edited October 2008
    Is this the thread for the PC BETA?

I have a BETA key if anyone wants it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This game feels like either 1) a lazy lowest-effort sequel, or 2) a polished mod or expansion pack for COD4. Everything, the icons, the UI, the graphics, and general feel seems the same. The knifing animation, for instance, seems like it was lifted from Modern Warfare wholesale. The same class and unlock system as COD4. Same gameplay. Same everything, just with WWII skins and models. At this point, I wouldn't be comfortable paying full price for this fucker, at least not what this multiplayer-only beta is showing me.

Being the same as COD4 isn't necessarily bad, since COD4 was excellent. But this feels so lazy that paying full price for it seems dirty, especially with a WWII theme that I'm sick and tired of. But that's just me.

This basically sums up my feelings. I haven't played any betas for this, but after watching the multiplayer trailer it just really looks like a WW2 skin or expansion pack. Everything looks just too similar. Plus I have much less confidence when CoD isn't made by Infinity Ward. I'll probably steer clear of this unless all my friends want to play together on XBL.

Rei on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Makes you wonder what that two years was spent on.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I watched videos on the Zombie Nazi Co-op mode.. and it seemed to be an improvement slightly when it comes to graphics... Is it really that disappointing?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

Looking over IW employees' shoulders trying to see how they make CoD good. They must have missed the whole no more WW2 thing.

Rei on
  • Options
    TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In case anyone needs a PC beta code and doesn't have one. Msg me and its yours.

Tarpo on
  • Options
    TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The addition of the HC lists has made the game quite a bit more fun.. That alone might get a purchase.. or at least a LONG rent from me.

Tarpo on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Tarpo wrote: »
    The addition of the HC lists has made the game quite a bit more fun.. That alone might get a purchase.. or at least a LONG rent from me.

Solved that gun balancing issue with the swiftness.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys know that all it takes to get a beta key is to sign up on their site...right?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Polish is one of those crap arguments like 'not getting it' in my book, elaborate?

Polish is a polite way of summing up the quality of something without going into deep detail. A lot of key features of the game just aren't well thought out or well done in general: Spawn points, support, animation, graphics, tanks, and number of other things. I just want to drop my opinion, not give a five page point to point bullet form about my analyst on CoD :WaW.
    And playing on hardcore almost exclusively

I'm playing a mix of both.
    I'm going to call bull on the weapon balancing.

I'm not going to argue how I think some weapons are overpowered then others but I will say this, both SMG and Machine gun pale in the number of toys they get compared to bolt actions and rifles. It's almost to the point of being silly.

Edit: Curse you smileys! Curse you to hell and back!

Okay, I'll hand you the balance issues for standard. I've just got off playing some of that and see that point a bit more clearly. I also agree that the weapon add-ons seem to be distributed more on the rifles, but I'm not seeing bayonets for submachineguns or LMGs. The Type 99 still puzzles me in that regard, and I think a few LMGs could use a forward grip. The spawn system is still crap, but that's more of a holdover from 4. I got used to it after a while. Textures seem to be about the same quality-wise, but then again I'm playing the 360 version.

Edit: I curse the smileys with you.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The spawn system is still crap, but that's more of a holdover from 4.

The thing about CoD4 was at least it tried to spawn you out of danger, only failing to do so every once in a while. In this CoD it works the oppose, taking CoD4's sudden death spawn approach and tries to spawn you in or near the action. To which anyone whose played in a game with more then 20 people can tell you turns into a big old custer fuck real fast...and god help you if the enemy manages to call in the dogs too.

Edit: Bi-pods are worthless in this CoD because there is only like one or two spots per map they can be used on.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I installed the beta and after having to update dx9c I can actually run it. Only now I don't get any visual display. Just a black screen and sound. Anybody have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    So I installed the beta and after having to update dx9c I can actually run it. Only now I don't get any visual display. Just a black screen and sound. Anybody have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Nope. No official response to it, either, and I'm in the same boat atm.

The youngins at the COD forums say it's because your vid card doesnt support 3.0 shaders, but 5 people on the forum have cards that do, and get the black screen.

So, nobody knows what's going on.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just got my PC beta key. I really should see if its any fun for me or not.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Installed the PC beta yesterday, and gave it a shot. It didn't really impress me that much, but it wasn't bad either; it just felt a lot like COD4 with WWII skins, as mentioned above.

(I also have a Xbox 360 beta code, if anyone wants that. No idea what brought them to send me one, since I don't own any of the current gen consoles :P)
    EDIT: Code sent out. On an unrelated note, how do you strikeout stuff?

I actually like the gun sounds, even though they do sound weak. It just seems to fit better than powerful sounding weapons would (I also didn't quite like the way COD4 guns sounded, so...) Artillery, on the other hand, sounded to me more like something out of sci-fi.

I liked the maps better than COD4s, too. The tanks seemed crammed in, though, and not really useful for much; they move real slowly, and everyone on the servers I was on loved to target them first (understandably), so they didn't last very long.

Was really happy to see they didn't decide to stick the "Press V to snap neck" thing in for dogs, since I could never get that. The dogs added a pretty interesting twist in my view, since everyone I played with tended to freak out and shoot the dogs before anything else.

I didn't like how artillery would actually TRACK and move back and forth to hit me when I watched it in killcam, but I loved the killcam views for it, grenades, and other projectiles. I understand these are in the console version of COD4 (haven't played the latest PC patch, so I'm not sure if it's in there), but it just stood out to me as a neat thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Vista 64-bit Ultimate user here, and didn't have any stability issues or crashes.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Just got some Bouncing Betty mines, and man do those thing have a huge 360 blast radius. You can put them under catwalks and walkways and they still jump up high enough to kill whatever above them. Probably going to be the first thing (if any) to get nerfed, in my opinion.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aw shit, I really wish I had a pc capable of running this. :( I've been tracking it's progress with cautious optimism for a while. The multiplayer trailer pushed me over the edge though. I tried so hard to get in on the 360 beta but all the keys were gone while I was still waiting for the page to refresh.

