As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMO Hate, Happiness, and Hope...what are we missing?

• rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    Wish: I had my laptop at work with me so I could at least fish or herb or check for TLPD or something instead of just sitting here reading forums.

What type of place to do you work that this is a feasible option?

I do in-house editing, so when there's nothing currently needing to be editing, I sit around reading forums. It's frustrating because I could do 95% of my job by telecommuting and then do something useful and/or fun during down time, but there is this archaic "it makes the higher-ups feel better if they see people in the office" thing.

riz on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    Wish: I had my laptop at work with me so I could at least fish or herb or check for TLPD or something instead of just sitting here reading forums.

What type of place to do you work that this is a feasible option?

I do in-house editing, so when there's nothing currently needing to be editing, I sit around reading forums. It's frustrating because I could do 95% of my job by telecommuting and then do something useful and/or fun during down time, but there is this archaic "it makes the higher-ups feel better if they see people in the office" thing.

I go type type type and insurance software comes out. Now who's job sounds cooler ?!
    It's Riz

Wombat02 on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Happy: Ran through the DK starter quests last night and really enjoyed them. Expected a lot and received a lot. Still trying to get a handle on how to play him properly, but I'm getting there slowly.

Hope: That it doesn't take me forever to get relatively decent at this game again...

Hate: At work for 5 and a half more hours with absolutely nothing to do but read junk on the internet.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited December 2008
    Hate: At work for 5 and a half more hours with absolutely nothing to do but read junk on the internet.

hi5

riz on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

hi5

Solidarity! Wouldn't be so bad, but I had to start later and that always fucks with my sense of time, and time seems to go backwards without work to do. Plus it'll be dark when I leave. Anyway, [Hope] that the stupid amount of time I've got to spend reading guides and forums will somehow translate into not feeling like a total idiot when attempting to kill manz.

firewaterword on
  • PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    First some background - in classic WoW my server had one alliance guild and one horde guild that dominated PvE content - they raided 5 nights/24 hours a week like most hardcore guilds and traded off server firsts. They both fell apart at the start of TBC, and the top 3 TBC guilds (1 horde, 2 alliance, the second alliance one being my guild) were more casual-hardcore (3 nights/12 hours of raiding per week).

Well, the original hardcore alliance guild decided to reform for WotLK and easily nabbed the server first Naxx25 and Sartharion25 kills.

Then yesterday - Amusement :
    WoWScrnShot_120408_202438.jpg

Screenshot is by someone in that alliance guild, the text is from when Malygos is at 10%. Evidently a horde progression guild had server transferred to our server and managed to nab the server first Malygos kill by about 40 seconds.

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
    edited December 2008
    "thats not us moron"

:lol:

riz on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hate: I just joined the ranks of at work with nothing to do. Our development servers just got disconnected and are being moved to a new location so I can't do any work!

Wombat02 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm at work with a couple of things to do... but it's 4:22 on a Friday and I can't be bothered. So instead I'm going to wrap up a few last odds and ends, play some Freecell and duck out as early as possible.

Vive la resistance!

Topical: hope: Heroics this weekend. I'm trying to be patient, I know it's only been a few weeks, but I'm slightly wary that the hardcore achievement whores are going to build up oodles of badges, get all their achievements and then just say fuck off to the rest of us.

Probable: starting the climb on the druid, likely aiming for ~72 sometime Sunday.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

hi5

I brought the PSP for such emergencies. Except I have Disgaea on it, which is worse than WoW.

zagi on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seething, burning hatred: Stormrage EU. It's an old (WoW eurolaunch) PvE realm where my friend plays. He's asked me to come play there ever since I started playing this game, so I finally was all "eh, why not" and transferred one of my less played characters (my Hunter) there so I could casually level her every now and then and get him to stop asking me to go there.

And dear Jesus is this realm just filled with retards. Every single instance group I've been in has been a completely and utter disaster. On my main realm you can go into instance and be done with it in 30 minutes, max, because there's very few mentally handicapped people playing on that realm, but not quite so on Stormrage, oh no! Fucking realm is like the goddamn special Olympics, only the people here are even dumber than the people partaking in that event.

Yeah, gonna transfer back to my main realm as soon as I can. Stormrage is probably the worst realm in the whole game.

reVerse on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    First some background - in classic WoW my server had one alliance guild and one horde guild that dominated PvE content - they raided 5 nights/24 hours a week like most hardcore guilds and traded off server firsts. They both fell apart at the start of TBC, and the top 3 TBC guilds (1 horde, 2 alliance, the second alliance one being my guild) were more casual-hardcore (3 nights/12 hours of raiding per week).

Well, the original hardcore alliance guild decided to reform for WotLK and easily nabbed the server first Naxx25 and Sartharion25 kills.

WoWScrnShot_120408_202438.jpg

Screenshot is by someone in that alliance guild, the text is from when Malygos is at 10%. Evidently a horde progression guild had server transferred to our server and managed to nab the server first Malygos kill by about 40 seconds.

Ha! That's brilliant.

Rizzi on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck all of you people who get to slack on Fridays. I have to do technical training for our sales guys then. I swear to god, if I have to explain a simple electrical circuit one more time....

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Fuck all of you people who get to slack on Fridays. I have to do technical training for our sales guys then. I swear to god, if I have to explain a simple electrical circuit one more time....

An electrical circuit? What's that?
    Sorry.

firewaterword on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    'lectricity is just fancy-talk for lightnin'

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Don't get me started. We had a customer run a 220 line into a device meant to 12 volts at .5 amps. It's been a bad electricity day.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2008

Don't get me started. We had a customer run a 220 line into a device meant to 12 volts at .5 amps. It's been a bad electricity day.

Shocking!

firewaterword on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

What, dare I ask, does your job entail?

Oats on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

snip

Isn't there supposed to be a grace period for those server first achievements so that anyone else who accomplishes it within the next few minutes also get the achievement?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote: »

What, dare I ask, does your job entail?

I work for a company that makes CCTV and Access control systems. My job is to make sure that what sales sells to a company will work as the customer wants it to. I spend much of my day reading RFP's and answering questions. I spend part of my day looking over blueprints. And I spend the rest of my day fixing shit. It's a fun way to combine lots of IT stuff with a bunch of low voltage stuff. The massive upside to my job is I get to play with exotic toys. And demonstrate that "Yes it is possible to completely flood a gigabit conection". And what remains of my day I spend plotting to kill the writers of CSI.

Thomamelas on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hate: Asshat gold spammers who ask if you want to join their company

Hope: I can get to 74 this weekend

Happy: I got 5 friends to come back to WoW after a 2 year break. Sucky part is they are all lvl 8 and im 72... time to powerlvl them.

Laonar on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    Sucky part is they are all lvl 8 and im 72... time to powerlvl them.

1-70 is really, really easy now.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    And what remains of my day I spend plotting to kill the writers of CSI.

Are you telling me you can't take an image from a digital camera and change the focus in the picture to get a fingerprint from the finger the photographer held in front of the lens!?

Echo on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    every violent crime can be solved with a montage

Dhalphir on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Annoyed: Did we really need 1000 earth and water elementals in Wintergrasp? Did we also only need like 12 fire ones, and 10 wind ones and the wind ones you also need to leave the borders of Wintergrasp and get on a flying mount to reach half their spawn locations? And no [blankity Life]-dropping Revenants? Why?

Also the respawn rates suck

Oboro on
    words
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The discovery that the 80s will be remembered for.

