Options

CoD:WaW BE...-ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Well folks, it came out yesterday. All you need to do for a code is sign up on www.callofduty.com and look in your email. But if you have Vista, you might have the same problems most of the other people are having.

Most of the people using Vista are getting black screens on starting it, only hearing the intro sound, maybe menu music. People have found things that fixed their situation, but an official fix has yet to show up.

I would make a fancy informational post like everyone else(see: rip everyone off) but until a fix comes, I'm stuck looking at the black screen.

Oh, yeah, the intro involves machine guns, I guess.

ColonCancer on

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    arg it's too late, Fallout 3 has sunk its claws into me. I try to fight it but. . . ALL GLORY TO THE PIP-NO-TOAD. (I'd photoshoop that one up but I'm at school)

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why did I do this.
    hypnotoadzj2.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Why did I do this.
    hypnotoadzj2.jpg

Awesome.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm in the PC beta now, hooray!

donhonk on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did I just read that COD PC has a friends system or did I just wake up in fucking bizarro land?

Smashism on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was not impressed by the multiplayer beta on the 360.

tofu on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I got into the PC beta, but have no way of playing it.

First one to PM me gets the code.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I'm in the PC beta but all I get is "SERVER AUTHENTICATION ERROR"

man fuck you.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Damnit I am not getting a code.
    Perhaps I should make a new account.

edit: I LIE. 043 gave me one like that awesome pro he is.

Smashism on
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just to verify... Is there no longer a way to get into the 360 beta? (without pre-ordering)

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zercof wrote: »
    Just to verify... Is there no longer a way to get into the 360 beta? (without pre-ordering)

Check your private messages.

aBlank on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why did I do this.
    hypnotoadzj2.jpg

Awesome.
    I am impressed with the touches such as the scanlines, dust, and glare on hypnotoad's glorious visage, nice work.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    aBlank wrote: »

Check your private messages.

Fucking Awesome! You, sir, are alright by me :^:

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'd also like to know this.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    keep on getting an unexpected error on register

I hope I can still get a PC code...

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, uhh, this doesn't work for me on XP. Everytime I run it I get a message box telling that it has encountered a problem. It tells me "Error during initialization: Unhandled exception caught" and then closes.
    This sure as hell makes me excited for the game!

YardGnome on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    okay fuck this.

They don't want my to try their fucking game

editx3: umm, now I'm registered I guess? weird.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Who else is rocking this on PC?
    tag: smashism

Let us play and kill and feast on the corpses of our enemy.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Not to sound greedy but.......
    would anybody happen to have another 360 Beta code.
    My GF wants to hit up some online action with me on her 360. That would be totally cool. ;-)

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Going to be trying this on Vista 64 Ultimate in a few minutes.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder why IGN doesn't have a review out for it. They're normally pretty good at coming out with reviews the day games are released.

I can't decide between this, Resistance 2, or Far Cry 2.. or LittleBigPlanet.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I wonder why IGN doesn't have a review out for it. They're normally pretty good at coming out with reviews the day games are released.

I can't decide between this, Resistance 2, or Far Cry 2.. or LittleBigPlanet.

It's not -released-. This is the -BETA-.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Worked fine for me on Vista, but honestly it feels similar to COD 4 did on the PC and I didn't quite enjoy that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is more of a game i'd get on my 360, i'd rather play that beta but i think i am too late on that front.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Worked fine for me on Vista, but honestly it feels similar to COD 4 did on the PC and I didn't quite enjoy that.

What?
    Between the tight controls and the competent server browser, what was there to hate?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

What?
    Between the tight controls and the competent server browser, what was there to hate?

For some odd reason I prefer the 360 controls. I do not know why. It is the only case in my life where I have preferred playing an FPS on a console. Usually console FPSs are a bane to humanity but to my great befuddlement I prefer COD on 360.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

What?

For some odd reason I prefer the 360 controls. I do not know why. It is the only case in my life where I have preferred playing an FPS on a console. Usually console FPSs are a bane to humanity but to my great befuddlement I prefer COD on 360.

I played on both, and honestly, I wont argue with you on cod4 for 360. One of the tightest feeling shooters on the sticks that I've played. Something about the way the sticks control the camera, just feels right. That dead zone must be perfect to the .000001

Anyways, that being said, nothing is wrong with the PC version. I don't see how enjoying it on a console can somehow damper the experience on a PC, when the PC version controls just fine. In fact, just perfect.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I can safely say that 90% of the people in the BETA cant get to the main menu. Errors, black screens, DirectX issues galore.

And what are the Devs up to? Going into the Forums and taking suggestions for what they should add to Multiplayer.

Fuck this, I'm getting it for the PS2 when it comes out.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And what are the Devs up to? Going into the Forums and taking suggestions for what they should add to Multiplayer.

