As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Halloween New Comic Thread for Friday, October 31, 2008

• Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I played HL2 to the point where I could throw shit around with that anti-grav gun and messed around with that for about 2 hours laughing my head off and never bothered going back to the game ever again

I really SHOULD finish it though

You should finish it just so you can play the episodes

They are amazing

The second is fantastic. The first one is kinda boring though

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To be fair here, HL1 was also completely linear.

Defender on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    Yeah but it was better so you didn't notice.

Defender you should go look at the design for my game.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah but it was better so you didn't notice.

Defender you should go look at the design for my game.

Well, I agree with you, although I would add that "linear" doesn't mean "bad" at all. There is nothing inherently wrong with a game being linear, and there are cases where non-linearity wouldn't even make sense and/or would be a terrible design decision.

I'd be happy to look at the design for your game. I didn't see an obvious thread labeled "CT's game" or something, so I'll go out and look again, but could you link it?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OK now I see your thread. Also, yes, I did get your LOTR joke, and I did figure that something was going to happen when I saw the "grey" title. If that makes you feel better. I saw your OP in "I AM RETURNED" or whatever.

Defender on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ranx wrote: »
    look harder defender

Um...you posted this six minutes after I said I found it.

Defender on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    he meant look for the thread in which CT describes the gameplay of his proposed video game

given that the author of a thread is listed in the index, this shouldn't be hard to find

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I, for one, prefer at least some linearity in games.

I'm just one of those people who freezes up when presented with numerous options, especially in situations where picking option A means I can never have option B.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    i liked half life 2's art direction, gameplay, and no-cutscene method of storytelling

it's just a shame the story lacked any sort of narrative drive, climax, or resolution

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Their biggest mistake in the story was when they decided to make every single character have pre-existing relationships with one another

Javen on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    Their biggest mistake in the story was when they decided to make every single character have pre-existing relationships with one another

In one sense, that actually makes some kind of sense. These are all members of the resistance, and many of them come from Black Mesa in order to further connect them to the first game.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

In one sense, that actually makes some kind of sense. These are all members of the resistance, and many of them come from Black Mesa in order to further connect them to the first game.

I think having them all come from black mesa was stupid

the main boss is the director, and the three other secondary characters from the first game just happen to lead the one and only resistance movement

pretty big fucking coincidence

Javen on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is it, though?

or is it...fate?

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    he meant look for the thread in which CT describes the gameplay of his proposed video game

given that the author of a thread is listed in the index, this shouldn't be hard to find

YES AND I HAD FOUND IT AND POSTED THAT I HAD FOUND IT WELL BEFORE HE POSTED "LOOK HARDER."

Defender on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    uh oh you guys made Defender shouty

why would you do that?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's fun and kind of easy?

Defender on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

the main boss is the director, and the three other secondary characters from the first game just happen to lead the one and only resistance movement

hey while you're suspending your disbelief, ignore the interdimensional portal, aliens, and psuedo-science

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Kleiner was never identified as being one of the miscellaneous scientists, was he?
    And Vance being BLACK SCIENTIST #6 is hardly a secondary character. Barney is more of a character just because of the one at the front desk.
    Also Breen wasn't even in the first game. The first game implies that the G-Man is the director, for the most part.

They were all at Black Mesa at the time of the cascade. The Combine is after the portal technology that caused the cascade. Huh. Connection? Nah...
    Of course I could just be talking out my ass, I'm waiting for the third episode where hopefully we'll learn what the fuck the G-Man's deal is.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »

hey while you're suspending your disbelief, ignore the interdimensional portal, aliens, and psuedo-science

everytime someone makes this point, and it's just as stupid every single time

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Kleiner was never identified as being one of the miscellaneous scientists, was he?
    And Vance being BLACK SCIENTIST #6 is hardly a secondary character. Barney is more of a character just because of the one at the front desk.
    Also Breen wasn't even in the first game. The first game implies that the G-Man is the director, for the most part.

They were all at Black Mesa at the time of the cascade. The Combine is after the portal technology that caused the cascade. Huh. Connection? Nah...
    Of course I could just be talking out my ass, I'm waiting for the third episode where hopefully we'll learn what the fuck the G-Man's deal is.

Kleiner and Vance were both models from the original half life. They're supposed to be the two scientists you go to meet in the beginning of HL1, the ones that tell you to strap on the suit and push the cart that starts everything.

And of course there's a fucking connection between Black Mesa and the Combine. What gripes me is that even though Black Mesa was the fucking ground zero for the alien invasion that doomed the world no one actually fucking died the whole time, just became resistance fighters. Then in episode 2 they introduce a new one based on a less than footnote from the first game about you burning a casserole or some shit

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Seriously, stop making that point. It is retarded and just makes you look like you don't understand how suspension of disbelief works.

