As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars MMO, take two (Republic Troopers within)

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    The character creation screen will be like the old Ultima gypsy wagon screens where you can choose what action you would take in a given situation.

e.g. You see a puppy walking down the road. He is wimpering and seems lost. You ____
    Adopt the puppy, feed it pot roast, and you grow old together, until the original owner shows up and you then forfeit the puppy and give the original owner 1 million credits in arrears for puppy rental.

Keep on driving.

Let Satan take the wheel.
    Your class will be: Shepherd.

Have fun fighting off the mandalorians with your crook, schutta.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • FragtasticFragtastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Would a MMO during the Mandalorian Wars work?

Only if it has awesome PvP and we can play the Mandalorian's.

That would actually be an AWESOME PvP MMO. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars. What force in the universe is martially capable of handling the Jedi? Why, the Mandalorian's are. It solves the problem of Jedi being so powerful, it's all anyone will play.

but the mandalorians lost once the Jedi got involved

Yeah, I dont really understand how the Mandalorians are able to "handle" the Jedi.

Fragtastic on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mostly, with really big robots.

And remember, in the grand scheme of things there still weren't all that many jedi.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd rather have a Mass Effect MMO than star wars...or a new knights of the old republic game.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    It's gonna be Full Throttle Online.

NOOOOoooo Noooo.

/sobbing :cry:
    Hey, Full Throttle was a great game. Ok, how about Grim Fandango Online? I would say Their Finest Hour Online, but no one respects WWII plane sims any more.
    The character creation screen will be like the old Ultima gypsy wagon screens where you can choose what action you would take in a given situation.

e.g. You see a puppy walking down the road. He is wimpering and seems lost. You ____
    Adopt the puppy, feed it pot roast, and you grow old together, until the original owner shows up and you then forfeit the puppy and give the original owner 1 million credits in arrears for puppy rental.

Keep on driving.

It's a cortosis weave crook. With a end that shocks the shit out of people. After all, I'm a rancor herder. Meet my pet/mount rancor. I call him Toby.

GungHo on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    It's gonna be Full Throttle Online.

NOOOOoooo Noooo.

/sobbing :cry:
    Hey, Full Throttle was a great game. Ok, how about Grim Fandango Online? I would say Their Finest Hour Online, but no one respects WWII plane sims any more.

Keep on driving.

It's a cortosis weave crook. With a end that shocks the shit out of people. After all, I'm a rancor herder. Meet my pet/mount rancor. I call him Toby.

Sorry, you can't tame rancors anymore...

NGE ftw!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Funnily enough, KOTOR is about the only place where I'd be fine with a bunch of Jedi PCs running around.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please don't make it WoW set in space with lightsabers.

Every other fucking MMO is trying to so hard to beat WoW that they often emulate it in a lot of areas, and it's fucking boring!

Just bite the bullet and use multiple Jedi classes. You can't include Jedi without making them extremely potent (canon etc) and everyone will want to be one (at least at some point).

Endomatic on
    edited October 2008
    Jedi gunslinger please? :P

Favorite KOTOR playthrough.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd like to see the initial factions be Mandalore and Republic, with Republic players being able to go evil and Sithy if they want (not just force users, the Sith army had lots of troops).

Maybe let some Mandalores merc out to the Sith while they're at it if they need more population.

Scooter on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Please don't make it WoW set in space with lightsabers.

Every other fucking MMO is trying to so hard to beat WoW that they often emulate it in a lot of areas, and it's fucking boring!

Just bite the bullet and use multiple Jedi classes. You can't include Jedi without making them extremely potent (canon etc) and everyone will want to be one (at least at some point).

I've been preaching this since the rumors started. Everyone wants to be a god damn Jedi, and if it's set in the Old Repubilc, just let everyone be a god damn Jedi.

JustinSane07 on
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fragtastic wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Would a MMO during the Mandalorian Wars work?

Only if it has awesome PvP and we can play the Mandalorian's.

That would actually be an AWESOME PvP MMO. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars. What force in the universe is martially capable of handling the Jedi? Why, the Mandalorian's are. It solves the problem of Jedi being so powerful, it's all anyone will play.

but the mandalorians lost once the Jedi got involved

Yeah, I dont really understand how the Mandalorians are able to "handle" the Jedi.

