Options

a

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    This will totally fuck services like Steam or MMO's (most people just d/l the clients from the website, after all) in the ass.

How, exactly? Are there any games whatsoever that are more than 6-8 gigs on Steam? And do people re-download their entire library on a weekly basis?

Most online games barely go over 4-5 kb/s. That's not a lot of traffic.

Some MMO's currently out would allow you to blow through a 5th of your monthly bandwidth in a day.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What MMO out there pulls that much traffic? None of the top games do, that's atrocious netcode.

As for reformatting, that's 100gb. Okay... so you've used less than half your allowance due to a rare situation. You still have 150gb left, which is still 2 movies a day for the month.

Downloading Vanguard + patches is 30gb, which leaves you with 3 1/2 movies a day for the rest of the month.

250gb is absurd for anything short of business use. Which is likely why they offer a business service as well without the cap for 10/mo more. :P

kildy on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Damn Americans. You're complaining about what? 250 GBs a month? I get 40GB a month on my broadband plan. And it's a good plan (by Australia's crappy standards). Be grateful.

Eat your broadband, Timmy. Little warezmonkeys in Australia are starving!

Please, consider sending just $1 a day.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just switched from Comcast to AT&T last week. I finally switched because my connection would drop out for hours at a time. I easily hit 20gigs a week between HD Podcasts, games, legal TV & Anime downloads, Video streams, legal music, and miscellaneous junk.

My area had a strong Comcast monopoly for a few years. Wide Open West (cable) and AT&T (DSL) have plans that can compare to Comcast's basic and mid grade plans but not their 16Mbps down plan.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn Americans. You're complaining about what? 250 GBs a month? I get 40GB a month on my broadband plan. And it's a good plan (by Australia's crappy standards). Be grateful.

Eat your broadband, Timmy. Little warezmonkeys in Australia are starving!

Please, consider sending just $1 a day.

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, little Jack can have enough bandwidth to shoot mans with guns in Team Fortress 2. For the cost of a donut with that coffee, Jack can obtain a better connection to let him make deadly Sniper shots. Your pennies can make the difference between "Critical Hit!" and "Respawn in 20 seconds."

Please give generously.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Some MMO's currently out would allow you to blow through a 5th of your monthly bandwidth in a day.

And this is where I'll be asking for the names of these MMOs that gorge 50 gigs a day.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

And this is where I'll be asking for the names of these MMOs that gorge 50 gigs a day.

I think he's talking about "downloading and patching the client", not "playing."

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just switched from Comcast to AT&T last week. I finally switched because my connection would drop out for hours at a time. I easily hit 20gigs a week between HD Podcasts, games, legal TV & Anime downloads, Video streams, legal music, and miscellaneous junk.

My area had a strong Comcast monopoly for a few years. Wide Open West (cable) and AT&T (DSL) have plans that can compare to Comcast's basic and mid grade plans but not their 16Mbps down plan.

That puts you at 80g/month, which is a third the limit.

Comcast's service in some areas is terrible, we're just trying to hammer in exactly how much 250 gigs is.

kildy on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, what? We've got a 12gb month cap on ours. I would kill for 250.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Rocko_YKRocko_YK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wow 250 gigs? sweet deal... back home in isolation land up north we only get 10 and we pay pretty handily for it too. 9$ a gig for going over!

shaw down south where i go to school is alright though, i get 60 gigs and faster then back home for 20$ cheaper.

I can see this maybe bothering some setups who have like lots of people using it though. Like 4+?

The only time I use big chunks has got to be for downloading mmo updates and full games from steam or direct 2 drive. Thats not all that often.

Note to folks who have lots of people on their same connection! If you all play WOW download the update ONCE!!! then put it on your network :P!!! I had two friends come over to play and they both didn't have the newest patch, and they both had downloaded like 40% of it before i told them WTH man no just use this... nice chunk of my paltry 10 gig limit!!

Rocko_YK on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    blah blah my cap is worse

So rather than trying to raise your cap, you're happy that others have been dragged down to where you are?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To all of you complaining about how 250GB isn't the greatest injustice in the history of injustices. Let me explain something.

We're Americans, and we're rich(except for maybe that recession thing going on right now). We eat money salads everyday and wear monocles and tophats while we're doing it. To even think these crooks at Comcast would dare put a limit on my internet, enrages me.

