As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fucked up Dreams and Nightmares thread...

LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hi,
Sorry if this is too related to the disturbing and terrifying stories thread, but I thought dreams and nightmares were sufficiently interesting to warrant their own. So... what are your most disturbing/messed up dreams and nightmares? Or even those that just had a real impact on you... the dreams that stick with you way longer than they should.

Here's my top 3:

1.)I'm in a posh house, theres a mirror behind me and many glass windows on the outside. I'm sitting in my swanky chair, as for some reason I am rich in this dream. Then, looking out the window I see eyes... well, a whole person, a crazy looking brunette lady just staring at me, and I know she wants to hurt me. I'm tense, frightened, and just watch as she stares. Behind the cray stalker woman emerges and attractive blonde from the darkness, with a less frightening gaze but equally as steely. The first womans head CRACKS against the glass, blood everywhere, as the blonde shoves her head through my window and proceeds to enter the house, tie me up and torture me.

That last part is kind of generic, and far less frightening than the staring and knowing she wants to hurt you... and the staring *shivers*

2.) Another dream I woke up screaming from. I was somehow *in* this mental patients brain or at least can hear her thoughts. She cannot see me. There is... a toothbrush? She is in an elevator. I know she is going to kill all the orderlies, everyone she sees, maybe stabbing them with the toothbrush, but I seem to recall that she thinks she has a gun somewhere. The orderlies smile at her, they think she is just being silly. The mental patient smiles, but only I can see that it is not a happy smile, it is malicious. Inside her head, she is SCREAMING. the screaming doesn't stop. These people are going to die and she is screaming in her head.

3.) Less strictly horror, but there is a suicide gameshow telethon on TV, and the world is watching. Yet some parts are also in my backyard. A starving African family, a mother brings her young son, his feet bound to his arms behind his back. The world watches? How will he kill himself? Does he want to die? He tips himself to one side whilst trying to unbind himself, and falls to the side, cracking his head on my garden path down which blood trickles.

> I don't know why I thought this thread was a good idea. Perhaps posting them and talking about our dreams will give some kind of catharsis. Or something? o_O

Lacroix on

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate listening to people's dreams. It is like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody is having sex, I just don't care.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In dreams where I'm flying, it always takes an enormous amount of effort and concentration to fly. If I lose that concentration, I tend to fall, which mean that I usually don't get too far off the ground for fear of serious injury. There are some exceptions, although when I do it the ground, it actually hurts.

I tend to have recurring dreams about zombies and trying to run from them and/or save someone else that I care about from them. They tend to be very disturbing, with an underlying feeling that even though I keep fight, it's a losing battle and eventually I'll get overwhelmed. I always wake before that happens, but the feeling is disturbing and I remember it when I wake up.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The worst dreams are mundane dreams, dreams that seem to drag the night out to infinity, dreams where nothing happens but divergences on what I would like my real life to be, cameos that I no longer interact with but wish I did and cameos that I do interact with but wish I didn't.

Dreams that make me confront the lives I either wish I had or pretend I don't have.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was in like 6th grade, there was a period of a few months where I'd have a dream about getting up and going to school. I'd wake up and have to shower and get dressed all over again. It fucking sucked.

TL DR on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The worst dreams I have are the ones where my ex and I are still together and happy, only I begin to see the little cracks in the relationship that eventually broke us apart. It's like my brain wants to make sure I remember why things went wrong.

I've pretty much stopped having disturbing or frightening dreams because I figured out how to eject myself from them into that half-conscious state where your mind is awake but your body is still asleep. After a few seconds, I fall back asleep and my dreams change.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Recently, I've been having dreams where I oversleep and have to rush to get to where I wanted to go in the morning. The whole time I'm thinking of good excuses of why I'm late.

Then I wake up to my alarm right on time. It's very confusing and frustrating, but at the same time it's pretty relieving being on time.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God forbid you have one of those Sleep Paralysis dreams.

Nothing is worse than those. Jesus.

Godfather on
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For some reason, I haven't had any scary dreams since I was little kid. Those mostly revolved around killer clowns and being mute.

I do have stress dreams where I'm trying to play a game or something that just doesn't make any sense. The rules will keep changing, but I keep trying to win.

I'm sure that means something.

voodoospork on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, smoking marijuana regularly inhibits dreaming, or at least the memory of dreaming.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm telling you right now, at least for the moment, I'm going to win this.

This goes back to when I was in college.

In the dream, I was approached by a girl I was interested in at the time. She asked me to come to her house to help her with an art project.

I happily agreed and showed up at the agreed time. She met me in a two piece bathing suit and gave me a camera to take pictures of her. Sweeeeeeet ...

