As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    OK after reading some somewhat dated posts on the steam forums it looks like the game can be gifted to me, now is there anyone on these forums that trusts me enough to gift me the game and allow me to pay them via paypal? I'll even throw in the extra fee amount that paypal charges to dump the money in your bank account.

wait... if you can deposit money via paypal, why can't you buy it through steam?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OK after reading some somewhat dated posts on the steam forums it looks like the game can be gifted to me, now is there anyone on these forums that trusts me enough to gift me the game and allow me to pay them via paypal? I'll even throw in the extra fee amount that paypal charges to dump the money in your bank account.

wait... if you can deposit money via paypal, why can't you buy it through steam?

I don't know. I've tried my credit card, debit card, and my paypal account but every time I try to buy it it just says "this transaction could not be completed contact support" I think it has to do with me living in Japan and the game not being released over here till Jan 09, but a few people are saying if its gifted to you regions don't matter, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No, you get healthpacks in the safe rooms. But there are usually medicine cabinets in the middle of the level. On expert, those only give pills.

Also, I wouldn't say expert is too easy right now since you only need to go through 2 maps. How often do you reach the end of the level still carrying a medpack/still at near full health? It's basically a war of attrition. Every map, you're going to reach the safe room with lower and lower health and probably on temp health, which makes the later maps harder and harder as you'll all be going down a lot sooner. The respawns do make it doable though, unless the last map is really long, in which case, you need to be really lucky and not screw up as well.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, I've gotten through the first map without taking any damage, but when you start adding tanks and witches, the hurt piles on pretty fast.

God i need to go to sleep.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't know. I've tried my credit card, debit card, and my paypal account but every time I try to buy it it just says "this transaction could not be completed contact support" I think it has to do with me living in Japan and the game not being released over here till Jan 09, but a few people are saying if its gifted to you regions don't matter, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Go to STEAM's support center on their website and open a ticket explaining your situation. I live in Korea and had the same thing happen to me. After complaining to them, they just removed whatever was preventing me from purchasing the game and I purchased with paypal immediately after.

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    Anybody remember 4playerpodcast? The guys behind the Condemned Bear Video?

They got Left 4 Dead:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnM0QitkmCg

Hilarious.

Hahahaha, I love this guy.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It looks like L4D is available on Steam in Japan to me. The problem might be something else.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

It looks like L4D is available on Steam in Japan to me. The problem might be something else.

I went ahead and sent a question to the support team to see whats going on.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    No, you get healthpacks in the safe rooms. But there are usually medicine cabinets in the middle of the level. On expert, those only give pills.

Also, I wouldn't say expert is too easy right now since you only need to go through 2 maps. How often do you reach the end of the level still carrying a medpack/still at near full health? It's basically a war of attrition. Every map, you're going to reach the safe room with lower and lower health and probably on temp health, which makes the later maps harder and harder as you'll all be going down a lot sooner. The respawns do make it doable though, unless the last map is really long, in which case, you need to be really lucky and not screw up as well.
    Real men replenish health by dying and respawning.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

Real men replenish health by dying and respawning.

That would still only put you at 50 health, or 3 hits, and nothing on you.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess you missed out on the "real men..." meme. Anyway, my point is that you never have to reach the saferoom below 50 health since it respawns you when you start the next level. So I don't really think attrition is that much to worry about on expert, considering that I've started the second level pretty fucked and still managed to limp through it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    wabbiteh wrote: »
    So how well does this thing run on low end machines? 6600GT, 1.4GHz athlon, 1GB RAM - should I even bother? I don't care at all about image quality, just if I can get a decent frame rate.

I highly doubt it would be anything above 15-20 fps on the extreme lowest settings.

Good luck, or get a new computer. This is worth it.

Hmm, how would a 2.16GHz processor fare? I suppose I can just check out the demo in a few days.
    I'm running Left4Dead on a 1.8GHz processor, 8600 GT, 2GB RAM. By all accounts a piece of shit from days gone by. Left4Dead runs like butter (constantly >60 FPS) at 1440x900, maximum texture and model detail and medium shaders. Not capable of putting shaders on high for the film grain effect, which is a shame, but the game still looks gorgeous.

The Source engine is a wonderful thing.

Awesome, I may have to check this game out. It helps that it'll come out right when I go on break.

jothki on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So how well does this thing run on low end machines? 6600GT, 1.4GHz athlon, 1GB RAM - should I even bother? I don't care at all about image quality, just if I can get a decent frame rate.

I highly doubt it would be anything above 15-20 fps on the extreme lowest settings.

Hmm, how would a 2.16GHz processor fare? I suppose I can just check out the demo in a few days.
    I'm running Left4Dead on a 1.8GHz processor, 8600 GT, 2GB RAM. By all accounts a piece of shit from days gone by. Left4Dead runs like butter (constantly >60 FPS) at 1440x900, maximum texture and model detail and medium shaders. Not capable of putting shaders on high for the film grain effect, which is a shame, but the game still looks gorgeous.

