As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Today's secret word is... FUNGIBLE.

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Ladies and gentleman, Mrs. Sarah Palin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFyArd8zdw

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There's a fungible amongus...ible.

Alternatively: [We all run around in circles yelling]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NTc4OyPHuY&feature=related

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fungible is a FUNgible word.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Please remember to tip your waitress. She needs it to help pay for gas."

Tach on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.breitbart.com/print.php?id=D939MA9O0&show_article=1&catnum=3
    WASHINGTON (AP) - John McCain and Barack Obama are targeting each other's economic advisers in a new pair of dueling campaign ads.
    Republican McCain released a new spot Thursday that quotes The Washington Post as saying Democrat Obama gets advice on mortgage and housing policy from a former Fannie Mae chief executive, Franklin Raines.

Obama responded with an ad about McCain's "fundamentally wrong" advisers. That's a play on McCain saying earlier this week, as turmoil rocked Wall Street, that the "fundamentals of our economy are strong." He later backtracked from the comment under criticism from Democrats, including Obama.

Obama's campaign says Raines is not an Obama adviser and that McCain's campaign knows it because Raines said so in an e-mail earlier this week to Carly Fiorina, a top McCain adviser. Obama's campaign provided The Associated Press with a copy of the e-mail.

"Carly: Is this true?" Raines asks above a forwarded note informing him that Fiorina was on television saying he was an Obama housing adviser. "I am not an adviser to the Obama campaign. Frank."

Obama's campaign says Fiorina did not respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPUuHCHRY4g

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fungible? I don't even know 'er!

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What the hell does fungible mean?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Vic_viperVic_viper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I had no idea what fungible meant

- of goods or commodities; freely exchangeable for or replaceable by another of like nature or kind in the satisfaction of an obligation.

The answer still seems to ramble.

Vic_viper on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oldmanken wrote: »

It means your face.

Or that it doesn't really matter if we drill.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I am sad that there is not a schoolhouse rock song for fungible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

Couscous on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oil from Venezuela is the exact same as Oil from Saudi Arabia or anywhere else. It's fungible.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    538 just went to 71.5% win percentage.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit, so days before the ad aired Raines asked Firiona if she was asking if he was claiming he was an advisor? Jesus it is true, even when they know its bullshit they run with it anyway. I figure in 2 days there will be the McCain ad claiming Obama has the iraqis holding back on agreeing to withdrawal.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We should make a betting pool for how many more threads there'll be before the election.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks like Troopergate investigators are going to complete the investigation before the election, delays be damned.
    AP wrote:
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Alaska lawmaker directing an abuse-of-power investigation of Gov. Sarah Palin promised Friday the probe will be finished before the election, despite refusals by key witnesses to testify, including the governor's husband.

After waiting 35 minutes for Todd Palin and two state administrative employees to appear under subpoena before the state Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Hollis French condemned their refusal to testify and the attorney general's broken promise that seven other witnesses would testify who were not subpoenaed.

French said the retired prosecutor hired by the Alaska Legislature to investigate Palin, Stephen Branchflower, will conclude his investigation by Oct. 10. Still, that report will not include testimony from the Republican vice presidential nominee, her husband or most of the top aides Branchflower hoped to interview.

Sarah Palin's allies hoped the investigation would be delayed past the election to spare her any troublesome revelations — or at least the distraction — before voters have made their choice. Palin's reputation as clean-government advocate who takes on entrenched interests is central to her appeal as Republican John McCain's running mate, and possibly at risk in the probe.

Palin initially promised to cooperate in the investigation, telling the Legislature to "hold me accountable." Lawmakers were investigating accusations she dismissed the state's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper. She now opposes the investigation.

Palin spokesman Bill McAllister declined to comment Friday. The McCain campaign said there are concerns about the effect of political influence on the Legislature's inquiry and Palin will provide any information needed to a separate investigation by the Alaska State Personnel Board.

The committee subpoenaed six people to appear Friday to testify or meet for private interviews with Branchflower. French said three of those six had complied. Todd Palin, special assistant Ivy Frye and Randy Ruaro, who is the governor's deputy chief of staff, did not.

Todd Palin's attorney sent French a letter Thursday listing Palin's objections to the Legislature's investigation of his wife. Among them, the attorney said, were jurisdiction questions, separation of power issues and an inconvenient travel schedule. Subpoenas were approved on seven other government employees, but not served because the state attorney general's office had agreed to cooperate, French said. But Attorney General Talis Colberg earlier this week reversed himself, saying the governor declined to participate and that Palin administration employees would not appear.

French said subpoenas will be issued for those seven people, ordering them to testify on Sept. 26.

Witnesses who refuse to testify can be found in contempt under Alaska law. But the full Legislature must be in session, which won't happen until January. That means witnesses can stonewall without penalty beyond the Nov. 4 election, lawmakers said.

One of them, Sen. Gene Therriault, opposed the subpoenas. He said Friday the investigation was intended to uncover whether the governor was justified in firing Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, and he believes she was.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Apparently Nevada went white. DAyum

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think what she said is as terrible as you all seem to think but then again I'm good at parsing nonsensical statements and finding their meaning because that's pretty much what you do in law school.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oil from Venezuela is the exact same as Oil from Saudi Arabia or anywhere else. It's fungible.
    Except for when Venezuela donates oil to poor people in New England for the sole purpose of pissing the republicans off. Then it's better.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think what she said is as terrible as you all seem to think but then again I'm good at parsing nonsensical statements and finding their meaning because that's pretty much what you do in law school.

The first time I read it I was more "Dude...wait, what?" I didn't understand what she was saying at all. After parsing it, it seemed like she was trying to describe was fungible was to people who wouldn't know what that word means, but did so in a rather confusing manner.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

So explain to me how saying something is fungible and then saying that Congress should restrict oil drilled in the USA to the USA makes sense?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

She issued a blubbering point of nonesense, it was basicaly "Digging more oil won't really change things, but that oil should go to america first". And everyone was like "And?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »
    Looks like Troopergate investigators are going to complete the investigation before the election, delays be damned.
    AP wrote:
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Alaska lawmaker directing an abuse-of-power investigation of Gov. Sarah Palin promised Friday the probe will be finished before the election, despite refusals by key witnesses to testify, including the governor's husband.

After waiting 35 minutes for Todd Palin and two state administrative employees to appear under subpoena before the state Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Hollis French condemned their refusal to testify and the attorney general's broken promise that seven other witnesses would testify who were not subpoenaed.

French said the retired prosecutor hired by the Alaska Legislature to investigate Palin, Stephen Branchflower, will conclude his investigation by Oct. 10. Still, that report will not include testimony from the Republican vice presidential nominee, her husband or most of the top aides Branchflower hoped to interview.

Sarah Palin's allies hoped the investigation would be delayed past the election to spare her any troublesome revelations — or at least the distraction — before voters have made their choice. Palin's reputation as clean-government advocate who takes on entrenched interests is central to her appeal as Republican John McCain's running mate, and possibly at risk in the probe.

Palin initially promised to cooperate in the investigation, telling the Legislature to "hold me accountable." Lawmakers were investigating accusations she dismissed the state's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper. She now opposes the investigation.

Palin spokesman Bill McAllister declined to comment Friday. The McCain campaign said there are concerns about the effect of political influence on the Legislature's inquiry and Palin will provide any information needed to a separate investigation by the Alaska State Personnel Board.

The committee subpoenaed six people to appear Friday to testify or meet for private interviews with Branchflower. French said three of those six had complied. Todd Palin, special assistant Ivy Frye and Randy Ruaro, who is the governor's deputy chief of staff, did not.

Todd Palin's attorney sent French a letter Thursday listing Palin's objections to the Legislature's investigation of his wife. Among them, the attorney said, were jurisdiction questions, separation of power issues and an inconvenient travel schedule. Subpoenas were approved on seven other government employees, but not served because the state attorney general's office had agreed to cooperate, French said. But Attorney General Talis Colberg earlier this week reversed himself, saying the governor declined to participate and that Palin administration employees would not appear.

