American Presidency: McCain picks Palin

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    See, this is why the experience argument is dumb. It just gives a bunch of fucking media people the chance to argument about "who is more inexperienced, Obama or Palin?" Which is not a good argument, because Obama is the presidential candidate and head of the movement, and Palin is the good looking second banana.

So you've seen into McCain's game here. He's going to get the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot by making experience a central issue of the campaign. That said, he's got a mountain to climb.

I don't see it becoming a bigger issue than the fact that he picked sarah fucking palin to be his vp.

Well, there is also the matter of Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic going on at the same time as the RNC.

I don't think those folks are going to like her much for using Eminent Domain to build a Wal-Mart.

Crimsondude on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, this is why the experience argument is dumb. It just gives a bunch of fucking media people the chance to argument about "who is more inexperienced, Obama or Palin?" Which is not a good argument, because Obama is the presidential candidate and head of the movement, and Palin is the good looking second banana.

The experience argument is fine so long as you frame it right. Don't make it a 'who has more experience' or even a 'let's compare their experience' tack, make it a 'if she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency doesn't that make all of McCain's attacks on Obama's experience hypocritical?' or 'does this pick symbolize a choice of good, experienced leadership in governance or good campaign politics?'

moniker on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I still can't wrap my head around this.

It's like Harriet Meirs or something.

Here is the difference:

Harriet Miers was nasty and unqualified.

Sarah Palin is gorgeous and stole Obama's thunder.

I guess.

My confusion over this choice is going to remain for several days I think.

Speaker on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

So you've seen into McCain's game here. He's going to get the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot by making experience a central issue of the campaign. That said, he's got a mountain to climb.

See, here's the thing. Barack Obama just spent the last 18 months campaigning and making people comfortable with the idea of him as President. That was what the convention was largely about, but also the entire campaign showed that he got a ton of votes and he had to prove himself in debates with Biden and Richardson and Dodd and Edwards and especially Clinton. And he did that. And he's shown an interest in foreign policy his entire life. Primarily, Barack Obama is a foreign policy candidate. If Hillary Clinton had voted against the AUMF, she wins the nomination running away, I think we all accept that.

Sarah Palin had no opinion about the Iraq war a year ago. Two weeks ago, she wasn't familiar with the GOP talking points on Iraq. She is uninterested in foreign policy and is running for a position behind a 72 year old four time cancer survivor who was tortured and imprisoned in a Vietnamese prison for four and a half years. It is tremendously important that the person in McCain's VP role is seen as credible on national security matters. Sarah Palin is not.

enlightenedbum on
    The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The thing is, the Obama campaign could do nothing but run ads about how awesome puppies are, and the McCain campaign would still hammer and yammer away about how experience is the central issue of the campaign.

Pointing out that McCain thinks that someone with less experience than Obama is qualified to be President (that's a quote from the McCain campaign's official announcment, by the way) does more to defuse that argument than anything.

Lawndart on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still can't wrap my head around this.

It's like Harriet Meirs or something.

Here is the difference:

Harriet Miers was nasty and unqualified.

Sarah Palin is gorgeous and stole Obama's thunder.

I guess.

My confusion over this choice is going to remain for several days I think.

So she's the opposite in looks and... not in experience or capabilities?

Looks might not be the only reason Harriet Miers was rejected.

durandal4532 on
    Do what you can to elect Harris/Walz and downticket Dem candidates in your area by doorknocking, phonebanking, or postcarding: https://www.mobilize.us/
    edited August 2008
    How can you pick a VP solely as a personified negative attack on your opponent?

What if you win and then die? Does McCain really want to put the country into Palin's hands?

It's just . . .

Man what.

Speaker on
    edited August 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The thing is, the Obama campaign could do nothing but run ads about how awesome puppies are, and the McCain campaign would still hammer and yammer away about how experience is the central issue of the campaign.

Actually, all of his ads here are about how Barack Obama will tax us all into poverty.

What if you win and then die? Does McCain really want to put the country into Palin's hands?

It's just . . .

Man what.

If he's dead, the what does he care who succeeds him?

Crimsondude on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's just . . .

Man what.

That's what I think's going to happen.

Would be funny (read "depressing")

Godfather on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's just . . .

Man what.

between the DNC and this choice I'm at the height in my feelings about this whole thing since I first read about the democratic candidates however many months ago. I'm not joking. Today was a gamble from someone who knew after probably wednesday night that he was not going to win with things as they were so he took a shot in the dark. after 18 hours or whatever it's been it looks to me, from every angle, like he's missed by a mile.

