Options

Mad Men

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And I'm coming to loathe/love any moment where Sal is onscreen, because this year he seems to be almost oblivious to how he's carrying himself. I mean, it sucked to watch him be so careful about the lie, to tend to it and care for it like a fastidious gardener, but this season, he's slipping so hard and he doesn't even have a clue.

The look on his wife's face as he acted out the commercial was painful to watch.

As were all the scenes of the ad men circling around that poor stupid Jai alai guy like sharks smelling blood in the water. More so knowing that, of course, Jai alai isn't going to be taking the US by storm...

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And I'm coming to loathe/love any moment where Sal is onscreen, because this year he seems to be almost oblivious to how he's carrying himself. I mean, it sucked to watch him be so careful about the lie, to tend to it and care for it like a fastidious gardener, but this season, he's slipping so hard and he doesn't even have a clue.

The look on his wife's face as he acted out the commercial was painful to watch.

As were all the scenes of the ad men circling around that poor stupid Jai alai guy like sharks smelling blood in the water. More so knowing that, of course, Jai alai isn't going to be taking the US by storm...

they were both great scenes

christ though betty is a godawful mother

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes, she's a terrible mother. She flat out told her father she still thinks of herself as a little girl - it's no wonder she doesn't know how to raise her children. And Sally Draper is going to slowly murder that woman over the next 10-15 years. It's going to be merciless and cruel, and it's going to be totally deserved.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Christina Hendricks ok my contribution has been made

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't catch last night's episode, but this season has been exceptionally boring. Did it pick up last night?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    boring? have we been watching the same show?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't catch last night's episode, but this season has been exceptionally boring.

o_O

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Damn, first Joan and now Sal? I hoping one or both are temporary (though Sal's chances of coming seem to be almost nil).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Damn, first Joan and now Sal? I hoping one or both are temporary (though Sal's chances of coming seem to be almost nil).

now that I think about it, that last shot of Sal seemed to be his epilogue. I could be wrong, but it seemed like a 'this is what the future holds for this character' moment

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

now that I think about it, that last shot of Sal seemed to be his epilogue. I could be wrong, but it seemed like a 'this is what the future holds for this character' moment
    It struck me more as him breaking down and succumbing to his urges. He looked to be in Central Park at a 'bath house' or whatever they called those things back then (notice the leather guy in the background) since he just couldn't take it. He did what was right and still got fucked over. Plus the 'you people' line was devastating. Not that I expected Don to be open minded.

I'm sure this won't be the last we see of him, though. I mean, Duck has come back and he was minor compared to Sal. Hell, they managed to bring Joan back in even if just for one scene.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bath houses ended up being literal bath houses where skeezy gay dudes would have unprotected sex in steam rooms

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And Central Park has bathrooms in parts of it. Bathrooms which were used by gay men for flings.

moniker on
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy Shit! Someone give Jon Hamm and January Jones their Emmys right now!

Nine on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goddammit, I really want to see this episode now.

Why hasn't iTunes released it yet? :x

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Moment of the season -
    ...and who are you supposed to be?

Also, Roger was on fire tonight with the quotable lines.

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DasBoot wrote: »
    Moment of the season -

it felt a bit over done to me, but it was still good.

seriously, though. amazing moments this week.

Evander on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DasBoot wrote: »
    Moment of the season -

A little on-the-nose for me.

Also, Joan is the best.

MrMister on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok Don's wife is annoying the hell out of me in this scene.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just finished the first season, liked it a lot. I have two questions, spoilered just in case.
    Why were they rooting for Nixon to win?

How did Peggy not realise she was pregnant?

pots+pans on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Just finished the first season, liked it a lot. I have two questions, spoilered just in case.

It's been a while, so I may be wrong-
    But wasn't Nixon or some kind of GOP office their client?

And for Peggy, the power of denial!

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Believe it or not, it does happen in real life. It's usually a combination of rapid weight gain and the woman being on birth control or some other medication that suppresses periods (both of which applied to Peggy - she got birth control after having sex with Pete).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yes, Nixon was their client. Plus they're all most likely Republicans anyway. It's the 60's those still existed in the North East back then.

