Options

Riddle Me This!

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apairantly Not:
    Split each pair of socks and give one of each to the two.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Finally, one of my absolute favourite riddles:
    A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb. It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

And lastly, the answer is not "no one leaves."
    I like this, I am throwing it into the OP.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Light Bridge
    #1 and #2 go across, #1 returns (3 minutes)
    #5 and #10 go across, #2 returns (3 + 12 = 15 minutes)
    #2 and #1 go across (2 + 15 = 17 minutes)

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb. It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

Randall this question is retarded.

You say everyone on this island is logical.

Then you say the Guru is a woman

Stop being dumb.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, here's a great riddle.

You're on a game show and you have a chance to win a new car by choosing from one of three doors. Only one of them has a car behind it and the other two just have a bicycle, and the host knows which door the car is behind. You select door number one, and the host then reveals that behind door number three is a bicycle and asks if you want to change your choice.

Do you?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Apairantly Not
    Pick up a pair, each person takes 1 sock.

Repeat.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Druhim wrote: »

You're on a game show and you have a chance to win a new car by choosing from one of three doors. Only one of them has a car behind it and the other two just have a bicycle, and the host knows which door the car is behind. You select door number one, and the host then reveals that behind door number three is a bicycle and asks if you want to change your choice.

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

In fact I think I have a flow chart to explain this to people somewhere.

Blake T on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    If that pool ball riddle doesnt get figured out by morning, I will bring it to class and fiddle with it.

since tossrock and I separately came to believe that you can't do it in fewer than four weighings, and since toss said he could probably prove it, I'm tempted to think we're really right. there could be something really weird going on which makes it doable in three and that I'm just completely missing, but I swear I did think about that riddle off and on for several days without getting any farther than toss got in this thread.

It's possible to do it in three.

I don't know how but it is impossible.

I suspect it is because we are looking at this incorrectly.

We are looking at this as the scales are unbalanced.

We need to look at this as the scales go up and down and switch balls around.

I haven't figured out how to do it.

But I am sure that is the process.

Also another clue would be that after the first weighing you would have balls that you KNOW weigh the same.

im throwing in my money on it being undoable in less than 4 either.

Unless there is some stupid trick you simply can't be sure in 3

the closet i can get is a 50 50 chance between 2

Kovak on
  • Options
    DasHanselHMDasHanselHM Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think to solve the River City riddle you first need to have a control group. If you split the balls into three groups of four and you compare two groups you have two possible outcomes. 1: They balance, which means you have 8 balanced balls and four unknowns (the balanced would be the control group) or 2: They do not balance, which means you have a group of 4 which could be high, 4 which could be low and 4 that are the balanced or control group.

I'm not sure where to go from there, but I do know that from that point there are two possible outcomes and so you must account for both of them.

I guess that algorithms class was good for something after all, eh?

Okay, now if you take the first group (8 balanced and 4 unknown) and compare 2 unknowns to 1 unknown and 1 balanced then there are 3 outcomes. 1: They balance, 2: The 2 unknowns are lighter, and 3: the unknown and the balanced are lighter

If you have the first outcome then take the last unknown that is left and compare it to a balanced one. Once again there are 3 outcomes. 1: They balance, which means all balls are the same. 2: The unknown is heavier, which means that you have found the odd ball and it is heavier than the rest. 3: The unknown is lighter, which means that you have found the odd ball and it is lighter than the rest.

I'm done for the night, feel free to play with the rest of this.

DasHanselHM on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A man breaks into the house and says that he is going to kill your entire family unless you shoot one of your children. Which do you shoot?
    The ugly one

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    aw man i just spent like 5 minutes on the hat trick one and its already answered

now i am off to uni to crush what little is left of my genius level problem solving ability

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Do you?

is this something silly like the host is lying?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

theres a big wikipedia page on it

i forget what its called

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?

when you fist chose

you had a 1/3 chance of picking the correct one

now with one door open

you have a 1/2 chance of picking the right one by switching

odds are better if you switch

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

now explain why

in spoilers

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Kovak wrote: »

Do you?

when you fist chose

now with one door open

you have failed to correctly explain why you should switch

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Do you?

I like this one, too.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What if you just pick the same door again?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I also like this one. it's basically the perfect difficulty, I think

I guess if we're listing our favorites I can tell the riddle I alluded to earlier. I forget the setup to it so I'm just going to make one up.

Fifty soldiers are captured by the enemy. They're taken to a room where they are all told what's going to happen to them next, which is this: after being given time to plan, they will be led to another room, at which point they will not be allowed to speak or communicate in any way. They will be lined up single file all facing the same direction, and then they will have hats placed on their heads. The hats will be either black or white, and no solider will be able to see the color of his own hat, although he can see the hats of all the people in front of him. Then, going from the back of the line to the front (that means starting with the guy who can see everyone's hat but his own), they will be asked "What color is your hat?" to which they can answer either "Black" or "White." Anyone who misidentifies their hat color is doomed to die.

Remember, they can plan out their strategy beforehand while they are still allowed to talk (but before they see the hats). There's a way they can plan it out so that no more than one of them even has a chance at death. How?