I just don't see how this helps him and I see so many ways that it hurts.

edit - I was imagining today the idea that in a year, reasonably, Palin could be president. Not that I wish illness or death on mccain. but good god!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would vote so hard for a Tigh/Roslin ticket. Not as hard as for Adama/Roslin though. Or Adama/Adama.

Shit.

Obama/Adama

Taximes on
    edited August 2008
    And yeah, I should add that the thing you attack Palin is not an attack on Palin at all. The fundamental question every candidate should ask of themselves when they select a VP is "Can this person hold the office of the Presidency?"

Palin transparently fails that test right now. John McCain is not serious about governing the country, Barack Obama with his selection of Joe Biden is. That's the attack.

enlightenedbum on
    The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's just . . .

Man what.

I think it's more simple than that. McCain is doing what he thinks it'll take to win. All other priorities are secondary because if you can't win then game over. I doubt he actually worries about what kind of president Palin will be after he's dead. Seriously, if he's dead why would he care?

Glyph on
    edited August 2008
    Palin transparently fails that test right now. John McCain is not serious about governing the country, Barack Obama with his selection of Joe Biden is. That's the attack.

"John McCain doesn't care about America."

Crimsondude on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glyph wrote: »
    As far as trying to pander to the female vote goes, Linda Lingle would've been more ideal. Her moderate streak in conjunction with her being governor of an otherwise Democratic state could have had favorable results. But McCain went with the other non-contiguous state governor.

Highlighted the problem for you. McCain needed somebody with a vagina who would also help bring him the crazy conservative vote (that he's been having trouble attracting, having been portrayed as moderate. Rallying the base was a much bigger consideration than experience or attracting independents.

mcdermott on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

"John McCain doesn't care about America."

Oh god.

Poetic Justice.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Ouch
    "She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president? Look at what she's done to this state. What would she do to the nation?"

Note the party identification and where she's from.

enlightenedbum on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    I would vote so hard for a Tigh/Roslin ticket. Not as hard as for Adama/Roslin though. Or Adama/Adama.

Shit.

Obama/Adama

Baltar/Zarek '08!

Lawndart on
    edited August 2008
    I just can't believe he would do this.

I'm actually really upset.

How could he be this irresponsible?

Speaker on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The MSM's already started to pick up on the "met with McCain only once," "two years of experience," and "clearly got the nomitination due to her gender" lines of attack. Both MSNBC and CNN were talking about that a great deal tonight after the initial morning "OMG VAGINA" shock wore off. McCain may be made of fucking media teflon due to his POW status, but Palin isn't, and I'm wondering if the MSM won't jump at the chance to ream McCain's VP pick in the interests of creating new stories now that Obama and Biden are pretty much old news.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

transmetropolitan13p21hb0.jpg
    He is the Smiler.

Couscous on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The reactions on this forum are priceless.

Holy God, if Palin actually manages to take some part of the radical pro-Hillary feminist vote away from the Democrats I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Qualified as to not generalise an entire school of academic thought.

Duki on
    edited August 2008
    For months, the McCainiacs have said they will run on his judgment and experience. In his first presidential decision, John McCain has shown that he is willing to endanger his country, potentially leaving it in the hands of someone who simply has no business being a heartbeat away from the most powerful, complicated, difficult job in human history.

Unfortunately, he doesn't point out that it was all to win a Presidential election, thus showing that McCain is brazenly and dangerously putting politics above governance and above the future of this country.

We've already had almost eight years of someone who has done just that.

Crimsondude on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Uh, no where in my post did i say she should have aborted her child, nor did i say that disabled children should have been aborted. What i was trying to say is, if you see a woman who's pregnant who is smoking a ciggerate, how do you feel? Do you go, "Gee, I sure am glad that she's exercised her right to choose!", no. You think she's an unfit mother for it, because she's doing something that could hurt her child. Does that mean you think that the mommy smoker should be forced to abort her baby? No, but it certainly doesn't make her a good parent.
    Forty year olds shouldn't be such sluts and have sex then?

Quid on
    edited August 2008
    The MSM's already started to pick up on the "met with McCain only once," "two years of experience," and "clearly got the nomitination due to her gender" lines of attack. Both MSNBC and CNN were talking about that a great deal tonight after the initial morning "OMG VAGINA" shock wore off. McCain may be made of fucking media teflon due to his POW status, but Palin isn't, and I'm wondering if the MSM won't jump at the chance to ream McCain's VP pick in the interests of creating new stories now that Obama and Biden are pretty much old news.

