such a thing. It's not even fun playing against that. Worse than playing against epic Vladimir, I say.

Heh, one of the Cryx players in my gaming club runs a lot of Bane Knights. With Tartarus. However, he gave his Bane Knights to me to assemble and paint because he's too lazy to do it himself. The fool! Those undead are never going to see the tabletop. At least, not until I finish all my stuff.

Is he generally just a lazy person? Or is he just a sick, mean man? Because he either doesn't want to try, or he enjoys making people suffer.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    ThaKapnThaKapn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Is he generally just a lazy person? Or is he just a sick, mean man? Because he either doesn't want to try, or he enjoys making people suffer.

Chain-lightning is a wonderful thing... (stupid cygnar)

ThaKapn on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    except chain lightning would trigger shadow shift (chain lighting isnt an aoe if i recall correctly)

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Da Bid DabidDa Bid Dabid Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Finished painting my Widowmaker captain. Posted pics in the Painting Thread.

This will take you to the post.

Let me know what you think.

-David

Da Bid Dabid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Very vibrant and clean! I like it!
    @GrimDog420: It's also range 10, so shadow shift won't bother anybody.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Very vibrant and clean! I like it!
    @GrimDog420: It's also range 10, so shadow shift won't bother anybody.

really?

chain lightning a unit of bane knights from distance 10", if the attacker has some shitty rolls to damage you could easily move the unit into striking distance with reach weapons.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yea Chain Lightning Bane Knights tends to equal a dead or useless Lancer with few Bane's dead if not during their Shadow Shifting, then when they charge it next turn assuming they can get past the Set Defense; Bane Knights hate high def stuff. Chances are though their close enough by then to just walk in.
    On the other hand with a Thorn its Reaction Drive (not sure if it goes before the Shifts) should be able to get it out of range or behind cover, and then on the following turn its Set Defense and Disengage should save it. Really the Thorn was more or less made to throw lightning around. =p

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I now have Lady Aiyanna and Master Holt, a Centurion, and the Black 13th assembled and waiting to be primed.

This is going to be awesome.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ohman Alazull your sig is rad.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm pretty sure he's just lazy. I mean, he didn't even open the box before he gave them to me, and was genuinely surprised to learn there's about 8 components to each knight - he thought it was just a case of gluing one or two bits on and then whacking them on a base.

As such my brother, fresh from scratch building half of a black coach himself, says that he might tackle them for "something light" before his next big modelling project. I would not be opposed to this.
    Alazull wrote: »
    So, I now have Lady Aiyanna and Master Holt, a Centurion, and the Black 13th assembled and waiting to be primed.

This is going to be awesome.

Let us know how the Black 13th go; I'm not looking forward to painting such detailed models and have a feeling I'll need all the pointers I can glean from other people's ordeal...I mean experience.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New NQ came out today along with the Gun Mage UA. I'm happy. :)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I wanted to make an army based around a crew of monster hunters.

Ended up with this

Faction: Cygnar
    Army Points: 497/750
    Victory Points: 19
      Lt. Allister Caine Gun Mage Captain Adept Professor Viktor Pendrake Alten Ashley, Monster Hunter Doc Killingsworth Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist Gudrun the Wanderer Ogrun Bokur Ogrun Bokur Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator Cylena Raefyll and Nyss Hunters (7) Lady Aiyana and Master Holt

It's a 500 pt list.

I started out thinking in terms of novelty fun list but I'm looking at it and I think it's playable.

Also, as bad as the bane spam lists I'm reading about sound, what happens if you take a few of the deck guns or even just something like a few units of long gunners to an army like that? I'm thinking in particular if I was anticipating that behavior in a tournament, broadsides bart with a large wargroup would be the bucket of water I'd pour over my no doubt cat-piss scented opposition, ie

Army: YAAAAR
    Faction: Four Star Syndicate
    Army Points: 742/750
    Victory Points: 25

Captain Bartolo Montador
    Mariner
    Mariner
    Mule
    Bosun Grogspar
    Doc Killingsworth
    Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
    First Mate Hawk
    Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
    Ogrun Bokur
    Sea Dog Deck Gun
    Sea Dog Deck Gun
    Sea Dog Deck Gun
    Sea Dogs (6)
    Sea Dog Rifleman (3)

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm thinking of going to a 350 point Mangled Metal/Tooth-and-Claw +1 unit/solo on the 24th, and was looking for some advice.