Is there any way to get in on the 360 beta now? I played the shit out of COD4 multi on 360 so if it's anywhere near as good I'll definitely be picking it up at some point.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought I signed up for the 360 beta but they sent me a PC beta key. It's all good, beggars can't be choosers and stuff, but I can't run it.

I'm not sure how in demand these are but if someone needs a pc beta key drop me a PM, first one gets it.

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Just sign up at the site and they'll give you a key. Nothing special has to be done.

edit: Tried some solutions from google for the black screen and none of them have worked. From what I hear, all I am missing is CoD4 in WWII which doesn't get me too excited. Can't wait till IW's next CoD. Aren't they interested in setting it in the near future?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hate to ask, but anyone have a PC beta key still lying around? My buddy wanted one, but not the heathen devil console version.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since this is the closest thing to an official WaW thread that I'm seeing on the board, I have to ask this here: I can't seem to find any mention of the game being released on Steam anywhere. It's not on Steam's "coming soon" list, the official site doesn't mention Steam, and the Wikipedia page doesn't list "Download" as a medium. Has there been any news concerning that? I mean, the entire series up to this point HAS been on Steam.

Am I gonna have to take a long walk in cold November weather to the b&m to get it, a day or two later, much like the homo erectus used to do? What madness is this seeming return to stone-age practices?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hate to ask, but anyone have a PC beta key still lying around? My buddy wanted one, but not the heathen devil console version.

Alright, this is the second time I've had to say this, and in the same thread, too. Anybody can get a pc beta code by, you know, going to the Call of Duty website and signing up. So tell your friend to go do that. Why people are asking for pc beta keys I do not know. All you have to do is sign up.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Alright, alright. Just thought I'd ask. Missed the post.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alright, alright. Just thought I'd ask. Missed the post.

Sorry, not really annoyed at you, just a lil' irritated at some rl stuff :/

Rohan on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Rohan wrote: »

Alright, this is the second time I've had to say this, and in the same thread, too. Anybody can get a pc beta code by, you know, going to the Call of Duty website and signing up. So tell your friend to go do that. Why people are asking for pc beta keys I do not know. All you have to do is sign up.

Didn't they stop giving out PC codes yestarday?

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If they did stop giving them out and anyone wants one, hit me up through PMs and I'll hook you up.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What the heck? No matter which game I join, it seems like I'm the only person being shown up. Did they shut down the servers already?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rohan wrote: »

Didn't they stop giving out PC codes yestarday?

Not as far as I'm aware. The page to sign up for a code is still there.

Rohan on

• Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Um, so the 360 Beta is just sitting in the demo section of the Marketplace at 890MB. Did they just say "Fuck it" and make it public access before the game comes out?

Downloading now~

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Um, so the 360 Beta is just sitting in the demo section of the Marketplace at 890MB. Did they just say "Fuck it" and make it public access before the game comes out?

Downloading now~

Yep, playing right now.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really, really like this one. It's much better than CoD4, and is the best multiplayer WW2 shooter I've played. The weapons feel great, and the artillery/attack dogs are so fucking awesome. I like how they can turn the tide of a battle just by herding people together. Castle and Roundabout are great, but Makin sucks. It's one giant clusterfuck.

I'll be buying this launch day.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Makin is the worst map in anything ever. Although in general I'm finding the maps in beta to be pretty terrible across the board. None of them seem to have any direction like CoD4 maps do, you could always get a sense where the battlefront was in CoD4 and where/when it was shifting while here it's just a clusterfuck every time.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Makin is the worst map in anything ever. Although in general I'm finding the maps in beta to be pretty terrible across the board. None of them seem to have any direction like CoD4 maps do, you could always get a sense where the battlefront was in CoD4 and where/when it was shifting while here it's just a clusterfuck every time.

Roundhouse makes me cry, who's dumb idea was it to put none team restricted tanks on such a small and limited map?

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    KraegerKraeger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Roundhouse was my favorite map of the three. I didn't feel like the tanks were too out of place on the map, though them not being team restricted is kind of annoying. Visually, and atmospherically, that level was the best of the three I felt.

Kraeger on
    "Aww, come on!"
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not really impressed with the game as a whole, weapons and maps seem subpar. That being said, I'll have a dedicated PC server up for it upon release if you guys want to inhabit the place. It will start with HCTC.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well folks, it came out yesterday. All you need to do for a code is sign up on www.callofduty.com and look in your email. But if you have Vista, you might have the same problems most of the other people are having.

Most of the people using Vista are getting black screens on starting it, only hearing the intro sound, maybe menu music. People have found things that fixed their situation, but an official fix has yet to show up.

I would make a fancy informational post like everyone else(see: rip everyone off) but until a fix comes, I'm stuck looking at the black screen.

Oh, yeah, the intro involves machine guns, I guess.

I get it too and that's because we don't have shader 3 supporting videocards.

Fuga on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Got the demo...fuck the dogs

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dogs seem to be motion/sound/sight based. They tend to go after the most obvious targets, like the guy out of cover firing an MG42 as opposed to the guy hiding in the background holding his fire. If you're not in the direct view of a dog, they tend to run by you.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Roundhouse makes me cry, who's dumb idea was it to put none team restricted tanks on such a small and limited map?

Tanks are pretty easy to take out and not much of a threat if you don't stand in the open. You can go a long time in RH without ever having to engage a tank.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Silencer on my G43 + Camouflage = INVISIBLE MAN

Seriously, it seems like well over half the people i play navigate using only the minimap.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png