As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Death Magnetic Thread [New Metallica Album]

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never once listened to St. Anger. That one song they put on the radio was bad enough. I can't even remember the name, just "HIT THE LIGHTS ON THESE DARK SETS".

It fucking sucked.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wait 'til you get to Broken, Beat & Scarred, Judas Kiss, and All Nightmare Long. Unforgiven III is fucking beautiful.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I never once listened to St. Anger. That one song they put on the radio was bad enough. I can't even remember the name, just "HIT THE LIGHTS ON THESE DARK SETS".

It fucking sucked.

That'd be St. Anger, the title track. Yeah, it wasn't good. I could find merit in 3 or 4 songs from the album, but even that was stretching it. I only like Some Kind of Monster, Sweet Amber, and The Unnamed Feeling.

cr0w on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All Nightmare Long is god damned ballbusting. What did Bob Rock do to this band?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Feels like he made them contain themselves way, way too much and go with whatever sound he felt would sell the most albums at the time, doesn't it?

cr0w on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lyrically this album isn't good. Musically this album is about on par with the black album. Still nowhere near as good as their 80's output. Wish they would get rid of a lot of the baggage they picked up during the Load era. Still, it's welcoming to hear them write some good riffs here and there and try to return to their former glory. At least it erases St. Anger to become their only contribution to this decade.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    To be fair...I wouldn't necessarily call Battery, Damage Inc., Leper Messiah, Escape, Trapped Under Ice, Hit the Lights, Seek & Destroy, or Whiplash lyrical masterpieces either.

Most of these songs tend to follow the Battery example when it comes to lyrics and music, with a touch of Load/Reload here and there, but it's a thrash album for the most part. I wasn't exactly expecting anything introspective.

cr0w on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh fucking shit! You guys are killing me.

I want to listen to it oh so bad, but fuck, I want to wait. AGH!

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Candlemass wrote: »
    Lyrically this album isn't good. Musically this album is about on par with the black album. Still nowhere near as good as their 80's output. Wish they would get rid of a lot of the baggage they picked up during the Load era. Still, it's welcoming to hear them write some good riffs here and there and try to return to their former glory. At least it erases St. Anger to become their only contribution to this decade.

I would say the guitar work on DM is better than TBA. And by a generous margin. Metallica has really never been that lyrically good, especially in retrospect, but then I almost never really even bother to learn the lyrics of most metal bands.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I heard "The End Of The Line" I thought of this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HPOcyKaTJ_o

Which is entirely a good thing, I might add.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh my fuck I caved: Oh fuck yes! YES! (Listening to That Was Just Your Life)

EDIT: Just finished listening to All Nightmare Long. Holy fuck......

cr0w isn't bullshitting...

EDIT 2: Just finished listening to The Judas Kiss. I think it's safe to say cr0w is absolutely right. This is Metallica. Holy fuck.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm really excited now...

I don't wanna go listen to it all over the internet though. I want to save it :)

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's good enough that I'll buy it, but after giving it a listen I'm not prepared to say I was "blown away".

I was a little let down by Unforgiven III, but at the same time something about it spoke to me. I wouldn't say it's bad, but I guess I was expecting something different.

Usually I tend to like albums much more after giving them a few listens, but my initial impression is that "The Day That Never Comes" and "Suicide & Redemption" are amazing songs. The rest I wouldn't quite label as 'filler' material, but at the same time I don't think there's anything too special about them.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just finished the whole album.

Oh man. I didn't mean to hype it up, but man I can't help it.

Suicide & Redemption was beautiful.

I'm so happy. :mrgreen:

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cr0w wrote: »
    To be fair...I wouldn't necessarily call Battery, Damage Inc., Leper Messiah, Escape, Trapped Under Ice, Hit the Lights, Seek & Destroy, or Whiplash lyrical masterpieces either.

Yeah, I have to say, I've never been a fan of their lyrics specifically. "Battery is here to stay", especially, is one of the dumbest fucking lines.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

Yeah, I have to say, I've never been a fan of their lyrics specifically. "Battery is here to stay", especially, is one of the dumbest fucking lines.

I'm not a fan of metal lyrics in general, which is odd because it tends to be my favorite type of music.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm not a fan of metal lyrics in general, which is odd because it tends to be my favorite type of music.

That's because you've been listening to the wrong metal.
    Metallica is the wrong metal.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here's my general review of Death Magnetic. I don't do in depth track-by-track reviews, just overall.

At first listen, it seems that the old Metallica we knew and loved has somewhat resurfaced. This album is peppered with the driving thrash that Metallica defined (and is still noted as an inspiration to this day by modern bands), but there's something oddly different about it. After my third listen of the album, it's fairly apparent what has happened here: Metallica has not "returned to form" as some people will be certainly championing. They've in fact transformed, yet again, into a monstrous beast of all things southern rock, modern metal, and thrash-punk.

From slithering whiskey-tinged riffs like the one in "The Unforgiven III", to grooves that Dimebag would have been proud to call his own in "Suicide and Redemption", straight-out thrash like "All Nightmare Long", this album is fairly broad in scope. The song construction is eerily similar to the compositions of Master of Puppets, but the riff puzzlework of ...And Justice For All is difficult to deny. In fact, this entire album seems to be an amalgamation of every album Metallica has released, even their cover albums and their live symphony album, S&M. The start-stop riffage of old has returned, along with rhythm kung-fu that will remind people of Justice's legendary closer song, "Dyer's Eve". Add a dark sensibility that you'd find in their self-titled album, more than a dash of the southern rock-influenced Load/Reload throughout.

