As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like a thing unto iron!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, #4 was soooo good. Every bit of it. I especially enjoyed the quasi-steampunk/pulp origin of Orson. I hope he doesn't die at the end of the arc. I'm afraid he will be used to open the idea of the Iron Fist Legacy to Danny and the reader, show some new uses for the chi, and then die in the big Steel Serpent/Hydra showdown so Danny can live.

He is a great character, and should stay around. The chemistry between him and Danny is great. And if he doesn't stay around, he needs to not die, but just wander off, so we can see more of him later. He is a very unique character, with the pulp soldier/martial artist hero thing. I just have this sense of dread that Orson will die. :-(

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    His father's pepper-box pistol was a nice touch.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Does anyone have an avatar-able image of the Shou-Lao the Undying tattoo/sigil/icon, as draw by Aja?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ok, the new preview pages from another multi-boarder blow this one out of the water.
    Danny Rand goes by a few names. Hero For Hire, the Living Weapon and most recently New Avenger and fill-in Daredevil. However, he is best known as the immortal Iron Fist, and he is quickly realizing just how immortal the legacy of the Iron Fist really is.

During his tussle with international terrorist organization HYDRA, Danny has found a friend in Orson Randall, the last man to carry the mantle of Iron Fist before Rand. IMMORTAL IRON FIST has shown us that legacy of the Iron Fist goes way back. To be exact, there have been 66 Iron Fists to bear the power before Danny Rand. We have been shown bits and pieces of this long and detailed history, and editor Warren Simons says that we will see much more as the story continues. "Yeah, we're planning on peeling back the history of the mantle in layers throughout the first few arcs," says Simons. "As Danny learns about his own past, the reader will also be learning about the mantle of the Iron Fist, and what possessing these extraordinary powers has meant to these warriors. It's pretty brutal; it hasn't ended well for a lot of these guys, as we've hinted at throughout the first arc. K'un-Lun, for all its majesty, is a pretty tough place. Wu Ao-Shi, who we last saw kicking the living crap out of bloodthirsty pirates in issue # 2, will be the central focus in issue # 7. We're going to explore how our girl became 'the Pirate Queen of Pinghai Bay,' as Orson Randall refers to her in issue 4."

Despite this rich history, Iron Fist has been out of the spotlight of the Marvel Universe for some time. During the "Devil In Cell Block D" story arc in the pages of DAREDEVIL, Danny Rand traded in his slippers and sash for a billy club and horns, impersonating the Man Without Fear in Hell's Kitchen while Matt Murdock was incarcerated. Now back to being Iron Fist full time, Danny Rand is kung fu kicking evil in droves. Simons couldn't be happier. "I am extremely proud of the book, and think that Matt [Fraction] & Ed [Brubaker] have done a really wonderful job bringing some juice back to the character. I think it's a good read. And [David] Aja, Travel [Foreman], and Matt [Hollingsworth] have really packed as equal a punch with the art as the guys have with the scripts. Aja has just been ridiculously good. You see the thought and effort he puts into every panel. David never ever cuts a corner, and his pages are wonderful. And working with icons like John Severin and Russ Heath has been a real treat."

Completely back in the saddle, Rand is learning some new Iron Fist abilities from the mysterious Iron Fist Orson Randall [#65 if you're keeping score]. Abilities like the Hypnotic Fist are just the beginning, says Simons. "You'll have to wait and see, but I gotta say, how absolutely freaking cool was it to see Orson Randall channel his Iron Fist powers through a gun?"

There is some high-kicking action to come. With HYRDA problems and Davos the Steel Serpent, Danny Rand will have to fight them off while learning about his own history and the legacy of the Iron Fist. As a son of K'un L'un, Rand will find himself drawn back to the mystical city as the story continues. Simons tells us to brace ourselves. "Get ready for a massive combat tournament featuring the Immortal Warriors of the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven," he says. "To paraphrase the Beastie Boys, things are going to get very hectic very quickly for our boy Danny Rand."

Get karate chopped in IMMORTAL IRON FIST #5 by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and David Aja on sale May 2.

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #5
    Written by ED BRUBAKER AND MATT FRACTION
    Pencils by DAVID AJA & TRAVEL FOREMAN
    Cover by DAVID AJA
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    FOC- 4/19/07, On Sale- 5/09/07

THAT IS TOMORROW! DO NOT FORGET!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That preview kicks all kinds of ass. Very excited for tomorrow now.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Man, they're going off the rails on a crazy train.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I picked up Issue 1 on saturday. It was 32 flavors of awesome.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I picked up Issue 1 on saturday. It was 32 flavors of awesome.

Man, talk about late to the party. Fortunately for you, ain't no party like an Immortal Iron Fist party, 'cause an Immortal Iron Fist party don't stop.

Yes, bitches, I said that. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am completely fine being late to the Immortal iron fist party, because it's so worth just being there.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    oh god, the panels where the two hydra guys just watch danny kick a dude through a train are great

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man

MAN

The new issue was awesome.