Lots of high-yield explosives, cryro-grenades, and jetpacks.

At least that's *my* plan; they can only force throw one thing at a time.

As HK-47 said "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would.

Totally support.

A game where I had to survive lots of people toting extremely dangerous jedi killing weapons.

And I could only kill them with my lightsaber but got to use the force in the most fucked up and unfair ways.

So everybody is completely unfair.

I would play an mmo like that so hard.

They wont make that though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

And remember, in the grand scheme of things there still weren't all that many jedi.

MechWarrior meets Jedi Outcast meets KOTOR?

Good god man.

Fragtastic on
    edited October 2008
    Long range sniper droid (no malice, thus no force precog helping you) firing hypervelocity ballistic projectiles (possibly explosive) from at least a couple of kilometers away. Preferably several from multiple directions.

Thats kinda nerdy...

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I mean, there's a limit to what one dude with a lightsaber can do against a hundred dudes with big guns.

That and stuff like the basilisk in KOTOR could fuck jedis up.

Even with that though, the KOTOR games make reference to regular commando-types who are trained to fight jedi, so it isn't all that crazy to think there's be some jedi vs. nonjedi pvp.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2008
    Ep. III had plenty of Jedi getting gunned, and a decent number died in the arena in II. Plus Grevious killed at least half a dozen 4-handedly, with nothing more than cyborg limbs to balance him out.

Actually, we only really see Jedi being badasses in a major fight when they're fighting those really dumbass cheap droids.

Scooter on
  • theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope you can choose Droid as a playable race.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
    edited October 2008
    I mean, there's a limit to what one dude with a lightsaber can do against a hundred dudes with big guns.

Even with that though, the KOTOR games make reference to regular commando-types who are trained to fight jedi, so it isn't all that crazy to think there's be some jedi vs. nonjedi pvp.

This is true, but more often than not the Jedi are commanding very large groups of troops, at least in their hay-day. So I guess it comes down to the training of the troops, with the Jedi being sort of a charismatic leader that is also super powered with the Force. Mandalores obviously would be more skilled than the average joe-shmoe soldier, but I was under the impression that they were elite groups of commandos rather than armies, per se. Or was there a huge number of them during the Old Republic?

Fragtastic on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

This is true, but more often than not the Jedi are commanding very large groups of troops, at least in their hay-day. So I guess it comes down to the training of the troops, with the Jedi being sort of a charismatic leader that is also super powered with the Force. Mandalores obviously would be more skilled than the average joe-shmoe soldier, but I was under the impression that they were elite groups of commandos rather than armies, per se. Or was there a huge number of them during the Old Republic?

they were powerful enough to nearly overthrow the republic in the KotOR era, especially because most of the Jedi refused to get involved

then Revan happened, etc

INeedNoSalt on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Long range sniper droid (no malice, thus no force precog helping you) firing hypervelocity ballistic projectiles (possibly explosive) from at least a couple of kilometers away. Preferably several from multiple directions.

Thats kinda nerdy...

That would kill anyone, let alone a jedi. So, that'll never be in. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2008
    Can never be too sure with those damn Jedi. :lol:

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited October 2008
    Werl.

Someone like Mace would probably just catch the damn things and throw them back at you. So you could be right!

I like the Jedi can only force throw one thing at a time earlier though. That's only true as a game mechanic, luke lifts about three or four things at once in ESB, as does Vader when he's tossing things at Luke. :P

God I'm so nerdy about SW.

As a game mechanic also, force push in all the outcast/academy games affected a giant area in front of you, and tfu lets you throw multiple things at once.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    They're Space Mongols. Seriously.

GungHo on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been re-reading the Katana Fleet trilogy (in five parts >.> ), and it makes me realize how much I'd love to see Timothy Zahn involved in more Star Wars stuff. Movies, games, anything.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    theclam wrote: »

HA! That would be pretty awesome.

But I shivver is fear at all the HK-47 wannabe's running around...AK-47, 8k-47, HK-4seven, HKay-47, ect...

As long as droids can't use lightsabers. We don't need a billion Gievous's running around either >.<

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think you mean IG-88...

Get your facts straight!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HK-47 > IG-88. HK's got personality, and personality goes a long way.

Tach on
  • TrivialTrivial Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sliiiightly off-topic, but what Kotor-era novels/comics/etc. do you guys recommend? I'm playing through both games again after finishing them a few years ago, and I find myself being sucked into the universe yet again.

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SWG had a name recognition system to keep peeps from using popular names. This is a good thing. The random name generator was nuts though. It would spit out the craziest stuff, stuff like Ixtirbirb Ohoih. I am all for droid PC's though. I am also for musician professions. Pre-NGE musician was probably the most fun I had with a profession.

bejeavis on
    edited October 2008
    theclam wrote: »

HA! That would be pretty awesome.

But I get an erection considering all the HK-47 wannabe's running around...AK-47, 8k-47, HK-4seven, HKay-47, ect...

As long as droids can't use lightsabers. We don't need a billion Gievous's running around either >.<

Fixed that for you. Hundreds of psychotic droids bent on exterminating life at random sounds peachy to me.

If droids were a playable race, make HK-50 a racial choice. It's fluffy so it would explain why there are so many.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2008

Good god man.

That's too much awesome for one Universe.

Like, it would leak over into other realities where people on Earth 5674 would be saying, "Hey, what's with the temporal rift? Um, is that Boba Fett manning a Daishi?

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2008
    widowson wrote: »

Good god man.

That's too much awesome for one Universe.

Like, it would leak over into other realities where people on Earth 5674 would be saying, "Hey, what's with the temporal rift? Um, is that Boba Fett manning a Daishi?

Next thing they'll let a Jedi jump up and cut into the cockpit and take over a Timberwolf Mercenaries style and then the whole multiverse just collapses.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    Trivial wrote: »
    Sliiiightly off-topic, but what Kotor-era novels/comics/etc. do you guys recommend? I'm playing through both games again after finishing them a few years ago, and I find myself being sucked into the universe yet again.

There's a comic series that takes place during the Mandalorian War, starts on Taris where a Jedi padawan is framed for the murder of his classmates. Starts off ok, but the plot seemed to get sidetracked after a while, and I stopped reading after they changed to a really shit artist.

Scooter on
  • TrivialTrivial Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Trivial wrote: »

There's a comic series that takes place during the Mandalorian War, starts on Taris where a Jedi padawan is framed for the murder of his classmates. Starts off ok, but the plot seemed to get sidetracked after a while, and I stopped reading after they changed to a really shit artist.

You wouldn't happen to have the name, would you?
    EDITS:
    Er, of the comic. Not so much the artist.

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • kidkokidko Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    It's just called "Knights of the Old Republic". This would be the collection to get you started:

http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Star-Wars%3A-Knights-Of-The-Old-Republic-Vol.-1-Commencement-TPB___237476

The artist change gets reversed so it gets better past that point. It's a cool cast, especially the hottie albino ass-kickin' chick (yes she has elf ears but whatever they kind of explain it eventually)

(img contained within)
    12929.jpg

kidko on
    edited October 2008
    It's really a fun story, and interesting in that the characters have genuine faults and aren't just engines of destruction. There's some emo stuff going on with the main characters, but there's a reason for the confusion and the world-turned-upside-down of it all, rather than they're just angry because heroes have mommy/daddy issues.

GungHo on
  • RockyRocky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »

I would like to point out that BioWare essentially invented the Sentinel class as a third option for Jedi beyond the standard Guardians and Consulars. You can pretty much assume multiple Jedi classes/talents/paths/whatever they end up using.

It wasn't one commando versus one Jedi, though. It was like ten hardcase dudes with rocket launchers versus one Jedi, and nine of them weren't coming home.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, there would definatly have to be differant Jedi classes or paths.

Maybe some token ranged classes. Balance them so that only they can use grenades and mines or something. Hard to say how it could work. But a choice to NOT have to be a Jedi would be nice.

I'm curious if you would choose light or dark side from character creation or if you start neutral like the other games and choose as you play. It would be very interesting to see Bioware story mechanics in an MMO.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.