Of course I'm going to run a Darius with at least a Centurion and an Ironclad in it (which will be Ol' Rowdy if I can afford him before the tourney). But I was wondering what I should take with it. Several people who are more experienced than I have suggested Strangewayes, although I'm thinking maybe taking Sword Knights + UA or the Squire.

Which would give me the most mileage? I'm thinking that while Strangewayes/the Squire would help with the 'jacks, the Sword Knights with UA would be useful against both 'jacks and 'beasts, and also helpful should my opponent use a unit of his own to tarpit my Cent bullet.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm thinking of going to a 350 point Mangled Metal/Tooth-and-Claw +1 unit/solo on the 24th, and was looking for some advice.

Of course I'm going to run a Darius with at least a Centurion and an Ironclad in it (which will be Ol' Rowdy if I can afford him before the tourney). But I was wondering what I should take with it. Several people who are more experienced than I have suggested Strangewayes, although I'm thinking maybe taking Sword Knights + UA or the Squire.

Which would give me the most mileage? I'm thinking that while Strangewayes/the Squire would help with the 'jacks, the Sword Knights with UA would be useful against both 'jacks and 'beasts, and also helpful should my opponent use a unit of his own to tarpit my Cent bullet.

I say the Swordknights would do more with their unit attachment and will give you a little bit of something between the opponent and Darius' wedge.

On an unrelated note: I earned my eVlad gold cards yesterday! First place! I never have to play that broken fuck ever again. Now I can start having fun in tournaments.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I say the Swordknights would do more with their unit attachment and will give you a little bit of something between the opponent and Darius' wedge.

On an unrelated note: I earned my eVlad gold cards yesterday! First place! I never have to play that broken fuck ever again. Now I can start having fun in tournaments.
    Tell us how it went? Did you really feel that dirty using him? D:

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Tell us how it went? Did you really feel that dirty using him? D:
    Well, it was SR 4.0 and the first match was Mosh Pit against eSkarre who I killed turn two with feated Kayazy through his frontline. Got four there but only needed one. Done in twenty minutes and got to sit around and paint pStryker (Oh sweet irony!!).

Match two was Break That Stuff! and again, I won on second turn with a pair of feated Manhunters each obliterating the objectives. Got to sit around for another hour and do nothing while the others finished.

The final round was a little tougher against eKaya, but I almost got the turn two a third time with a flying, feated Drakhun thrown by a Beast 09. Brought her down to three wounds because of bad dice rolls. Later I survived her assassination attempt with one wound remaining and killed her with the man himself.

So, in short, I feel absolutely filthy.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really wish they would errata eVlad or something. He's so obviously broken and everybody knows it.

Jebu on
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was looking the other day at the Warmachine display in the corner and saw that they were all at least 10% off! Now, this seems like a pretty darn good deal to me, as I've been thinking about painting up some models. I think Khador are the coolest looking, definitely; the whole steam-punk Soviet thing really appeals to me for some reason. Now, if I wanted to pick up some models just to paint up, specifically Khador, what would I be best served with buying if I decided to get into the game later? I know they play it at the LGS.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jebu wrote: »
    I really wish they would errata eVlad or something. He's so obviously broken and everybody knows it.
    Fucking seriously. He needs another fix. I mean sure, he doesn't affect characters anymore, but does his feat REALLY need boosted-everything? +3 to all stats and an extra attack is damn good already. Boosting it all is just obscene. You can get the same effect if you cast that one spell where the affected dudes can boost off of him with melee attacks. At least that balances things out.

