Options

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Games and Technology

GPIA7R on

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Really? 250gb.. really? I doubt ANY gaming uses 250gb of traffic.

I don't think this will affect even the hardest of core gamers.

now the free tv shows and mp3s, well.... sorry.

Just think of it this way.. now you can't bitch "but I'm paying for an unlimited subscription bitches." Think "I'm paying for 250gb a month bitches."

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Games do not use a large amount of bandwidth. More than websurfing, yes, but the idea in multiplayer gaming is to keep latency low, which means keeping the data transferred to a minimum.

What this does however is put a crimp in the downloading of files. Be it games from steam or whatever.

kildy on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is no way games would put even a dent in that cap. That could significantly impact people who use things like Netflix streaming and such though - from looking at the XBL store, a single high definition TV show episode is 2 gigs.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    FluxcapFluxcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't go over 8.3 gigs a day and you will be good! I am on Comcast, this is lame but shouldn't ever effect me.

Fluxcap on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Games do not use a large amount of bandwidth. More than websurfing, yes, but the idea in multiplayer gaming is to keep latency low, which means keeping the data transferred to a minimum.

What this does however is put a crimp in the downloading of files. Be it games from steam or whatever.

Or movies through Netflix, XBL, downloadable content (Siren on PSN is ~7GB for the whole thing)

250GB is generous, and "more than enough for most people" but for those few who it isn't, it's going to piss them right off. I also don't like the slippery-slope potential here.

Edit - And people sharing a connection, IE student housing, are going to be fucked. Sure, one person using 250GB will require dedication, but five students using 250GB is easy.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Really the only option, if you don't like it, is to cancel. Plain and simple. Go get DSL if you can. If not, look into satellite internet (shudder) or dial-up (more shudder). There only voice you have is your vote with your wallet.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This will totally fuck services like Steam or MMO's (most people just d/l the clients from the website, after all) in the ass.

Thank god I'm not on Comcast. Please Time Warner, there are plenty of legit ways a person could go over that limit. Don't be jackasses!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This will totally fuck services like Steam or MMO's (most people just d/l the clients from the website, after all) in the ass.

Thank god I'm not on Comcast. Please Time Warner, there are plenty of legit ways a person could go over that limit. Don't be jackasses!

Only if you do it a LOT.

If you download, say, the WAR online client in full on a daily basis, you'd exceed this cap.

MMO players don't do that.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No it won't. Legitimate? yes. Common? no. Who honestly downloads 8.3 gigs a day in legitimate uses, every day? honestly?

I mean, I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I think you guys are overreacting. Who downloads the MMO client over and over?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As an Australian I'd like to say...

I fucking wish I had a 250GiB download cap

Seriously? This is a problem for you? I pay $50 a month for 25GiB. That's including off-peak, and it's ADSL2+.

And let me just say that online games generate fuck-all traffic. I spent an entire day playing Guild Wars after I was capped (and hence at roughly dial up speeds) with no slowdown issues whatsoever.

As an addendum, I live in Sydney, have the most choice in selecting an ISP, and the only one that offers better prices for the cap is the first one in the world to ever start outright throttling P2P.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    As an Australian I'd like to say...

I fucking wish I had a 250GiB download cap

Seriously? This is a problem for you? I pay $50 a month for 25GiB. That's including off-peak, and it's ADSL2+.

And let me just say that online games generate fuck-all traffic. I spent an entire day playing Guild Wars after I was capped (and hence at roughly dial up speeds) with no slowdown issues whatsoever.

As an addendum, I live in Sydney, have the most choice in selecting an ISP, and the only one that offers better prices for the cap is the first one in the world to ever start outright throttling P2P.

Pretty much. We in the US are very used to unlimited services for internet. That's a HUGE cap. Like, it's absurd that anyone would legitimately pull down 250g/month unless they were pulling down 4 movies a day, every day with their rental service.

kildy on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd have to make an honest effort everyday to even hit that cap. What non business user would even need this?

solsovly on
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What about downloading purchased games from the internet too via services like Steam or direct2drive. Those put pretty hefty dents in that cap too.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    Really the only option, if you don't like it, is to cancel. Plain and simple. Go get DSL if you can. If not, look into satellite internet (shudder) or dial-up (more shudder). There only voice you have is your vote with your wallet.

Hopefully other companies step up and try to capture running customers, thus not leaving us with dial-up options D:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This isn't counting normal usage which is low but do you download roughly thirty 8 gig games a month?

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    solsovly wrote: »
    This isn't counting normal usage which is low but do you download roughly thirty 8 gig games a month?

What if you got roomates, more than 1 computer, PS3/X360, whole familty, 3 kids... I mean... I can think of ways.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    /hugs his grandfather-claused unlimited connection, which is bound by contract and can't be altered except in writing with my signature

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OP forgets to mention that this cap has been in place for a long time, they're only just now publishing it...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd have to make an honest effort everyday to even hit that cap. What non business user would even need this?
    People seem to think its Comcast's attempt to stop someone using the web as their CableTV provider. The only way you could probably use that much bandwidth is to download a lot of video. I could see how watching a lot over NetFlix, (Some Network).com, XBLive/PSN, (insert some other illegal method) could do it.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008

How, exactly? Are there any games whatsoever that are more than 6-8 gigs on Steam? And do people re-download their entire library on a weekly basis?

Most online games barely go over 4-5 kb/s. That's not a lot of traffic.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Correction in the OP:

They aren't issuing penalties for overuseage. From the article I read, they'll send you a stern warning then eventually shut down your internet, requiring you to call them to restart it.

And shit, my mom and dad's place has a 7GB cap per day. If you hit that mark, the internet completely shuts down for 48 hours. Its a bitch to come home

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meh, whatever. Other companies are rolling out fiber while Comcast is telling potential and current customers that it can't cope with high bandwidth. Whoops.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

What if you got roomates, more than 1 computer, PS3/X360, whole familty, 3 kids... I mean... I can think of ways.

You are still going to struggle to hit that.

I'm running a 20 person office that deals with streaming multimedia, and do about double that cap from just office use in a month. 20 people doing nothing but streaming AV all day.

A bunch of roommates who all have their own online movie rental contracts would probably exceed this. Like, say, 4 roomies who rent a movie a day online every day will exceed this cap.

At that point, they should all chip in and pay for the extra bandwidth, it'll be cheap with 4 people paying :P

kildy on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You are still going to struggle to hit that.

I'm running a 20 person office that deals with streaming multimedia, and do about double that cap from just office use in a month. 20 people doing nothing but streaming AV all day.

A bunch of roommates who all have their own online movie rental contracts would probably exceed this. Like, say, 4 roomies who rent a movie a day online every day will exceed this cap.

At that point, they should all chip in and pay for the extra bandwidth, it'll be cheap with 4 people paying :P

Almighty dollar already going towards paying for gas to get me to work. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    With Rogers, for my plan, we only get 60GB, 250GB is a fucking lot. It still sucks though. This trend is getting scary, and its eventually gonna fuck all of us.

Rogers throttles Bitorrent as well.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I download/upload high res art assets and print files all day long for work and I don't come close to hitting 250 GB. I can't imagine what anyone would be doing to hit that max. Sounds like a challenge more than anything.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fluxcap wrote: »
    Don't go over 8.3 gigs a day and you will be good!

Yeah, that's a pretty big freakin' number.

I'm on Comcast, too. I hate their service, hate the clipped connections down I'm downloading, and experience throttling.

But if those practices end, or are curtailed, in lieu of a bandwidth cap, that's fine by me. No way in hell I'd EVER approach that cap.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn Americans. You're complaining about what? 250 GBs a month? I get 40GB a month on my broadband plan. And it's a good plan (by Australia's crappy standards). Be grateful.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd never hit the cap, but it still makes my desire for FIOS to finally reach me just to provide somewhere else to turn should it ever get ridiculous.

I hate this "not a monopoly but really is" crap that is our internet selection. Comcast or dial-up is not choice.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Damn Americans. You're complaining about what? 250 GBs a month? I get 40GB a month on my broadband plan. And it's a good plan (by Australia's crappy standards). Be grateful.

Eat your broadband, Timmy. Little warezmonkeys in Australia are starving!

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just to see that there's a cap seems like a bad thing but really it looks like this will only be affecting people who torrent shit all day every day.

I'm downloading the internet!

JJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Just to see that there's a cap seems like a bad thing but really it looks like this will only be affecting people who torrent shit all day every day.

I'm downloading the internet!

Delicious Hell Cake. You must eat it.

I think I'm the only other person who played that game.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only if you do it a LOT.

If you download, say, the WAR online client in full on a daily basis, you'd exceed this cap.

MMO players don't do that.

I bought my copy of Vanguard on Direct2Drive. So that + patching is what, 30gb+ right there. Plus games on Steam.

If I reformat my machine for whatever reason I can easily blow through 100gb+ bandwidth.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know how much bandwidth i'd use if i was looking at youtube all day?

NickTheNewbie on