Options

The Play Station Network Thread (PSN)

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
This is the thread for the Playstation Network and all the games, movies, television shows, and themes you can download from it! HOORAY! Here's a list of all the games and various things released for the PSN:

Current List of PSN Games

Play games like Wipeout HD!
Wipeout-HD--3.jpg

Play crazy artsy shit like Linger In Shadows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KABiB9r_Ugg

Or just buy movies and television shows for use on your PS3!

Venture%20Bros.png

You could also be like me and not read the descriptions on the things you're buying, therefore purchasing the remake of the original Prince of Persia thinking that it's really an updated version of Prince of Persia: Sands of time. That's also really why I made this thread. The lengths I will go to in order to bitch about my own stupidity...

So talk about it, people!

Didgeridoo on

• Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There you go! Now... I need to buy some PSN stuff. Reccomend me some good games, as I have a PS3 and no PS3 / PSN games (just bought it about 2 weeks ago).

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let me list my picks for you:

WipEout HD

That's all you need, really.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Congratulations on the PS3! You're running with the big dogs now. :P

As to recommendations, I think one of the games every PS3 owner should play is fl0w. It's sort of weird in that it's hardly a game, but it's beautiful and relaxing. Hard to describe. I'd also recommend any of the Pixeljunk games, and Super Stardust HD. Super Stardust is a great game sort of in the style of the classic arcade shooters. You may want to get that one first, actually.

I'd also say you should first buy the full Ratchet and Clank game on Blu-ray, then get the follow-up PSN game. That one was a blast.

This has nothing to do with downloadable games, but you should also pick up Little Big Planet as soon as it comes out, that one looks like a must-buy for everyone with a PS3. And it also makes great use of the established PSN to let people play with each other.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn it, I keep forgetting that Wipeout is out. I need to get that sometime soon.

Everyday Shooter is good, Calling All Cars is decent, all the Pixeljunk games are good too, and unlike most of the PSN games, I do believe all of them have a demo.

Actually, storewise, that's probably my biggest problem with the PSN. There aren't demos for a good majority of the games that they have for sale, and a lot of them are fairly different little games, so it's hard to just blindly throw down the money.

Aoi on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty impressed by the navigability of PSN. In it's current state (and I only got a PS3 with the MGS4 bundle), it is much easier to get around than the 360 marketplace, although they are also making inroads. The only downside is that I can't see to separate out just PS3 demos from the PSP demos. No biggie tho.

So far, I've tended towards demos and XBLA purchases more than PSN for now, but I'm not sure why. I think it's just that I've had the 360 longer, and I'm not used to thinking of having the PSN as an option. I have been playing the hell out of MM9 on there, though!

I really like the freedom to buy larger games on the PS3 over PSN. Like the Ratchet and Clank episode. That was great, and without really worrying about size and such. I also like the very clean PS3 interface. Sure, I can go to the store, but even then there is something very logical about how it is all arranged. I never find I push the wrong button and end up on the wrong tab, or some such.

I don't mean to do a compare/contrast with the 360, it's just been the most of my experience. I like them both, and I'm certainly not trying to start some sort of slinging match.

Wait, I just reread the OP... did they put the original PoP remake on the PS3 as well? I freakin' LOVED that on XBLA, and I'm really glad they made it. Of course, I played the original PoP when I was little, and I can see that if you hadn't ever played it, you wouldn't appreciate it so much.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bleh, i'm so so on the navigation of the psn store. Needs a demo section, I hate having to trawl through all the categories looking for game demos.

Also, the whole movies thing is a joke. Once downloaded, that's it... DRM'd to fuck.

Oh and yes... WipEout HD is awesome.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have so much DLC from the PSN.

Flow. It's a great relaxing game.
    Super Star Dust. Beautiful Shooter.
    Everyday Shooter. Great musical experience.
    Pain. Fun game to whip out and show friends. The amusment park added a whole bunch more fun.
    Commando. Fun multiplayer fun.
    Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty. Great platformer.
    Bowling. I actually dig it. Another decent party game.

My brother Swears by PixelJunk Eden. And Elefunk is supposedly solid too. Echocrome is a good puzzler. And Puzzle Quest is great!

I also accidentally got the Price of Persia game. But I was drunk so I have an excuse!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just downloaded Super Puzzle Fighter HD; had to apply an update right after. I loathe updates. I love Puzzle Fighter.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    spacepotatospacepotato Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I'd also say you should first buy the full Ratchet and Clank game on Blu-ray, then get the follow-up PSN game. That one was a blast.

Is the downloadable R&C game stand-alone? I rented, beat, and loved R&C, but I don't have the disc anymore. If I can play the PSN one without the original game's disc in the system, that'd be dandy.

spacepotato on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flow is dumb... super stardust is better.

I for one wish that if there can't be a demo for every game out there, at least put that handy snippet of play video for each one.

I hate buying a game where I have no idea what it will play or look like.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that’s one of the best things about XBLA - everything has a demo. It’s jsut silly that the same isn\'t true on PSN.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Is the downloadable R&C game stand-alone? I rented, beat, and loved R&C, but I don't have the disc anymore. If I can play the PSN one without the original game's disc in the system, that'd be dandy.

It's continues the plot from the disc game, but you don't need to have the disc or even have played it.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Six wrote: »
    Yeah, that’s one of the best things about XBLA - everything has a demo. It’s jsut silly that the same isn\'t true on PSN.

Ummm for the most part there are demos. The only PSN game I can think of that doesn't have one is WipEout HD. Anyway - OP, you forgot some biggies!

-Warhawk, man!

-Siren: Blood Curse.

What's that? You don't have Siren? Oh, that's too bad. Now I have to spray this lighter fluid on your face and light it on fire. Don't worry, I'll put you out before you die - I want you to live.

But everyone must know. Everyone must see this horrible scar so they will know you don't have Siren.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love Pixel Junk Eden. One of my favorite games.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't think of any disk based games for the PS3 I really want, but the Siren remake, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, and the Pixeljunk games are all very tempting.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lots of games have demos, yes, but many of those demos are released at some point after the game is released.

XBLAs hard rule that every game has a demo at the time of release is awesome. PSN needs that.

Six on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Monkeydrye, can you tell me more about Pain? I sort of dismissed it when it came our because it didn't grab my attention.

OH GOD, Chance, WHY?!!

Also, tell me more about this game, Siren Blood Curse. I haven't heard much about it. So it's good?

And yeah, i really like the interface used for the PSN, and also for the PS3 crossbar itself. Everything just runs so smoothly and has a great streamlined feel to it. It's all just so pretty.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not a big fan of Pain. You fling yourself into shit and "hilarity ensues." The attitude of the game is off putting and its really not that fun if you're playing it by yourself or you and your friends are sober.

I'm sure some people really like it, but it didn't click with me. (I got it for free with the MGS4 bundle.)

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, tell me more about this game, Siren Blood Curse. I haven't heard much about it. So it's good?

Did you like Silent Hill 1 & 2? The Siren games are basically that but even better with a lot of cool additions like Sight-Jacking (seeing through an enemy's eyes so that you can try to avoid being detected).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey a perfect SS thread.... :wink:

I've bought some stuff from PSN;

FlOw
    Pain
    Castlevania
    echochrome

It's all been pretty good. Need to go back to echo, though. Got R&C for PSP, but having trouble with the camera; might like it better on the PS3.

Played Bioshock demo, that's on my gift list.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oooh. And it's a PSN game? How long is it, roughly, and what's the price?

Also, Echochrome pissed me off, but then again I suck at that game's internal logic.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have:
    Warhawk + expansions
    Burnout Paradise
    Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    Pixel Junk: Eden
    and Pain
    and I haven't been dissapointed so far.
    I would've got fl0w but I played it so much from the free downloadable original I don't see paying for it.
    I want to get a PSone original like Wild Arms or Castlevania next.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my dlc list is very long. the only thing i've been outright disappointed with was calling all cars. everything else was money well spent, especially:

- pixeljunk monsters and eden
    - everyday shooter
    - wipeoutHD
    - gt5: prologue
    - piyotama
    - loco roco: cocoreccho
    - echochrome
    - flow
    - sshd

it's a fantastic service

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Just downloaded Super Puzzle Fighter HD; had to apply an update right after. I loathe updates. I love Puzzle Fighter.

The update adds voice support in online multiplayer.

My PSN favorites are, in no particular order:
    PixelJunk Monsters: Best played coop, local online
    PixelJunk Eden: Best played coop, local online
    WipeoutHD: My favorite racing game, looks slick as hell 1080p 60fps.
    Warhawk: Its full game available on bluray too, but I like having it always on my xmb
    Bionic Commando Rearmed: Remake of the classic NES game, new bosses and challeneges, coop too

Other ones I've enjoyed:
    Puzzle Fighter
    Lemmings
    Super Stardust HD
    Everyday Shooter

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Bionic Commando: ReArmed, Everyday Shooter and The Last Guy are all great along with what everyone here has mentioned.
    And since Chance seemingly isn't doing it...
    IT IS ALSO IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR VALKYRIA CHRONICLES LIKE RIGHT NOW

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey is "The Last Guy" any good? I enjoyed the demo but I'm still on the fence. (Also watch the "interview with the developers" for this game its pretty hilarious, you can find it in the video section of psn)

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7JyZ3mKDw

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I didn't see the demo for Valkyria Chroniles on the store. Did I miss it?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I didn't see the demo for Valkyria Chroniles on the store. Did I miss it?

