As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like a thing unto iron!

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Orson
    Had the best last words ever.

"Danny....don't be an idiot."

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Iron Fist is one of those comics that, when I put it down each month, I say, "Damn, this comic is awesome."

(Also on that list: Ultimate Spider-man, Robin, and Daredevil.)

I liked the little peek into Orson's past. Is it just me, or does that shake up Danny's family tree a little bit?
    The Wendell kid is Danny's dad, right? So how did he end up with a company and a family fortune if he grew up in the mountains of Tibet?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love how Iron Fist can be hilarious, awesome, touching, and crazy at the same time, and consistently. This book just keeps topping itself every issue.

I could not stop laughing at the Old-School Heroes for Hire ("Awww Yeahh!")

The whole fight (which I guess was technically the whole story arc. Seriously, it never slowed down.) was crazy badass.

Orson
    His death was a called shot as soon as he started 'training' Danny, but man I wish we had just been set up to believe that. Kinda annoying that it was predictable, but at the same time totally fitting. One of the few badass characters that I will not bitch about their death.

Also, "Don't be an idiot." Awesome.

And does anyone else think of Bruce Willis when they read Orson's character?
    Briareos wrote: »
    Iron Fist is one of those comics that, when I put it down each month, I say, "Damn, this comic is awesome."

(Also on that list: Ultimate Spider-man, Robin, and Daredevil.)

I liked the little peek into Orson's past. Is it just me, or does that shake up Danny's family tree a little bit?
    The Wendell kid is Danny's dad, right? So how did he end up with a company and a family fortune if he grew up in the mountains of Tibet?

If I recall correctly, in regards to Wendell
    I believe he starts training to be the Iron Fist, but then abandons the city and goes off to make his fortune. Danny got there when his father took them to try to find it again.

Skullo on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I see. Let's see if I can reconstruct this history:
    Orson becomes the Iron Fist. He travels the world, fights in wars, hangs around in Tibet, trains Wendell, and then falls off the map, going into hiding from his masters. Eventually, he is hunted down, and ends up coming back to encounter Danny, give him the book, and some final training. That about where we are?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. His pops crash-landed a steampunk zeppelin into K-un-L'un at the close of the 19th century, with pregnant Mrs Randall in tow. Orson was raised there, became champion and therefor Iron Fist, and was sent out to world. He fought in World War One, suffered post-traumatic stress disorder (back before it was diagnosed) and picked up an opium habit. He was summoned to participate in the martial arts tournament, but fled Kun Lun. He then disappeared around 1933, before WWII.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. His pops crash-landed a steampunk zeppelin into K-un-L'un at the close of the 19th century, with pregnant Mrs Randall in tow. Orson was raised there, became champion and therefor Iron Fist, and was sent out to world. He fought in World War One, suffered post-traumatic stress disorder (back before it was diagnosed) and picked up an opium habit. He was summoned to participate in the martial arts tournament, but fled Kun Lun. He then disappeared around 1933, before WWII.
    Shell Shock!

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bump for awesome.

Two things!

Okay, I was checking out old Iron Fist continuity and realizing how much horrible shit has been done with the character. Anyway, off the wiki page I found this.

The whole idea that Wendell Rand was an American explorer who had been ADOPTED by Lord Tuan as his heir after saving him and his biological son from being killed by Shou-Lao is a retcon that I have never liked or accepted. I don't know Jo Duffy so I can't comment on her character but for some reason her retcon has always struck me as, well, spiteful. I can't explain why I feel that way, I just do. However, since my feelings shouldn't have any bearing on this matter, I have two non-emotional reasons for rejecting this retcon. First, the idea that Wendell Rand was an American has never been substantiated in any other story. In fact, there have been no in-story references to that idea since PM&IF #75. It has only appeared in some issues of the OHotMU and not in all of them.
    Second, the idea itself is inconsistent with "facts" established in earlier Iron Fist stories. Two good examples come to mind. In Iron Fist I#6, Lei Kung accuses Yu-Ti of violating one of the laws of K'un-Lun. When Yu-Ti mentions that he IS the law in the city, Lei Kung points out that "those laws say that we shall be ruled by the first son of the first son" and then asks, "Were you not BORN Lord Tuan's second son?" Okay, by itself this isn't absolute proof. Just because the current Yu-Ti was Tuan's second son doesn't mean that Tuan's first son had to be Wendell. Maybe Tuan's oldest son died before Wendell arrived in K'un-Lun. But then there's Marvel Team-Up I#64 and that flashback to how Davos came to be banished. Here's a quote: "In all K'un-Lun, only one man was Davos' equal: Wendell Rand-K'ai, FIRST-BORN son of Tuan, who was then Yu-Ti, the August Personage in Jade." For me, these two quotes, taken together, ARE convincing proof that Wendell Rand-K'ai was Tuan first-born son and heir. Many of the "immortals of K'un-Lun" hold "Earther mortals" in contempt and Davos was not an exception. He would never consider Wendell as Tuan's first-born son unless he couldn't avoid it (i.e. unless it was true). Also, I think it unlikely that an American who had been trapped in K'un-Lun because he had been so seriously injured that he couldn't be moved would recover and develop fighting skills that were so great that he could defeat (one of) the best warriors of K'un-Lun. Sure, Danny did so but he was VERY strongly motivated to do so whereas Wendell had a wife and daughter to occupy his time. Why would he bother training...unless he WAS from K'un-Lun and, because of his upbringing, just couldn't help himself?
    Okay, I think that I've demonstrated that Yu-Ti's story about Wendell being Tuan's adopted son and heir was definitely a lie. After all, he certainly lied when he claimed that Wendell had chosen to leave K'un-Lun to "return to Earth" after Shakirah's death since IF #6 showed him him reminiscing about how he had driven both Wendell and Wendell's child with Shakirah from K'un-Lun. So, if he did lie, what was his motivation? The simple answer is that he wanted to hold on to his "heart's desire" - his position as Yu-Ti and rulership of K'un-Lun. As Tuan's second son, Wendell's brother had essentially usurped the throne from Danny, the true heir. By telling Danny that his father was really born on Earth and not in K'un-Lun, Yu-Ti hoped to strengthen Danny's bond to Earth while weakening his connection to K'un-Lun, thus reducing the chances that Danny would decide to stay in the city and learn that he was the rightful heir.

tl;dr: essentially, originally Wendell was supposed to be the son of the previous Yun-Ti - making him and Danny the legitimate heirs to the throne of K'un-Lun. And that the Marvel editors are Bad People for changing it. And also this explains why Wendell and Danny are such badasses, because it's ridiculous to think that an American could just stumble in there and be awesome and The Iron Fist.

Which is all well and good, but I ask you, is it not MORE ridiculous for the son of the previous Yun-Ti to be a motherfucking white man!?

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Also, it seems like Wendell's fortune or whatever will be gone into at some point, so might as well start looking into this stuff, as convoluted as it is.

Also: does anyone have a high res image of Iron Fist symbol? I want to make a shirt. Because I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't smart enough to make one.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, I want an Iron Fist shirt. Sadly, I cannot help you with the image request.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    That would be an epic shirt, but no image here. Maybe get one of the AC dudes to draw it for you and scan it.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This comic is so fucking good.

Also: what the fuck is going on?

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In regards to the tournament, or to the annual?
    Or in general?

If it's about the new book, I can't answer because I'm picking my shit up in 18 hours.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hahaha, yeah. Today's Lunch break was the best lunch break ever. I only had a Bologna Sandwich, but I had 2 awesome Iron Fist Issues.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    God I hate you all for reading this before I could.
    This is something to recommend whenever someone says "What should I read?" Don't even ask them what they like first, just go, "Get Iron Fist. Now."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, for reals. Brubaker was hitting on all cylinders with his books this month. The annual was the best book I read this week, and I love how it dovetailed so smoothly with this month's regular issue.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, for reals. Brubaker was hitting on all cylinders with his books this month. The annual was the best book I read this week, and I love how it dovetailed so smoothly with this month's regular issue.

