As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disaster: Day of Crisis is still totally awesome

124»

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    hes most likely worried that if nintendo releases a game that leaves a bad taste the masses will stop swallowing their first party releases blindly.

Bwuh? If it doesn't have Mario on the cover I'm pretty sure the masses don't "swallow their first party releases blindly." Can you name me a game that sold "to the masses" that doesn't have Mario on it? WiiPlay doesn't count because everyone knows you buy that game for the extra remote.

Wii Fit

Not that I care to get in the middle of the argument, but yeah.

Renzo on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just trust me when I say this game is amazing fun. The finale of the game is the most tense, awesome thing ever:
    Fist fight with the main antagonist on a ship which has a nuclear weapon on board IN THE EYE OF A HURRICANE.

I read the spoiler. Kinda wish I hadn't as now I really fucking want to play it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Just trust me when I say this game is amazing fun. The finale of the game is the most tense, awesome thing ever:
    Fist fight with the main antagonist on a ship which has a nuclear weapon on board IN THE EYE OF A HURRICANE.

I read the spoiler. Kinda wish I hadn't as now I really fucking want to play it.

It gets better than that, trust me. Even though that's the final fight, you obviously have some other issues to deal with even after the enemy is dealt with. Minor spoiler, if you've read the one above it won't hurt:
    You have to go down into the decks and disarm the nuke. Dying, the enemy blows a hole in the ship. The ship is flooding and the nuke is in the lowest levels. You have to rush down and disarm the nuke with the water rising and the nuke counting down from 5 minutes. You're instructed how to disarm over a radio by another character who has the know-how, and the instructions actually come through the Wii Remote speaker, so you have to lean in and listen to your remote as you twist the remote to unscrew the casing and cut cables and stuff.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ray truly is having a bad day; terrorists, nuclear weapon, earthquake, tsunami, firestorm, eruption, forest fire, ash rain, mudslide, flood, hurricane, and wheel of fortune re-runs. All happening in a single day. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh balls, that actually sounds fun. Curse you, Nintendo of America being too sensitive to things of a political nature! (Supposedly the main objection was that the government turned out to be eeeeevil or somesuch.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh balls, that actually sounds fun. Curse you, Nintendo of America being too sensitive to things of a political nature! (Supposedly the main objection was that the government turned out to be eeeeevil or somesuch.)
    In a way. The terrorists actually turn out to be a US military group who were betrayed by the government. They did some missions then the government tried to have them removed and stuff as their knowledge of what went on was a liability. The terror plot is a way of exacting revenge.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All I've found out so far that the story is all over the place (in a totally good way). I'm really digging this game, it's one of the more fun games I've played on the Wii. I feel kinda bad for getting it for only €20, it's really worth a lot more. There's just something ridiculously fun about playing a total B-movie.

And yeah, the reason Reggie doesn't want to bring it stateside is because of the implicit criticism on the American government, which is a pity, but in the end understandable I guess.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    he wouldnt tie the release to european sales then, nor would he bash every aspect of the game like he did.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The thing is the game wasn't 'released' in Europe so much as just dropped out of the door like "oh here's this new game now DON'T FORGET ANIMAL CROSSING IN A MONTH!" No ads, no nothing. Red Consultancy (NoE's PR company) were only sent like 20 copies of the game to send out for review. It's nuts. I think if the game was.... y'know, advertised - it'd do very well, as this has the same kind of mass market appeal Resi 4 did.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How hard would it be to get this game and play it on a US Wii?

Dirty on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heh, I completely missed this thread. I just watched a trailer on Youtube, and it looks totally awesome. Sad to see that European-exclusive games don't really get any exposure - every few months, when I go into town I usually see like 3 or 4 new adventure games I've never heard of. I'll see if I can pick this up; I haven't bought a Wii game since Okami.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In a way. The terrorists actually turn out to be a US military group who were betrayed by the government. They did some missions then the government tried to have them removed and stuff as their knowledge of what went on was a liability. The terror plot is a way of exacting revenge.

So basically this game is Metal Gear Solid?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

So basically this game is Metal Gear Solid?

Sounds more like "The Rock"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Like I said, it's a lot like 24 the game except good. There's a real-time element, terrorists, nuclear weapons and other terror attacks, rescues, a kidnapping and a government conspiracy.

As far as importing goes, it's fairly easy to play now thanks to the Homebrew Channel - there's a region booter you can get for that which lets you boot games from any region.

APZonerunner on