We went around behind her house, where she has a kiddie wading pool set up. "I'm going to be doing some posing for you! Just take the pictures for me, okay?" With that, she gets in the pool and drops her bottom ...

Lays on her back in the pool, with her legs over her head ...

And promptly Tubgirl's.

Vile brown liquid spews through the air in a fountain of fecal devastation. Streams of shit flow over the edge of the kiddie pool cum cess pit. Poo rains from the air onto the ground in front of me. Finally, the horror ends.

Covered in her own feces, she gets to her feet in the pool and approaches me with a twinkle in her eye and offers only one explanation ...

"That was the artistic expression of my inner rage."

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't dream

well, according to science everyone dreams, but I guess I just never remember mine

:(

Sometimes, if I'm barely asleep I can maybe conjure something in my head, but I never remember anything detailed about it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

ughhh..... yeah. Night terrors you just wake up screaming.

Freaking horrible, I always think people are breaking into my house trying to get me, and once I shake it off I spend the rest of the night awake with most of the lights in the house on.

Been, like, a year since the last one though.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess the upside is I never have nightmares either

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    snort a bunch of ketamine and take 5 hits of acid, and you get the same effect as sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis normally doesn't last 4 hours though.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The worst one I've had was possibly a sleep paralysis one but I'm not sure since I don't really suffer from it regularly. It was actually a sensation that I haven't experienced before or since so it's pretty dificult to describe. I was lying on the couch in what could have been a quasi-dreaming state, I'm not sure because I felt like I was aware of my apartment like it normally is, the only difference being that I was staring at my fan next to the couch and time seemed to be moving at this breakneck speed.

Everything was so intense and extreme it was beginning to stress me out but for some reason I couldn't stop lying there and either staring at my fan or the window. If I tried to move then I got the feeling that I was stuck in a loop and that I could only choose between lying on whichever side and couldn't escape that overwhelming feeling. Apparently as my room mate walked by I sat up suddenly and shouted "JESUS! FUCK!" He asked me something, can't remember what and I just said, "Shit! I don't know man!" and then laid back down.

I wasn't taking any drugs so I wasn't tripping and I'm not even sure I was asleep at the time. I just hope I never get that feeling again, whatever it was.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sleep Paralysis is just the worst. There is literally nothing I fear more in life than this.

You're completely aware of your surroundings, your dying to move around but you can't, the claustorphobia starts to set in, you can sense when someone is around you coming this close to waking you up but they don't and you're like "NO BITCH, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE AND WAKE ME UP! DO I LOOK ALRIGHT TO YOU?!" but you can't.

GRAAH!

Godfather on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The bad dreams I have are when I'm being chased. It's been the Mob, A 20 story snake, the Feds, a dragon and some Kafka thing. It's not the monsters themselves, but the fear of the chase and my knees going weak that scare me the most.

But the worst, the absolute worst are the ones to do with sex. It's always that I'm climbing into bed with the most beautiful women my imagination could conjure, and I wake up right before it goes down. This isn't some "hurr hurr, am I right fellas" shit, I literally wake up and feel miserable.

Tam on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of the craziest dreams I remember didn't even seem like a dream. I set my alarm the night before for 8:00 a.m. All I remember is turning my head towards the clock and seeing the time speed up. The numbers were flying by. As the time reached 8:00 a.m., the numbers slowed down, as if the clock was "braking." The clock stopped at 8:00 a.m., the alarm went off, and I got out of bed.

It didn't even feel like I fell asleep, and I don't remember a definite waking period. It was so cool/strange.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm stuck on a giant spider web made of chains. There is a scary spider looking at me in a hungry way. I can escape through the holes in the web but below awaits all the action figures I play with. And boy, they are pissed off about how I make them beat the hell out of each other. In fact, they want to show me just how it feels to be superpunched and then fly across the room, hitting the wall and floor respectively. It is a rock and a hard place for me. I had this dream every single time I ran a high fever. They only stopped a few years ago. Freaky.

Underdog on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't remember my last nightmare.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought I knew the stuff of nightmares until a few weeks ago. Then. And this is horrifying.
    I dreamed about old people that didn't shave having sex. And I couldn't wake up no matter how hard I tried.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had one last night where Obama and I were flying a Huey and we were racing McCain's blackhawk through a canyon.

Good times.

Reckless on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The 'dream within a dream' ones are fucked up, too.