Why if I even come across a Comcast employee I shall deliver upon to them a royal caning the likes of which they have never seen!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    We're Americans, and we're rich(except for maybe that recession thing going on right now). We eat money salads everyday and wear monocles and tophats while we're doing it. To even think these crooks at Comcast would dare put a limit on my internet, enrages me.

So switch provider.

No other providers? Heck, buy one and tell them to lay down some fiber. You're rich, right?

Echo on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

So rather than trying to raise your cap, you're happy that others have been dragged down to where you are?

No, we're saying you're not even close to as restricted as you think you are.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    theSquid wrote: »

No, we're saying you're not even close to as restricted as you would be if you lived in the land of kangaroos.

Being ahead of your standards doesn't mean we're not below our own.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We're not saying 10gigs isn't horrible, or what have you

We're saying that to hit the cap comcast has set would require an absurd level of file transfer. As in, more than a residential customer not using the connection for business purposes should need.

Again: this means downloading four movies from netflix per day every day for a month in order to hit the cap.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

No, we're saying you're not even close to as restricted as you would be if you lived in the land of kangaroos.

Being ahead of your standards doesn't mean we're not below our own.

Never said you weren't. Still not a massive travesty, since I'm curious to understand who could feasibly use up 250GiB without being a massive pirate.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Never said you weren't. Still not a massive travesty, since I'm curious to understand who could feasibly use up 250GiB without being a massive pirate.

Linux nerds.

:P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Linux nerds.

:P

Blaaaaaahhhh what

So instead of downloading 250GiB of games I download 250GiB of Linux distros and the same packages for all of them instead.

?

theSquid on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So they finally put a figure on it instead of being vague and evasive about it? That's good news.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not surprised in the least to see cable companies imposing traffic caps, but when DSL companies start doing it I worry. There has to be some serious negligence in infrastructure maintenance in order for there to be problems with DSL customers not getting the bandwidth they're paying fore.

Every time I see one of these stories, I praise Jeebus that I live in Saskatchewan. SaskTel here is probably one of the best ISPs around. Sure, they aren't all rainbows and kittens, but they don't impose traffic caps and never will. If you call up tech support, their people will tell you how to configure your torrent client to get better downloads!

If I ever have to move away from this rectangular province, I will be a very sad panda.

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Goose wrote: »
    There has to be some serious negligence in infrastructure maintenance in order for there to be problems with DSL customers not getting the bandwidth they're paying fore.

All ISPs, no matter how they deliver, oversell bandwidth. No ISP actually has num_customers * offered_bandwidth in available bandwidth. They just hope all customers don't use it at once.

Echo on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does this cap include digital cable on demand usage as well?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Goose wrote: »
    There has to be some serious negligence in infrastructure maintenance in order for there to be problems with DSL customers not getting the bandwidth they're paying fore.

All ISPs, no matter how they deliver, oversell bandwidth. No ISP actually has num_customers * offered_bandwidth in available bandwidth. They just hope all customers don't use it at once.

No you see in America they do because they have limitless money salads and whatever so they can.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I think he's talking about "downloading and patching the client", not "playing."

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm sorry I wasn't terribly clear but I guess I thought that would be obvious, especially considering the rest of my comments.

I know 250 is a pretty high limit, but I don't like there to be limits period. It gets into the whole slippery slope thing others have been talking about.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

No, this is Comcast's internet offerings.

As for slippery slope.... what. I hate that argument. By that argument the first time ink touches paper on a constitution for a country, they're well on their way to facism or some shit. Nothing is automatically going to become repressive because someone puts a sanity clause in their contracts. This is the same slippery slope as your car insurance adding a clause that it's void if you were doing over 250 mph.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It sounds like the limit's been there all along. Just rather than saying "don't download obscene amounts of the internet", they've gone "don't download over 250gb of internet"

They'd have stopped you at the same point anyway, just now you know what that point is.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    kildy wrote: »

As for slippery slope.... what. I hate that argument. By that argument the first time ink touches paper on a constitution for a country, they're well on their way to facism or some shit. Nothing is automatically going to become repressive because someone puts a sanity clause in their contracts. This is the same slippery slope as your car insurance adding a clause that it's void if you were doing over 250 mph.

Or like the manufacturer of a line of rally-bred vehicles voiding your warranty for doing Autocross.

oh wait

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Someone needs to teach you analogies.

