As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency : Sara Palin - Republican VP

• Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    TechieZero, do you even know what a Marxist is?

Seriously. I am officially calling you out on this thing, TechieZero. Either give us some reasoning as to why you believe Obama is a Marxist, preferably while demonstrating a working knowledge of just what the fuck Marxism is, or shut the fuck up.

Your call, buddy.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Variable wrote: »

then they would vote democrat. I do not believe there is an effective number of women who are going to vote against their own beliefs and values just to put a woman in the VP spot.

We'll see. I'm interested, as well.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    HAY GUYS BIG BIG NEWS
    This is a shocking and brilliant choice by McCain. McCain/Palin announce in must-win OHIO. Stomps out the Obama funeral story. If McCain does not run for re-election the 44 year old Palin will be the Republican nominee in 2012. If the Democrats can be bought back to life after they are destroyed in NOvember and in 2010 they will have to nominate a women to run against Palin in 2012. Hillary. Yes, Hillary. Palin will help win women around the country. Palin will help with women in the Philadelphia suburbs. Ohio and Michigan and Pennsylvania will likely go with NRA member and hunter Palin. The Republican Party is now 100% unified and not in a fake way. The Republicans are showing they once again know how to run an election. This is a shocking announcement with not much of a buildup (most thought it would be dull Romney, Pawlenty, or generic white male) which compares brilliantly against the trumpted weeks long hype of the Obama campaign - a big buildup for a dud. Women will savage the Democratic Party and Obama/Dean/Brazile/Pelosi for their sexism and misogyny. Palin, whose political views we do not share, is well-spoken and articulate and tough. Palin is a maverick hated by the Alaska Republican Party because she has challenged them on ethics. Hillary’s 18 million voters (many disenfranchised by the Democratic(?) Party) will determine this election and they just have by rejection of Obama/Dean/Brazile/Pelosi. The upcoming hurricane is potentially good news for McCain/Palin and not a problem if they use it to advantage. McCain/Palin can contrast their care by either postponing the Republican convention (which helps with financing a shorter general election season and gaining additional days of Republican control of the news cycles) or they can actually demonstrate they care by going to New Orleans or whereever the hurricane hits. McCain has made a big bold amazing pick which knocks Obama’s fake campaign to the dirt - buried.]

meaningless.

by that I mean, if someone is going to twist any event into working for them a certain way, the way that they do so is literally completely inconsequential to me or anyone else. asinine.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I have to say that this is actually a pretty good move. Palin, for all intents, seems like a genuinely decent conservative who's actually played by the rules. I don't like her stances, but she kind of seems to me like a younger, cleaner Huckabee.

She's more like a younger, more practical Ron Paul.

Her record is Libertarian/Conservative as opposed to Evangelical/Conservative.

I'll have to learn more about her votes though.

Either way I'm not voting for this ticket because I hate McCain but it might set up good things for the GOP in 8 years if she has to run against Hillary at the top of the ticket.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Did having a woman as his VP help Mondale?

Mondale is a Democrat.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

800px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ooh.

Ow.

Oooooh.

Ow.

Yeah, no, sorry.

Ow.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I think he got like 46% of the female vote I saw on tv before.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HAY GUYS BIG BIG NEWS

Too subtle.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HAY GUYS BIG BIG NEWS
    This is a shocking and brilliant choice by McCain. McCain/Palin announce in must-win OHIO. Stomps out the Obama funeral story. If McCain does not run for re-election the 44 year old Palin will be the Republican nominee in 2012. If the Democrats can be bought back to life after they are destroyed in NOvember and in 2010 they will have to nominate a women to run against Palin in 2012. Hillary. Yes, Hillary. Palin will help win women around the country. Palin will help with women in the Philadelphia suburbs. Ohio and Michigan and Pennsylvania will likely go with NRA member and hunter Palin. The Republican Party is now 100% unified and not in a fake way. The Republicans are showing they once again know how to run an election. This is a shocking announcement with not much of a buildup (most thought it would be dull Romney, Pawlenty, or generic white male) which compares brilliantly against the trumpted weeks long hype of the Obama campaign - a big buildup for a dud. Women will savage the Democratic Party and Obama/Dean/Brazile/Pelosi for their sexism and misogyny. Palin, whose political views we do not share, is well-spoken and articulate and tough. Palin is a maverick hated by the Alaska Republican Party because she has challenged them on ethics. Hillary’s 18 million voters (many disenfranchised by the Democratic(?) Party) will determine this election and they just have by rejection of Obama/Dean/Brazile/Pelosi. The upcoming hurricane is potentially good news for McCain/Palin and not a problem if they use it to advantage. McCain/Palin can contrast their care by either postponing the Republican convention (which helps with financing a shorter general election season and gaining additional days of Republican control of the news cycles) or they can actually demonstrate they care by going to New Orleans or whereever the hurricane hits. McCain has made a big bold amazing pick which knocks Obama’s fake campaign to the dirt - buried.]

o_O I read it. I can't unread it.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

meaningless.

by that I mean, if someone is going to twist any event into working for them a certain way, the way that they do so is literally completely inconsequential to me or anyone else. asinine.

I wouldn't discount it so quickly, Variable. They are women, you know... completely irrational. :)

Yeah Mondale was a Democrat who went against Reagan. Talk about overmatched and unrelated.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Obama is making that argument to force them to defend against it. Once they defend against it, he can turn it back around on the experience attacks they make against him.

It's a solid strategy.

Ohhh, the "secret trap" strategy.

Allow me to clue you in.

If the topic of debate is the experience of your Presidential candidate versus our VP, guess who wins by default?

The people who point out how the McCain campaign is a massive boatload of douchebags for harping on Obama's supposed lack of experience while turning around and trying to sell putting someone with a far, far, far weaker resume a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

He was a POW.

moniker on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's a good link to Obama's accomplishments as a senator? People are still saying that Obama has been a useless senator (he's spent most of that time running for president!), and it'd bee cool to have a comprehensive response to that at the ready.

Voting record.

He hasn't been in the Senate for very long and thus, hasn't accomplished a lot. However, I'd point out his bill that created http://federalspending.gov/, a website that allows us to see where every dollar of the budget is spent.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I think he got like 46% of the female vote I saw on tv before.

And that was with the Democratic Party already having more females than males?

Edit: After looking at that map, YIKES, Mondale must have sucked.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KevinNash wrote: »
    I have to say that this is actually a pretty good move. Palin, for all intents, seems like a genuinely decent conservative who's actually played by the rules. I don't like her stances, but she kind of seems to me like a younger, cleaner Huckabee.

Either way I'm not voting for this ticket because I hate McCain but it might set up good things for the GOP in 8 years if she has to run against Hillary at the top of the ticket.

She raised taxes on the oil companies in Alaska then turned around and used it to give everybody more money for the simple fact of living in Alaska. How is that libertarian/conservative?

moniker on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    An avenue the Dems definitely have to use is "This is another Harriet Myers". Unqualified blatant gender pick and reinforces McCain=Bush.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    The Obama/Biden campaign will chill, and re-focus the message that this election is about the issues, not the personalities

Is this a fakepost

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pushing aside the idea that McCain may well have picked Palin as a running mate to attract disaffected Hillary supporters, what qualifies her as a VP candidate?

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TechieZero wrote: »
    Because that would be bad, and then we'd have to mock you and disregard everything you say as shill talking points sputtered over and over again with no independent thought. So let's skip that problem and instead you can tell us all about how Palin's experience makers her ready to lead.

Wow so angry. Its not my job to tell you. I will tell you if I want to. Just on the surface from what I read about her she is 100% better than the Marxist running for the Democrats. Oh you didn't like I said that? Fine it's your opinion, but it isn't my job nor do I care about convincing you especially since most of you have your kneepads autographed by Obama anyway.

Obama's as much as Marxist as McCain is a fascist.
    Seriously, tools like you throwing around bullshit like that from both sides is what has completely ruined American politics. Because of people like you, possibly the most powerful position in the free world is being decided based on who does the poorer job dodging stupid smears.
    I'm don't support the Democrats or Republicans largely because so many people in both parties engage in that kind of shit, and I wouldn't in a million years want to be associated with it.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Narian wrote: »

I've already posed this question and his continued posting, and total ignorance of my question, has led me to say no, he has no idea what Marxism is.

I did not see this until now. I have work to do and every out of work Lib in this forum has way more free time than I do. TBH - this isn't worth my time to answer. Srsly, I am not here to debate political ideologies, nor care to.

TechieZero on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HAY GUYS BIG BIG NEWS

o_O I read it. I can't unread it.

I can't read it. It's just like a big block of stupid. My eyes refuse to comprehend those words formatted in that way, apparently.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

then they would vote democrat. I do not believe there is an effective number of women who are going to vote against their own beliefs and values just to put a woman in the VP spot.

I imagine it will fall on Hillary Clinton's shoulders to make or break these demographics. Hillary coming out as a harsh critic of Palin would be devastating. Clinton sitting on the sidelines could give her considerably more pull. A good amount of the diehard Hillary supporters have created a sort of cult of personality around her (see: Hillaryis44), if this becomes a Palin vs. Clinton fight I see that ending very, very, very badly for McCain.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I've already posed this question and his continued posting, and total ignorance of my question, has led me to say no, he has no idea what Marxism is.

I did not see this until now. I have work to do and every out of work Lib in this forum has way more free time than I do. TBH - this isn't worth my time to answer. Srsly, I am not here to debate political ideologies, nor care to.

fffffffffffffahahahahahha

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Obama/Biden campaign will chill, and re-focus the message that this election is about the issues, not the personalities

Is this a fakepost

So's your face.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Then one would suggest getting the fuck out of the politics threads in D&D.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Pushing aside the idea that McCain may well have picked Palin as a running mate to attract disaffected Hillary supporters, what qualifies her as a VP candidate?

Let's look at the press release:
    U.S. Senator John McCain today announced that he has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate and to serve as his vice president.