Khador already hits like a MAC truck. Goddamn.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BRAIN ASPLODE

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BRAIN ASPLODE

I dared my friend to do it.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's fucking hilarious.

"Don't worry, I used my feat."

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Alazull on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The link doesn't work for me. Did they delete the post?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Looks like they took it down. Here's the screenshot.
    untitled.jpg

General Nemo on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    73035_typhon_web.jpg

D:

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    73035_typhon_web.jpg

D:

This makes me want to play Legion.

Goddamn fucking Everblight. GAWD

General Nemo on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    By Morrow's grace, what the frak? Get it away from me. D: That's... insanely awesome.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am buying that so hard. Cannot wait for Metamorphosis...

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's called Typhon. When you think about it, Mulg should bury it deep underground, every time.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    404404 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goddamn, guess I picked the right army to start with :D

Also, stupid question from a stupid wargaming newbie, but what paints in particular would vets recommend for Everblight? It's finally going to be warm enough to start priming my stuff on Sunday and all I have right now is the P3 starter box (Frostbite, Morrow White, Thamar Black, Coal Black, Carnal Pink, Radiant Platinum). I was thinking of getting a couple more metallic colors and maybe some earth tones, but any suggestions of specific colors would be great. Keep in mind I'm trying to stay within the P3 line, maybe with some Vallejo mixed in.

Oh, and I really don't know what to use for basing material besides just spreading out some Green Stuff and going at it with a sculpting tool emot-ohdear.png

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's called Typhon. When you think about it, Mulg should bury it deep underground, every time.

Typhon, eh? Where's Zeus when you need him?

Probably somewhere atop Mulg, I'd warrant.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With Warmachine, only the Cryx army really appealed to me looks wise.

With hordes, I'm having the opposite problem - I'd like to get a hordes army but I'm having trouble picking one. I really like everblight, there are some minis in that army that really sell the army - the forthcoming officer attachment for the swordsmen being one of them and Thargosh being another - but I also love some of the troll models, like the caber tosser and Borka Kegslayer. It's hard for me to turn down something as munchkin-y as a half-ogre-half-dragon fighter-wizard, but on the other hand, drunk troll pimp. I really like the angelis model, but dude, WWI Flying Ace Pyg riding a dire troll.

I even find myself liking some of the filthy hippy crap, like the Lord of the Feast model and the pureblood warpwolf.

I guess the point of this post is I'd like to break the tie by contrasting playstyle - what trollbloods army is the least Cryxian in playstyle?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

With hordes, I'm having the opposite problem - I'd like to get a hordes army but I'm having trouble picking one. I really like everblight, there are some minis in that army that really sell the army - the forthcoming officer attachment for the swordsmen being one of them and Thargosh being another - but I also love some of the troll models, like the caber tosser and Borka Kegslayer. It's hard for me to turn down something as munchkin-y as a half-ogre-half-dragon fighter-wizard, but on the other hand, drunk troll pimp. I really like the angelis model, but dude, WWI Flying Ace Pyg riding a dire troll.

I even find myself liking some of the filthy hippy crap, like the Lord of the Feast model and the pureblood warpwolf.

I guess the point of this post is I'd like to break the tie by contrasting playstyle - what trollbloods army is the least Cryxian in playstyle?

Any and all.
    Borka is a blast to play.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Both Legion and Circle are fairly Cryxy (and also have elements of Cygnar to them IMHO). They're both fast armies, with one relying on hitting first with glass cannons and the other using terrain to their advantage to do hit and run attacks. They both are usually more interested in setting up the assassination than dismantling the enemy army.

Trollbloods and Skorne, on the other hand, are significantly different from Cryx. Trollbloods I see as sort of like Khador, in that they're slower but tougher than the other factions, hit hard in melee, and like to block up and basically form a big, invincible wall. Skorne are more like Menoth, having interlocking units support each other, gaining benefits from the deaths of their own troops, and playing more of a denial/control game. It sounds like you're not really interested in Skorne, so Trolls are probably your best bet.

Jebu on
This discussion has been closed.