The problem is that when many people signed up for Comcast they bought, for example, a 10 Mbps connection. This works out to a 1.25 MBps connection which, if you were maxing your down pipe constantly, implies a monthly limit of 3.14 TB ((1.25 * 60 * 60 *24 * 30)/1024), a completely unapproachable number for household use. Since this limit was not advertised when people bought the service, they are now understandably angry. And now here's the crux of the situation, even if it's a reasonable restriction that you're highly unlikely to hit it's still a restriction that was not enumerated before.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »

The problem is that when many people signed up for Comcast they bought, for example, a 10 Mbps connection. This works out to a 1.25 MBps connection which, if you were maxing your down pipe constantly, implies a monthly limit of 3.14 TB ((1.25 * 60 * 60 *24 * 30)/1024), a completely unapproachable number for household use. Since this limit was not advertised when people bought the service, they are now understandably angry. And now here's the crux of the situation, even if it's a reasonable restriction that you're highly unlikely to hit it's still a restriction that was not enumerated before.

except comcast hadn't said "hey as long as you're paying the connection you can max it out all the time every day" they said "hey you're paying the connection but we're gonna shut down your internet if you use it an obscene amount". now they say "btw an obscene amount is 250gb/month". they enumerated that there was a restriction, now they're clarifying exactly what the restriction is. what's the problem?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ah hell yes!

zeppelin on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thankfully, my year-long contract with Comcast just expired, and wouldn't you know it, so did their exclusivity deal with my apartment complex. Looks like I'm going to check out AT&T.

Honestly, I probably don't come anywhere near 250GB in a month, unless Hulu's compression is really awful. It's the principle of the thing. They offer a slow connection. It cuts out at least once per week. It becomes noticeably slower from about 5pm to 10pm. And the upstream speeds are laughable. Now they want to cap it?

Man, fuck Comcast and their awful service. This is the last straw.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

except comcast hadn't said "hey as long as you're paying the connection you can max it out all the time every day" they said "hey you're paying the connection but we're gonna shut down your internet if you use it an obscene amount". now they say "btw an obscene amount is 250gb/month". they enumerated that there was a restriction, now they're clarifying exactly what the restriction is. what's the problem?

Here are the terms of use for Comcast internet dated January 2006, specifically the bandwidth usage part:
    Comcast may provide versions of the Service with different speeds and bandwidth usage limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Service plans. You shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, you shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, disrupt, degrade, or impede Comcast's ability to deliver and provide the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services.

You further agree to comply with all Comcast network, bandwidth, and data storage and usage limitations. You shall ensure that your bandwidth consumption using the Service does not exceed the limitations that are now in effect or may be established in the future. If your use of the Service results in the consumption of bandwidth in excess of the applicable limitations, that is a violation of this Policy. In such cases, Comcast may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your Service account or request that you subscribe to a version of the Service with higher bandwidth usage limitations if you wish to continue to use the Service at higher bandwidth consumption levels.

And here's a link to the page where that quote lives - http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp.

Where in the above quote does it say there are restrictions? It says that if there are you have to abide by them, which implies that they may exist, but it doesn't actually say if they are in place. Also, looking at the internet services section on Comcast's site, there is nothing there to say that there is a limit. It just points you to the terms of use.

Edit: Yes, the wording of the terms leaves them outs, but that doesn't mean that whatever they do is ethically right with respect to their customers.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But if you'd gone over 250 before, they would've done the same thing they're saying they'll do now. The only difference, according to reports, is that you now know about it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My brother and sisters are Youtube whores BIG TIME. They also download lots of music (ololol theatre majors), but they have already maxed their hard drives. I'll just let them know to take it easy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Which is why you can opt out of the contract with no early termination fees due to a change in the contract!

If you feel you'll hit the cap.

Companies changing their TOS due to changing circumstances is pretty normal. In this case they sold unlimited, a few people proceeded to do business on a residential class connection, and they added a "knock it the fuck off" rule.

I don't consider adding a sanity check to something to be ZOMG SLIPPERY SLOPE ZOMG.

kildy on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I appreciate that they've actually officially enumerated the limit now, but it's still a shitty thing to do.

Hopefully they add the ability to see where your bandwidth is at for the month so you can reasonably know how much you use.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg