As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually Maximus makes a lot of sense, and that looks kind of like him. Plus, he has Purple Man's powerset anyway.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Killmonger_001.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are we sure Doom is even there? When did he get glowing red sunglasses? And it doesn't really look like he's wearing a mask either.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He's the one in the middle at the bottom, sweetheart.

The one with red eyes is The Hood.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just don't want it to be Maximus because he's boring.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ooooooooh righto! I thought the middle bottom guy was The Hood, so I was just examining the other guy who I wasn't sure about.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My thinking on it is, if this is supposed to be an "evil" version of the Illuminati, with villainous power players, then it makes no sense for that guy to be Purple Man. He's just too psycho to be a major power player in the Marvel Universe, and I just can't see most of those characters ageeing to to work with him (ESPESCIALLY Namor and EMMA).

But...Bendis has a boner for the Purple Man, so it probably is him, sense be damned!

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My thinking on it is, if this is supposed to be an "evil" version of the Illuminati, with villainous power players, then it makes no sense for that guy to be Purple Man. He's just too psycho to be a major power player in the Marvel Universe, and I just can't see most of those characters ageeing to to work with him (ESPESCIALLY Namor and EMMA).

But...Bendis has a boner for the Purple Man, so it probably is him, sense be damned!

If you're putting together a secret group to manipulate events from behind the scenes though, someone with mind control powers is probably not a terrible idea. Although I guess they already have Emma/whoeversheis. Isn't the blonde woman supposed to be an Emma from an alternate universe or something batshit like that?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nope, real Emma. Fraction (I think it was Fraction) said so in an interview.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm. I could've sworn at one point it was confirmed it was an alternate Emma, whose name I can't remember but it was a bizarre series of letters and numbers. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about, otherwise I might just be going crazy.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Hmm. I could've sworn at one point it was confirmed it was an alternate Emma, whose name I can't remember but it was a bizarre series of letters and numbers. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about, otherwise I might just be going crazy.

that was never confirmed, people just threw it out there as a possibility

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that was me suggesting it may have been Sat-Yr-9 (actually an alternate version of Captain Britain's squeeze), as IIRC she is/was White Queen at one point.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone else kind of hope Dro'ge makes it through all this OK?

Also that the nameless super skrull volunteer guy that Veranke commended, from that New Avengers issue a few back, who was the only survivor, is actually the old king waiting to resume leadership of the skrulls?

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't even know what you are taaaaaaaaaaalking about. Who's Dro'ge? What nameless skrull?

But it's fairly conceivable for another Skrull to swoop in upon Veranke's defeat/death and try to take the reigns.

Faynor on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tom Brevoorts Marvel blog has some uncolored preview art for Secret Invasion #8, Mighty Avengers #20, and New Avengers #48.

Here's the link: http://www.marvel.com/blogs/Tom_Brevoort/
    I don't like what's implied in the Mighty Avengers image.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Tom Brevoorts Marvel blog has some uncolored preview art for Secret Invasion #8, Mighty Avengers #20, and New Avengers #48.

Here's the link: http://www.marvel.com/blogs/Tom_Brevoort/
    I don't like what's implied in the Mighty Avengers image.
    It's talking about the shit he's gone through. Cap wasn't a skrull.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't even know what you are taaaaaaaaaaalking about. Who's Dro'ge? What nameless skrull?
    I have now found the reference i was talking about! New Avengers #40.

Dro'ge is Royal Priest of the Sciences - the weedy Skrull that set most of this stuff up, technically.

The nameless skrull is on page 17 of that issue. My suspicion comes from Veranke asking who this fellow was, this volunteer - he avoids the question, and is labelled the only survivor of the Galactus attack.

I hypothesise that this is actually King Dorrek! Twist!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's Leinil Yu's un-colored variant for Secret Invasion #8:

http://leinilyu.deviantart.com/art/Issue-8-variant-103480408

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, except for his bizarre tendency to draw feet like Lefield, I love Yu's artwork.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Liefield draws feet?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Liefield draws feet?

By accident, occasionally.

liefeld%20005.jpg

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In the MyCup'O Bendis that came out today(BMB is subbing for Joe this week) a Void-related question was asked. Here it is, cut-and-pasted from said blog:
    Mr. Bendis, when we going to see the Void again? When will we have an explanation of what happened to the Void and Lindy?

BB: It's a little complicated, but…The Void is the Skrulls.

JM: Huh?

BB: And the Skrulls is the Void, who is the Sentry, who is Lindy. Who is the Darkness, who is Galactus, who is Darkseid, who is the Anti-Life Equation. It's all connected.

JM: Sounds complicated.