French said subpoenas will be issued for those seven people, ordering them to testify on Sept. 26.

Witnesses who refuse to testify can be found in contempt under Alaska law. But the full Legislature must be in session, which won't happen until January. That means witnesses can stonewall without penalty beyond the Nov. 4 election, lawmakers said.

One of them, Sen. Gene Therriault, opposed the subpoenas. He said Friday the investigation was intended to uncover whether the governor was justified in firing Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, and he believes she was.

today is a good day

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tucker Carlson is on MSNBC right now, showing that he's just as douchey as Tucker Bounds, insisting that Trooper Gate is a "made up story."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I wish the milk company scandal had legs.

Couscous on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tucker Carlson is on MSNBC right now, showing that he's just as douchey as Tucker Bounds, insisting that Trooper Gate is a "made up story."

Conclusion: people with the name Tucker are all douches.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wish the milk company scandal had legs.

Lot of time between october 10th and november 4th my friend.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has anyone seen this. Basically McCain has spent most of his career in govt keeping details about POWs under wraps. Could this become an issue, or is the weight of McCain's POW story just too heavy?

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You mean she called it a good that could be freely exchanged (Using a VERY direct word, or "verbage", to mean just that) and then barely claimed it would be kept here, all in the same statement, and that's not bad?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Honestly I haven't met one tucker who doesn't suck.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

this is really true

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It seems to me that transportation costs would make this only idealy true, not actually true.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »

this is really true

Tucker Max, further proof

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ebz123 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this. Basically McCain has spent most of his career in govt keeping details about POWs under wraps. Could this become an issue, or is the weight of McCain's POW story just too heavy?

I've seen it before, not going anywhere american people are more likely to remember he's a POW more then anything.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Whats this about a milk company?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously this needs the image.

538chart091908.png

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You mean she called it a good that could be freely exchanged (Using a VERY direct word, or "verbage", to mean just that) and then barely claimed it would be kept here, all in the same statement, and that's not bad?
    Well, it was a lie, yeah, but isn't that par for the course with her?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Reason for the 538 percent increase - Ohio and VA both went blue. Unless there's some new polls out which I haven't heard of, he's cranked the sensitivity up too high to the national tracking polls.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could this be true? Could the American people be starting to wake the fuck up?

Tach on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governorship_of_Sarah_Palin#Matanuska_Maid_Dairy
    In April 2007, the state Board of Agriculture and Conservation (BAC) approved a request for $600,000 for a review of the operating expenses of the Matanuska Maid Dairy, an unprofitable state-owned business, [64] and forwarded the request to the state legislature for funding. The Alaska Creamery Board, which oversaw the dairy and made the request, met in May and discussed privatizing or possibly closing the dairy.[65] It subsequently voted to close the dairy, and on June 13 rejected Palin's public request that it keep the dairy open, saying it stood by its decision to close the dairy plant as July 7.[66]

On June 18, Palin replaced the entire membership of the BAC,[67] which then installed itself as the Creamery Board,[68] and voted to keep the dairy open for for 90 days while reviewing options. On August 29, 2007, Palin announced that the business could not be made profitable and would be offered for sale. She said that the board could use the $600,000 approved by the legislature in June to help with the transition to a private operator.[69] In November, the dairy received the $600,000 legislative funding.[70]

On December 7, with a required minimum bid of $3.35 million for the dairy, no bids were received, and all dairy operations were scheduled to close later that month.[71] In August 2008, the Anchorage plant portion of the dairy was purchased for $1.5 million, the specified minimum bid. The new owners said that they planned to covert it to heated self-storage units. The sale of the company's bottle-making facility in Palmer was under consideration as of early September.[72]

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Seriously this needs the image.

538chart091908.png

No. That can't be true.

Fuck, you're jynxing it now.

Stop that! You're only making Rove madder.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Basically there was a public milk company in alaska going under, Palin installs one of her crony morons and infuses the company with more money. It loses a million more dollars and has to fold a year later anyway. During a fire sale of the companies assets, a group run by one of ted stevens cronies got to buy up a lot of equipment cheaper then it could have ever hoped.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.