As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: Everyone in Green.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only bad thing about that idea is that both steel legion and sisters are basically entirely metal and thus it'd probably be pretty pricey.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are we talking Steel legion from the ye olde Codex Armageddon or the Guard Codex? I'm pretty sure that the inducted guard you can take have to be vanilla, so no doctrines, if thats what you're asking. Also, you can only take certain units, with further restrictions based on what you take, but there are no guides on what the have to look like :P

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    pale_blue_dot.jpg

(Pale) Blue dot.

:mrgreen:

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Are we talking Steel legion from the ye olde Codex Armageddon or the Guard Codex? I'm pretty sure that the inducted guard you can take have to be vanilla, so no doctrines, if thats what you're asking. Also, you can only take certain units, with further restrictions based on what you take, but there are no guides on what the have to look like :P

I meant model wise there's no reason he can't have Steel Legion and Sisters.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Space marine Army I'm currently running Crits/Critiques would own.
    Chapter Master
    -Storm bolter
    -Aux Gren Launcher
    -Power Sword

2x Dreadnought
    -Assault Cannon
    -Drop Pod

Predator 85
    - Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    Devastator Squad
    -4x Heavy Bolter
    Tac squad x2
    -Plasma/Missile
    -Rhino

Tac squad x1
    -Flamer/missile
    -Rhino

Scout Squad
    -Tele Homer
    Land Speeder Storm

All adds up to 1498.

Jerick on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dayspring wrote: »
    The only bad thing about that idea is that both steel legion and sisters are basically entirely metal and thus it'd probably be pretty pricey.

Yeah, expense. Already knew that would be pretty brutal. This is idle dreaming more than anything, I still need to learn how to play.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That actually looks a lot like what i'm working up to. I don't have any experience with devastator squads but aren't they pretty expensive with al heavy bolters? I'd take another pred or whirlwind but your choice i just as valid. What are the scouts are with? Also i'm thinking of taking Termies instead of dreads since i'm planning to field Lysander, but i'm not sure yet. edit: just looked up devastators and heavy bolters. That is a *nice* amount of firepower they can put out. I mean drop the near or on an objective together with a combat squad and you've got masada untill templates come near.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I only play with my friends really, and they mainly field orcs, so thats what I tailored my army towards, I'm thinking of removing the chapter master and replacing him with something else.

Jerick on
  • Options
    NimnarNimnar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jerick wrote: »
    I only play with my friends really, and they mainly field orcs, so thats what I tailored my army towards, I'm thinking of removing the chapter master and replacing him with something else.

If that's mainly what you're going up against then I'd say it's pretty good. The devastator squad could use some more bodies to soak up casualties, and god forbid you ever face anyone with a lot of armor. Aside from those two concerns it looks like a pretty fun and competitive list. Playtesting of course is always advisable, but it should do fairly well against horde armies, like your friends' orks.

Nimnar on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jesus Christ is it new thread time already? Fucking school making me all... not paying attention to this board as much. Schoooooool!

SJ on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love explaining the Warhammer universe who doesn't know anything about it or explaining details of the background and history to players that haven't read as much of it

Like explaining what a Space Marine is and how he becomes as such or exactly what an Eldar Avatar is, where it comes from, and what it does

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. I have yet to tell someone who's response wasn't "Holy... shit," or "That is metal," or something like that.

SJ on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FYI, the links attached to each of the faction titles redirect to the main Games Workshop page, so I guess they don't exist any more or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just want to take a minute and post glowing praise for Apocabitznow.com

They bitz out a ton of models, even metal blisters, and they have phenomenal communication. They even stock Forgeworld parts - I just picked up some Salamanders termie shoulders from 'em.

Thumbs up all the way. This is my 2nd order with them and I have nothing to complain about.

Ein on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit, ein. Thank you.

Now my nobs can actually use nice weapons, my boys can wield shoota's, and I can run 'ard boys!

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the site, the only thing i don't like is the severe lack of pictures

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ooo, I am overjoyed! I am getting a full sisters of battle army from Eldercat for under $250, and then my boyfriend is giving me his Space Marines from Macragge and Black Reach. So cool.