Fraction does the majority of the work. Bru helps with plotting and Fraction finishes up the scripting.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's a little after 11 right now. I have about 4 hours until I get out of school and get to the mall.
    That's too long by 3 hours and 59 minutes.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The style and substance of the annual was so *not* what I was expecting.... yet it was soooo good.

What was it - Gentlemen of a Certain Deadly Persuasion? It made my heart sing.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I enjoyed the annual, but not as much as I thought I would. Too much Chaykin.

The Fat Cobra fight was pretty cool. It was neat how they were all the sudden in a city.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So how about the Immortal Iron Fist book, eh?
    Immortal Iron Fist #10 preview!

I nearly through up when the Bride did that. Dog Brother #1 looks so damn awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man, this book is so cool

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    man, this book is so cool

Understatement of the year. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    man, this book is sooo cool

better?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    man, this book is the best thing ever

better?

This is the correct level of praise for Immortal Iron Fist.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    but mask, it features somebody that isn't Black Panther.
    ;-)

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Which makes my assessment all the more amazing, I'm sure. Historically speaking, BP has had a run in or two with Danny, and it'd be pretty awesome if they somehow crossed paths again in Immortal.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah it'd be nice to see T'Challa written well.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

That's pretty easy to see, just read the current run of Black Panther or McDuffie's Fantastic Four.

Cue snarky comments about Hudlin. :roll:

wwtMask on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Marvel needs to have a crazy martial arts tournament. I'd love to see every character from that particular niche of the universe, heroes and villains included, come together for an Enter the Dragon homage.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

That's pretty easy to see, just read the current run of Black Panther or McDuffie's Fantastic Four.

Cue snarky comments about Hudlin. :roll:

Oh you know I was just kidding because I love House Party.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Marvel needs to have a crazy martial arts tournament. I'd love to see every character from that particular niche of the universe, heroes and villains included, come together for an Enter the Dragon homage.

God this would own. Hell it'd be the bee's knees in DC too.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I would buy a pulp comic about Orson and his motley crew of adventurers.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If there is any character we need more of in comics, it's gotta be Barko.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    If there is any character we need more of in comics, it's gotta be Barko.

yes this is the correct opinion.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I would suggest that any fans of the Iron Fist Annual check out Manhattan Guardian #4, which features a similar Golden Age Adventure Gang. Much like all of Seven Soldiers, it is beyond awesome.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And infinitely more tragic.

Also everyone should be reading Lobster Johnson for similar reasons.

august on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No one else get this week's issue?
    It was great and all, but for some reason it felt like filler and I was pissed they jobbed Dog Brother #1 off panel to the Bride of Spiders.

Also, anyone familiar with Iron Fist's past to know who Prince of Orphans might be? He knows Thunderer and is 'friends' with him enough that he knows who he is under those robes and can speak freely with him. And is Thunderer planning to take over or something? What's up with the secret society with Rand's grand daughter and what not? Is this all new stuff or did I miss the boat on past Iron Fist stories being referenced?

KVW on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Most of this is based on the first run of Iron Fist, so bear with me. It looks to me like Yu-ti is being set up as a partial villain, as he was in the initial seires, while Lei Kung seems to be going against whatever machinations Yu-ti is up to. I don't believe that Lei Kung is attempting a coup, but he's got good reason to distrust Yu-ti when it comes to Danny. Yu-ti and Wendell Rand were brothers and supposedly Wendell would've been the righful leader of K'un L'un (and therefore Danny ought to be now).

wwtMask on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Prince of Orphans Spoilers
    I'm thinking it almost has to be Wendell.

The newest issue was terrific. I really hope we see more of Fat Cobra, Bride of Nine Spiders, and Dog Brother #1 after this arc. They all deserve their own solo issues / mini series.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man I need to get to the store!

DouglasDanger on