As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

*Happy Campers* are best. It is good to *smell* you again

babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Social Entropy++
Ok I'll give you the quick version:

This is the best game you ever played -
Star-Control-II.jpg

If you never played it. It's going to be ok, but you need to be proactive.

Alex Ness, a big wig for the small head of Toys for Bob, posted this on the website waaaay back in April of this year:
April 28, 2008

First we hit them with letters, next arts and crafts.

After that they won't know what hit 'em.
Activision, I mean. As part of my multi-pronged strategy to convince Activision to insist that our next project be a Star Control one, I have come up with an idea to harness the powers of arts and crafts as well as fans everywhere.

What I want to do is this: Make a giant map of the Earth. Maybe I should just buy one. I'm not a map maker. If I were, I'd probably be instantly fired for my alternative spelling of the nation known as Uruguay as well as the fabrication of non-existant countries like Nutsack Kingdom and Nutsack Kindom II. As a matter of fact, I have already been fired from previous jobs for these exact same reasons, even though none of those jobs involved making a map. So anyway, I'm going to buy a map. A real big one. Then I'm going to prominently display it somewhere in our office. Phase one of my plan will then be complete.

Phase two is where I once again, ask you wonderful community of fans for support. What I want is to put pictures of you guys up on this map. Not everybody but at least one from every country. This may be a problem for the magical isle of Greenland but who knows? There couldn't be all that much to do in Greenland, especially if you're unemployed like Andre the Giant's character in the Princess Bride used to be, so maybe someone who lives there has played a little Star Control. Anyway, what I'll do then is post your picture over teh respective country you live in. The idea being to show the fan base all over the globe. Will this help convince Activision to let us do another Star Control? I can't predict the future but I can tell you that if it's big and displayed prominently, it will help remind them every time they come to visit and be a real conversation piece. Plus it will just generally brighten our spirits. In Paul's case, this could lead to a level of congeniality rarely exhibited by man or machine. He's quite a bubbly figure, in case you didn't know.

So if you've got the notion and a camera, can you send me a picture of yourself either playing SCII or at least standing near something SCII-related? Just send it right to old alexness@toysforbob.com. Or, if you really want the picture to get there extra fast, use my new other email address: nutsack@toysforbob.com. Somehow just the word "nutsack" does make things faster and better.

Thanks,

Alex
The Coles notes are as follows: Toys for Bob want to do another Star Control project, but needs Activision to green light it for them. They are having trouble convincing Activision to give it up, so they want pictures of fans from around the globe to email pictures to alexness@toysforbob.com of you or your friends playing Star Control II or with some piece of SC2 memorobelia to post on a map to show to Activision to prove that there is a large enough fanbase to warrant further work in the franchise.

So do that.

I'm hoping for a direct port to XBLA. I'm praying for a game mode that shuffles the coordinates of points of interest and homeworlds and rainbow worlds so I can have that amazing feeling of exploration that came to me in 92 when I first played the game. God I love Star Control II.

Talk about the greatest game ever released to the PC that included a file named SC2.exe

And about how you sent Alex that email.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
babyeatingjesus on

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So what was star control

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So what was star control
    Being John Malkovich

babyeatingjesus on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So what was star control
    Being John Malkovich

Shit

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, America is probably taken already.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited September 2008
    So, America is probably taken already.
    Not yet, they all thought that.

babyeatingjesus on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Ur-Quan Masters was a remake of this right?

I played it briefly before my old computer died. Worth downloading again?

ANTVGM64 on
    edited September 2008
    yes.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    I played this again on the weekend. Kind of reminds me of Mass Effect on some level. Maybe it's just the lander.

babyeatingjesus on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree that this is the best game ever.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I agree that this is the best game ever.

So many ways to play it too. One of the reasons I would like there to be a shuffle mode is so I can't default to all the rainbow worlds to pump up my flagship in no time at all and make the game really really easy.

So many tense moments when you were almost out of gas and praying you make it back to Sol before you get stranded and murdered by whatever race you were stuck near or a Slylandro probe.
    God damn I love this game.

babyeatingjesus on
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You guys know about Ur Quan masters right? An open source port of the original source code?

It's pretty cool.

Deicist on
    edited September 2008
    Tallus wrote: »
    You guys know about Ur Quan masters right? An open source port of the original source code?

It's pretty cool.

UQM is a great port, but I would love to play Super Melee over Live.

...and get achievements for playing the best game of all time :oops:

babyeatingjesus on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I fucking hate those probes early on.

I need to redownload this. I don't think I have it on my newish computer.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    Have any of y'all played Starflight on the Genesis? It's cited as one of the influences for SC2

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    Have any of y'all played Starflight on the Genesis? It's cited as one of the influences for SC2

yes

That game ruled.

Especially the twist at the end
    Endurium is....people

Deicist on
    edited September 2008
    Oh man Starflight is a lot like SC2, but looks and sounds so ugly now it's almost impossible to play.

If there had never been an SC2 I probably would have made this a "REMAKES STARFLIGHT!!!" thread.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    Oh man Starflight is a lot like SC2, but looks and sounds so ugly now it's almost impossible to play.

If there had never been an SC2 I probably would have made this a "REMAKES STARFLIGHT!!!" thread.

Starflight - the lost colony

Deicist on
    edited September 2008
    Tallus wrote: »

Starflight - the lost colony

Oh deary me. That is some exciting news there.

Welcome to my bookmarks.

babyeatingjesus on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SC2 was wonderful.

Moriveth on
    edited September 2008
    you know, it's possible that there are people, hopefully the very young, that have never seen nor heard of Starcon2 before.

While I find that so very sad, I suppose that if you were like, born in 92 or very near to 92, it is entirely possible.

So kids, see if this floats your boat:
    The story goes that the Ur-Quan
    urquan-simple.gif
    Have decided that if you're not their conquered slaves, you're a corpse. This applies to every living sentient being in the galaxy. As a slave, you have two options for how you'd like to live your life. On your homeworld encased in a red slave shield that blocks space flight, or as a combat race as part of The Hierarchy of Battle Thralls, which has basically as badass a name as a slave army can have.

Now not all Ur-Quan are green. There are black Ur-Quan, but they call themselves the Kohr-ah
    korahcomplexdq3.gif
    The Kohr-ah believe that if you are alive, you shouldn't be, and they will kill you.

Now naturally there are some holdouts on these propositions, and a conflict has arisen. Starcon2 takes place after the great war between the humans and their Alliance of Free Stars, which is a super gay name for a space army, and the Ur-Quan's Hierarchy of Battle Thralls, which is still badass.

As you can imagine, we lost.

The game opens with a quick explanation about how Earth, just before the final stand between every race in the galaxy, sent a ship out into deep deep space in a Precursor ship, the Precursors being a race of dudes that preceded known life currently in the galaxy, now long gone, of course, and that ship is coming back after decades of being stranded on a faraway planet. When you arrive you see that Earth and her allies lost the great war and have chosen to be imprisoned on Earth forever under the red slave shield.

Naturally it takes little convincing to get cracking on reuniting the Alliance of Free Stars and cracking some Ur-Quan skulls.

Basically your job is to take your potentially awesome precursor skeleton ship and use it to persuade races to join you to destroy the Ur-Quan and Kohr-ah and anyone else that thinks Earth doesn't totally kick ass. Along the way you meet a variety of races, with their own motivations to help or hinder you, and have the freedom to build your ship to your own specifications within the skeleton to make the flagship you have always dreamed of using to blast your enemies into particles.

To do this you need to plot courses to the stars you want to visit, mine their planets for minerals which can be converted into fuel or components for your ship, and make allies to fight for you to remove the yoke of oppression from your Ur-Quan masters and stop the murderous Kohr-Ah from wiping the galaxy clean of life.

You have like 15 years or something, then someone's gonna come and fuck you all dead.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    Actually, the ship was built on that colony I believe and was not sent from Earth.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    You're absolutely right. They were sent off to a far off star to make a colony and found a wreck of a precursor ship which they repaired and took back to earth.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    Nope, they found an automated factory that had enough left in it to build the barebones ship.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    Nope, they found an automated factory that had enough left in it to build the barebones ship.
    damn... that's right.

Have I ever paid any attention to that intro?

I wonder if I could go home sick and replay it right now?

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    damn... that's right.

Have I ever paid any attention to that intro?

I wonder if I could go home sick and replay it right now?
    no... no it seems I cannot do that.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    score, downloading the ur-quan masters.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2008
    I downloaded Joy2Key and am playing with my xbox 360 wired controller. Divine.

Also the 50" has a SVGA port in the back, so I can just hook the lappy up to it and go to town. Even got 2 player supermelee running.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited September 2008
    time for me to fire this up i think.

Dynagrip on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The name of the colony planet was Unzervalt.

I didn't even have to look that up.

Also posting the Orz in this thread.

orz0ud.gif

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Star Control 2 is one of the best-designed games (overall) that I've ever seen. The ability of that game to convey the vastness of its world is amazing, especially given that it ran super-smooth on a 386.

Defender on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A proper sequel to Star Control 2 would be awesome.

Star Control 3 just didn't live up to 2 at all.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    edited September 2008
    it's just one of those games I would buy if it were re-released on any platform. I wish I could get a version for the Palm OS so I could play it on my fucking phone. I'd take shits for days!

babyeatingjesus on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Peace, as you call it, is an illusion. If you have peace, you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you."

God I love the Spathi.

Also; alls i've ever played is Ur'quan masters.

Is regular sc2 at all different?

Newtron on
    edited September 2008
    it's just one of those games I would buy if it were re-released on any platform. I wish I could get a version for the Palm OS so I could play it on my fucking phone. I'd take shits for days!

I would imagine (although I've not actually tried it) you can run it on the Palm OS version of Dosbox, which you can get Here

No idea how it'd fare with screen size etc, but worth a try.
    Newtron wrote: »
    "Peace, as you call it, is an illusion. If you have peace, you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you."

God I love the Spathi.

Also; alls i've ever played is Ur'quan masters.

Is regular sc2 at all different?

I think they may have done some tinkering with the ships in Melee mode, to correct balancing issues and what have you (don't quote me on that though) but the single player game is a direct port of SC2

Deicist on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    reading about this i am sad i missed it. So, is UQM a good way to get a feel for it?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited September 2008
    reading about this i am sad i missed it. So, is UQM a good way to get a feel for it?

Yeah, it's a really good port... you can turn the graphics up slightly (it still looks like ass, but at least it's high resolution ass) but in general it's completely faithful to the original.

Deicist on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    then i shall commence play through.... but i have class in 6 hours so maybe not tonight. But i hate sleep so maybe yes tonight.

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    *Jumping peppers* it's time for *dancing!*

Synthetic Orange on
    edited September 2008
    I play it at work. Be warned, once you actually get into it you'll lose hours happily mining planets to build up your Flagship.

Hours.

Deicist on
    edited September 2008
    That's what I'm hoping for. Someone should port it to ipod, that'd be pretty dope.