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    luke cage must know a hell of a piercing shop to be able to punch an earring through there

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    luke cage must know a hell of a piercing shop to be able to punch an earring through there

clip-ons.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    that seems like a pretty poser thing for luke cage to do

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Wolverine?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe they were put in before he got his unbreakable skin?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That may be, but who would dare call out someone with unbreakable skin? That, or wolverine is now licensed to pierce.

Also, who is the asian chick in that scene? I see an asian girl with a sword, and all i can think of is psylocke.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

That may be, but who would dare call out someone with unbreakable skin? That, or wolverine is now licensed to pierce.

Also, who is the asian chick in that scene? I see an asian girl with a sword, and all i can think of is psylocke.
    You mean Echo? The one who
    Stabbedystabbed Doc Strange?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What? THAT'S Echo? Wait...so when does this take place? I think its after registration, so that means Echo is in japan - not to mention seriously fucked up. I'm a little confused on whats going on now. Oh well, she was only in like 2 panels and didn't say anything - I guess its not a big deal.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What? THAT'S Echo? Wait...so when does this take place? I think its after registration, so that means Echo is in japan - not to mention seriously fucked up. I'm a little confused on whats going on now. Oh well, she was only in like 2 panels and didn't say anything - I guess its not a big deal.
    Basically
    She had been taking out the Japanese Underworld under the Ronin Identity for a while, got the shit kicked out of her by Elektra and the Hand, was brainwashed, the Avengers came to rescue her and went to the Silver Samurai's house. That's where this issue picked up.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Basically
    She had been taking out the Japanese Underworld under the Ronin Identity for a while, got the shit kicked out of her by Elektra and the Hand, was brainwashed, the Avengers came to rescue her and went to the Silver Samurai's house. That's where this issue picked up.

...Dude, I'm talking about Immortal Iron Fist. Not New Avengers.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Basically

D'oh. Wrong thread.

That's one of the Crow Mother's "daughters" Davos uses them for power.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Basically

D'oh. Wrong thread.

nonono. I'm talking about this scene. The one you posted earlier
    untitledqm2.jpg

who is THAT asian chick?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Basically

D'oh. Wrong thread.

nonono. I'm talking about this scene. The one you posted earlier

who is THAT asian chick?
    Ah, that one's Colleen Wing, friend of Misty Knight and Iron Fist.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Awesome. I'm glad we got that cleared up. Thanks ;P

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry I couldn't be less retarted sooner.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This issue makes me think that the current arc is pre-Civil War.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This issue makes me think that the current arc is pre-Civil War.

*buzzer*

Danny and Luke mention registration in #2, I believe. If not, it's in #3.
    It's post-Civil War.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man this issue was soooo good. It seemed to be over way too fast. :-(

I am really afraid that Orson will die some time very soon though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quick Comment: I love imbuing bullets with the energy of the Iron Fist.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Quick Comment: I love imbuing bullets with the energy of the Iron Fist.

I know, as if a bullet wasn't dangerous enough, now they're dragon bullets.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am really afraid that Orson will die some time very soon though.
    Orson will probably bite it next issue. I'd imagine he'll sacrifice himself fighting the Steel Serpent to buy Danny time to escape. It will be sad to see him go, since he turned out to be a really likable character.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Orson will probably bite it next issue. I'd imagine he'll sacrifice himself fighting the Steel Serpent to buy Danny time to escape. It will be sad to see him go, since he turned out to be a really likable character.

I'm really hoping they won't go in such an obvious direction. I mean, the old, "cool, grizzled mentor dies defending his young apprentice" shtick is a pretty old cliche. Of course, it seems like the logical direction for the plot to move in, but I like it when stories buck tradition.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Iroh wrote: »

I'm really hoping they won't go in such an obvious direction. I mean, the old, "cool, grizzled mentor dies defending his young apprentice" shtick is a pretty old cliche. Of course, it seems like the logical direction for the plot to move in, but I like it when stories buck tradition.

I still think it would be awesome if Danny just hits a button in the elevator and the doors close and take him somewhere else in the city with a bed.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I really hope he survives and does not pull a Kenobi. That would be very cliche. I hope he stays around the Marvel Universe for a long time. He really keeps the legacy thing going on, just being around. I have been wondering if the Iron Fists from the past might still be alive, maybe in K'un L'un or somewhere. Orson was born at the end of the 19th century, and he looks to only be about 40. If they don't die in combat, are Iron Fists Immortal?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Umm......

Do you mean.... like.... Immortal Iron Fists?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The power is immortal. The wielder is not. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a bunch of other Iron Fists.

Orson has to die. His use of the Iron Fist conflicts with Danny's. There's only supposed to be one champion of one of the Seven Cities at any one time. One of them cannot continue to live, and I doubt they are planning on killing Danny.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They may not kill off Orson, I remeber Fraction saying how they want to tell some more stories of his from the war via annuals and the such.

However #7's about the Pirate Queen Iron Fist who is most certainly dead, so take this as you will.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SO.... is there a dude with the Immortal Iron Leg, or Immortal Iron Knees? Is the dude with the ladies one of them?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg