As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A smörgåsbord for comic fans (Marvel UA)

• Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So I haven't started Act 2 yet, just milled about Strange's place.

I have 3/5 Daredevil dolls (one from Strange's place) and 3/5 Black Panther dolls from Act 1.

Did I miss any?
    it's entirely possible, but there's more than 5 of each in the game.

There's a(n incomplete?) list of locations on page 19 or so.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So i finished this last night.

Holy shit. The ending, perfect setup for a sequel.

And the credits, oh god the credits.

And that plot twist after the credits. Goddammit this game was perfect in every way.

My main team was Iron Man (trying to get his Ultimate Armor, but his comic mission is a bitch), Ghost Rider (Original, because 50% chance of rezzing allies kicks serious ass), Deadpool (Ultimate outfit), and a fourth character that i can't really decide on. My Symbiote Spidey and Classic Thor kick all kinds of ass, but i really wanna incorporate Daredevil or Dr. Strange into my team, so i'm trying them both out and seeing which one i like more.

Also, Ghost Rider's Ravaging Flame attack is the greatest boss killer ever. I just stand back and keep charging till that bitch goes down, not to mention his piece of equipment that gives the attack +3. Fuckin' crazy.

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

And that plot twist after the credits. Goddammit this game was perfect in every way.

My main team was Iron Man (trying to get his Ultimate Armor, but his comic mission is a bitch), Ghost Rider (Original, because 50% chance of rezzing allies kicks serious ass), Deadpool (Ultimate outfit), and a fourth character that i can't really decide on. My Symbiote Spidey and Classic Thor kick all kinds of ass, but i really wanna incorporate Daredevil or Dr. Strange into my team, so i'm trying them both out and seeing which one i like more.

Also, Ghost Rider's Ravaging Flame attack is the greatest boss killer ever. I just stand back and keep charging till that bitch goes down, not to mention his piece of equipment that gives the attack +3. Fuckin' crazy.

Would the plot twist be....

[spoiler:530844d062]That 'this is the future you created' part? Or did I miss something obvious?[/spoiler:530844d062]

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:

[spoiler:4381fa7ac2]That 'this is the future you created' part? Or did I miss something obvious?[/spoiler:4381fa7ac2]
    [realspoiler:4381fa7ac2]After the credits, after all of the voice acting hilarity had finished, if you wait about a minute at the black screen, a number starts to be dialed and you get a convo between Black Widow and Weasel, in which Weasel has copied Fury's brain patterns onto Widow's laptop and she betrays him and has him arrested. Black Widow has, once again, become a traitor.[/realspoiler:4381fa7ac2]

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:

[spoiler:9c8380a496]That 'this is the future you created' part? Or did I miss something obvious?[/spoiler:9c8380a496]
    [realspoiler:9c8380a496]After the credits, after all of the voice acting hilarity had finished, if you wait about a minute at the black screen, a number starts to be dialed and you get a convo between Black Widow and Weasel, in which Weasel has copied Fury's brain patterns onto Widow's laptop and she betrays him and has him arrested. Black Widow has, once again, become a traitor.[/realspoiler:9c8380a496]

[spoiler:9c8380a496]Oh, that....Shit is going to hit fan, I imagine. Doom's been taken by Odin and will want vengeance if he escapes, Black Widow's got Fury's brain patterns.....This won't end well for our crime fighting heroes.[/spoiler:9c8380a496]

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

[spoiler:e776993cbe]That 'this is the future you created' part? Or did I miss something obvious?[/spoiler:e776993cbe]
    [realspoiler:e776993cbe]After the credits, after all of the voice acting hilarity had finished, if you wait about a minute at the black screen, a number starts to be dialed and you get a convo between Black Widow and Weasel, in which Weasel has copied Fury's brain patterns onto Widow's laptop and she betrays him and has him arrested. Black Widow has, once again, become a traitor.[/realspoiler:e776993cbe]

[spoiler:e776993cbe]Oh, that....Shit is going to hit fan, I imagine. Doom's been taken by Odin and will want vengeance if he escapes, Black Widow's got Fury's brain patterns.....This won't end well for our crime fighting heroes.[/spoiler:e776993cbe]
    Of course, you mean it'll end absolutely fucking fantastically awesome, right?

