Options

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    snip0.jpg

Why isn't that douchebag Joe supporting the Chicago politician?

He wanted to be on TV and mentioned in the debates. I bet his business booms. Or something.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Apprentice_Plumber/Hourly_Rate
    According to this, even apprentice plumbers make a decent amount of money.

Wow, I always thought they got shit pay.

I'm so sorry.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.areaonejatc.com/plumbwage.pdf
    These are the minimum wages that are to be paid to plumber apprentices based on the
    new average wage of $29.59 per hour. Please remember any benefits you may offer
    must not be taken out of these minimum wages.
    The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries Wage and Hour Division strictly enforce the
    apprentice hourly rates.
    1st period - 40% - $ 11.84
    2nd period - 50% - $ 14.80
    3rd period - 55% - $ 16.27
    4th period - 60% - $ 17.75
    5th period - 65% - $ 19.23
    6th period - 70% - $ 20.71
    7th period - 75% - $ 22.19
    8th period - 80% - $ 23.67

Also:
    Pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters are among the highest paid construction occupations. In 2002, median hourly earnings of pipelayers were $13.70. The middle 50 percent earned between $10.96 and $18.43. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $9.20, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $24.31. Also in 2002, median hourly earnings of plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters were $19.31. The middle 50 percent earned between $14.68 and $25.87. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $11.23, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $32.27. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters in 2002 are shown below.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    Joe Wurzelbacher, aka "Joe The Plumber," told Katie Couric last night that John McCain delivered a solid performance and that he still doesn't know where Barack Obama stands. He particularly didn't like Obama on taxes. "But, you know, question, so he's going to do that now (raise taxes) for people who make $250,000 a year. When's he going to decide that $100,000 is too much, you know? I mean, you're on a slippery slope here. "

So Joe the Plumber's entire line of logic here is not that Obama will fuck his taxes up, it's that we're on a slippery slope and later Obama will totally raise taxes on him.

Dude, what. Is this a common line of thinking? Trying to predict the future based on... I dunno, fucking tea leaves?

And that's why we have to get rid of all the plumbers, plus, do know what the gas chambers used? Pipes. Do you know who work with pipes? Plumbers.

I like how everyone is listening to what a FUCKING PLUMBER thinks about the economy and stuff. Nothing against plumbers, I love the shit out of mario, but this guy is obviously not that smart.
    Supposedly (according to Politico I think), he's not even registered to vote.

So it's basically just a grandstand.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love that the narrative in this thread has turned from the Obama-McCain election to the average wages of plumbers, and their relative wage increases across geographic location, experience level, and in comparison to other jobs.

This election is hilarious. <3 this thread.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.eisenstadtgroup.com/2008/10/15/joe-the-plumber-wurzelbacher-related-to-charles-keating-oops/
    John McCain did great tonight in the debate. But every time John mentioned “Joe the Plumber,” some of us in the campaign banged our heads against the wall. If Steve Schmidt had any hair left, I hear he would have been pulling it out tonight. He reportedly screamed at John’s debate prep team tonight (out of earshot of reporters, of course). “You idiots - he’s related to Charles Keating… of the Keating Five scandal!” They thought they had a real live Joe Six-Pack who’s spurned Barack Obama’s tax plan. But what they forgot to do was check on Joe Wurzelbacher’s background.

Turns out that Joe Wurzelbacher from the Toledo event is a close relative of Robert Wurzelbacher of Milford, Ohio. Who’s Robert Wurzelbacher? Only Charles Keating’s son-in-law and the former senior vice president of American Continental, the parent company of the infamous Lincoln Savings and Loan. The now retired elder Wurzelbacher is also a major contributor to Republican causes giving well over $10,000 in the last few years.

Does any of this make Joe the Plumber a bad guy? Of course not. In fact, after that ill-fated night at the Watergate, he may finally be giving plumbers a good name. But at a debate where John goes full bore on Obama for guilt-by-association with William Ayers (and dodges a bullet by Obama not mentioning Keating Five), the press is going to bring it back front and center by midday tomorrow once they delve deeper into the most popular plumber in America.

Wow.

However, I'm unclear on what "close relative" entails. And the omission stands out here.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    galenblade wrote: »
    I love that the narrative in this thread has turned from the Obama-McCain election to the average wages of plumbers, and their relative wage increases across geographic location, experience level, and in comparison to other jobs.

This election is hilarious. <3 this thread.

What can you say? We're nerds. It's why I love this place (and especially these threads).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.eisenstadtgroup.com/2008/10/15/joe-the-plumber-wurzelbacher-related-to-charles-keating-oops/
    John McCain did great tonight in the debate. But every time John mentioned “Joe the Plumber,” some of us in the campaign banged our heads against the wall. If Steve Schmidt had any hair left, I hear he would have been pulling it out tonight. He reportedly screamed at John’s debate prep team tonight (out of earshot of reporters, of course). “You idiots - he’s related to Charles Keating… of the Keating Five scandal!” They thought they had a real live Joe Six-Pack who’s spurned Barack Obama’s tax plan. But what they forgot to do was check on Joe Wurzelbacher’s background.

