As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moist and chewy computers - new Microsoft ad campaign, featuring Jerry Seinfeld

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hah, I liked the super secret video game they were playing...and the story about inheritance and polymorphism.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    Hah, I liked the super secret video game they were playing...and the story about inheritance and polymorphism.

Yes, but don't worry, there's a firewall. The second commercial was so much better than the first, but would not have been as good without the lead in. As far as comparing these commercials to the Mac ads, it is clearly a case of the Chewbacca defence.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The portrayal of Jobs as a frail old lady was pathetic and mean spirited, pretty much Bill Gates' personality in a nutshell.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't see what everyone is complaining about with the ads. Sure they aren't saying HOLY SHIT BUY A PC BECAUSE MACS ARE SHITTY! But come on do people think they actually need to advertise windows? It's not like it doesn't already come with every pc ever.

I don't really see these as traditional ads trying to make you buy a product. Like people said I guess its more about company image and things like that. I see them as something along the likes of the burger king commercials where the king just pops out of nowhere and hands someone a sandwich and it flashes the bk logo.

These ads are more just like "Something entertaining brought to you by Microsoft"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The portrayal of Jobs as a frail old lady was pathetic and mean spirited, pretty much Bill Gates' personality in a nutshell.
    Bwah?

Quid on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »
    Microsoft really does have a reputation worse then they deserve.

Yeah, it's not like they're convicted monopolists or anything.

If it were anyone else, I'd shrug and say its not their best product and move on. But the whole OOXML mess and the consistent smear campaign bullshit they do about their competition (see Linux's "patent infringements") makes them comparable to Republicans in terms of what their reputation ought to be.
    "Hello. I'm a Mac."
    "and I'm a PC."

Hmmmmmm.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate this fucking commercial so much, it's like 8 god damn minutes long

8 minutes of jerry seinfeld shilling for the biggest company evers, fuck that noise.

At least it's not a retarded Mac commercial though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked the ad when I saw it. It's funny, and I know it's from Microsoft, and that's really all I need. I'd rather be entertained by commercials than informed by them anyway, because they don't have a track record of doing either very well. Might as well make them slightly less abhorrent with comedy!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like these ads. There's just something inherently funny about Bill Gates hanging out with Jerry Seinfeld.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Seems like it's very much for the Curb Your Enthusiasm crowd, which might be why I actually find them funny. I still harbor antipathy towards Microsoft, but these ads are funny to me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The chinese takeout scene is just so dammed full of win.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Bwah?
    Oh come on, Quid, everybody knows Bill Gates is a total douchebag.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »
    Microsoft really does have a reputation worse then they deserve.

Yeah, it's not like they're convicted monopolists or anything.

If it were anyone else, I'd shrug and say its not their best product and move on. But the whole OOXML mess and the consistent smear campaign bullshit they do about their competition (see Linux's "patent infringements") makes them comparable to Republicans in terms of what their reputation ought to be.
    "Hello. I'm a Mac."
    "and I'm a PC."

Hmmmmmm.

For the record, I'm a Linux fanboy (proud of it), not a Mac fanboy. I'm not really impressed with Apple either.

theSquid on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I think there's meant to be a subtle hint that the old lady is like Steve Jobs; the mention of her being there for 12 years, and Jobs' return to Apple roughly 12 years ago.

I don't see it being such a huge deal, though, since I didn't pick up on it until reading some other forums commenting on it, and I don't think they were going for a direct attack. These ads were probably done a long time ago, for that matter, when there wasn't much being said about his health.

(Although this has nothing to do with Gates' personality...)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seinfeld?

....Seinfeld?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Yeah, I think there's meant to be a subtle hint that the old lady is like Steve Jobs; the mention of her being there for 12 years, and Jobs' return to Apple roughly 12 years ago.

I don't see it being such a huge deal, though, since I didn't pick up on it until reading some other forums commenting on it, and I don't think they were going for a direct attack. These ads were probably done a long time ago, for that matter, when there wasn't much being said about his health.

Eh, I'm sure it's a dig at Jobs. Spend this much money and time on an ad, and details like that don't get in there by mistake.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That old Lady seemed pretty healthy to me.

Not to mention talented

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oops, sorry guys. Forgot to quote this in my response:

(There's another post in the Tech subforum like this, also by him.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    I liked the ad when I saw it. It's funny, and I know it's from Microsoft, and that's really all I need. I'd rather be entertained by commercials than informed by them anyway, because they don't have a track record of doing either very well. Might as well make them slightly less abhorrent with comedy!

100% agreement.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lanz wrote: »

Not to mention talented

Seriously, that's not a very good jab at Jobs if that's what the intention was. The old lady was better than Jerry and Bill at times.

I think they were just trying to play up the whole "living with a real family" who wasn't really that normal.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

Not to mention talented

Seriously, that's not a very good jab at Jobs if that's what the intention was. The old lady was better than Jerry and Bill at times.

I think they were just trying to play up the whole "living with a real family" who wasn't really that normal.

What about the fact that the husband seemed generally annoyed with his mother-in-law being there 12 years?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What about the fact that the husband seemed generally annoyed with his mother-in-law being there 12 years?
    I can't tell what you're saying here. Again, that seems to me to give credibility to the 'real family' feel.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't tell what you're saying here. Again, that seems to me to give credibility to the 'real family' feel.

I'm talking about the jab at Jobs. It was said it was kind of weak because the mother-in-law seemed competent, but she was grouchy and the father clearly disdained her presence. How does that factor into the jab at Jobs?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ah. See, I'm of the mind that people making the stretch to "but that was a shot at Steve Jobs, and they're making fun of people with cancer" have their iHardware shoved so far up their asses that they can't think straight.

disclaimer: I own multiple Apple products.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Seinfeld?

....Seinfeld?

Seinfeld

Picardathon on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah. See, I'm of the mind that people making the stretch to "but that was a shot at Steve Jobs, and they're making fun of people with cancer" have their iHardware shoved so far up their asses that they can't think straight.

disclaimer: I own multiple Apple products.

Agreement. The 12 years thing is a stretch, they're not personifying Jobs as an old lady, you're grasping at straws. As for the ad itself, it's actually okay. Longest commercial I've ever seen, though.

theSquid on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    In some round about way I think this ad describes the windows experience. You keep bending and trying to break the shoe but it never really will ever fit right unless you get a size bigger. In this case pay Microsoft an extra $50 for more than basic windows.
    I think it's moreso that you have to kind of work with it and figure out how to MAKE it fit, which can take work or odd solutions (shoes in the shower), but it's better than being handed a computer and patted on the head.

I think it's more like "hey, I want to put this thing on my foot. It belongs on my foot." That's why the shoe analogy fits so well.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bwah?

Yes he is.

Not to mention all of the anti-trust and other scandals surrounding MSFT in the USA and Europe. Purchasing a clean conscience is hardly new.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bwah?

Yes he is.

Not to mention all of the anti-trust and other scandals surrounding MSFT in the USA and Europe.
    At least he isn't responsible for those dogshit mac ads. Steve Jobs should do the only honorable thing and kill himself.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I look at it the same way as the Bioshock/Goatse art contest submission. If you've never seen Goatse and someone said to you "That's a dude spreading his asshole open and his donger's swinging free in the breeze", you'd think they were nuts. Same thing with these ads - there's a ton of backstory between Microsoft and Apple that provides context that wouldn't stand out to someone who wasn't aware of it.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm well aware of it, and I still think you're pulling shit out of your ass so you can help justify all that hate you've got the company you see as the big bully on the playground.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Bwah?

Yes he is.

Not to mention all of the anti-trust and other scandals surrounding MSFT in the USA and Europe.
    At least he isn't responsible for those dogshit mac ads. Steve Jobs should do the only honorable thing and kill himself.

i'll pretext by saying i own macs. several macs.

i find the ads aren't really aimed at the power user, or even just the "often" user. do you know how many people think those ads are comedy fucking gold?

even if you don't like them, you have to admit they work.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm well aware of it, and I still think you're pulling shit out of your ass so you can help justify all that hate you've got the company you see as the big bully on the playground.

I don't hate Microsoft at all. Exchange 2003 and Active Directory are by and large a pleasure to work with and I can't imagine how many hours of fun I've gotten from my 360. Steve Ballmer even took the time to reply to an email I sent him. There aren't a lot of people at that level who would bother to answer an individual question like that.

But MSFT has a history and a rep for doing things ranging from unethical to illegal when it comes to their competitive practices. That's just how it is, it's a matter of record. And after several years of improving their image, these ads just look to me like they're lapsing back into their old ways. I think they're having trouble dealing with the fact that the public perception of Vista, deserved or not, is bad (see those terrible Mojave ads as an example of how they're flailing over Vista's rep). And now they're lashing out at Apple over it, passive-aggressive style, because the Mac vs. PC ads capitalized on Vista's woes and played pretty fast and loose with the truth, as Steve Jobs is known to do. I thought it was pretty amusing until the old woman thing, which to me was a low blow against a guy who's had health issues. I dunno, maybe Jobs secretly called Melinda Gates a fatty and Bill heard about it.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't see how the old woman represents Steve Jobs at all.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I don't see how the old woman represents Steve Jobs at all.

You've clearly never slept with Steve Jobs.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    :lol:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If these ads are meant to be subjected to the kind of deep literary analysis that some of you are applying to them they're even worse than I thought they were

they're high on quirk and slightly amusing, but they sure as shit don't sell Vista

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    If these ads are meant to be subjected to the kind of deep literary analysis that some of you are applying to them they're even worse than I thought they were

they're high on quirk and slightly amusing, but they sure as shit don't sell Vista

They're not necessarily meant for that. The Mojave Experiment ads are to sell Vista. These are to promote the Windows brand in general.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To get where I'm coming from you'd have to have just listened to Ryan Block spend ten minutes in a masturbatory "analysis" of the "deep symbolism" of the first ad on last week's TWiT.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't see why it's so difficult to imagine that deep thought and symbolism went into these ads. I mean, the agency that developed the campaign isn't getting millions of dollars so that their creatives can get baked and go "ohh mannn what if the grandma was like, awesome at everything though?"

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget