As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GEARS OF WAR 2

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Normally game merchandise doesn't interest me much, but that lancer is just... wow. 130 bucks may be a steep price (but hey, you get the game for free with a pre-order!), but damn that thing looks nice. Charging people in the UK 130 English fun-bucks is just ridiculous, though. Retailers do realize that the lancer should actually cost half that price, right? In terms of equivalent cash, 130 dollars would be feasible (if I had that to throw around anytime soon), but twice that for a game and a functionless piece of plastic painted gold because of stupid laws?

What a ripoff.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Normally game merchandise doesn't interest me much, but that lancer is just... wow. 130 bucks may be a steep price (but hey, you get the game for free with a pre-order!), but damn that thing looks nice. Charging people in the UK 130 English fun-bucks is just ridiculous, though. Retailers do realize that the lancer should actually cost half that price, right? In terms of equivalent cash, 130 dollars would be feasible (if I had that to throw around anytime soon), but twice that for a game and a functionless piece of plastic painted gold because of stupid laws?

What a ripoff.

If it didn't cost £130, I'd seriously consider a job-lot of Citadel paints and a weekend of learning to expertly deploy them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

What a ripoff.

If it didn't cost £130, I'd seriously consider a job-lot of Citadel paints and a weekend of learning to expertly deploy them.

What are the chances of being able to preorder it in the US for half the price and get it shipped to you? I dunno about the region locking for the 360, but shaving off $130/£65 would actually be enough of an incentive to bother with importing for once.

If game devs want to stop their games getting pirated so much, a good way to start would be pushing to get rid of this region locking crap and just price the game accordingly for the region. I can pretty much guarantee that if gaming cost twice as much as I'm used to here in the US, there's no way I could justify the hobby. Just the idea that the people overseas have to pay only slightly less for just the game than I would for the lancer + game combo pisses me off.

Makes me wish I had some sort of machine gun/chainsaw hybrid to wreak my righteous vengeance.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who the fuck is Skorge?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so very tempted to get the Lancer from Amazon

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I only wonder if this will have more or less fist bumps per hour (Fb/H) than Army of Two.

In fact, I think the scale by which it's reviewed should be an aggregate of Fb/H and Cs/C (average number of chainsaws wielded per character). I've yet to see tri-wielded chainsaws, Cliff. Get on it. You have a quota to fill.

Monger on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Who the fuck is Skorge?

The skinny Predator guy with dreads and a Chainsaw staff ( Oh yes ) who is replacing general Raam as the key figure in the Locust attack.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Who the fuck is Skorge?

Remember the last boss from the first game? I think that guy served as a sort of general. Skorge looks to be either serving a similar or superior role. Except instead of being a tank, he's an underground ninja with double-ended chainsaw staff.

So I've been reading up on the stuff that Gears of War 2 has to offer. Did you guys know that this game looks obscenely awesome? It comes out around the time that Left 4 Dead comes out and now I'm pissed because these two games will be competing for attention. That's just not right.

I seriously hope that they throw in a rocket-propelled chainsaw launcher. Even as a gag weapon you have to unlock, I can think of no game in which it would be more appropriate.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i am a consumer whore

buying my limited edition chainsaw game

wearing my cog tags

driving my centaur tank RV

clutching my lancer

wistfully looking at my cole figurine

all the while hoping that dizzy gets a figurine too

Nuzak on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread needs more links to youtube with adds featuring coletrain you know which ones. :winky:

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    People got so angry when you chainsawed them in multiplayer in the original.

Don't you know your tears fuel me?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only thing I'm worried about Gears 2 is for its multiplayer.

It just doesn't seem so pure anymore with the new additions to it. It might just turn out really well, but Gears 1 had a multiplayer mode that seemed like it was latched on towards the end of the development cycle; with the bad network code which resulted in major host advantage for example. Yet despite all of its shortcomings, Gears 1 had a multiplayer that was pure and fun. There was something going for it. It seemed like an accident which clicked very well.

I might not make sense here, but in short, I have high expectations for Gears 2, and I don't want to be left disappointed.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ew, gears of wars MP could be fun, but there were way too many 1-hit kills, and it wasn't really responsive enough to defend against them. I hope it's improved.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ew, gears of wars MP could be fun, but there were way too many 1-hit kills, and it wasn't really responsive enough to defend against them. I hope it's improved.
    It was the one-hit kills that made the game really awesome for me. The emphasis on who got the shot first was so great, and the CQB was really fast, with people going in and out of roadie runs to fire off shots. It all came to skill, from what I've played.

But that said, I can understand why Gears MP doesn't click with everyone; it's really different. I like it, but I know why people wouldn't.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inzigna wrote: »
    It was the one-hit kills that made the game really awesome for me. The emphasis on who got the shot first was so great, and the CQB was really fast, with people going in and out of roadie runs to fire off shots. It all came to skill, from what I've played.

But that said, I can understand why Gears MP doesn't click with everyone; it's really different. I like it, but I know why people wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, it's wasn't awful. Just any time I got one-hit killed it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Don't get me wrong, it's wasn't awful. Just any time I got one-hit killed it left a really bad taste in my mouth.
    I understand, it's the same reason why I don't get CS or DotA. We all enjoy games for different reasons.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread needs more links to youtube with adds featuring coletrain you know which ones. :winky:
    Such as...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I understand, it's the same reason why I don't get CS or DotA. We all enjoy games for different reasons.

Fair does.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    Such as...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
    Best commercials ever. Thank you good sir.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It just doesn't seem so pure anymore with the new additions to it. It might just turn out really well, but Gears 1 had a multiplayer mode that seemed like it was latched on towards the end of the development cycle; with the bad network code which resulted in major host advantage for example. Yet despite all of its shortcomings, Gears 1 had a multiplayer that was pure and fun. There was something going for it. It seemed like an accident which clicked very well.

I might not make sense here, but in short, I have high expectations for Gears 2, and I don't want to be left disappointed.

What are the big changes other than getting rid of the obnoxious host-advantage? I don't really see any MP previews in the OP, but all I remember for the deathmatch modes was that it'd be less laggy and again no host-advantage.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    metaghost wrote: »

What are the big changes other than getting rid of the obnoxious host-advantage? I don't really see any MP previews in the OP, but all I remember for the deathmatch modes was that it'd be less laggy and again no host-advantage.

GoW had some amazing MP, but it also had some insane flaws.
    It wasn't the one hit kills that got me, it was the inconsistency of the gameplay.
    Problems with GoW1:
    1. Lancer is practically useless, even after the update. Fixed in gears2 with stopping power. I don't get how people can defend the run up and SHOTGUN spam of the first game. This is a game about cover, you should be rewarded for utilizing it, and punished for running in the open.
    2. Host bullshit/Latency bullshit. No need to elaborate, every gears player knows this is a joke. Also hopefully fixed.
    3. Active Down with sniper, taken out for a reason. Probably takes even less skill than the mad shotgun orgy spam.
    4. Melee. The network code was never well done so things like the pistol and stickies had unforseen exploits due to the shit lag.

The only addition I am really worried about is the addition of the smoke grenade knock down. It seems pretty powerful, and the fact that players are going to place it like a mine could end up sucking. Everything in gears is massive though, so I am sure it will be easy to spot.

I am so glad to see the run and gun and shotgun spam gameplay of the first game leave. Good riddance, this was never meant to be how the game was to be played. Gear's players who defend it just blow my mind. Why not go roll some dice instead, the chances are just as random.

Smashism on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know what everyone is talking about -- I used the Lancer almost exclusively (when I wasn't sniping, I was laying down cover fire), and I killed people all the goddamn time with it.

It was dangerous and mid-range, and deadly up close, since you can lay into them or just flip the giggle switch on the chainsaw and slice them in half.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found the chainsaw to be risky to use since all it takes is one bullet to be stunned and then your opponent can finish you off.

I'm more concerned about the meatshield to be honest, I wouldn't like to be the unlucky dude who gets held hostage and the guy just obliterates everyone in your team and you can't do shit D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »
    I don't know what everyone is talking about -- I used the Lancer almost exclusively (when I wasn't sniping, I was laying down cover fire), and I killed people all the goddamn time with it.

It was dangerous and mid-range, and deadly up close, since you can lay into them or just flip the giggle switch on the chainsaw and slice them in half.

People talked mad shit on me because pretty much it was the only weapon I used also.
    I might have over exaggerated slightly. After the update the lancer did become viable, but when the assault rifle in a game is more situational than a shotgun, something is broken.

I could never pinpoint what my major gripe with the Lancer compared to every other weapon was. Then GoW2 announced stopping power and I finally realized what that missing thing was. The lancer will just be way more reliable now. <3

Smashism on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    I am so glad to see the run and gun and shotgun spam gameplay of the first game leave. Good riddance, this was never meant to be how the game was to be played. Gear's players who defend it just blow my mind. Why not go roll some dice instead, the chances are just as random.

