As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camwhores] Videogame Figure thread. Odin Sphere Gwendolyn, Persona Elizabeth pg 43

DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Apotheos Edit: Please try to keep it VG related with the occasional dalliance into anime rather than vice versa
Dev edit: What he said. This is G+T after all :D. So please keep non-gaming related discussions to a minimum rather than letting them become the dominant topic.

We know you've got them. Sitting there on your shelves all pretty like. It's time to show them off and see what else you can get your mits on. This thread is here for all you folks to show us your collections and talk about figures and figure collecting~

Highlights

HOB-FIG-9301.jpgPersona Elizabeth
FIG-MOE-0118-1.jpgOdin Sphere Gwendolyn
FIG-MOE-0196.jpgSwimwear Kos Mos
HOB-FIG-9432.jpgMaster Creatures Gilgamesh
HOB-FIG-9433.jpgMaster Creatures Phoenix
HOB-FIG-9434.jpgMaster Creatures Shiva

Oh it's shiny, now where do I get them from?
Popular websites for importing/shipping figures are Play-Asia and Hobbylink Japan. You can find the range of high-quality Metroid and Legend of Zelda figures from First4Figures. Hobbylink Japan is well recommended for their good prices and friendly customer service.

Why can't I get some of these things? Why do they sell out so quickly?
Figures often have short production runs; they are not designed for constant manufacture, unlike things such as snap-together kits which have longer production lives. Companies may do second or third production runs if a figure is popular; for example, after the initial pre-orders for Max Factory's Haruhi figure sold out, they announced a second and third production run. Kotobukiya has done reruns of some of their trading figure collections. But this is the exception rather than the rule. Resin kits and prepainted figures are fleeting, always ready to be overtaken by the next round of announcements.

Trading Figures?
'Trading figures' work like trading cards. They usually come in a box of ten or more figures, randomly packed, so you never know what's in each individual box. Sometimes there are secret figures and alternate colours. The idea is to trade with other people to get a complete collection. Usually if you purchase a whole box you will get a full set plus some extras. Gashapon ('capsule toys', so named because they are individually packaged in plastic capsules) are similar to trading figures, but tend to cost less and thus have a lower overall quality.

This is just a perverted Otaku thing, isn't it...
Contrary to some belief, figure collecting isn't all about 'lol upskirt' and scantily clad women. People buy figures and become collectors for all sorts of reasons, whether it be the love of a character, series, or the skillfully crafted sculpt of a particular figure. And, well, the sexy women helps a bit too I suppose... :P

How do I avoid bootlegs?
Buying from credible sellers such as HLJ is a good way to avoid getting a bodgy, illegal recast. But, as with many older or out-of-production figures, sometimes places like eBay are the only way to go. So, how do you make sure you're getting the real deal? A few things to look out for when spotting bootlegs are:

- Price. If you've spotted a figure you want to get, try doing a little research on it beforehand to see how much you should expect to be paying. Places like [url=http://www.hlj.com[/url]HLJ[/url] have pretty extensive back catalogues of figures, so you should be able to find the one you're looking for and see how much it originally retailed for. If there is a large disparity in price (like a 4000yen figure selling for under $20), you probably have a bootleg on your hands.
- Lack of official licensing tags or poor packaging. Most figures based off popular anime or games should have official licensing stickers on them. These stickers vary from company to company and are usually metallic or holographic in nature. Some examples include; a gold rectangle with a cat for Toei, a silver and blue clown for Studio Pierrot, a silver and black Phoenix for Kadokawa, or the orange smiley face for Namco. Not every official product has a sticker, but the lack of one can be a helpful indicator. Poor printing quality is also another mark of bootlegging; things like Chinese text where there should be Japanese text, or fuzzy/wonky images.
- Poor painting, casting and other sculpting faults. Bootlegs are mostly re-casts of existing figures, meaning they lose some of the crispness and details, and often don't fit together as well. Obvious seam lines, injection marks and poor paint jobs are another telltale sign. The following are some examples of bootleg quality versus the originals;
Bootleg (notice the misalignment of the arm and the tattoos on his chest, and the lack of black paint along the reverse sword edge)
BOOTLEG-Renji.jpg

