As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D]Psionics

13»

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That's stupid, so frontline fighters get to do all the damage with their crappy mundane weapons while any caster is forced to be a support bitch.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That's stupid, so frontline fighters get to do all the damage with their crappy mundane weapons while any caster is forced to be a support bitch.

Controlling the battlefield isn't being a support bitch, it is fucking awesome. To go back to a previous example, while raids may want you for damage, 5 mans want you mostly for polymorph and drinks. If they wanted damage they could have just as easilly snagged a rogue.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Not as awesome as disintegrating and blowing shit up.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Not as awesome as disintegrating and blowing shit up.

Cept blowing shit up is passe and ineffective, and nobody worth their salt is going to fail that fort save.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006

Tell you what, go play some WHFRP. That should break you of the "But I want my character to be awesome!" mindset, and then maybe you'll have some fun.

Then you get stuck in "But I want my character to be alive or at least sane." Which is, of course, way more fun.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. In a day or so, he'll come back and apologize for arguing and taking up everyone's time, and request this thread be locked.

He does this All. The. Time.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So we're talking about casters vs fighters, etc etc etc.

Where do Monks fit into all this?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Support classes can be fucking fun if you're not self-centered and want to play with other people.
    But this has nothing to do with psions at all, unless they are just the class for the egotistical.

having never played in a game where psions are allowed, I don't even know what they are. Is there a 1-2 sentance description out there?

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Support classes can be fucking fun if you're not self-centered and want to play with other people.
    But this has nothing to do with psions at all, unless they are just the class for the egotistical.

having never played in a game where psions are allowed, I don't even know what they are. Is there a 1-2 sentance description out there?

characters who manifest psychic effects and use an energy based power system as opposed to a "you may cast 4 level 1 spells."

Gaddez on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Gaddez wrote:

characters who manifest psychic effects and use an energy based power system as opposed to a "you may cast 4 level 1 spells."

Isn't there a similiar system that can be used for magic as well? As opposed to just the stock memorization system (which I always found to be a little silly no matter how it was explained).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yoshua wrote:
    Gaddez wrote:

Isn't there a similiar system that can be used for magic as well? As opposed to just the stock memorization system (which I always found to be a little silly no matter how it was explained).

I believe the spellpoint system in unearthed arcana is roughly the same, but I havn't actually looked at it and I don't own the book.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006

I do want to play with other people, it's just the fighters and shit wont work with me so I can cast Damage spells.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

I do want to play with other people, it's just the fighters and shit wont work with me so I can cast Damage spells.
    Then let the fuckers die or if they give you any lip thrash their sorry asses. Seriously, the only reason I wouldn't play a priest is that the whole "beg to a diety for power" doesn't jive with me, otherwise I'd be smiting everything.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Last time I did that, the DM just rules that the spell fails if I tried to deal Cone/AoE damage to a group of targets at the expense of the party. and not just damage, even if I was trying to color spray to helpo the fighters out and some dual weild ranger got in the way the turn before I cast it. it would fail; due to it being at a party members expense.

Woulden't a smarter house rule be just to turn friendly fire off?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Christopher, you were basically attacking your own party just to hit two creatures.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Christopher, you were basically attacking your own party just to hit two creatures.

That's still better than just using my crossbow and missiong or shooting a damn magic missile which wouldent even kill the damn spider.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

That's still better than just using my crossbow and missiong or shooting a damn magic missile which wouldent even kill the damn spider.

No, it isn't, generally speaking. If you flamestrike your teammates, guess whose job it is to heal them for being a retard?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

It's not always about you. Specifically, it's not always about you getting the kill.

Teamwork teamwork lol.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

It's not always about you. Specifically, it's not always about you getting the kill.

Teamwork teamwork lol.

but why do the fighters allways need to steal the glory? they're stupid.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

Teamwork teamwork lol.

Only a fool would think that just because the fighter dealt the killing blow that the fighter did all the work and gets all the credit.

A wise mind knows that public adulation is only a hundredth, neigh, a thousandth of the reward that adventuring can bring.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what came over me in that last paragraph. I'll try not to talk gay anymore.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

Teamwork teamwork lol.

<INSERT FACPALM ASCII HERE>

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Someone just lock this thread, I know I'd get sidetracked by the anti-Psionics talk and spiral into my problems with other classes, there is nowhere else this thread can go.

I am also sorry for offending anyone.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    <FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM>

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. In a day or so, he'll come back and apologize for arguing and taking up everyone's time, and request this thread be locked.

He does this All. The. Time.
    Someone just lock this thread, I know I'd get sidetracked by the anti-Psionics talk and spiral into my problems with other classes, there is nowhere else this thread can go.

I am also sorry for offending anyone.

Clawshrimpy always solves his own problems in a roundabout way.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    No, no, this is a good thread! We need to let all the anger and frustration out. Before the healing can begin.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fine, let's focus on rangers or monks or something.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I PMed Mcc, so if you want to continue this discussion with me, feel free to throw me PM's.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

Teamwork teamwork lol.

Sometimes I think painful irony can be a good learning tool.

Every class has a role to play. If you're left doing nothing, you may want to reconsider your ability to play that role effectively.

Indeed front-line combatants are stupid. Next time you fight, maybe they should stand behind you.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Are you fucking ten years old? Or have Asperger's, or something?

I mean, Christ, MCC doesn't even mod here.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Are you fucking ten years old? Or have Asperger's, or something?

I mean, Christ, MCC doesn't even mod here.

I do have Asperger's thank you very much.

I saw MCC in the mod list for this forum.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    And much becomes clear.
    I saw MCC in the mod list for this forum.
    yeah, evidently he's in the group, just not listed in the rules thread. My mistake.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    And much becomes clear.

.....What do you mean by that? I'm just asking, I know you might not be implying anything, it just really gets to me when people make fun of my problems.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    And much becomes clear.
    .....What do you mean by that? I'm just asking, I know you might not be implying anything, it just really gets to me when people make fun of my problems.
    It means you're not just an obstinate jackass, and that your behavior is not entirely under your control, and as such I shall cut you some slack.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    And much becomes clear.
    It means you're not just an obstinate jackass, and that your behavior is not entirely under your control, and as such I shall cut you some slack.

Ah, thanks then, just a bit irritable about my problems.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How old are you, Clawshrimpy?
    Also, is your sig from Amdriver?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm 21, and no, both my sigs and my avvy is from Eureka SeveN.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    This thread does seem to have gone offtopic, if someone else wants to make a psionics thread feel free.

mcc on
This discussion has been closed.