Thank you sir, for being a voice of reason in a sea of insanity.

The run, then roll and shotgun combo pissed me off somthing fierce. And players would defend it all the time. I remember an interview someone had with Cliffy B, and they asked him what was the one thing he noticed about Gears MP. He said it was people shotgunning each other, and how that is not how he meant the game to be played. It was supposed to be a run and gun shooter where you had to use cover and flank people.

That is why I can't wait till Gears 2 with that new stopping power. Because these shotgunners are going to bitch and moan soooooo fucking much, it is going to be excellent.

I mean, some of them would bitch and moan if you used the lancer in Gears 1.

So yeah, the people who just tried to run up to you and shotgun you in the face are going to have to learn how to play the damn game.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm just glad because the Lancer was always my best(and favorite weapon). I knew it was underpowered, but it was always satisfying when you managed to mow down someone charging right at you with the Shotty.

Edit: Wait...no more downs with the Active reload sniper. Thank god, I was so tired of people who would just down players over and over with the sniper without taking a kill shot.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about the meatshield to be honest, I wouldn't like to be the unlucky dude who gets held hostage and the guy just obliterates everyone in your team and you can't do shit D:

To me, that sounds both awesome and hilarious.

"Somebody saaave meee!"

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

"Somebody saaave meee!"

Sad thing is...if you get caught...most XBL teammates will probably just kill you.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    GoW was probably my favorite online game for the 360 with only the first GRAW coming close to it. I'm super-pumped for GoW2!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

"Somebody saaave meee!"

Sad thing is...if you get caught...most XBL teammates will probably just kill you.

Shoot the hostage.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

"Somebody saaave meee!"

Shoot the hostage.

cap010.jpg

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found the chainsaw to be risky to use since all it takes is one bullet to be stunned and then your opponent can finish you off.

I think they said in some MP video a while ago that when you get taken hostage you act as if you died and go back into the respawn queue. Whether or not that means you can spawn and potentially kill the guy holding your corpse (assuming respawns are on at all), I do not know.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, one thing about Gears of War that I have a mixed opinion on is cover. On one hand, it taught people that using cover good, run 'n' gun bad.

On the other hand it taught developers "HOLY SHIT GEARS OF WAR SOLD WELL. IT MUST'VE BEEN THE COVER SYSTEM" and now we have a billion games with third person cover systems. The only problem is most of them are first person shooters where the out-of-head camera is kind of jarring.

They should really start working on some kind of first person cover system. Snaps you into cover but you have to pop your head up to see, and blind-firing would really be blind firing.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SpazMuffin wrote: »

I think they said in some MP video a while ago that when you get taken hostage you act as if you died and go back into the respawn queue. Whether or not that means you can spawn and potentially kill the guy holding your corpse (assuming respawns are on at all), I do not know.

aw man

i was hoping if you manage to shoot the guy in the back and kill him he drops the hostage and you can revive them

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know, one thing about Gears of War that I have a mixed opinion on is cover. On one hand, it taught people that using cover good, run 'n' gun bad.

On the other hand it taught developers "HOLY SHIT GEARS OF WAR SOLD WELL. IT MUST'VE BEEN THE COVER SYSTEM" and now we have a billion games with third person cover systems. The only problem is most of them are first person shooters where the out-of-head camera is kind of jarring.

They should really start working on some kind of first person cover system. Snaps you into cover but you have to pop your head up to see, and blind-firing would really be blind firing.

Killzone 2.

edit: Hahahaha, awesome first post.

Smashism on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

Killzone 2.

edit: Hahahaha, awesome first post.

not relying on that coming out ever

lolsony.jpg

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Everyone should look at RB6: Vegas to see how FPS cover should be done.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Everyone should look at RB6: Vegas to see how FPS cover should be done.

Still does the 'pop into 3rd person when covering' like LFG was advocating against. I think a better example may be GRAW, where you could play either 1st or 3rd person and could take cover. But its been so long since I've played I don't remember too clearly.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Have we mentioned the day-one downloadable stuff? Epic are sticking a code in with every retail copy of the game, that allows you to download 5 extra maps over Live.

Sounds like a pretty smart way to encourage people to buy a new copy over pre-owned.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Have we mentioned the day-one downloadable stuff? Epic are sticking a code in with every retail copy of the game, that allows you to download 5 extra maps over Live.

Sounds like a pretty smart way to encourage people to buy a new copy over pre-owned.
    Yep, I think its in the OP. Noone's discussing it actively though.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.