Arrath on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The discovery that the 80s will be remembered for.
    The hours approaching, just give it your best
    You've got to reach your prime.
    That’s when you need to put yourself to the test,
    And show us a passage of time,
    We're gonna need a montage (montage)
    Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Show a lot of things happing at once,
    Remind everyone of what’s going on (what’s going on?)
    And with every shot you show a little improvement
    To show it all would take to long
    That’s called a montage (montage)
    Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to go from just a beginner to a pro,
    You need a montage (montage)
    Even Rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anything that we want to go from just a beginner to a pro,
    You need a montage (montage)
    Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,
    If you fade out, it seem like more time
    Has passed in a montage,
    Montage

Halfmex on
    edited December 2008
    play with exotic toys

:winky:

riz on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hate: Elemental DPS is...lacking.

Hope: Blizzard does something about that.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Happy: Did my first heriocs today, Culling and Halls of Lightening. I got tanking wrist, the epic shield and a good amount of badges.

Hate: I get the shield out of strat the day I had my titansteel shield wall made. So I now I have two shields both of which are decent. The titansteel is better for me for raid tanking since it has more mitigation and keeps me at the cap but the crest looks beyond awesome. So torn, so I will just swap between them!

Beyond Happy: Killed 3 of the Alliance faction bosses, first Horde guild on my server to kill Magni, Tyrande and Valen. Wrynn did not die do to the Alliance waiting with about 50 people. On my server its an accomplishment for Horde, we are out number 3 to 1.

Hope: I am there for the last one for my black warbear.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited December 2008
    NOBLES DECK GET

oh god I spent 4100g on this trinket

Oboro on
    words
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    NOBLES DECK GET

oh god I spent 4100g on this trinket

That's it? Cards have been selling for 2-3k EACH on my realm. I would kill for one of these decks.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited December 2008
    Note that I just posted this at 6:23AM PST.

I've literally been logging my character in every 2 hours.

Yes, I've been sacrificing swaths of sleep to snipe the cards that people were listing far below what other people with more sensible sleep schedules would be willing to pay. D:

EDIT: I also made six Darkmoon Cards of the North personally, two of which were Nobles, one of which was a duplicate and I sold and the other of which was a duplicate but I traded for a Nobles card I didn't have yet

Oboro on
    words
    edited December 2008
    so happy: on Monday the 8th the Darkmoon Faire comes to town and I'll get to turn in my Nobles, Elementals, Portals, Warlords, Beasts, Storms, and Blessings decks!

hope: I can track down an Ace of Furies and a Six of Lunacy before the Faire ends, so that I can get the rest of the pre-Northrend decks out of the way and clear out some bank space

no chance in hell: I've got a few cards from the other Northrend decks, but I think with Nobles (the one I'll actually be using) out of the way, my epic flying training will take priority over my strange obsession with digital digital cardboard

Oboro on
    words
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To bad my troll rogue was forced transfered from Icecrown to Alleria otherwise I would sell you those two cards because they are just rotting away in the bank

Brainleech on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dum dee dum dee doo, I wonder if I can do the Dalaran cooking daily without getting too much exp (so I don't pull ahead of my friends). Ohh, it's the cheese platter one, this won't be a problem.

Dum dee dum, new cooking recipe for me, and a few skillups! This is nice. Let me put my crap in the bank.

Hrm, I still have a bunch of Outlands food mats in the bank. Why don't I port to Shatt to see if I can do the cooking daily for shits and giggles? Sounds good.

Super Hot Stew, okay, that's easy, doo dee doo, finish quest, Crate of Meat... FUCK YES CHOCOLATE CAKE

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Pet Peeve:

Wipe #2: "oh hey guys I gotta repair brb"
    Wipe #3: "shit my weapon's broke gotta go repair"
    Wipe #4: "oh lol my stuff's broke too brb while I repair"

WHEN ONE PERSON GOES

YOU GO TOO

Oboro on
    words
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't

Because I have the foresight to repair my shit before I go into a dungeon

INeedNoSalt on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't

Because I have the foresight to repair my shit before I go into a dungeon

And the foresight to not run with PUGs who wipe?

Oats on
    edited December 2008
    screw you guys I joined a casual guild for a reason and I regret that decision every day of my WoW life

Oboro on
    words
This discussion has been closed.