Nope. When I checked the store's update yesterday it was there under new arrivals, though there's so much new stuff you gotta' look for it - it's not in the first screen of stuff.

If you have trouble, just go to the 'browse all by title' or whatever it's called, under V.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oooh. And it's a PSN game? How long is it, roughly, and what's the price?

It's 8-12 hours long, depending on your skill, and costs $40.00. Why so pricy? Because it's so damn good - good enought to deserve a full disc release (which it got, in Japan, China and Europe). The download takes up about 9 gigs of space, and as such can take a bit of time. But it's worth pointing out that until Dead Space appeared (and this is an arguable point, since Dead Space is more RE4 Action than Survival Horror), Siren: Blood Curse is the best reviewed true survival horror game on current gen consoles.

Alone in the Dark - 58%
    Silent Hill Homecoming - 73%
    Siren: Blood Curse - 79%

And it's 20 bucks cheaper. Imagine that.

I'm on my PS3 so I can't link threads, but if you do a search for Siren Blood Curse I'm sure you'll find its old hype thread with lots of pretty (scary) pictures. There's also a demo up on PSN, but it really, really doesn't do the game justice.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm, I'll have to consider that when I have more money. And thanks for the info on the Valkyria demo, I just found it and it's downloading now. :)

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hear that, Doctor McNinja? Someone's interested in Siren and is trying out the Valky C demo! Whaddaya think?
    yessssssof9.png

Oh yeah.

Chance on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We need a comprehensive list of PSN IDs.

Can we talk about Home, too? Because that looks cool. I thought it was out ages ago so it's the first thing I looked for when I plugged my PS3 in for the first time a few weeks ago. Imagine my disappointment!

Go ahead! Imagine it!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    BraintrustBraintrust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You should take linger in shadows out of the OP because it sucks.

Stuff I bought that I wish I could return.
    Linger In Shadows
    Mesmerize
    Aquatopia.
    Qore - 10-15-2008
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (don't flame me for this)

Stuff I bought that was ok.
    Wild Arms

Good stuff I bought
    Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 1
    Everyday Shooter
    The Last Guy
    Super Stardust HD

AAA titles I bought
    Warhawk + Expansions

Braintrust on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Braintrust wrote: »

wWWWWHAT?!
    flame.jpg

I've never played it.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I bought Pain and wish I had my money back.

Six on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guys, I got a PS3 coming and I need a good co op game. Suggestions?

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    donhonk wrote: »
    Guys, I got a PS3 coming and I need a good co op game. Suggestions?

Little. Big. Planet. Period. Period.

Also, Pixeljunk Eden.

Chance on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well LittleBigPlanet was a given, however I could only get one game and I got MGS4. But thank you, I'll see what Eden is like.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Braintrust wrote: »
    You should take linger in shadows out of the OP because it sucks.

Stuff I bought that I wish I could return.
    Linger In Shadows
    Mesmerize
    Aquatopia.
    Qore - 10-15-2008

Stuff I bought that was ok.
    Wild Arms

Good stuff I bought
    Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 1
    Everyday Shooter
    The Last Guy
    Super Stardust HD

AAA titles I bought
    Warhawk + Expansions

I see a disturbing lack of Pixel Junk games. Also Symphony is awesome. (Didn't buy it off psn, but played the crap out of it on my ps1 and psp.)

greeble on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Been waiting for a PSN thread!

My current collection of stuff:

Echocrome
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
    Bionic Commando: Re-Armed
    Wipeout HD
    Linger in Shadows
    Mortal Kombat II

Not indicative of PSN itself, but I regret most of those. Don't like Echocrome, BC Re-Armed, or Linger in Shadows.

And PS One Classics! I keep logging on every Thursday hoping to find Suikoden to no avail, but in the meantime I've got:

Spyro the Dragon
    Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
    Syphon Filter
    Jumping Flash!
    MediEvil
    Wild Arms
    Rayman

The only one of those I don't like is Rayman, so doing much better in that department.

Also, the Trophy update is nice. I was a bit of an Achievement addict back in the day, sometimes checking out games that I wasn't particularly interested in because of GamerScore. Call me crazy, but I like the fact that Trophies are not mandatory better. I just get this sense that since it's not a required thing, it's no big deal if I don't get all the Trophies. Not that I'm not having fun collecting the enjoyable ones, though.

UnbreakableVow on