Yes, this album is good. Genuinely good, not just "Better than St. Anger" good. The father figures of metal seem to have screwed their heads on straight, whether that be from dropping Bob Rock or letting Kirk Hammett solo on this album, and the results are pretty astounding. "The Judas Kiss" sounds like a Master of Puppets cut that got lost and has been maturing like a fine wine in a cellar somewhere. The album opener, "That Was Just Your Life", sounds like Youthanasia-era Megadeth attempting a Kill 'Em All-styled song. As far as musical performances, this album is a pretty nuanced and reasonably deep treat for all those who have merely accepted or were just outright depressed at the last 3 studio albums Metallica has released. It's infinitely more aggressive than the last 3, and easily could have come after their self-titled album instead of Load along with an apology for playing so fucking slow (although I do like their self-titled album. just for the record). James has definitely scaled back his wierd donkey-warble on this album, and instead is using a little more subtle singing voice, has a definite cut down on the "EEE-YAH!", and generally sticks to a growled bark that was his mainstay vocal performance on their first four studio albums. Actually, since James voice has actually gone deeper, then more recently gotten higher, he sounds ALMOST like he did in the late 80's and early 90's on the more thrashy songs.

Don't expect too much flair from Lars Ulrich, although he does manage a few double bass beats. His best tricks on this album are the rhythm tricks and off-time parts he does occasionally, but overall a solid performance. That and his drums sound much better than their last record. Likewise with Rob Trujillo, but he's quite the bassist. He's solid as hell and does what he needs to do, so no complaints. Kirk Hammett, however, is a ferocious beast who you can almost see frothing at the mouth during his solos on this album. He was locked up for their last album, and he has unleashed on this one.

Overall, this is a highly pleasing and pleasant surprise from a band I had all but given up on. I was expecting this album to sound something like Aerosmith with Boss death metal distortion, and to be proven wrong is a sweet, sweet victory.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

You have no idea what I listen to. :winky:

BUT I'LL GIVE YOU AN IDEA!

Gojira, UneXpect, BTBAM, Opeth, Harlots, Insomnium, and Soilwork. For range, mostly. I don't like dropping 600 band names.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But I'm oh so interested. :D

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But I'm oh so interested. :D

I did a quick edit and posted bands that generally cover the scope of stuff I listen to. I've never been a big fan of the straight death or black metals, although I dig the hell out of Cobalt.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, there's Opeth and you're not a fan of metal lyrics? :P

Really though, great range there.

As an aside, I love how Watershed is a big fuck-you to everyone yearning for "old school" Opeth.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, there's Opeth and you're not a fan of metal lyrics? :P

Really though, great range there.

As an aside, I love how Watershed is a big fuck-you to everyone yearning for "old school" Opeth.

I've always liked how Opeth just continued on progressing, but you could always tell it was them. Watershed is my personal favorite release of theirs since My Arms Your Hearse.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Judas kiss has a pretty awesome chorus. The rest of the song sounds kinda meh though.

Unforgiven 3 is REALLY interesting.

Edit -

All nightmare long - HOLY SHIT

Rotam on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guess I'll have to check this out.

SteevL on
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FUCKING AWESOME

All Nightmare Long was such a pleasent surprise. I was like "what a shitty title", and than i listened to it and had my head blown clean fucking off.

Yes, I already love this album. Return to form and a half.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fuck I'm still high from listening to it last night.

This wasn't a dream. Not a dream fuckers! :)

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the album.

But I love All Nightmare Long and S&R. They could finish a concert with All Nightmare Long, I would be happy.

Cyanide + Unf3 + Judas Kiss are disappointing, though.

Also: Kirk is back! :D

Arenow on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, i saw Opeth last night, they were amazing.

So yeah, most metal few days. Ive also got a gig tomorrow night.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is a really good album. I'll even forgive a couple of the song titles.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is like.. awesome and stuff. I was totally hoping to be disappointed so I could continue hating them. Oh well.

Fuck you, Metallica!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I caved and I'm listening to it on YouTube. A bit of it at least. I don't know why I have such an issue with listening to it early :| All Nightmare Long, liking what I hear so far.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok this is awesome
    Like, "the first four" awesome

glithert on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And hey glithert

It's gonna all be on GH3.

That should be fun.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Ok this is awesome

Yeah.
    Like, "the first four" awesome

Gracious, no.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is my favourite album of 2008. It's awesome.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you told me a couple of years ago that I might buy another Metallica CD I'd probably call you a goddamn liar.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I bought Tickets to their Chicago show on 1/26/2009 at the Allstate Arena. I don't know whether to feel sad that I didn't get General Admission (and that I got Lower Level Seating at Section 108 [Google: Allstate Arena seating chart]) or excited about the fact that this tour is going to be fucking epic considering the fan reception to this Album.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My favorite kinds of metal include aluminum, tin, copper, and molybdenum.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I seem to remember a Lars Ulrich quote, shortly after St. Anger, about why Metallica wasn't doing interested in allowing legal downloads of their singles.

Paraphrasing: "We don't want to contribute to the death of the album as an art form."

I was like, Dude, did you listen to St. Anger?

Cautiously optimistic about the new album. But that's what I told myself about St. Anger. Luckily I only listened to that shit once, and didn't remember any of it.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.