As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

1424344454648»

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That bump was the cruelest thing :P

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    So it's been a long time since I talked about Alan wake, all the dead space 3 talk made me yearn for more Alan wake.. Here's hoping for announcement at E3.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I still need to beat this game. Tore through it over a weekend when I was out of town for work, and got to the last chapter. Came home and never played it again. I loved it, just forgot about it.

• Options
    Don't forget that ever so important DLC, or just beat the first game on nightmare mode, it's a different (better) experience.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am honestly way way more bummed than I ever thought I'd be. This video from Sam Lake just absolutely depresses the shit out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qm8PP-Ic240

The good news, I guess, is that the humble bundle is amazing. I don't even have a PC and I paid $25 just for the extras, which are:

Early Alan Wake Demos - demos of the early versions of the game.
    Harry Garrett Show - Full clip of the show Alan was watching in the game - the one where he was the guest discussing his book. It's pretty great to see it in full quality.
    Making of Videos - 2GBs of behind the scenes videos.
    Writer in the Cabin Clips - The clips seen on the TVs throughout the game, in full quality.
    Night Springs Episodes - 4GBs of full quality videos of every Night Springs episode you could find in the game.
    Balance Slays The Demon Music Video - Music Video for the song from Alan Wake's American Nightmare
    Alan Wake: The Movie - A full playthrough of the game, from the designers, where Alan's was controlled in a cinematic fashion to really make it as much of a movie as possible.
    All Concept Art and Production Photos - Art from the game, along with photos of the real locations and actors used in the making of the game.
    Alan Wake Score Sheet Music - This is super cool.
    Alan Wake Screenplays - The Screenplays for Alan Wake and American Nightmare.
    Alan Wake Visual Identity Guidelines - I have no idea what this is, haven't opened it yet.
    The Alan Wake Files Book - I have this book. You guys may, I think it's the one that came with the Collectors Edition. Still, this is iPad/Kindle compatible (i assume)
    Alan Wake Wallpapers - 50MB's worth of wallpaper
    Cardboard Cutouts - Head off to Kinko's and print off your own full-size Alan Wake cardboard cutout, just like Barry had.
    Night Springs Comic Book - A comic
    Psycho Thriller Comic Book - Another comic

I am so bummed. So so bummed. I bet this is what it would have felt like when Twin Peaks ended, had I experienced that live.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I say this as massive massive Alan Wake fan, I'm ok as long as remedy is making games. I would have loved Aan Wake 2, but alas it was not meant to be, maybe somebody can write a book/comic book sequel

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So, shall we take American Nightmare to be the ending of Alan Wake's journey through the night?

Because I'm okay with that.

Alan got a happy ending. He can still keep fighting the Dark. He's out and ready to kick ass and take names.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    What I'm taking from this is that they want to make more Wake, but just can't right now. So I'm going to get right behind this new thing (not least because it sounds super awesome, but I love all of Remedy's work anyway) and hope that it takes off, allowing them to go back to Wake in the future. It ain't doom!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I just hope the IP doesn't get butchered the way Max Payne did.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    They likely own Wake themselves, so there's no danger of that.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    darleysam wrote: »
    They likely own Wake themselves, so there's no danger of that.
    Well, they owned Max Payne, too. For or during the development of the sequel, they sold the rights - funds, which probably helped them in the long term (I remember it being a significant figure, but no substantiation, no fact).

Still, Alan Wake is something that seems closer to Lake's heart than Payne, it's, after all, more mature and more developed.
    It's funny to see that video after catching up on the last two pages were people wrote "I'm so happy [Alan Wake] exists that I overlook its flaws", as I feel the same. I also don't see the business rationale; it's a "cult classic" (a bit of hyperbole, I guess), it has established itself over time, but it has established itself. All creative endeavours are risks, but I would guess that Quantum Break and an Alan Wake sequel would be similar risk levels, at worst.

I really think Alan Wake is a very singular experience and story. There is definitely subtext to it, which sadly enough is something extraordinary in game stories. What's more important is that its universe and its rules are infinitely strange, that one could develop a great mythos around it. I'm gonna check out that blog and probably buy that bundle for the scripts alone (I already own the Xbox Collector's Edition as well as the game on Steam).

It's awesome that Microsoft believes in Remedy - I think that's a strange gesture of kindness in this industry, so I agree with the sentiment to be happy Remedy's still making games. I guess hoping for more "fairness" might be considered greedy, so there.

Thanks for pointing out all the stuff, though, I'm sure I'd have missed it otherwise.

EDIT: Jesus fucking Christ, I may be low on funds right now, but upon seeing that the average purchase on the Humble Bundle is shy above 2$ had me pay more than originally planned.

mnihil on
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean that is a STRANGE video, so part of me really wants to hold out hope that more Wake is sooner than I think. That somehow this Quantum Break thing will morph into part of the Alan Wake world.

I mean, it doesn't feel like the end, but it feels like I'm in for the sort of tormented hell that I've only heard about from people waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2 have been in. I've never been this big a fan of something that I felt was so close to a sequel for so long, to have it's creator just come out and say no - then nail a box shut and cart it away with everything I love inside.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    As disappointed as I am, I gotta give Lake props for sitting down in front of a camera and saying "look, here's how it is"

Edit: Remedy just tweeted Lake is doing an AMA on Reddit at ~11 AM PST.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    President Evil on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Stop it. Don't do this to me.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Sam Lake himself said he would love to see an Alan Wake 2. I'm sure there are some things that need to happen before we see this game, but I have my fingers crossed. Hopefully Quantum Break does really well and the move right into Alan Wake 2!

I have already played Alan Wake's American Nightmare once it became backwards-compatible on the Xbox One and am anxiously waiting for Alan Wake to be available too. With Quantum Break coming out in less than six weeks, an announcement for Alan Wake 2 might make my head explode...with joy. :)

• Options
    The only game that would get me to buy an Xbox one.

(or better PC)

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I’m poking the corpse of this thread with a stick because we might be getting an Alan Wake tv show in the near future with Sam Lake as an executive producer. https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/alan-wake-tv-show-1202938003/

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I’m poking the corpse of this thread with a stick because we might be getting an Alan Wake tv show in the near future with Sam Lake as an executive producer. https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/alan-wake-tv-show-1202938003/

This is great news! Alan Wake could make a great show... I have high hopes.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Their last bit of live-action content was excellent. Really hoping this one makes it out of pre-production.

https://youtu.be/boyGPvfA5B4