I'm sure they have people working on it. It's not like EVERY dev/community manager is tasked with fixing that shit (or even knows how to).

aBlank on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This won't let me log in. Can't connect to Internet. Waaah.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game feels like either 1) a lazy lowest-effort sequel, or 2) a polished mod or expansion pack for COD4. Everything, the icons, the UI, the graphics, and general feel seems the same. The knifing animation, for instance, seems like it was lifted from Modern Warfare wholesale. The same class and unlock system as COD4. Same gameplay. Same everything, just with WWII skins and models. At this point, I wouldn't be comfortable paying full price for this fucker, at least not what this multiplayer-only beta is showing me.

Being the same as COD4 isn't necessarily bad, since COD4 was excellent. But this feels so lazy that paying full price for it seems dirty, especially with a WWII theme that I'm sick and tired of. But that's just me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This game feels like either 1) a lazy lowest-effort sequel, or 2) a polished mod or expansion pack for COD4.
    Another game to safely avoid this holiday season. Huzzah.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This game feels like either 1) a lazy lowest-effort sequel, or 2) a polished mod or expansion pack for COD4. Everything, the icons, the UI, the graphics, and general feel seems the same. The knifing animation, for instance, seems like it was lifted from Modern Warfare wholesale. The same class and unlock system as COD4. Same gameplay. Same everything, just with WWII skins and models. At this point, I wouldn't be comfortable paying full price for this fucker, at least not what this multiplayer-only beta is showing me.

Being the same as COD4 isn't necessarily bad, since COD4 was excellent. But this feels so lazy that paying full price for it seems dirty, especially with a WWII theme that I'm sick and tired of. But that's just me.

I probably won't invest much (if any) time into it's competitive multiplayer... but you still have to remember, 4 player co-op, a (hopefully?) decent -> good single player, and a zombie survival mode! If the game was just multiplayer then yeah, it'd be expansion material. But there's a lot more content here (imo).

aBlank on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got done playing the beta for the PC...yeah, it's alright, nothing to cry home about. They were obviously trying to go for the exact same feel as COD4, but lacks a lot of the games polish and I do mean a LOT. This can clearly be seen with how they balanced the weapons, which aren't balanced at all.

I also found that I can pretty much spam support for pretty much forever once a got artillery support.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do the guns sound atrociously weak to anyone else?

I don't know, like there's obviously a good product there, but there's just something missing. It doesn't feel as solid as COD4, and besides the gun sounds, I can't put my finger on what it is lacking.

The one thing they did get right though are the shotguns. They're actually VIABLE WEAPONS! Please IW, patch this into cod4

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My system is playing it just fine. Well, from time to time I get kicked out of servers for "packet loss", dunno what that is as all the other games I play online don't give me any such messages (games such as Cod4, for example!). It does seem pretty similar to CoD4, but I don't play that online much anyway, and I'm looking forward to the single-player and co-op modes in World at War more than the online deathmatch/domination/war modes.

Edit - Running it on the following system, if anyone cares (because of the issues a lot of people seem to have)

Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz
    2GB PC6400
    Radeon HD4870 1GB
    Vista 32-bit SP1

Would most people having these issues be running an nVidia card, perchance?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got done playing the beta for the PC...yeah, it's alright, nothing to cry home about. They were obviously trying to go for the exact same feel as COD4, but lacks a lot of the games polish and I do mean a LOT. This can clearly be seen with how they balanced the weapons, which aren't balanced at all.

I also found that I can pretty much spam support for pretty much forever once a got artillery support.

Polish is one of those crap arguments like 'not getting it' in my book, elaborate? And playing on hardcore almost exclusively, I'm going to call bull on the weapon balancing. I've been smacked around by every weapon in the book so far and don't seem to have any one weapon held over another for balance.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mechanical wrote: »

Polish is one of those crap arguments like 'not getting it' in my book, elaborate? And playing on hardcore almost exclusively, I'm going to call bull on the weapon balancing. I've been smacked around by every weapon in the book so far and don't seem to have any one weapon held over another for balance.

If you arent playing COD PC on hardcore, then you aren't playing COD PC right. Big chunk of the PC community would probably agree.
    Anyways, guns don't seem that imbalanced on normal, you just have a small ass clip, so you gotta make your shit count. Can't go blowing your load like prom night or some shit.

Smashism on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Polish is one of those crap arguments like 'not getting it' in my book, elaborate?

Polish is a polite way of summing up the quality of something without going into deep detail. A lot of key features of the game just aren't well thought out or well done in general: Spawn points, support, animation, graphics, tanks, and number of other things. I just want to drop my opinion, not give a five page point to point bullet form about my analyst on CoD:WaW.
    And playing on hardcore almost exclusively

I'm playing a mix of both.
    I'm going to call bull on the weapon balancing.

I'm not going to argue how I think some weapons are overpowered then others but I will say this, both SMG and Machine gun pale in the number of toys they get compared to bolt actions and rifles. It's almost to the point of being silly.

Edit: Curse you smileys! Curse you to hell and back!

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Why did I do this.
    hypnotoadzj2.jpg

Change the text under it and you have a winner.

Sheep on