Note: The answer doesn't involve any tricks. They don't get around the "no communication" rule by poking or gesturing or changing their tone of voice as they answer black or white or any of that other jazz. You can solve this without needing any bullshit.

redhead on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

now explain why

in spoilers

hangon

I'm coding it up.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Air wrote: »

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

i forget what its called
    solve it yourself or shut up faggot

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    you constantly amaze with your stupidity

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?

when you fist chose

now with one door open

check yo maths
    this is the monty hall problme

Because there is no way for the player to know which of the two unopened doors is the winning door, most people assume that each door has an equal probability and conclude that switching does not matter. In fact, in the usual interpretation of the problem the player should switch—doing so doubles the probability of winning the car from 1/3 to 2/3. Switching is only not advantageous if the player initially chooses the winning door, which happens with probability 1/3. With probability 2/3, the player initially chooses one of two losing doors; when the other losing door is revealed, switching yields the winning door with certainty. The total probability of winning when switching is thus 2/3.

it's the same thing
    as saying you have a 1/3 chance

and then a 1/2 chance of picking
    i just recalculated odds with 2 doors instead of sticking with the same total number of choices

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

i forget what its called

here it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_envelopes_problem

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    you constantly amaze with your stupidity
    I was talking to kovak. But please, continue to be a little bitch.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I will add that often people ask this riddle while leaving out the crucial detail that the host knows what's behind each door. If the host doesn't know, you don't better your odds by switching.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    fuck you, air, for linking that

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

i forget what its called
    solve it yourself or shut up faggot

hey!

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redhead wrote: »

I also like this one. it's basically the perfect difficulty, I think

I guess if we're listing our favorites I can tell the riddle I alluded to earlier. I forget the setup to it so I'm just going to make one up.

Fifty soldiers are captured by the enemy. They're taken to a room where they are all told what's going to happen to them next, which is this: after being given time to plan, they will be led to another room, at which point they will not be allowed to speak or communicate in any way. They will be lined up single file all facing the same direction, and then they will have hats placed on their heads. The hats will be either black or white, and no solider will be able to see the color of his own hat, although he can see the hats of all the people in front of him. Then, going from the back of the line to the front (that means starting with the guy who can see everyone's hat but his own), they will be asked "What color is your hat?" to which they can answer either "Black" or "White." Anyone who misidentifies their hat color is doomed to die.

Remember, they can plan out their strategy beforehand while they are still allowed to talk (but before they see the hats). There's a way they can plan it out so that no more than one of them even has a chance at death. How?

Note: The answer doesn't involve any tricks. They don't get around the "no communication" rule by poking or gesturing or changing their tone of voice as they answer black or white or any of that other jazz. You can solve this without needing any bullshit.

this seems too easy

the first guy just says the number of white hats he sees modulo 2

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?

when you fist chose

now with one door open

check yo maths

Because there is no way for the player to know which of the two unopened doors is the winning door, most people assume that each door has an equal probability and conclude that switching does not matter. In fact, in the usual interpretation of the problem the player should switch—doing so doubles the probability of winning the car from 1/3 to 2/3. Switching is only not advantageous if the player initially chooses the winning door, which happens with probability 1/3. With probability 2/3, the player initially chooses one of two losing doors; when the other losing door is revealed, switching yields the winning door with certainty. The total probability of winning when switching is thus 2/3.

it's the same thing

i just recalculated odds with 2 doors instead of sticking with the same total number of choices
    good job looking to wikipedia for your answer fag
    and still getting it wrong

it is NOT 50% by switching and it even says so in the text you quoted fool

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    okay yeah i fucked up my math on the monty hall

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    fuck you, air, for linking that

its a mathematical thing and no one is gonna explain it well

and people have started trying anyway so what

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?
    I will thankyou!

i forget what its called

here it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_envelopes_problem
    not only are you terrible for turning to wikipedia, but you looked up the wrong problem dumbshit

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I fell in love with you
    would you promise to be true

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh yea woops

so everything works out well

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Auction Action
    In order not to be the second-lowest bidder (who would lose his money with no returns) each bidder will continue to bid higher and higher. Once the bidding reaches $100 it would continue to go infinitely higher since it's better to pay $101 for a $100 bill than lose $99 outright.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Flagg:
    Everyone except the guru leaves the next night, after no one leaves the first. I have to prove it still, though. That's just what my gut tells me.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    t air

except that is the answer to the first problem I posted, you faggot

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you?

when you fist chose

now with one door open

check yo maths

it's the same thing

good job looking to wikipedia for your answer fag
    and still getting it wrong

it is NOT 50% by switching and it even says so in the text you quoted fool

the last part was my math

and once again

i am aware of how the stupid trick to that riddle works

i simply forgot the exact fractions of chance.

Since i maintained your first door had a 1/3 chance of being correct and the switch had a 50% chance although it actually has a 2/3 chance

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Flagg:
    Everyone except the guru leaves the next night, after no one leaves the first. I have to prove it still, though. That's just what my gut tells me.

wrong.

Randall_Flagg on
This discussion has been closed.