I want free models :'<

u giev?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    @SJ: Hey for the Iron Man thing, can I use the Armored Company rules?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    when are we going to add Chaos Daemons to the first post?

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    @SJ: Hey for the Iron Man thing, can I use the Armored Company rules?

Uhm... sure? I'm pretty sure you can. The rules are up on the game shoppes forum.

SJ on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    FYI, the links attached to each of the faction titles redirect to the main Games Workshop page, so I guess they don't exist any more or something.
    I set those up before GW did it's big web-page redesign, and they've just been copied over with each new thread. They'll just have to be fixed the next time around.
    CrownAxe wrote: »
    when are we going to add Chaos Daemons to the first post?
    The Damned will have to wait until the next thread for inclusion. At least they'll get that sooner the the Daemons over in the FB thread.:P

So, question: how long, in general, does it take y'all to finish painting something? I've been working on my last penitent engine for on average an hour a night for the past two weeks, and I'm about halfway done. From start to finish, I can do a single infantry model a day (so about six hours working time). That's one of the reasons why I mentioned painting services, because I managed to totally sour myself on doing large sets of similar color schemes when I spent the better part of a year plowing through my tyranids.

I see and hear of people painting at my level of ability or better, doing a whole IG platoon, or mob of boyz, or 'nid brood in a week, or a quarter of an army over a weekend, and I just can't imagine what I'm doing that makes me so much slower than they are.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    MajorElintMajorElint Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jerick wrote: »
    Space marine Army I'm currently running Crits/Critiques would own.
    Chapter Master
    -Storm bolter
    -Aux Gren Launcher
    -Power Sword

2x Dreadnought
    -Assault Cannon
    -Drop Pod

Predator 85
    - Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    Devastator Squad
    -4x Heavy Bolter
    Tac squad x2
    -Plasma/Missile
    -Rhino

Tac squad x1
    -Flamer/missile
    -Rhino

Scout Squad
    -Tele Homer
    Land Speeder Storm

All adds up to 1498.

Why are you taking a teleport homer when you have no teleporting units?

MajorElint on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    MajorElint wrote: »

Why are you taking a teleport homer when you have no teleporting units?

Drop Pods will home in on a teleport homer just as well as Terminators, or I'm smoking crack. As is obvious due to the crack pipe in my mouth.

Edited for obvious reasons.

And a second time to comment on just how much more useful Locator Beacons are when compared to the lowly teleport homer. Cause Jesus Christ (also note the capitalization because for fuck's sake it isn't spelled correctly if it isn't capitalized [try it yourself]) teleport homers are only usable with fucking Terminators and locator beacons are usable by everything.

Nimnar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    For anyone actually interested in Salamanders, I'm working on shoulder pad designs to sculpt up and cast. Can anyone else think of others?

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/pads.png - linked for big image

Some of them are wishful thinking, like the 'needlessly complex' one and the one with the 'SALAMANDERS' text actually sculpted onto it. Still, we'll see.

Also, Sharp, I just picked up some FW Sally Termie Shoulders. :winky:

Ein on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Using Raslin's Method (tm) I've concocted a list that I'm actually fairly happy with:

Space Marine Captain with Relic Blade, Plasma Pistol, Artificer Armor and a Jump Pack 185pts
    -He will join the Assault Marines and give them some extra oomph!

10 man tactical squad with a flamer, a missile launcher and a power weapon for the sergeant 185pts
    10 man tactical squad with a flamer, a missile launcher and a power weapon for the sergeant 185pts
    -These two squads fill out the troop choices and sort of act as general all rounders.

10 man assault marine squad with a power weapon and combat shield for the sergeant 210pts
    -Get into assault and tear stuff up.

Attack Bike with a heavy bolter 40pts
    Attack Bike with a heavy bolter 40pts
    -Flank harassment, mainly there to zip around, annoy the enemy, prevent the enemy from scoring objectives and just to be generally obnoxious.

10 man devastator squad w/ four lascannons 310pts
    -Anti-tank. I'll admit they are really pricey but man, it will be an intimidating squad. Will probably split into two five man squads with two lascannons each.

Dreadnought with an assault cannon and a dreadnought CCW with storm bolter 115pts
    Dreadnought with an assault cannon and a dreadnought CCW with storm bolter 115pts
    - Can tie up and slow down dangerous anti-infantry squads and generally tear stuff up.

