As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

POGS

• Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I kind of wanted to play with them too.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Get yourself the bigger ones, then.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anything popular eventually got banned at our school. POGs, pokemon card, football stickers, you name it. I think it was mainly because whenever somebody dropped their stuff accidentally it was just a mad scramble. I remember seeing many a kid go from pure joy to clinically depressed in a heartbeat as they made the mistake of not keeping a strong enough grip on their stuff. We were like vultures.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nothing was banned at my High School. The faculty just let the students deal with the loss and getting stuff back.

It was pretty sweet.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Executive decision!

This thread is now about:

2123970417_e27fc77bbe.jpg

The best goddamn juice that didn't come out of Chico's dick that you will ever drink.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm not much of a juicer.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a big fan of gin and juice

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you do seem fairly laid back.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not much of a juicer.

titan_juicer.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thats makes little to no sense to me.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know about anyone else, but in my school pogs were for the kids to slow to understand how to play Magic: The Gathering.

What's that? This game involves strategy and math? Whoaaaa, take it easy there Einstein. Let's not get out of control. I'm gonna go throw a metal chunk at pieces of cardboard.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My metal chunk can beat you and your cards up any day of the week.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Magic cards are for nerds and dweebs. All the cool kids roll with POGS. 8-)

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow man... looking back on it all I am ashamed to say I had at least 1000 POGs back in my day. Jeez man all that money wasted on cardboard when I could've purchased Game Boy games or something.

I think I still have mine somewhere around here... along with my kick-ass metal ninja star Slammer and my D&D standard issue Slammer.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    OsoniOsoni Master of Magic MyrrorRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit, pogs! I remember we had names for certain types of pogs, based on the pictures they had. Anything with a skull symbol was dubbed "Poison," and any pog with an 8-ball was identified as such. There were others, but I don't remember what they were. The very best pogs had a combination, like a skull inside an 8-ball. It was a "Poison 8-Ball," and it was coveted above all other pogs.
    Was this just a local thing or did everyone categorize their pogs like that?

Osoni on
    masterofmagicsig.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Pogs were the NASCAR of grade school games.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Osoni wrote: »
    Holy shit, pogs! I remember we had names for certain types of pogs, based on the pictures they had. Anything with a skull symbol was dubbed "Poison," and any pog with an 8-ball was identified as such. There were others, but I don't remember what they were. The very best pogs had a combination, like a skull inside an 8-ball. It was a "Poison 8-Ball," and it was coveted above all other pogs.
    Was this just a local thing or did everyone categorize their pogs like that?

Yeah my school did that. Although our poison pogs had to say poison on them.

I kept all of my poison and 8 ball pogs in these plastic pog holders in a binder. In fact I still have it somewhere I think

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the slammers were really good weapons when thrown

tugga on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This line from the POG wiki:
    Social commentators have generally dismissed the game of pogs as vapid and entirely menial. In particular, experts have pointed out that the game offers almost no opportunity for a child to develop strategic, social, or even motor skills.

Priceless.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Motor skills? Stacking and Slamming shit.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not to mention learning how to elbow other kids in the face during a scramble.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If your plastic tube is filled with slammers, you can swing it wildly.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I grew up too late for pogs because I have little to no idea what you guys are talking about

I mean, I see what they are from the picture

but what do you do with them

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you stacked a certain amount of pogs upside down and then you had a heavier metal/rubber pog called a slammer

you threw your slammer down on the stack of pogs and whichever ones flipped over you kept

the whoever had the most pogs at the end of the match won

its kind of like a 90s version of jacks

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh, that's weird

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you mean fucking awesome

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i played with crazy bones a lot in elementary school

anyone else remember crazy bones?

there was this time a kid i knew cried his eyes out during recess because he lost his little coffin carrying case.

it was kind of sad, but mostly just a little pathetic.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    god dammit I just got home to this thread and of course somebody's already said "alf is back in pog form" so now I have nothing to say about pogs

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I lost at least one friend as a child due to yu-gi-oh cards

he wasn't that great of a friend, and I met him again this year and he's turned out to be a douchebag

but still

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    we used to have Yu Gi Oh tournaments on the sidewalk like 8 years ago

it was so much fun

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yu-gi-oh is actually a pretty fun card game (or at least it was a while ago, I dunno about now)

I have this old gba game I bust out and play sometimes and it is pretty fun because fuck paying for packs and packs of cards

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    god dammit I just got home to this thread and of course somebody's already said "alf is back in pog form" so now I have nothing to say about pogs

I don't believe it has been said that POG (pog pog, pog) is the word, you could have said that.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    the slammers were really good weapons when thrown

I know some of them had little nipples on the bottom so you could spin them. I'm not sure why though.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2008

there was this time a kid i knew cried his eyes out during recess because he lost his little coffin carrying case.

Crazy Bones? What sort of gay thing is that?

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Regarding pogs: I remember those damn commercials. (POG. POG. THE GAAAAAAAAME!!!). Also, one time my dad got me a bunch from like the 50's or something he found somewhere. Apparently they're that old.

About Crazy Bones: They were these little plastic figurines of bones....that looked like creatures, with faces and names.....The rare ones were Jaws and Eggie, and there were these giant ones, too. And gold ones. They were banned pretty damn fast at my school. EVERYONE had them stolen. Also there was a game but damned if I remember how it worked. It was something simple, in the pog school of "throw shit at things."

Regarding Yugioh: That was after my time. But my brother was too lazy to learn the rules, and so made me read the manual, and then teach it back to him. So I knew how to play something I had no interest in.

Regarding Pokemon Cards, something that WAS in my time: I remember when they were banned. So everyone switched to Digimon cards. And then the damn teachers were jerks and didn't realize it was a different game, and thought we were being smartasses. Morons.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have 5 times more Pokemon cards than Yu Gi Oh because I was so much better at Pokemon than Yu Gi Oh

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Crazy Bones? What sort of gay thing is that?

They were these little plastic figurines that you lined up like red rover I think. You'd take turns flicking them at the other guy's line and which ever ones you successfully knocked over you got to keep.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Only the poor kids had Digimon cards.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hey guys remember mighty max

those things were great

oh, nostalgia

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my friends all used to play magic the gathering in third grade

they were banned after a while though because of the art, i remember my friend told me that the mindrot card gave him nightmares or something.

that was the same kid who put card protectors on every single card he had.

his deck was ridiculously gigantic and he always dropped them when he tried to shuffle them.

Grim Outlook on