Turns out that Joe Wurzelbacher from the Toledo event is a close relative of Robert Wurzelbacher of Milford, Ohio. Who’s Robert Wurzelbacher? Only Charles Keating’s son-in-law and the former senior vice president of American Continental, the parent company of the infamous Lincoln Savings and Loan. The now retired elder Wurzelbacher is also a major contributor to Republican causes giving well over $10,000 in the last few years.

Does any of this make Joe the Plumber a bad guy? Of course not. In fact, after that ill-fated night at the Watergate, he may finally be giving plumbers a good name. But at a debate where John goes full bore on Obama for guilt-by-association with William Ayers (and dodges a bullet by Obama not mentioning Keating Five), the press is going to bring it back front and center by midday tomorrow once they delve deeper into the most popular plumber in America.

Wow.

However, I'm unclear on what "close relative" entails. And the omission stands out here.

I will be highly surprised if this gets any play.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wow.

I wonder if someone on the McCain campaign knew this, and pushed for Joe the Plumber anyways.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wow.

Fuck, I hope the media doesn't do any of what that article says. Unless the dude was a plant, it's not necessary, it's not important, and it's not relevant.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It depends on what they mean by "close relative." A brother of the son-in-law of Keating? It'll get some play tonight since everyone remembers the silly "Joe the Plumber" stuff. Cousin? Eh. Half cousin once removed? Not so much.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, if Joe the Plumber is actually easy to link to Keating, that's not really airplay worthy, but obvious proof that God has a well known Liberal Bias.

kildy on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So he's like a nephew-in-law, a couple times removed?

I think knowing he's not going to vote either way is all we really need to know about him.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's like a free ride, when you've already paid.

Seriously, that's pretty ironic. That there's a connection at all, I mean.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A son-in-law of Charles H. Keating Jr. pleaded guilty today to three Federal fraud counts in connection with the collapse of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Assocation and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors as they pursue their case against Mr. Keating.

The guilty plea was the sixth from executives and business associates of Lincoln and its parent company, but was the first crack in what until now had been a united Keating family defense against the charges in the case.

Mr. Keating and a son, Charles H. Keating 3d, still face an array of fraud and racketeering charges brought against them in a 77-count Federal indictment issued last year. Their trial is scheduled for August in Federal District Court here. Mr. Keating was convicted last year on separate fraud counts in a California state court and is serving a 10-year prison sentence. Bad Loans to a Hotel

The guilty plea today was from Robert M. Wurzelbacher Jr., who had been a senior vice president of Lincoln's parent company, the American Continental Corporation of Phoenix, and the chief executive of an investment firm owned by Lincoln Savings. Mr. Wurzelbacher, who is 38 years old, is married to the former Elizabeth Keating, one of Mr. Keating's daughters.
    NYT 1992

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well you know Obama won't bring any of this up, because it'd be hypocritical to play the 'guilt-by-association' card here. And I doubt the media will make much of it, even if they catch a whiff of it.

Still, it is enough to raise an eyebrow...o.O

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hooray.

Obama is going to win.

Like I always said.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man, if Joe the Plumber is actually easy to link to Keating, that's not really airplay worthy, but obvious proof that God has a well known Liberal Bias.
    "And that's for trying to use me as a wedge issue, ya fucks."

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Wow.

I will be highly surprised if this gets any play.

This looks like more hysterical tinfoil haberdashery from the nutbars that brought you "Trig Palin is really Bristol's retarded spawn!"

That part of Ohio is lousy with Wurzelbachers, apparently. Unless there's a verifiable link, it's just more WHARRGARBL distracting everyone from the damn issues.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna be honest, when he first said the name, I thought he was making it up.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am going to post this here without watching it with sound. I'm not at home at the moment.

It's a test =D if people like it, then I'll know it's worth watching when I'm back at my own keyboard!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7co8Jn6c8

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Hooray.

Obama is going to win.

Like I always said.

Don't worry. We'll magically catch bin Laden on November 1st. :P

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's funny how it's related to Keating, but I think it's funnier that the guy isn't even registered to vote.

That reminds me, I wonder if Obama Girl is planning on voting this time?

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    what the fuck, fox? Way to be the state run media.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wow.

This was not the first thing I expected to see this morning. But it's strangely fitting.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I do like that we spent a long time talking about a semi fictional situation for an Ohio undecided voter who is not registered to vote in the Ohio elections.

If this is what we're competing for here (undecided unregistered voters past the deadline), I don't think it will close the gap at all in the final stretch. Mostly since they can't vote.

kildy on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    what the fuck, fox? Way to be the state run media.

At least they gave Steinberg a huge nose and ears.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I am going to post this here without watching it with sound. I'm not at home at the moment.

It's a test =D if people like it, then I'll know it's worth watching when I'm back at my own keyboard!

This is the stupidest thing anyone has ever posted in a Politics thread. If there's any justice in the world, your ass will be infracted until you can't sit down.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your infracted soul.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I do like that we spent a long time talking about a semi fictional situation for an Ohio undecided voter who is not registered to vote in the Ohio elections.

If this is what we're competing for here (undecided unregistered voters past the deadline), I don't think it will close the gap at all in the final stretch. Mostly since they can't vote.
    It's like the media sat a deformed doll in a chair and then pointed at us and said "THIS IS YOU!"

It is insulting and silly.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    These are not the actions of a man who thinks he has anything to fear.
    And Obama is weighing broadening a map that already appears big and red into four more states. A top adviser, former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, said Obama is considering expanding his active campaign back into North Dakota and Georgia, from which he’d shifted resources, and into the Appalachian heartland of West Virginia and Kentucky.

Kentucky.

Obama wants to make a play for KENTUCKY. Meanwhile...
    “If you look at the Republican-leaning states, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, Missouri, you get to 260,” explained McCain political director Mike DuHaime. “Then you got to put together 10 [more electoral votes]. It could be a win in Pennsylvania brings you over, it could be run the table in the Southwest, Iowa and Colorado, Minnesota by itself. There is no shortage of pathways if you hold those big Republican states.”

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, and as for Joe the Plumber, the Toledo Blade did in fact turn him up.
    Questions were being raised Thursday morning whether Mr. Wurzelbacher is a registered voter.

Linda Howe, executive director of the Lucas County Board of Elections, said a Samuel Joseph Worzelbacher, whose address and age match Joe the Plumber’s, registered in Lucas County on Sept. 10, 1992. He voted in his first primary on March 4, 2008, registering as a Republican.

Ms. Howe said that the name may be misspelled in the database.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »

This is the stupidest thing anyone has ever posted in a Politics thread. If there's any justice in the world, your ass will be infracted until you can't sit down.

D'aw. Bit harsh?

Anyhoo it has content. Just because I was being facetious about it doesn't mean it's not there =P

edit: Admittedly, I don't know what content :whistle:

I'm going to stop now.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »

D'aw. Bit harsh?

Anyhoo it has content. Just because I was being facetious about it doesn't mean it's not there =P

edit: Admittedly, I don't know what content :whistle:

I'm going to stop now.
    "I have superpowers."

"I have christmas ornaments. Billions of dollars worth."

"This orgy is a little hard to swallow."

Just a taste.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    And Obama is weighing broadening a map that already appears big and red into four more states. A top adviser, former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, said Obama is considering expanding his active campaign back into North Dakota and Georgia, from which he’d shifted resources, and into the Appalachian heartland of West Virginia and Kentucky.

Kentucky.

“If you look at the Republican-leaning states, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, Missouri, you get to 260,” explained McCain political director Mike DuHaime. “Then you got to put together 10 [more electoral votes]. It could be a win in Pennsylvania brings you over, it could be run the table in the Southwest, Iowa and Colorado, Minnesota by itself. There is no shortage of pathways if you hold those big Republican states.”

Someone should tell Mike DuHaime that NC, Virginia, Florida, and Missouri don't look so hot for McCain right now... Bad enough that if 538 is at all accurate, he's going to loose at least one, probably at least two.

At this point I don't even care much about the national polling and just want new state polls.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Kentucky.

Someone should tell Mike DuHaime that NC, Virginia, Florida, and Missouri don't look so hot for McCain right now... Bad enough that if 538 is at all accurate, he's going to loose at least one, probably at least two.

At this point I don't even care much about the national polling and just want new state polls.

I don't know about you, but I really want more Zogby Interactive polls. Those are the best!

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, and as for Joe the Plumber, the Toledo Blade did in fact turn him up.
    Questions were being raised Thursday morning whether Mr. Wurzelbacher is a registered voter.

Linda Howe, executive director of the Lucas County Board of Elections, said a Samuel Joseph Worzelbacher, whose address and age match Joe the Plumber’s, registered in Lucas County on Sept. 10, 1992. He voted in his first primary on March 4, 2008, registering as a Republican.

Ms. Howe said that the name may be misspelled in the database.

Fucking ACORN and their voter registration fraud.

kildy on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Posting this new Obama ad because the closing line is what puts it all together. It's nothing really new: Meanwhile, in Republican-land... I'll let you pick out why the ad isn't good for McCain either...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't care what Joe thinks, he's one person who is or isn't registered to vote, who happened to meet both candidates. He has an opinion, like his neighbor, Jimmy Janitor, or his wife, Susy Housewife. Why is his opinion more important than theirs or mine, Patrick McPizza?

never die on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Posting this new Obama ad because the closing line is what puts it all together. It's nothing really new: Meanwhile, in Republican-land... I'll let you pick out why the ad isn't good for McCain either...

Well, I think (or hope at least) they meant "His first crisis ever, while in an executive capacity, would be in the presidents chair" and not "this would be his first crisis in the presidents chair."

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.