Anyone else find Don's 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' advice to the brother with epilepsy doubly hilarious? Not just because the dude can't exactly control having a seizure or not, but...I mean I can't think of anything less bootstrappy than stealing another man's identity and benefiting from it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Because they're all pretty conservative people.

and there are documented cases of people not being aware they were pregnant until the baby starts coming out

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Yes, Nixon was their client. Plus they're all most likely Republicans anyway. It's the 60's those still existed in the North East back then.

Anyone else find Don's 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' advice to the brother with epilepsy doubly hilarious? Not just because the dude can't exactly control having a seizure or not, but...I mean I can't think of anything less bootstrappy than stealing another man's identity and benefiting from it.

don's a hypocritical guy

He admires Peggy's spirit and determination but despises when his wife shows independence
    he judges Sal for his behavior when he himself is a philanderer. He also thinks Roger is a fool for marrying a younger woman when don is constantly going after other women him self.
    And he surely wouldn't put up with an affair of Betty's the way Betty has to with his.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    About Salvatore Romano:
    Anyone else bummed out that he got fired? He was one of my favorite characters. I hope he makes a reappearance.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QN4NyD6l8A

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I love his look of desperation

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, the season 3 finale of this show was on tonight, and it was amazing!
    They rebooted the show!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    They rebooted the show!
    That depends on how much of a time jump they make between seasons. If this magically becomes 1965, then yeah. If it becomes next Tuesday...well then this will lead to some interesting plot points.

moniker on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They rebooted the show!
    That depends on how much of a time jump they make between seasons. If this magically becomes 1965, then yeah. If it becomes next Tuesday...well then this will lead to some interesting plot points.
    I'm really hoping that they don't do a time jump between this season - I want to see the Sterling Cooper Draper Price growing pains.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    They rebooted the show!
    I'm really hoping that they don't do a time jump between this season - I want to see the Sterling Cooper Draper Price growing pains.

Same, and my bet would be that they won't. I'm looking forward to next year.

moniker on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit that was awesome.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, incredible season finale. I hope there isn't a big time jump, either.

Any chance that
    Sal will find his way to Sterling Cooper Draper Price? They brought the cigarette account with them, which would be a problem.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Awesome episode - totally looking forward to next season even more now.

I wish they had built up to it a bit more. The whole thing felt very sudden and abrupt - it basically all happened in this episode. It would have been interesting to see the situation build up and boil over over the course of 3 or 4 episodes.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Awesome episode - totally looking forward to next season even more now.

I wish they had built up to it a bit more. The whole thing felt very sudden and abrupt - it basically all happened in this episode. It would have been interesting to see the situation build up and boil over over the course of 3 or 4 episodes.

I'm glad the show ended on a high note, because this whole season has felt stretched out, slow, and uninteresting. I look forward to seeing the direction it heads in next season, and I'm glad the British guy is sticking around.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck yeah Joan.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For some reason the end of the episode had me thinking
    Don Draper Paper Company

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

don's a hypocritical guy

He admires Peggy's spirit and determination but despises when his wife shows independence
    he judges Sal for his behavior when he himself is a philanderer. He also thinks Roger is a fool for marrying a younger woman when don is constantly going after other women him self.
    And he surely wouldn't put up with an affair of Betty's the way Betty has to with his.

Don's a huge hypocrite, and I think it's awesome, in fact, that he married a smart, independent woman (Betty), then broke her down into a set of neuroses over the course of their marriage, and started conducting countless affairs with smart, independent women. He doesn't even seem to be aware of what he's doing.

But as to the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" thing, I don't think he's a hypocrite. Don Draper the First was a great guy, but he was nothing like our Don Draper. He didn't steal the original Draper's life, just his name. And he used that name as an opportunity to invent a new person, a person who was unlike either the original Draper or Dick Whitman.

That's pretty impressive, and I think he deserves credit for that.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That was amazing. It was a pretty ballsy move from a writer's perspective.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry but since when has Betty been independent? She's the biggest Daddy's girl on Television, and a bitch to boot. I'm not defending Draper's actions but c'mon now.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    I'm sorry but since when has Betty been independent? She's the biggest Daddy's girl on Television, and a bitch to boot. I'm not defending Draper's actions but c'mon now.

To be fair, I haven't seen much of the earlier seasons, but yeah--Betty seems like she's a spoiled east-coast daddy's girl sorority princess. Which is not to say that Don's wandering eye was justified, but rather, that she's pretty awful. Look at how she treats her kids, christ.

MrMister on