1,500 points on the nose.

As for your list Jerick, it seems pretty solid. One issue, as you noted, is that your chapter master doesn't really mesh with any of your units. Try to set him up to compliment one of your units and have him join them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why is everyone so hard over salamanders anyways? I've never really seen the alure, despite a couple amphibious transports that were sorta cool.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well crap, the teleport beacon thing is totally my fault, but basically ruins the list. Sigh, gotta figure out a way to get a locator beacon in there now :(

Jerick on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    Why is everyone so hard over salamanders anyways? I've never really seen the alure, despite a couple amphibious transports that were sorta cool.

Well, I dig the color scheme, for one. Also, it's cool to have non-aryan looking space marines, it's a nice change. The fact that they maintain smaller numbers than other chapters gives them a fun 'root for the underdog' feel. Then, you have their mastery of the forge and their exotic gear coupled with the fact that they have an emphasis meltas and flamers which are both very stylish weapons. Then, you just top that all off with the fact that their new special character in 5th edition is awesome.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Well, I dig the color scheme, for one. Also, it's cool to have non-aryan looking space marines, it's a nice change. The fact that they maintain smaller numbers than other chapters gives them a fun 'root for the underdog' feel. Then, you have their mastery of the forge and their exotic gear coupled with the fact that they have an emphasis meltas and flamers which are both very stylish weapons. Then, you just top that all off with the fact that their new special character in 5th edition is awesome.

Pretty much everything he just said. I liked Lost and the Damned because of their flamed armor, but didn't like them because it'd be hard to put together a proper list for them that made sense - they're a very hit and run force, and they're not supposed to 'organize', so things like an HQ or sergeants don't click properly.

Then Salamanders roll up. I really like them because I like the idea of Marines who actually know how to fix their own stuff, and the techmarines get to go nuts with the more exotic stuff, as Inquisitor put it. The idea that the marines fix/make/maintain their own weapons is a really cool touch.

I actually don't like the non-aryan angle, because GW has made it weird. They're not just black guys, they're 'jet black skin, with red eyes', which actually seems a little bit racist to me; if I put that on a table with someone who doesn't know the sally background fluff, they'll think I'm demonizing black people or something. I'll probably have most of my salamanders helmeted.

Plus, I wanted an army that would make effective use of drop pods, and since salamander wargear has a focus on close range (flamers, meltas), they work well together.

And Vulkan He'stan's rules are ridiculous, yes. I will admit that's part of the siren call.

Ein on
  • Options
    DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    I ran out of ideas on the spear, honestly. I'll keep working on it.

Check out this guy's halberd
    motw_09_December_Lukhan_Cypher_Halberd.jpg

It's kind of awesome. Since he already exists, might be easy to track him down. Honestly i havent looked though.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    OK, so we all know that Vulkan He'stan of the Salamanders is tits on boobs. My concern is where the hell do I stick the guy? You can't really stick him in with a shooting squad because his only ranged weapon is a heavy flamer. A squad of Vanguard Vets would be a nice spot to put him, but then they can't do heroic intervention, and you'd have to stick them in a drop pod or something, which pretty much defeats most of the purpose of taking them. You can't take a Command Squad or Honor Guard with him because unfortunately he isn't listed in their entries. So that pretty much leaves Assault Terminators, or a regular Assault Squad (again without their jump packs). The more I look at it, the more I want to stick him in a Land Raider Crusader with 7 Assault Terminators, that way when they pop out your opponent dies a little inside.

And on a separate but related note RE: He'stan's Spear: whenever I actually get around to making up the model and eventually paint the freaking thing I'd like to try to make the blade look like it sounds like it would look from the codex "... a blade that burns so brightly as to set even Ceramite ablaze." so I figure I'll be shooting for something along the lines of this:
    45019548.JPG
    With the blade ranging from a glowing white to the deep red near the haft like the iron rod in the picture.
    Edit: Wow just realized that's kind of a large image to just smear onto the screen.

Nimnar on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For the first time since 2nd edition, im reading the actual army list part of a codex. With the intent to make my renegade gaurd fit the regular gaurd list.

Man, does a single Troops slot really have a minimum of 25 gaurd? Really? There's only 20 in a box!

J on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nimnar wrote: »
    OK, so we all know that Vulkan He'stan of the Salamanders is tits on boobs. My concern is where the hell do I stick the guy?

I should warn that I have very little experience playing with marines (almost none, actually) and that I'm dumb enough to try and cram He'stan into a 1k list.

That said, my list at 1k puts He'stan into a drop pod with the minimum sized Command Squad which also has a Champion. I figure I'll toss it close to something and count on his ridiculous close combat power and the extra power weapon of the champion to see it through, as well as the apothecary's feel no pain to keep him hammering on stuff.

I have yet to actually try this. I could be stupid.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok after the fiasco that was my old army list i've spent the last couple hours revising them, I've got 2 now. ones a basic rework of the old list to give it a "Locator Beacon" and the other one is a complete retooling of the list.

http://www.llosi.com/warhammer40k/UltramarineArmyOriginal.xls
    http://www.llosi.com/warhammer40k/UltramarineArmyRevised.xls

I've not used a librarian before, so if he's basically worthless let me know.

Jerick on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm wondering if taking 5 bloodcrushers is overkill. It just seems like at least 3 always die before they actually get into melee range.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OK, so we all know that Vulkan He'stan of the Salamanders is tits on boobs. My concern is where the hell do I stick the guy?

I should warn that I have very little experience playing with marines (almost none, actually) and that I'm dumb enough to try and cram He'stan into a 1k list.

That said, my list at 1k puts He'stan into a drop pod with the minimum sized Command Squad which also has a Champion. I figure I'll toss it close to something and count on his ridiculous close combat power and the extra power weapon of the champion to see it through, as well as the apothecary's feel no pain to keep him hammering on stuff.

Yeah, but who'd you take to get the command squad? He'stan and a company captain in the same force is kind of overkill at 1K...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, but who'd you take to get the command squad? He'stan and a company captain in the same force is kind of overkill at 1K...

That's the problem yeah. I want to take He'stan and make him as worthwhile as possible, but he can't take either bodyguard unit (command squad or honor guard). Add to this the fact that I would like to take a Master of the Forge for the Dreads and the Conversion Beam bike antics that he comes with and I'm in a bit of a quandary here, due to him also lacking the ability to take the necessary guard squad. That's why I'm thinking in a large list the LRC and Assault Terminators would be about the best compromise. In a smaller list a regular 9 man assault squad with rhino after jet pack removal would be a better choice I think, but still not really as ideal as him just being able to field his own command squad.

Nimnar on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The next OP should be Necrons
    Necrons wrote:

or maybe not.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Pretty much everything he just said. I liked Lost and the Damned because of their flamed armor, but didn't like them because it'd be hard to put together a proper list for them that made sense - they're a very hit and run force, and they're not supposed to 'organize', so things like an HQ or sergeants don't click properly.

Then Salamanders roll up. I really like them because I like the idea of Marines who actually know how to fix their own stuff, and the techmarines get to go nuts with the more exotic stuff, as Inquisitor put it. The idea that the marines fix/make/maintain their own weapons is a really cool touch.

I actually don't like the non-aryan angle, because GW has made it weird. They're not just black guys, they're 'jet black skin, with red eyes', which actually seems a little bit racist to me; if I put that on a table with someone who doesn't know the sally background fluff, they'll think I'm demonizing black people or something. I'll probably have most of my salamanders helmeted.

Plus, I wanted an army that would make effective use of drop pods, and since salamander wargear has a focus on close range (flamers, meltas), they work well together.

And Vulkan He'stan's rules are ridiculous, yes. I will admit that's part of the siren call.

While I agree with everything that was mentioned, I can boil down my long lasting love for Salamanders into a few points.
    • Awesome Colour scheme
    • Hammers and fire are their weapons of choice
    • Each one is basically a novice techmarine (kinda)
    • They have a fucking awesome primarch.
    • They were my second army, and the army that REALLY got me into 40k *Hobby*
    • They are the most 'down to earth' chapter. In their off time they help out to humans on their own planet, help with the harvest and stuff like that.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, pie. Delicious Treat or Tyranid vanguard?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
This discussion has been closed.