As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

POGS

Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
do you remember these fucking things? i was just watching some stupid youtube 90s nostalgia video and pogs came up.

800px-Pog_Collection.jpg

i had so many pogs. that shit was just shameful. i didn't even know how to play the fucking game! i don't think anybody did!

i had pogs because everybody else did. pogs just were. did they have the shops in your town that sold pogs and just pogs? these places undoubtedly went out of business quickly.

Mister Longbaugh on

• Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    im reppin' lower west side pog shop

pogs were the shit

Urian on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    you threw the big pog at the little pogs and if they turned over you won them. What's hard about that.

Tube on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I had tons of Pogs and when on holiday with my parents would spend hours in those shops in malls that had bin after bin of assorted pogs looking for the perfect design.

I think I actually played the game twice with my brother, but that didn't stop me collecting the shit out of them.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a bunch of cheap knock offs

mostly i hated the news being all "New unexplainable craze sweeping the nation!" motherfucker its just something to collect this isn't a big deal god damn it

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still have a Pog that displays a scene from the Batman animated series.

On the Pog he is fighting the Penguin with a screwdriver. I'm pretty pleased I still have that thing.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i remember how much those serrated fucking slammer stupid bullshit things hurt when you got hit in the neck with one.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

mostly i hated the news being all "New unexplainable craze sweeping the nation!" motherfucker its just something to collect this isn't a big deal god damn it

you had cheap knock offs of pogs? were they made of notebook paper or something?

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Did they bring back Alf?

In Tazo form?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My Dad had a business trip to Canada just as pogs came in, so I had ass tons of ones you couldn't get over here and big metal slammers. I was a cool fucking kid.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shit, I didn't even know there was a game you were supposed to play. I just liked throwing them across the room like a miniature frisbee.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Shit, I didn't even know there was a game you were supposed to play. I just liked throwing them across the room like a miniature frisbee.
    How did you not know there was a game? Every packet came with instructions and TVs were filled with images smiling like they'd just seen the true face of God and playing it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    all i knew was that i had to have more pogs than everyone else and they had to be better, god damnit

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

A cheap knockoff of a thin cardboard circle with a flimsy paper label printed on it?

How do you go any cheaper than that?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Our school made a rule against playing pogs "for keeps" because Matt F. played against Carlos, and after Carlos lost all his pogs he went and cried to a teacher to get them returned.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my pogs are all dusty and gross so they are not accepted in tournaments any more

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    How did you not know there was a game? Every packet came with instructions and TVs were filled with images smiling like they'd just seen the true face of God and playing it.
    Okay, first of all, I didn't buy my Pogs in bulk, whenever I got them it was one at a time, so no packets for me.

Also I didn't really watch much TV back then, I mostly enjoyed books or some gay shit like that, because books are for nerds.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They did Tazos in the UK for a while. I think they gave them away free in bags of Doritos. Had little notches around the edges so you could stick them together like a very basic stickle brick. Started off with Warner Brothers characters and then they did a series of Star Wars shots. I collected most of the Star Wars ones. I had a whole bunch of them with the photograph of Han Solo that Ascot uses as an avatar on them.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Our school made a rule against playing pogs "for keeps" because Matt F. played against Carlos, and after Carlos lost all his pogs he went and cried to a teacher to get them returned.

A lot of schools over here banned "scrambles" where you threw all your Pogs in the air and all the kids kicked and tore at each other to get to them. It was malevolent genius. People died.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

A lot of schools over here banned "scrambles" where you threw all your Pogs in the air and all the kids kicked and tore at each other to get to them. It was malevolent genius. People died.

It's like 52 Card Pick Up or The Indians Are Coming only HOLY SHIT HE JUST THREW ALL HIS POGS IN THE AIR GET THEM!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not anyone of note, luckily.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh man i was such a pog nerd

i had a fucking binder with all my pogs categorized in them

i had a whole tube of slammers, it was like pulling your favorite club out of the golf bag

they are probably still in my parents attic

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My school had a very strict ban on Pokemon cards that lasted about a week until a teacher trashed some kid's holographic Charizard or something. Kid complains to parents, parents complain to school, Pokemon cards are reinstated. Hurrah!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not anyone of note, luckily.

Princess Diana

Tube on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    i lost all my pogs

also all my sonic the hedgehog comics

i bet they're worth nothing now

Shankusu on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember POGS fondly. A fun little game/distraction/collection. I had a pretty sweet collection; not tons of POGS, but almost all the ones I had were cool. Fucking Mega Man X POGS in an issue of Nintendo Power! I nearly shat myself when I saw the Zero POG. Still my fav to this day. I had a cool slammer too that would kick all kinds of ass. Can't remember whatever happened to them. Ah, Memory lane. . .

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There were good pogs and bad pogs

I had mostly bad pogs

the best one i had was a bomb with sunglasses on, and the worst was a tossup between a grainy photo of a duck in a pond and a picture of a clown that I think said Australian Fairgrounds on it

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fletcher wrote: »

I had mostly bad pogs

the best one i had was a bomb with sunglasses on, and the worst was a tossup between a grainy photo of a duck in a pond and a picture of a clown that I think said Australian Fairgrounds on it

you were terrible at pogs

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Remember Alf? He's back, in POG form!

148lon6.jpg

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I had mostly bad pogs

sometimes i made my own pogs, but i couldn't afford pencils or cardboard so i just cried onto a piece of paper

Fletcher on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1012553450_8331.gif

Oden on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There were shitty football pogs too. The losers with those had to put three in a stack for every proper pog.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Speaking of 52 card pickup, I had a pack of cards on the bus one time, riding home from school.

Now, this was winter, so kids with crusts of muddy ice and snow had tromped into the bus, and it had melted, so the entire floor was just this muddy sluiceway.

And this jerkoff fat kid comes up to me and goes "hey, ever play 52 card pickup?" He was one of those redneck kids, you know the type.

I figured it was a game about trucks. Pickup trucks.

Nope. He slaps my cards out of my hand and they go skidding across the muddy floor just as the bus went around a turn. All of my cards went zipping away under the seats, skipping off people's feet and spinning wildly, suspended on a thin film of filthwater.

Every time the bus would stop or start the cards would migrate from one end of the bus to the other, and I'd sit there with my legs held high, stomping on them to collect them as they passed by.

I never did recover the entire pack.

And the worst part?

Those were my motherfucking Transformers cards.

Trevor Billings, you fat, fat, redneck son of a fuck, I hope you rot in hell.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    when both pogs and pokemon cards were glourious for me in school especially as I was the only person who knew the rules. The school bullies who's sole existance seemed to be stealing charizards left my shit alone after I challenged the biggest dickhead in the school to a match, the prize, all the cards I owned. Fucker didn't stand a chance. I even let him get his precious charizard in play before just using energy removal on it. It was like an 80's film or some shit.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I remember when yo-yo's were popular

I couldn't do any tricks so I thought they were stupid

Oden on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »
    when both pogs and pokemon cards were glourious for me in school especially as I was the only person who knew the rules. The school bullies who's sole existance seemed to be stealing charizards left my shit alone after I challenged the biggest dickhead in the school to a match, the prize, all the cards I owned. Fucker didn't stand a chance. I even let him get his precious charizard in play before just using energy removal on it. It was like an 80's film or some shit.

oh god
    what did the english language ever do to you

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I had mostly bad pogs

sometimes i made my own pogs, but i couldn't afford pencils or cardboard so i just cried onto a piece of paper

poor kids were the worst

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    When I came to Canada Pokemon cards weren't cool anymore and everyone'd switched to Yu-Gi-Oh.

I was pretty good at that despite living off of my friend's discarded cards.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oden wrote: »

Oh shit. And that yo-yo guy came to school?

I had the one that looked like a tire. Except I trimmed the string too short and it was largely useless until my friends and I figured out how to throw them out of our hands and retract them like predator disks.

Unguarded balls were the target of choice.

Those were the days - walking around the hallway and playground with your hand in your pocket, fingering your yo-yo like it was a loaded gun, just waiting to catch someone's balls off guard.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »
    When I came to Canada Pokemon cards weren't cool anymore and everyone'd switched to Yu-Gi-Oh.

I was pretty good at that despite living off of my friend's discarded cards.

i dont care what anyone thinks, yu gi oh was a solid card game. it was easy to pick up and had loads of neat combos.

the show on the other hand was god awful

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oden wrote: »

Oh shit. And that yo-yo guy came to school?

Nah, I don't live in an episode of The Simpsons.

Oden on