[spoiler:e776993cbe]Also, there's Galactus to deal with. He seemed pretty pissed.[/spoiler:e776993cbe]

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

[spoiler:5a88b55c79]That 'this is the future you created' part? Or did I miss something obvious?[/spoiler:5a88b55c79]
    [realspoiler:5a88b55c79]After the credits, after all of the voice acting hilarity had finished, if you wait about a minute at the black screen, a number starts to be dialed and you get a convo between Black Widow and Weasel, in which Weasel has copied Fury's brain patterns onto Widow's laptop and she betrays him and has him arrested. Black Widow has, once again, become a traitor.[/realspoiler:5a88b55c79]

[spoiler:5a88b55c79]Oh, that....Shit is going to hit fan, I imagine. Doom's been taken by Odin and will want vengeance if he escapes, Black Widow's got Fury's brain patterns.....This won't end well for our crime fighting heroes.[/spoiler:5a88b55c79]
    Of course, you mean it'll end absolutely fucking fantastically awesome, right?

[spoiler:5a88b55c79]Also, there's Galactus to deal with. He seemed pretty pissed.[/spoiler:5a88b55c79]

For us? Oh, of course.

But I'm betting they're going to be fucking PISSED. :P

yalborap on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, how the hell do you beat Cappy's comic mission?

I can delay the timer no problem, but Winter Soldier just grinds my health down to nothing. I can't go toe-to-toe with the guy, because he appears to have a crapload more health or does more damage.

I don't get it; Cappy's gotta be something like level 30, too.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

I can delay the timer no problem, but Winter Soldier just grinds my health down to nothing. I can't go toe-to-toe with the guy, because he appears to have a crapload more health or does more damage.

I haven't tried it yet, but Deathbird's Feather may help. It makes Spidey nearly invincible (now if only Dugan could also be invincible...). I hate that mission. In fact, i hate most comic missions. they're so god damned hard.

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

I haven't tried it yet, but Deathbird's Feather may help. It makes Spidey nearly invincible (now if only Dugan could also be invincible...). I hate that mission. In fact, i hate most comic missions. they're so god damned hard.

Cripes, are they ever.

Except Deadpool's. That one's just amusing.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    KatyaKatya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

Spoiler tags because it's kind of a puzzle...

[spoiler:b65131b752]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

Basically you have to run around the consoles and look for the ones that are kind of twinkling in their displays. Then activate them in order as you find them. After about three of them, the clock resets and you have more time to bash on Winter Soldier. Then you gotta run around again an dreset the clocks. I basically did like 20-30 seconds of beating on him, then leaving 20-30 seconds of running around and resetting clocks.

It's actually fairly easy after you do this.

[/spoiler:b65131b752]

Katya on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Katya wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

[spoiler:b112fce3aa]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

Basically you have to run around the consoles and look for the ones that are kind of twinkling in their displays. Then activate them in order as you find them. After about three of them, the clock resets and you have more time to bash on Winter Soldier. Then you gotta run around again an dreset the clocks. I basically did like 20-30 seconds of beating on him, then leaving 20-30 seconds of running around and resetting clocks.

[/spoiler:b112fce3aa]

Actually,
    FireWeasel wrote:
    I can delay the timer no problem, but Winter Soldier just grinds my health down to nothing.

So I got that down already. It's the "beating Winter Soldier senseless" part I inexplicably cannot manage.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Katya wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

[spoiler:66b20001b4]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

[/spoiler:66b20001b4]

Actually,
    FireWeasel wrote:
    I can delay the timer no problem, but Winter Soldier just grinds my health down to nothing.

So I got that down already. It's the "beating Winter Soldier senseless" part I inexplicably cannot manage.

How many points does Cap have available for powers, if any? is he on auto-spend?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Katya wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

[spoiler:bf72db4422]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

[/spoiler:bf72db4422]

Actually,
    FireWeasel wrote:

How many points does Cap have available for powers, if any? is he on auto-spend?

Nah, I immediately take everyone off auto-spend. Not too sure how many points he has available, but I recall dumping most of it into his shield toss.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Katya wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

[spoiler:8e5c4d4003]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

[/spoiler:8e5c4d4003]

Actually,
    FireWeasel wrote:

Nah, I immediately take everyone off auto-spend. Not too sure how many points he has available, but I recall dumping most of it into his shield toss.

Hm. may want to dump them into something with a bit more raw ass-kicking, possibly.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Katya wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

[spoiler:3ea701a2fe]Remember that you also have to worry about the missile... the game gives you a clue when it says that "you don't know the order of the codes" or whatever.