Legit:
Renji-2.jpg

Bootleg (notice the poor paint quality and lack of crispness and details in some places):
BOOTLEG-Rukia.jpg

Legit:
Rukia-1.jpgRukia-7.jpg

Unfortunately, the above won't always help you to spot a bootleg on Ebay, since many sellers use standard production photos instead of images of the stock they have on hand.

PVC?

Megahouse-Nami2.jpg

Wrapped in plastic, it's fantastic. Polyvinyl chloride, to be exact. The majority of Japanese figures are made of this versatile material. PVC can suffer from what is known as 'warpage', which results from structural instabilities in the pose of a figure. Especially during hot weather, if a figure's center of gravity is off and it doesn't have enough base support, it may visibly lean in one direction.

Cold Cast?

Kotobukiya-Nadia.jpg

Cold Cast has a more crisp finish and is popular in quality American models. Because of its hard quality, certain finishes and poses are possible to achieve, as oppose to PVC (Cold Cast can be sanded, for example, and doesn't suffer from warpage). It's also heavier and far more brittle, so figures will need to be packed in a protective casing to avoid damage while shipping. It's also more expensive.

ABS?

Bandai-WingZero.jpg

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene is used in a lot of mecha models.

Currently Camwhorin'

1417773486_b7f9f8c598.jpg

DevKimiko on

• Options
    Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    holy shit

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are you the guy from that one site who jacks off onto anime figurines?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:

... holy shit

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:

Being female as I am, probably not :lol:

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, this is off to a fine start. I'll try to make a constructive post.

Fine stuff you've got there!

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Because I do it in every one of these fucking threads:
    Fierce%20Deity%20Link_photo1_large.jpg
    &
    Skull%20Kid_photo1_large.jpg

Edit: I also have this guy:
    ryu.jpg

I have more, but my desk is a fucking mess right now, and I don't feel like cleaning it up for pictures.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    holy shit

I thought the same thing when i saw that. I thought my arcade machine addiction was bad. Atleast...This is space efficient.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    First 4 Figures is going to break my wallet when they come out with a Twilight Princess Link statue D:

I gotta say they do look pretty awesome.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    KilogreKilogre Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Because I do it in every one of these fucking threads:
    Fierce%20Deity%20Link_photo1_large.jpg
    &
    Skull%20Kid_photo1_large.jpg

Edit: I also have this guy:
    ryu.jpg

I have more, but my desk is a fucking mess right now, and I don't feel like cleaning it up for pictures.
    I hella want the first two.

Kilogre on
    sig.pl?Kilogre
    sigattach21wl.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I... I think I have a Thrall action figure somewhere from when Warcraft 3 came out.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:
    First 4 Figures is going to break my wallet when they come out with a Twilight Princess Link statue D:

I gotta say they do look pretty awesome.
    No kidding. Unfortunately, I am unable to hold back on any of the figures. Oni Link cost me $155 after shipping. Skull Kid is going to cost $125.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oooh look at all the purty figurines.

That Snake looks awesome.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kilogre wrote:
    http://www.first4figures.com/productlist.asp?rangeid=19&seriesid=21

Neither of them have shipped yet (Skull Kid has only just been announced), so you've got plenty of time.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:
    WANT SO BADLY HOLY SHIT

exit on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

... holy shit

Ahahahaha.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    holy shit

I thought the same thing when i saw that. I thought my arcade machine addiction was bad. Atleast...This is space efficient.

My collection pales like Wanda against a Colosi compares to this persons room: Link ([edit] click on 'room'. Can't link directly there. Agh)

Also, it took me three years to collect mine.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    It's like you get dumber with every post.

Those Zelda figures are going to be the end of me. :? I really only want one, because if I buy more than one I will have to buy the entire series, but I don't know if I want one of those, since they'll have more in the future. I mean, if I order skull kid and they unveil Wind Waker Gannondorf or Twilight Princess Link, I am fucked proper.

Kevar on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    exit wrote:
    DevKimiko wrote:
    WANT SO BADLY HOLY SHIT

There's a whole bunch of different versions, my favorite is Squares.

SnakeEaterFigureSquares.jpg
    SnakeEaterFigureSquares002-1.jpg

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Those Zelda figures are going to be the end of me. :? I really only want one, because if I buy more than one I will have to buy the entire series, but I don't know if I want one of those, since they'll have more in the future. I mean, if I order skull kid and they unveil Wind Waker Gannondorf or Twilight Princess Link, I am fucked proper.

Current product development plans include, but not limited to:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Young Link
    Sheik
    Ganondorf VS Link Diorama
    Dark Link

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
    Fierce Deity Link
    Skull Kid

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda
    Link

I also hear they might do a Wind Waker Ganon.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Even if I could post a picture of my setup, it'd look pretty laughable compared to that majesty.

But for what it's worth, lined up in some kind of order:

A Sailor Stars alarm clock
    A Ken Ohki plush
    An Artemis plush
    A Dory ... figure thing
    A Growlanser Generations standee
    A Lain DJ doll
    And the Lain schoolgirl doll

I keep both of those boxed, though. They seem too fragile to keep on display.

I just saw the boxed Lain on the stairway though, and it is gorgeous.

vic06003_LRG.jpg

$49.99 though. Ow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Well, they've officially announced TP Link, and I've recieved e-mail confirmation that they're considering a WW Ganondorf, if the series takes off. So if you only buy one, I'd wait.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kilogre wrote:

Neither of them have shipped yet (Skull Kid has only just been announced), so you've got plenty of time.
    Christ those are expensive.

Kilogre on
    sig.pl?Kilogre
    sigattach21wl.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kilogre wrote:
    Kilogre wrote:

Christ those are expensive.

There's a Gunbuster figure on Hobbylink that's five-hundred dollars. The funny thing is, the $20 figure looks much better.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:
    I also hear they might do a Wind Waker Ganon.
    Ah, thanks. :^: So the smart choice for me is to wait for Twilight Princess Link, and if they announce a Wind Waker Ganon by then, I'll wait for that.

Kevar on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If they're gonna do a Ganondorf vs Link diorama for ocarina of time, i'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see one of Ganon vs Link and Zelda for Wind Waker. In the meantime though, the Skull Kid one looks amazing. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think I'm gonna get some of those Phoenix Wright figures next time I import something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm posting my Haseo Fig once I get G.U. in a few days, noone better beat me to it.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    azuriceazurice Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Everytime I go into the inner city, I stop at this figurine shop and buy one of those trading figurines. I don't follow (much) anime and I can't read Japanese though, so I often have no idea what the hell I'm buying. They just look cool and/or cute. :lol: I'll probably get people to identify them once I find my camera. :wink:

I really like those Zelda figurines. Fierce Deity Link = Want.

azurice on
  • Options
    Mighty JMighty J Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think I might get some hot anime girl figure, so I can have it next to my Johnny Bravo toy.

Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    I think I might get some hot anime girl figure, so I can have it next to my Johnny Bravo toy.

Boy, that's gonna be a hard position to fill. I mean, finding a scantily clad anime chick is such an arduous task.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Finger Goblins > Video gaming figurines.
    ...But I dont have those anymore either.
    Im nothing but a shell of a man with noVG figures.

Kilogre on
    sig.pl?Kilogre
    sigattach21wl.gif
  • Options
    Mighty JMighty J Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kilogre wrote:
    Finger Goblins > Video gaming figurines.
    ...But I dont have those anymore either.
    Im nothing but a shell of a man with noVG figures.
    Now, a video game figurine with tiny finger goblins on its fingers. That would be nifty.

Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:

Boy, that's gonna be a hard position to fill. I mean, finding a scantily clad anime chick is such an arduous task.
    Burn.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So am I supposed to post my pics here? Again? Man there's been like 5 threads like this this month alone. But still, this one has a very well done OP.

So yeah.

toys1.jpg

toys2.jpg

toys3.jpg

toys4.jpg

toys5.jpg

toys6.jpg

toys7.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DevKimiko wrote:
    Burn.

Haha. I know that most figures are marketed towards the male fans; it's what's to be expected of the industry.

It just gets a bit boring when every second figure is about how much panty you can flash or how her skirt or blouse comes off, or how many bikini figures you can churn out. It's especially creepy when you have young looking characters. Moe-tan is a mascot for a book series that teaches children how to read, yet you get get figures of her in suggestive poses. I mean, she looks about ten years old or something :(

Good male character figures are also hard to come by...

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    so far with game figures, I have:
    -Rockman (Bandai)
    -Rockman X w/ removable armor (bandai)
    -Rockman X Ultimate Armor metal plating (Bandai)
    -Rockman Volnutt w/ Shining Laser and cannon (Bandai)
    -Mega Man X (Jazwares Wave 1)
    -Zero (Jazwares Wave 1)
    -Mega Man (Jazwares Wave 1)
    -Vile (Jazwares Wave 1)
    -MMZ series Zero (Jazwares Wave 3 or something)
    -Strider Hiryu vs Spiderman (Toybiz's MvC collection)
    -Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram's Temjin, DNA Side (Kaiyodo)
    -a Myriad of Pokemon figurines lost to who knows where (Tomy/Hasbro+BK toys), plushes and a pikachu clock
    -The Link, Zelda, Gannon 3pack from Target from around OoT's release
    the FFVII Figure 4pack with Cloud, Tifa, Aeris and Barret (Bandai)
    -Squall from FFVIII (Bandai)
    -Seifer from FFVIII (Bandai)
    -a Link figurine from the 80s
    -Mario riding a koopa figurine from the 80s
    -Peach Figurine from the 80s
    -The Collection of Mario3 Toys from McDonald's
    -The Collection of Sonic Toys from McDonalds
    -Tons of Sonic related Plush (at least 5 sonics of various kinds, Tails, and Eggman)
    -Sonic the Hedgehog figure from some defunct toy company
    -Crash Bandicoot figure by same company
    -Several of Hasbro's crappy Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat toys that were GI Mold rip-offs
    -McFarlane's MGS2 Collection
    -Two Wendy's Mario Toys (parachute Mario and Double Dash Kart)
    -Mega Man Battle Network P.E.T.
    -Galeon Punching Puppet Lunar II preorder bonus

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    More Zelda crap than you have ever seen and it's all mine!

The sad thing is there's more that I've yet to get photos of.

A small selection linked below to get your interest.

132003684_1ea82aedc3_m.jpg

186727052_777e0aa83e_m.jpg

186784905_f87a220745_m.jpg

I didn't think direct linking from Flikr worked so let me know if I'm red-x ing you all.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    More Zelda crap than you have ever seen and it's all mine!

The sad thing is there's more that I've yet to get photos of.

A small selection linked below to get your interest.

132003684_1ea82aedc3_m.jpg

186727052_777e0aa83e_m.jpg

I didn't think direct linking from Flikr worked so let me know if I'm red-x ing you all.

:o

131992045_5d2d55c8c5_m.jpg

That's the one I have too

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006

That coin is pretty awesome. My Kanji is terrible, but I recognise 'power' so they must correspond to the three Triforce elements.

Niiice.
    But still, this one has a very well done OP.

Thanks :^:. Hopefully this will hang around as a thread and not fall off the page like the other picture posts.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    1011060959.jpg

Akinos on