Options

Mad Men

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I see it as in character. Don is great at his job, but when it comes to tough social issues, he withdraws.
    He ran from his adoptive parents, he wanted to run away again when Pete found out a little something of his past, and now when his wife gives him an ultimatum? Run, run, run away from actually having to deal with unpleasant truths about himself.

durax on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    durax wrote: »
    I see it as in character. Don is great at his job, but when it comes to tough social issues, he withdraws.
    He ran from his adoptive parents, he wanted to run away again when Pete found out a little something of his past, and now when his wife gives him an ultimatum? Run, run, run away from actually having to deal with unpleasant truths about himself.

They could probably deliver that a little better. When we went with the girl, it just seems like he went into fuck-everything-mode again.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Peggy's getting a little cocky. And betty is a fucking bitch. Can't wait for the season finale!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Usually season finales have some crazy ridiculous shit going on. All they did here was a whole bunch of truth telling.

In the context of mad men, though, that's some crazy ridiculous shit.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I loved this finale.
    real spoilers:
    I was on pins and needles when Peggy was telling Pete about the baby, although I didn't understand a lick of what she was talking about when she was going on about some part of you being there and being gone and blah blah blah...

As soon as Duck mentioned the loyalty clause thing in the beginning of the episode I was waiting for the smackdown moment when Don tells him he doesn't have a contract, and it was spectacular.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Usually season finales have some crazy ridiculous shit going on. All they did here was a whole bunch of truth telling.

In the context of mad men, though, that's some crazy ridiculous shit.

They did an incredible job at tying that into a larger narrative and dramatic feel given the background. How often do you get to tie catharsis among your leading characters with historic tension and nuclear armageddon?

moniker on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EDIT: Wow, that was so not the right thread.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »
    Yeah I loved this finale.
    real spoilers:
    I was on pins and needles when Peggy was telling Pete about the baby, although I didn't understand a lick of what she was talking about when she was going on about some part of you being there and being gone and blah blah blah...

As soon as Duck mentioned the loyalty clause thing in the beginning of the episode I was waiting for the smackdown moment when Don tells him he doesn't have a contract, and it was spectacular.

I think she was referring to
    What it's like to have a baby and give it away. All of the sudden there's a piece of you missing, and you don't know what it's fate is

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've decided to buy the blu-rays so i can watch through it again.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I watched through my first season blurays, and it was even better the second time around. Can't wait for season 2 to be released. Has anyone heard anything on the progress of season 3? Is it being filmed or what?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SEASON 3 PREMIERES AUGUST 16TH ON AMC FUCK YES

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ooh

i hope our new cable is set up by then

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    New episode tonight!

The season premiere last week was great. Who wants to come over and fix my air conditioning?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is the only show that makes me wish I had real cable.

I watched the first season on Netflix blu-ray, and it was fantastic. Two weeks ago, I went out on a Friday night and got cataclysmic-drunk. Knowing I'd spend the next 48 hours hung-the-fuck-over, I bought season 2 on the way home from lifesaving Vietnamese food. Watched the whole thing in one weekend. And it was good.

Anyway, is there a (LEGAL!) way to watch this online?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    People should watch Mad Men because Christina Hendricks is in it.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm368085248/nm0376716

desc on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My wife really likes this. I'd rather watch a documentary on advertising during that period, but can see MM is a good show.

Also, Cocktail Guide.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    season premiere was great.

Roger was great. I'm glad he's still around. "What did I miss" *awkward silence* "oh.... uh, well, this isn't easy"

other highlights
    - Peggy being a hardass!
    - don't call him moneypenny. He hates that!
    - Sally is getting into your tools like a little lesbian
    - Sal getting cockblocked by the fire alarm. Poor guy, the bellhop was pretty fine.
    - Don letting sal know, in coded message 'Look I don't care what you do on your own time, but you better stay in the closet.' Limit your exposure!
    - Pete is such a god damn wienie

I thought it was a strong premiere. It left me wanting more of just about everything. I like the new british guy and his typi- ahem right arm. My main question, which I hope gets answered tonight, is where's duck? Promoted out of the office, or did he get the axe? There wasn't a single mention of him.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    My wife really likes this. I'd rather watch a documentary on advertising during that period, but can see MM is a good show.

Also, Cocktail Guide.

I made gin and vodka martinis for the premiere. I don't know how they had 3 martini lunches, 3 martinis made me forget the rest of the evening.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also, Cocktail Guide.

I made gin and vodka martinis for the premiere. I don't know how they had 3 martini lunches, 3 martinis made me forget the rest of the evening.

Well, all the smoking they did soak up some of the booze. Has the ABV of liquor changed much in recent history?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    how does smoking help with alcohol?

also I am guess a life time of alcoholism helps them hold their liquor

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    how does smoking help with alcohol?

also I am guess a life time of alcoholism helps them hold their liquor

Nicotine is a stimulent that helps counteract the depressant effects of alcohol.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    isn't that why people say coffee helps with alcohol, when it doesnt?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It does, just not as much as people would think. The effect is much more extreme with cocaine than with cigarettes or coffee.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    it will make you more awake but it won't remove any alcohol from your blood. You won't get any less drunk.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure innebriation is seperate from the depressant effects.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also, Cocktail Guide.

There's only one way to get good at working through 3 martini lunches. Constant practice.

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    desc wrote: »

Also, Cocktail Guide.

There's only one way to get good at working through 3 martini lunches. Constant practice.

They worked hard, they played hard, and they died at 60 looking like they were 102.

moniker on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It does, just not as much as people would think. The effect is much more extreme with cocaine than with cigarettes or coffee.
    Cocaine, yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The heat is on! Dump your stuff in the toilet!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Peggy!?

:winky:

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    don draper in sunglasses

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I completely missed this watching (I didn't look that closely at the invitation), but a review of the episode I read pointed out that the date of the wedding of Roger's daughter was the day after JFK's assassination.

Oh, and "Patio"? Really, Pepsi?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one around who gets kind of blood-boiling mad about Penn Station?

I mean, old railway stations are awesome. The first time I went to Grand Central I was so giddy with the beauty of it that I wanted to hug all the businessmen headed for Connecticut.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Oh, and "Patio"? Really, Pepsi?

It apparently was only around for a year, then became Diet Pepsi.

Wonder if Sterling Cooper handled the advertising for Madison Cube Garden too?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    celandine wrote: »

I mean, old railway stations are awesome. The first time I went to Grand Central I was so giddy with the beauty of it that I wanted to hug all the businessmen headed for Connecticut.

You're such a communist

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not a commie, I just like pretty things!

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    celandine wrote: »

Seeing how it happened 50 years ago, no I just get disappointed. That we still haven't learned the lesson and are going to asplode other landmark buildings in the present is far more enraging.

moniker on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I continue to love this show.
    That blackface bit caught me off guard, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    I continue to love this show.
    That blackface bit caught me off guard, though.

It's why I love the show. They aren't afraid to burn through the nostalgia that idealized a time that was really fucked up.

moniker on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Last night's episode upended a whole bunch of stuff. It wasn't landmark television or anything, but it did what Mad Men seems to do best: very quietly and calmly destroy important things.

There were like 4 moments in the show where I just sorta recoiled at how inappropriate people were being treated. And I hate the word "inappropriate" especially when it's used in the way I just used it. It seems a snotty, stuck-up way of describing things. And yet, there was a lot of shockingly inappropriate moments being thrown at these characters, and they all just sorta sat there and took them.

And I'm coming to loathe/love any moment where Sal is onscreen, because this year he seems to be almost oblivious to how he's carrying himself. I mean, it sucked to watch him be so careful about the lie, to tend to it and care for it like a fastidious gardener, but this season, he's slipping so hard and he doesn't even have a clue.

Fatboy Roberts on