[/spoiler:3ea701a2fe]

Actually,
    FireWeasel wrote:

Hm. may want to dump them into something with a bit more raw ass-kicking, possibly.

I'm open to suggestions!

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

I beat it with Cap about level 12 or so. I had three or four points in Shield Bash and fully charged it was able to move Winter's health bar a little bit with each hit. In between bashes I did melee combos; I'm not quite sure how it works, if there's a percentage chance or what, but every few combos would make WS drop enough reds and blues to keep me going. The other thing is to hit block if it looks like he's winding up for one of his more powerful attacks. Oh! and I almost forgot, try and keep Cap's buff power on as much as possible, it really helps, especially with a few points in it.

Similarly, to the guy who's having trouble with the Iron Man mission: the best way to beat Ultimo is to patiently melee the fuck out of him, blocking whenever he winds up for a smash or a stomp, and when your blue bar fills up back off to hit him with fully charged repulsor blasts.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    jacobkosh wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I beat it with Cap about level 12 or so. I had three or four points in Shield Bash and fully charged it was able to move Winter's health bar a little bit with each hit. In between bashes I did melee combos; I'm not quite sure how it works, if there's a percentage chance or what, but every few combos would make WS drop enough reds and blues to keep me going. The other thing is to hit block if it looks like he's winding up for one of his more powerful attacks. Oh! and I almost forgot, try and keep Cap's buff power on as much as possible, it really helps, especially with a few points in it.

Similarly, to the guy who's having trouble with the Iron Man mission: the best way to beat Ultimo is to patiently melee the fuck out of him, blocking whenever he winds up for a smash or a stomp, and when your blue bar fills up back off to hit him with fully charged repulsor blasts.

Maybe I'm just underestimating the value of blocking. Hmmm.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    jacobkosh wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I don't think I blocked even once while playing through, nor did I use buffs often. my basic rule is this: "If I can't kill it now, kill other things until I can kill the big thing."

yalborap on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Blocking is key in the comic missions. The main game has attacks that can penetrate blocks, but it would be lame to do that in a mission where you only have one guy and he's fighting someone it normally takes a full team to take on, right?

I mean, maybe some of the later comic missions have that - I'm only on Act 3 - but I've done Wolvie, Cap, Reed, Iron Man, Thing, Elektra, Dr. Strange, and Blade and so far blocking has worked for all of them. Beating the bosses has been more taxing on my patience than anything else.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    jacobkosh wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I don't think I blocked even once while playing through, nor did I use buffs often. my basic rule is this: "If I can't kill it now, kill other things until I can kill the big thing."

Yup, i never block either. I just nuked the shit out of everything with either thor (using the wind thingie when there was multiple enemies around, that move was ownage) or torch. Pretty much only used the torch in boss fights, i forgot what the move was called but its the one that knocks most enemies from into the air from under them, anyway i would just used that move till i got too much agro and then get the agro back with thor...

swift on
    nexx360.png
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just finished this game today. Awesome.

I look forward to completing it again, getting all the loot.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hm. I'm noticing Ghost Rider's Penance Stare seems to also give me health back, because it was doing that during the boss battle before I had the item that had that effect.

Weird.

yalborap on
  • Options
    aliusalius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just remember that when you start having to press two buttons to stop something from happening, you hold the buttons. Tapping them doesn't work.

I must have done Storms comic thing about six times before I remembered.

alius on
    My Wii code is: 2306 7685 6359 7171

If you add me send me a PM so I can add you as well.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Whats the trick to fucking up [spoiler:3ebfa7b674]The Grey Gargoyle? I knock his health all the way down, but he gets some back. I'm guess I have to find away to take out his healers first [/spoiler:3ebfa7b674][/b]

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Whats the trick to fucking up [spoiler:7af4df0f3f]The Grey Gargoyle? I knock his health all the way down, but he gets some back. I'm guess I have to find away to take out his healers first [/spoiler:7af4df0f3f][/b]

[spoiler:7af4df0f3f]Basically, just take out his healers. Radial attacks and heavy-damage attacks will both work for this. Human Torch's Inferno attack works, as does the Venom Blast of Spider-Woman, Iron Man's starting power, and so on. Basically, you just need to do a lot of damage, aim at healer, and fire.[/spoiler:7af4df0f3f]

yalborap on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

I'm open to suggestions!

Put a ton of points into Cap's melee boost, ups your damage by a wide margin.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Balefuego wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I'm open to suggestions!

Yeah, the boosts help a shit ton against the bosses on almost all the disc missions Ive done so far.