I had a dream where I woke up early in the morning. I remembered I had nothing to do that day, so I started playing Halo 3. I got tired soon after, so I laid back down to go to sleep. In my dream, I woke up again, but something was wrong. My bedsheet was over my face and I felt that someone was in the room with me, standing in the corner. I tried to take the sheet off to get a better look, but every time I pulled it it moved back instantly, keeping me from seeing anything more than silhouettes. I got out of bed and wrestled with it for a minute, still unable to see clearly when I suddenly look up and see a shadowy figure reaching for my face.

I woke up in a panic, tore the sheets off and got out of bed.

That's still the only real nightmare I remember clearly. I've had fucked up dreams about falling, days being totally awesome and oddly enough a couple dreams where I had shootouts with dozens of guys in fedoras, but that's the one nightmare I can clearly remember.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Whenever I learn a new skill I tend to dream about it for about a week. The dream will start out mundane and slowly crecendo to more and more stressful situations throughout the given week.

Example: When I first learned to drive a standard transmission my dreams would have me going for a leasurly drive in the countryside with very little traffic. The final dream was of me being a German soldier in Stalingrad driving a big military deuce-and-a-half and trying to escape oncoming hordes of Russians while my passengers screamed at me to hurry. Every time I stalled someone in the back would get shot and die. Every time I drove to slow someone would get shot and die. It was such a stressful and terrible dream.

What I consider to be the crown jewel of the 'skill related dreams' is the drem I had when I learned how to tint windows. I used to work at a glass shop and had a dick for a boss. When I learned how to tint I predictably had a dream for about a week. The crescendo went like this:

I'm tinting a storefront entrance at a local mall wiht huge floor to ceiling windows by myself and having a hell of a time. I know I'm taking too long and just waiting for the inevitable phone call from my boss that delivers the ass chewing.

"Where are you, what are you doing, what the hell is taking so long?!"

Needless to say I'm pretty stressed.

I finish the door and one side and I'm in the middle of another when I see someone running at the door. At first I think nothing of it and then WHAM! right into the glass while I'm making a cut on the tint. The razorblade I use for cutting goes askew and I fuck up a massive piece of tint. Fuck.

Now I know as a glasier that the tinsile strength of tempered glass (which is what this is) is about 400 pounds per square inch. I thank my lucky stars it didnt break. About this time I start to grow concerned about the fellow who just ran headlong into it and realize he's covered with blood. I'm about to open the door and check on him when a barage of people start slamming into the glass.

I realize they are all coming for me, and they're zombies. Fast zombies

I call my boss.

"Dave there's zombies attacking the storefront I'm tinting"
    "Didja finish?" he snarls back over the phone
    "Uuuuh no, I got one window left-"
    "Well call me when you're done" click

Fuck

So I go back to tinting while zombies bang on the fucking window. Needless to say I fuck up my tint. It turns out to be the last of my tint and I call my boss back.

"Dave theyre pounding on the windows and I cant get a decent cut on the tint and I'm all out"
    " How many pieces have you wasted so far" he spits back.
    "2"
    I hear incoherant grumbling on the otherside of the phone.
    "For hells sake, next time I'll just send a monkey with a hammer over there to do it"
    "Dave theres zombies-"
    'I dont want to hear excuses, just get in the geo and get back to the shop. I'll find someone to send over there who will do it right." click

We have a shitty little geo metro that is our company tinting car. I gather my tools and head for the door. After cautiously opening it I realize there are no zombies and make a bee line for the geo. I throw my shit in and go to start it.

Nothing

I try again

It revs, spits, sputters, then dies.

Shit

The noise attracts some zombies from around the front an I see them running at me. I notice a revolver under the seat and take it out. I step from the car and open fire. 6 shots 6 dead zombies. I run back inside and barely escape being grabbed by the rest of the horde of zombies. I call my boss.

"Dave the geo won't start"
    "Well then just walk back theres a pistol under the seat if you need it"
    "I know I used it"
    "How many bullets did you waste"
    "None six headshots" I respond
    "You used up the whole thing?!"
    "Well yeah, theres a lot of them"
    More incoherant grumbling
    "Where are you" he snarls
    I relay my location
    "Well....stay there I'll see if I can send someone to pick you up....god... Do you know how much money you've wasted?!" click

Thats where the dream ended I woke up stressed and shitty. I had to go through my day trying my best not to strangle my boss since it was only a dream.

oneeyedjack909 on
    "A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think you should have gave your boss what for, and wish I was a fly on the wall to witness a grumpy employee walk up to his boss and grumble something about 'you fucker... there were zombies!' :)

Eesh. All I can say is thank goodness i've never had sleep paralysis!
    The worst dreams are mundane dreams, dreams that seem to drag the night out to infinity, dreams where nothing happens but divergences on what I would like my real life to be, cameos that I no longer interact with but wish I did and cameos that I do interact with but wish I didn't.

Dreams that make me confront the lives I either wish I had or pretend I don't have.

Hmm... that's very interesting, and i can kinda relate to that. Friendships that have slipped away etc. I do still interact with in dreams, its a very odd experience. Though my tv show obsession does mean that these dreams occasionally slip into a tangent world too, it starts off mundane 'hey Dave, haven't seen you in years' then you'll run into Locke and Starbuck and like, a Rhino or something. Last night, Lorelai Gilmore gave me shit for not doing enough revision... which is good because she is a lot less scary than my actual mother, so that one was a bonus.
    The bad dreams I have are when I'm being chased. It's been the Mob, A 20 story snake, the Feds, a dragon and some Kafka thing. It's not the monsters themselves, but the fear of the chase and my knees going weak that scare me the most.

Thats the same with me and staring dreams. I know in my head the doors are unlocked, and if I make the first move and head for a door, so will they, so the me staring at a crazy staring back at me with anticipation of whats to come, thats the worst for me.

do have stress dreams where I'm trying to play a game or something that just doesn't make any sense. The rules will keep changing, but I keep trying to win.

I'm sure that means something.

What sort of games? I think i have something similar, but its something like picking something up and i keep dropping it, or putting things in a certain order, but the objects move like magnets do when they push each other away. Though with me I think thats subconscious OCD and hating the world for not being able to organise things.
    When I was in like 6th grade, there was a period of a few months where I'd have a dream about getting up and going to school. I'd wake up and have to shower and get dressed all over again. It fucking sucked.

Ugh, you do not feel rested at all after those ones. I've been through an exam day, doing morning revision, taking an exam, going home and going to sleep - then i wake up exhausted in the real world.

Lacroix on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was nailing Lucy Liu in an igloo while playing one of those puma-killing Gameboys playing Goemon.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You were doing something else while you were nailing Lucy Liu! Dream or not, I think this makes you unworthy of respect :)

Lacroix on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You said "Fucked up". I don't know why I was playing a Gameboy with Goemon in it while doing the horizontal mambo with Ms. Liu.

The Gameboy was also green.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    Lynx992Lynx992 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We all had the sex dream, but I had a better one:

Pokemon stadium in real life. In a pool.

I swear to god I had that dream a lot.

I heard everyone chanting Charizard and I thought "Bullshit I'm not bringing out Charizard in A POOL.

Lynx992 on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I experimented with lucid dreaming years ago. It was very weird stuff. It was just like dreaming, but it was as if I had the ability to stop and start it and change it however I wanted. One of my lucid dreams was Bruce Willis had been hired to assassinate me at my grandparents house. He succeeded the first time, but then I was like 'wait a second, I'm dreaming', rewound it, and had an awesome shootout in my grandparent's living room.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had a dream last night where I was part of an elite mercenary squad sent into a mall to hunt down and kill some people, for some reason. Except instead of guns, we had NERF rifles. But like, I shot someone with the dart, and it went straight through them and they started gushing blood everywhere and screaming.

I just stood there in the dream, thinking, that isn't supposed to happen.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of my more disturing dreams was actually quite short and simple. And man in a trenchcoat shoots me in an alley.

The problem I have is that i had this exact dream, on and off, for months. Like my subconscious was trying to tell me how I was going to die.

More disturbing was a dream where at a family reuinion, my brother turns up with a brain injury from an accident where part of his head was caved right in. Everyone is trying to keep a brave face, but I go to see him and he has this look of depression, fear and pain that stuck in my memory so clearly it was frightening. His eyes were yellowed and there was a stream of brain juice coming out of them. I woke up crying. Thinking about it gives me shivers.

Edit: Rocketsauce, I accidentally lucid dreamed a few years ago, and realising it was a dream, left the current narrative and just flew instead. now my dreams are kinda fucked up because in a lot of them, I can fly, but in the "rules" of the dream, that's normal.

Lucid dreaming is all kinds of awesome though, and one of the best episodes of "Ed" was based on the concept.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fortunately, I've always been able to wake up easily. Unfortunately, I've always been able to wake up too easily.

For example, if I'm having a nightmare I can just wake up. Like I've suddenly realized the shapes of the things around me, and then they become solid. This goes both ways though. Usually when I'm having a really good dream, I can just suddenly wake up with no control. Especially if I realize it's a dream. It's like I get forcefully ejected if things start becoming too "clear".

Shinyo on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sleep Paralysis is just the worst. There is literally nothing I fear more in life than this.

You're completely aware of your surroundings, your dying to move around but you can't, the claustorphobia starts to set in, you can sense when someone is around you coming this close to waking you up but they don't and you're like "NO BITCH, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE AND WAKE ME UP! DO I LOOK ALRIGHT TO YOU?!" but you can't.

GRAAH!

Yeah, I have these occasionally.

On the other hand, the lucid dreams I have TOTALLY make up for it. Last night I outflew an fighter jet.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dreamt last night I was in church.

Seemingly, I was at my own funeral. I honestly can't remember much about it, other than my mother and sister were sitting beside me and the Reverend was saying stuff about my life.

I can never remember most of my dreams anyway.

Rotam on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008

Yep, used to have them frequently when i was younger. I seem to have grown out of them or something though, just like those migraines I had in my teens.

Most of my sleep paralysises had a black silhouette of a man that I was certain was standing in the room and observing me (even though I could never see a face) and radiating intense hatred and malice. My sleep paralysis is filled with the worst sense of dread you could imagine. They only end when I slooowly manage to raise my hand above my head and turn on the lamp.

And then I wake up and my hands are still under the cover and never moved. And that lamp was in a house I moved away from six years ago.

My actual nightmares are kind of strange. Nothing happens in them. There's just a dreadful sense of things being horribly horribly wrong.

Echo on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redx wrote: »
    snort a bunch of ketamine and take 5 hits of acid, and you get the same effect as sleep paralysis.
    Seriously, who would do that?
    Echo wrote: »
    Most of my sleep paralysises had a black silhouette of a man that I was certain was standing in the room and observing me
    Eyes... in the dark. One moon circles.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Had a dream that I thought I had stopped having actually, it's not of the exact same thing happening over and over so much as it is the same thing, as in some kind of thing, appearing in different places. I had the first one when I was very young... all it was, was a face on a fence that only I seemed to see. It wasn't until I moved out the house I grew up in that they got worse. Every time this... thing appeared there was the smell of sulfur or at least I think it is, I've never actually smelled it before in real life. When I was younger it was just a face, a rather blank one but it just... felt evil I guess. I know this seems odd but the movie 'The Grudge' scared the living hell out of me, and ever since I saw it the face was given a form... and worst of all a voice. Now every time I have the dream there is that horrible croaking/gurgling along with the smell and the sight of this thing. Last night I 'awoke' in a bed, this is bad because I don't sleep in a bed but on a couch, I realized it was the bed in my parents old bedroom in my old home. After sitting up I suddenly smelled the sulfur... I closed my eyes, could hear that sound and tell that the thing was right next to me but I just kept thinking to myself that I know it's a dream, that this couldn't be real because I couldn't even get into the building anymore. It took awhile, but I woke up... and had to lay there for what seemed like an hour, I was afraid to get up, thinking the same thing would happen.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've had a recurring dream since I was about five, and every time it happens, I'm still five in the dream.

Spoiler for disturbing content.
    I find out my parents have been killed in a car wreck, and left nothing but debt behind. (Yes I was aware of the mortgage on our house when I was five). The state decided to turn our house into an orphanage, so by that night there were a couple dozen other children staying there, and the one caretaker. The caretaker was demonic, changed genders and appearance at will, and tortured the other children. It would hypnotize them into being mindless worshiping followers, and kept trying to do the same to me.

I tried to run away, but one of the other children, which was my friend before the demonic thing showed up, caught me and dragged me back to the demon with superhuman strength. I was helpless. In punishment for running away, the demon thingy gave me a rusty old hacksaw and told me I had to saw my left hand off, put it in a pot of boiling water until the flesh fell off the bones, then pick the pieces of flesh out of the boiling water with my other hand and eat them. I tried to run away again, was caught, and all the children held me down, my friend's face right by mine, and they used the rusty saw to cut my throat. Rinse and repeat, all night.

korriander on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If anyone's interested in lucid dreaming, an easy way to do it is to focus on a "trigger" in your waking state. For me, it's my hands. So, throughout the day I will look at my hands and say "When I look at my hands, I will know that I am dreaming". I just look at my hands and say that.

The theory is, when you look at your hands in your dream, the constant repitition and focus will trigger that state, and you will become aware of your dreams. I did it for about a week years ago, and it worked.

The reason I stopped was because it didn't even feel like I was sleeping anymore. I could literally remember everything about my dreams, and could even perceive the outside world while I was asleep. I was still living at home, and in my dream I could hear my mom walking up the stairs and doing some laundry. I realized I was dreaming, and with no effort at all, opened my eyes, woke up, and got up. It was just...weird. Like I wasn't asleep, but I was.

RocketSauce on