BB: Well, we'll get Grant Morrison to figure it all out! Seriously, it's hard to talk about certain characters without spoiling the end of Secret Invasion, but that issue will be resolved momentarily. And rest assured, we're not just gonna drop it. We're trying to build something you just haven't seen before, a character with that level of power, with all these damaging psychoses and problems. It's daunting to write, but fun.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    fray wrote: »

If you're putting together a secret group to manipulate events from behind the scenes though, someone with mind control powers is probably not a terrible idea. Although I guess they already have Emma/whoeversheis. Isn't the blonde woman supposed to be an Emma from an alternate universe or something batshit like that?

Of course it could be Norman Osborn.

In a way, he's like the Chuck Norris of the Marvel Universe.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Eh...

Andy Diggle seems to be priming him to be President Obama's right-hand man on superhuman issues. That seems a little too high-profile to join this club.

BTW, I know Diggle tweeted that he changed a reference to Obama from a generic "new President", but really... Given that godawfully intrusive application he has for high-level appointees, I can imagine that if Norman answered it honestly it would probably drive the reviewer insane.

Oh, and that Yu variant cover is spectacular. And, yay! Ms. Marvel!

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In the MyCup'O Bendis that came out today(BMB is subbing for Joe this week) a Void-related question was asked. Here it is, cut-and-pasted from said blog:
    Mr. Bendis, when we going to see the Void again? When will we have an explanation of what happened to the Void and Lindy?

BB: It's a little complicated, but…The Void is the Skrulls.

JM: Huh?

BB: And the Skrulls is the Void, who is the Sentry, who is Lindy. Who is the Darkness, who is Galactus, who is Darkseid, who is the Anti-Life Equation. It's all connected.

JM: Sounds complicated.

BB: Well, we'll get Grant Morrison to figure it all out! Seriously, it's hard to talk about certain characters without spoiling the end of Secret Invasion, but that issue will be resolved momentarily. And rest assured, we're not just gonna drop it. We're trying to build something you just haven't seen before, a character with that level of power, with all these damaging psychoses and problems. It's daunting to write, but fun.
    Oh god. Why do I feel so terribly apprehensive?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because that's the sound of your favorite character getting bent over for the retcon of a lifetime?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sentry's boring anyway. He's like Superman with issues.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Because that's the sound of your favorite character getting bent over for the retcon of a lifetime?

Not quite sure I follow, who's the character getting the retcon, sentry or void? Also, I'm more worried about the void having a major impact at the end of SI despite him only showing up in a Mighty Avengers tie-in.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well last I checked they were two halves of the same crazy person, so both? And yeah, I'm really surprised that we haven't had any follow up so far on the Void stuff, for people not reading Mighty Avengers last we checked Sentry freaked out and flew away, right?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well last I checked they were two halves of the same crazy person, so both? And yeah, I'm really surprised that we haven't had any follow up so far on the Void stuff, for people not reading Mighty Avengers last we checked Sentry freaked out and flew away, right?

I could see that Bendis may go for a surprise, like the Joker/Alexander Luthor scene from Infinite Crisis 7. Difference is, the Joker actually showed up in IC 2 and he didn't affect the whole ending, just Luthor's fate. We'll see I guess.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Probably.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I could see that Bendis may go for a surprise, like the Joker/Alexander Luthor scene from Infinite Crisis 7. Difference is, the Joker actually showed up in IC 2 and he didn't affect the whole ending, just Luthor's fate. We'll see I guess.

The Sentry was in Secret Invasion. In fact he was part of SI more than Joker was part of IC.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: View Post
    quote:
    The Sentry was in Secret Invasion. In fact he was part of SI more than Joker was part of IC.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oops, sorry about that post. My computer doesn't seem to be letting me post edits for some reason. Anyway, I know the Sentry has shown up in SI but the Void has not, and I don't even want the Sentry to play a big part in the ending either.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the Void and the Sentry are the same person, and he was name dropped in SI

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Void appeared via Skrull. And the Skrull convinced Sentry that the invasion was all his fault... could go somewhere interesting I suppose

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    We know that whatever happens after Secret Invasion the Sentry is at least supportive of it, judging from the Punisher solicit in January.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone mentioned to Marvel that they don't actually need a whiny Superman who forgot to take his meds in their universe?

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh piss off. You can say that half the characters ever created aren't 'necessary'.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone mentioned to Marvel that they don't actually need a whiny Superman who forgot to take his meds in their universe?

Bendis has said that Sentry will no longer be whiny after SI and I hope it's true. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Sentry became a sort of villain for awhile, or at least is blindly supportive of the "Dark Reign".

wirehead26 on
This discussion has been closed.