However, I still cant beat Blade's... Dark Spider-Man rips me a new one everytime.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just picked up this game yesterday and I'm loving it.

Deadpool, Thor, Captain America, and Dr. Strange work wonders for me.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Golden Leg wrote:
    I just picked up this game yesterday and I'm loving it.

Deadpool, Thor, Captain America, and Dr. Strange work wonders for me.

Deadpool is awesome fun. "Low on power... but high in vitamins!"

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For Australians, the PC version is selling at an insane $29.95. Console versions are at the regular prices, i.e. $100. D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I'm open to suggestions!

Yeah, the boosts help a shit ton against the bosses on almost all the disc missions Ive done so far.

However, I still cant beat Blade's... Dark Spider-Man rips me a new one everytime.
    Deathbird's Feather.

Seriously. It works so well. It's helped me win almost every Comic Mission i've come across (only one i haven't won is Wolverine's, cause i can't fucking kill Warstar before all the cores are destroyed).

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

I'm open to suggestions!

Deathbird's Feather.

Seriously. It works so well. It's helped me win almost every Comic Mission i've come across (only one i haven't won is Wolverine's, cause i can't fucking kill Warstar before all the cores are destroyed).

Dont have that item yet, but I did manage to beat Blade's comic mission finally... For the Wolverine one, I ignored all the guys attacking the cores and just went all out nuts on Warstar's face... Protecting the Cores wasnt nearly as bad as defending Dum Dum Dugan on Spider-Man's mission.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone know of a good walkthrough? The ones I've found online seem to end at about halfway through Act 3.

I don't worry about finding every little thing, but I do want all those sim disks, and some of the boss beatdown methods are a bit mysterious.

Scooter on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just want to see a powers guide so I can avoid all the terrible powers.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I just want to see a powers guide so I can avoid all the terrible powers.

Well, at least you can take all but the first point out, so if something sucks youve only wasted one(sometimes two for higher level skills) point...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ...words

you can probilly find it on gamefaqs by now. although i could be wrong.

and the second your not looking, im stealing your avatar.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    arcath wrote:
    ...words

you can probilly find it on gamefaqs by now. although i could be wrong.

and the second your not looking, im stealing your avatar.

Not on gamefaqs.

Also, there's already some german guy in SE++ that is called Green Lantern that is trying to steal my thunder, no more copycats. =P

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    seeraphaelseeraphael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Late to the party... finally got my PS2 copy; it was defective (all cut scenes skipped terribly), exchanged it -- finally have a working copy now.

Great game so far - I'm about 4 hours in, having a blast just jamming through missions. They've seemed to have streamlined everything about the XML engine to keep yourself from getting annoyed:

1) No more completely customizable stats. The days of Mage Wolverine or Bruiser Jubilee are over. On the other hand, you can't screw yourself over trying to create such characters, either.

2) Special Move Combos ("COMBO!!") seem to be a lot rarer, and don't give the ridiculous bonuses they used to. Also, the melee combo choices seem to have been trimmed, too -- not that everyone didn't just dial in the 7-string throughout XML anyways. I like the new grapples and moves, but mainly for cosmetic purposes than for usefulness. Mr. Fantastic's grapple slam made my jaw drop.

3) It was a nice touch that the game doesn't penalize you for switching characters around until a few hours into the game, and even then you don't have to commit to a team roster until you're ready. I was half-afraid that at the get-go you would have to pick 4 and just stick with them.

Is there anyone else out there who goes for style rather than substance in their team selection? I'm holding off on starting my team until I get Blade, at which he along with Deadpool, Elektra, and Wolverine will form the Sharp Pointy Things.

seeraphael on
    Health advice for the 21st century:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I need help locating some discs that I missed.

Here is my list starting at Blade. Which ones am I missing first of all?

Blade
    ??? (probably the act 2 disc that I'm missing)
    Luke Cage
    Spider Woman
    Storm Thor
    Dead Pool
    Invisible Woman
    Shocker
    ??? (probably the act 3 disc that I'm missing)
    Iceman
    ??? (probably the the disc that I'm missing from [spoiler:af6638ab3b]the Shi'ar ship[/spoiler:af6638ab3b] on my current act)
    Ulik
    ???
    ???
    ???
    Kurse

I'm assuming the following three are located on the [spoiler:af6638ab3b]Skrull homeworld.[/spoiler:af6638ab3b]

Any help would be awesome.

Gaming-Module on