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us -- Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

As the head of Alaska's National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today.
    So not much.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    moniker wrote: »

She raised taxes on the oil companies in Alaska then turned around and used it to give everybody more money for the simple fact of living in Alaska. How is that libertarian/conservative?

Can you show me this somewhere? I haven't heard the story.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The Solution would then be the big "X" in the top right of your browser.

Alternately, not posting in D&D since that's what its for.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Would a Marxist not be someone who follows the political ideologies of one Karl Marx? Isn't that like asking who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I imagine it will fall on Hillary Clinton's shoulders to make or break these demographics. Hillary coming out as a harsh critic of Palin would be devastating. Clinton sitting on the sidelines could give her considerably more pull. A good amount of the diehard Hillary supporters have created a sort of cult of personality around her (see: Hillaryis44), if this becomes a Palin vs. Clinton fight I see that ending very, very, very badly for McCain.

I said it before the DNC - Obama's gotta offer Hillary some job. Now moreso than ever. Attorney General I hear batted around, but something that will make them pick between ANY vagina or THE vagina.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Because she didn't tell the Federal Government to do it? I don't know.

I'll have to examine her record closely. That's just one vote though. Not all libertarians are against all kinds of taxes at all times. Is she neocon? I don't even know her opinion on foreign intervention.

Like I said, I'm not in any hurry to examine her record. Her addition to the ticket doesn't make me want to vote for McCain. It does interest me 8 years from now however.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »

fffffffffffffahahahahahha

WHAT IF HE HAS A PORNO-HOT WIFE?

HOLY CRAP, WHAT IF HE'S GOING TO GO SLEEP WITH HER RIGHT NOW?

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zython wrote: »
    Of course, there is the problem that her state legislature is currently investigating her for abuse of power and getting a state trooper fired for divorcing her sister. Also this pick is hilarious, coming from a misogynist. My feminist friend's reaction:
    I'm a little offended. Does he really think women are that stupid? OMG, she's conservative and has very little meaningful experience, but she has a VAGINA! And boobs! And so do I! I'm voting for McCain so she and I can be BFFs for life!!!!

Shit, I was going to point this out...

Again, this is not designed to pull hardcore, liberal feminists into the fold.

It's a way to make the 30% or so of Hillary supporters (WHITE WOMEN) who aren't comfortable with Obama feel better about voting for McCain.

And yes, it will work, in part because the "Obama base" has been completely scornful and inhospitable to Hillary supporters.

So, somebody was pretty stupid, but it wasn't those women.

Wow, you have a pretty shitty viewpoint of women if you think they are so easy to sway.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pro-Choice isn't about what you do. It is about what you think you should be able to tell other people to do. She deserves respect for following her beliefs through a difficult time, but that's not relevant here. What is relevant is whether or not she has the right to force those beliefs on someone else.
    I will tell you what is relevant, as someone who recently converted to Christianity (approximately 45 seconds ago for the purpose of this post). Her choice to have this retarded child shows something lacking in politics: character and moral fiber. Most liberals would abort a child with Down's Syndrome because they don't respect life. A lot of Republicans would too, and that party has taken us evangelicals for a ride by paying lip service to abortion. But respect for life based on God's law is the basis of our entire country. Sarah Palin hasn't just talked the talk—she's walked the walk.

Deconverted, Hail Satan!

I am really interested to see what Clinton has to say about Palin. I think she could be totally fucking awesome.

Qingu on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm wondering if the choice of an inexperienced person for VP was an intentional move on McCain's part. Bush has taken alot of criticism for the fact that Cheney is such a powerful, shadowy figure. He's arguably the most powerful VP in history, and it's been implied that he's the true power behind Bush, the uncrowned king.

So McCain, in an attempt to bolster his maverick image, picks an outsider who (it appears, at least) won't rise to that level of power and who can put a friendly face to the office of VP.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Can you show me this somewhere? I haven't heard the story.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008103325_alaskatax07.html
    Over the opposition of oil companies, Republican Gov. Sarah Palin and Alaska's Legislature last year approved a major increase in taxes on the oil industry — a step that has generated stunning new wealth for the state as oil prices soared.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm like 99% certain that she IS going to come out as a harsh critic of Palin.

I am really looking forward to this election season. We're going to get some good debate, and if those Youtube clips of Palin are any indicator, a great deal of entertainment.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Because she didn't tell the Federal Government to do it? I don't know.

I'll have to examine her record closely. That's just one vote though. Not all libertarians are against all kinds of taxes at all times. Is she neocon? I don't even know her opinion on foreign intervention.

Like I said, I'm not in any hurry. Her addition to the ticket doesn't make me want to vote for McCain. It does interest me 8 years from now however.

in her speech thing she was pretty much echoing mccain on iran and russia so

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »

So, pushing aside the reason that McCain picked Palin, why did McCain pick Palin?

That's some zen shit sir, I can't answer :(

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    on top of that she is under investigation for misuse of power

And Biden is a serial plagarizer, does that mean Obama's a bad choice?

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.