Defender on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe being involved in Black Mesa put them in a better position to lead the resistance?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

and every time the point stands regardless of how you feel about it

if you didn't like the game and don't want people to call your reasoning on the glaring holes it provides, then come up with a more solid reason

if you just didn't like it and thats the end of it, then don't feel compelled to justify it

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Defender wrote: »

Seriously, stop making that point. It is retarded and just makes you look like you don't understand how suspension of disbelief works.

uh oh defender's all revved up and ready to go

if you think it's weak storytelling, that's fine. There's all kinds of elements and reasons at work as to why those are key players in the future of that world. The G-Man manipulating events, the fact that black mesa was a focal point for the key events, etc

but to just go HUH THEY ALL KNOW EACH OTHER YEAH THATS REAL LIKELY is silly

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

if you didn't like the game and don't want people to call your reasoning on the glaring holes it provides, then come up with a more solid reason

if you just didn't like it and thats the end of it, then don't feel compelled to justify it

a game with a science fiction premise allows for liberties such as portals and aliens

it doesn't allow for dumb shit like recurring characters 20 years after the fact who just happen to be the key three figures in the only resistance movement on earth.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not saying it's not weak story telling
    Just that it's not as retarded as you seem to think it is
    But whatever I hate arguing when I'm jailed, because this timer is a bitch

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

No, he's absolutely right.

If you make up a science-fiction story wherein certain scientific "rules" apply, that's fine. That does not mean that anything "less impossible" automatically falls under the umbrella of disbelief. Especially things that are not explained by the special scientific rules that are specific to your fictional world.

Your line of reasoning that "fake science-y shit exists" is not adequate to justify just any old arbitrary unrealistic bullshit in the entire story. It doesn't work that way.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    sounds like a case of "I didn't like the game but it was popular, here is my weak justification, deal with it"

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Defender wrote: »

uh oh defender's all revved up and ready to go

if you think it's weak storytelling, that's fine. There's all kinds of elements and reasons at work as to why those are key players in the future of that world. The G-Man manipulating events, the fact that black mesa was a focal point for the key events, etc

but to just go HUH THEY ALL KNOW EACH OTHER YEAH THATS REAL LIKELY is silly

It just gets kind of "Extended Universe" when they do things like that. It feels forced, it stands out.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm basically just pissed they decided that since the first game they have decided to introduce exactly one character, which was immediately pronounced to be the love interest

two if you count the quirky lovable robot.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    sounds like a case of "I didn't like the game but it was popular, here is my weak justification, deal with it"

Hey I loved the game

that doesn't mean it's free from criticism. It was a bullshit copout move built around fanservice. Doesn't make the game bad, but it is what it is.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    it's not necessarily "arbirtary bullshit", there are plenty of elements that may or may not turn out to have an impact in how the story has played out. The way the story has been so far, it's like reading the first quarter, and the third quarter of a book and saying that the conventions the writer used are contrived bullshit

that may be true but there's still room for them to bring it together in a cohesive story that makes sense, whether or not it's a story you enjoy or care for

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

sounds like a case of you not being able to process that a game can still be good while having some things that people don't like

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the real kick in the ass here is that they are releasing episodes so slowly that of course the story is being judged on it's parts and not the whole, so they really are bringing that on themselves

I think they used familiar characters (not necessarily established ones, because it's not like you get to know them in half life 1) because they wanted you to feel like there was still some kind of connection to the prior 20 years or whatever, and not just hey same guy, different place

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »

sounds like a case of you not being able to process that a game can still be good while having some things that people don't like

sounds like HTUGHSUGHH

learn to read I know it has faults

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it's not necessarily "arbirtary bullshit", there are plenty of elements that may or may not turn out to have an impact in how the story has played out. The way the story has been so far, it's like reading the first quarter, and the third quarter of a book and saying that the conventions the writer used are contrived bullshit

that may be true but there's still room for them to bring it together in a cohesive story that makes sense, whether or not it's a story you enjoy or care for

sorry, zerofill, but this is stupid

the story is the way it is because that's how they chose to release it. it's not like reading only parts of a book, it's like reading a whole book which for some reason has plot issues that make it seem like it's incomplete. if the plot has issues, it's not the player's fault, it's valve's. saying "you can't say it's bad-- it might become good later! who knows!" doesn't cut it at all.

redhead on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    redhead wrote: »

the story is the way it is because that's how they chose to release it. it's not like reading only parts of a book, it's like reading a whole book which for some reason has plot issues that make it seem like it's incomplete. if the plot has issues, it's not the player's fault, it's valve's. saying "you can't say it's bad-- it might become good later! who knows!" doesn't cut it at all.

No, he's right. There's 20 years (I guess) missing from when Gordon was in stasis between the first two games.
    There may be some logical explanation as to why these people are in these positions, but we haven't gotten it because it occurs in the blank space between games. That in-between time is one of the things I'd like to see cleared up, right after they explain the G-Man

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    redhead wrote: »

the gameplay is linear but the story is not. does anyone disagree with that

you're dumb

I never said it's bad or not bad, in fact I said it might very well be terrible, and that they bring such criticism on themselves for having such a shitty release schedule. I personally think the story is weak right now because there are so many holes, and that if they fill them in with the rest of their storytelling, they might have a coherent, strong narrative on their hands

if you can't reconcile in your mind how that's possible then I have no further explanation for you

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'm not saying that it's "arbitrary bullshit." I'm saying that your argument is that any arbitrary bullshit that is "less far from reality" than the accepted science-fiction elements must be accepted. That rationale is wrong. Hypothetically, just because I accept teleportation, does not mean that I have to accept people behaving in ways that are not believable. Yes, teleportation appears outright physically impossible, whereas people acting weird is entirely possible, just very rare/unlikely. But that doesn't mean that any science-fiction story automatically gets a free pass on how people behave just because its audience has already accepted impossible science.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.