And Fox?

Couscous on
    edited August 2008
    Well, Fox is Fox.

Crimsondude on
    edited August 2008
    Palin was selected last night because McCain couldn't have Lieberman.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

And Fox?

O'Reilly was skeptical, even. That should say something. He said that the experience argument is gone now.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2008

And Fox?

McCain could forcibly sodomize an eight-year-old-boy and Fox would hail it as "a brave new foray into the youth vote."

So, you know.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Ridge would have been a smart choice since people forget what an abysmal failure Secretary Duct Tape and Plastic really was.

Crimsondude on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't know that the POW teflon will last anyway. It's already becoming a joke on the TDS/Colbert side, which means the late-night talkshows may not be far behind. Once that happens, I think the mainstream news outlets will stop allowing it to become a catch-all pass for stupidity.

mcdermott on
    edited August 2008

That can't be true. I can't believe he would consider Lieberman other than in passing.

Couscous on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's the thing that gets me. The VP pick is, in a sense, the first real 'Presidential' decision that a candidate makes and it reflects on them in that light. This pick was pure campaign politics. He had other options that could have a serious case made that they were qualified or likely would be qualified to be President shortly after taking office. Some of them also had boobs. Some of them were women, too. This basically says that McCain really has no respect for either the office or the American people. That or he thinks he's immortal.

moniker on
    edited August 2008

That can't be true. I can't believe he would consider Lieberman other than in passing.

His judgment is worse that W's.

Yes, he would.

Crimsondude on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I personally don't think it is irresponsible to pick an inexperienced VP when the people have a choice. It is still an election. McCain hasn't imposed anything on anyone. It is up to the electorate to decide. My personal view is that experience is somewhat but not completely overrated. It's the reason most CEOs and politicians are insiders. I have zero experience but I know I'd make an awesome President.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited August 2008

Dude, he just selected Sarah Palin. Lieberman is far more qualified and potentially saner as I'm sure she'll be Republican talking pointized on foreign policy.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2008
    moniker wrote: »

That's the thing that gets me. The VP pick is, in a sense, the first real 'Presidential' decision that a candidate makes and it reflects on them in that light. This pick was pure campaign politics. He had other options that could have a serious case made that they were qualified or likely would be qualified to be President shortly after taking office. Some of them also had boobs. Some of them were women, too. This basically says that McCain really has no respect for either the office or the American people. That or he thinks he's immortal.

Hm...
    me wrote:
    McCain is brazenly and dangerously putting politics above governance and above the future of this country.

Remember, this guy wanted to pick a fight with Russia and possibly start World War III over Georgia to look tough on national security.

Crimsondude on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That he made a purely political pick, one who isn't qualified to fulfill their constitutional duties and in doing so could endanger the entire country? I've been away from all media fro the last 24 hours, so I literally just got the news about McCain's pick. This is what you mean, right?

Have you not been paying attention to the republicans the last coupled decades? I say this not as exaggeration or chest beating demonization: the only consistent neocon philosophy is nothing that isn't worth selling out to achieve the greater goal of putting themselves in power because they know best. They aren't stupid, they just consider everything except having absolute control over their personal issue of choice irrelevant.

In McCain's case, anything is worth making sure Obama's foreign policy vision isn't followed and his is. It just happens to have taken a "after me, the deluge" form now.

Unless I'm missing something. I'm bone tired, and frankly surprised as hell she got the nod, what the lack of qualifications and publicly exposed scandal.

werehippy on
    edited August 2008

What the fuck?

The more I read and the more interviews I see with Palin from like a month ago, the more convinced I am that she had no real desire to be VP but was hustled into it by the GOP because they wanted someone with a vag. And now the MSM will probably rip her a new one because she's the first fresh meat they're been handed in months, if not the past year.

I kinda feel sorry for her.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    The reactions on this forum are priceless.

Holy God, if Palin actually manages to take some part of the radical pro-Hillary feminist vote away from the Democrats I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Qualified as to not generalise an entire school of academic thought.

Okay, now see, when people here have said in the past "Oh God, that link made my brain hurt" I figure "ha ha, that is a metaphor, right? Because of how stupid the people featured in the link are?"

There is a physical dull pain in the back of my head. I think I have actually shrunk in size due to the mass retardedness of the comments in that forum. I couldn't make it through a single page of one of those psychotic pro-Palin threads before a silent scream of horror threatened to engulf me and my brain tried to blow out of the back of my head.

Jesus christ.

theSquid on
This discussion has been closed.