Awesome, I may have to check this game out. It helps that it'll come out right when I go on break.

are you running on a VERY dated mbp mumblyfish?

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This is promising, I have a 2.4 single GHz processor, 2GB of Ram, and a ATI Radeon HD 2400. I was worried about the dual core requirement, but I plan on running the game with everything on medium and on 1200x1024 (or something along there). I'm not that much of a graphics whore.

RCagent on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This is promising, I have a 2.4 single GHz processor, 2GB of Ram, and a ATI Radeon HD 2400. I was worried about the dual core requirement, but I plan on running the game with everything on medium and on 1200x1024 (or something along there). I'm not that much of a graphics whore.

Dual core isn't listed as a requirement, just as being recommended.

Peewi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I've got a 2.4Ghz dual core, but L4D has problems with some dual cores at the moment (causes ridiculous stuttering on mine), so I had to set the game to run off of just one core. Game still runs smooth maxed out, although this is also using an 8800 and 2GB RAM, so take that as you will.

subedii on
  • Options
    WoaDWoaD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did anyone see the safety poster on the wall near a computer or something in the second safe room?

Apparently Duct Tape and Plastic > Zombies

I'm Sold!

Oh and could I get a invite please
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197965805816

WoaD on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WoaD wrote: »
    Did anyone see the safety poster on the wall near a computer or something in the second safe room?

I'm Sold!

I read it,
    it's crossed out with writing saying it's not airborne...so the plastic and duct tape is effectively useless...except for maybe ductaping your barricade to a door.

It's an interesting way of getting the story across, considering that in the demo there's pretty much only two lines of dialogue related to the story (essentially "Mercy hospital is nearby!" "There's a subway nearby that can get us off the streets on the way, let's go!"). I don't remember any in the second level, but maybe there's one for the switch.

Also, the aiming-sensitive chat wheel things are cool. Some of them are sensitive to which character you're pointing at. Plus there're 5+ entries for each option. Some of them seem to have far more. Except for Bill's laugh, they all sound similar. Some of Zoey's laughs feel really awkwardly forced.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy noticed that if you noclip past where the subway level ends, you can find the next safe room down the line, and there is more writing in there.

Morkath on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, the whole second half of the map is there

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh shi-, zombie dogs!

- Possible dogs?: \Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead demo\left4dead\sound\player\pz the whole folder is filled with hit, fall, miss, voice with .wav's starting with zombiedog, claw, creaturefall etc.

D:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A whole lot of shit about the minimum requirements...
    subedii wrote: »

I've got a 2.4Ghz dual core, but L4D has problems with some dual cores at the moment (causes ridiculous stuttering on mine), so I had to set the game to run off of just one core. Game still runs smooth maxed out, although this is also using an 8800 and 2GB RAM, so take that as you will.

I gotcha y'all beat!

AMD64 4000+ (2.4 Ghz)
    Nvidia 7600
    1.5 GB of RAM

it runs shit hot on 1440x900... granted it doesn't look nearly as good as some of the screen shots I'm seeing. But, it runs without a hitch.

<3<3<3 YOU SOURCE ENGINE!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    Flippy noticed that if you noclip past where the subway level ends, you can find the next safe room down the line, and there is more writing in there.

And then he just spawned a dozen tanks and witches and we spent time throwing molotovs at them.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »

I gotcha y'all beat!

AMD64 4000+ (2.4 Ghz)
    Nvidia 7600
    1.5 GB of RAM

it runs shit hot on 1440x900... granted it doesn't look nearly as good as some of the screen shots I'm seeing. But, it runs without a hitch.

Hey man, at the speed of the game, you rarely have time to stop and stare at textures anyway.

I think games sometimes obsess way too much on ultra intricate texturing and 3 giga jillion polygon models that nobody's ever going to notice, where a scheme like TF2's consists more of bold expressive art design with large sweeps of colour and detail in the big picture. There's a similar sort of ethos here as well, and even with that, all the character models and environments still look natural and awesome.

I especially have to hand it to the animation crew for the amazing work they did. Characters don't just ragdoll, they react to every impact, stumble and stutter, grasp and fling. It's seriously impressive.

subedii on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    800px-Modern_Hunting_Rifle.jpg

love_hearts_lrg.jpg

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    800px-Modern_Hunting_Rifle.jpg

The M14 is going to throw shit fest when it finds out you've been cheating on it.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    is there a guide to which ports to open up and how?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    also in the Scene files of your L 4 D folder you can find the intros to all the levels in VCD files

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »

I gotcha y'all beat!

AMD64 4000+ (2.4 Ghz)
    Nvidia 7600
    1.5 GB of RAM

Hey man, at the speed of the game, you rarely have time to stop and stare at textures anyway.

I think games sometimes obsess way too much on ultra intricate texturing and 3 giga jillion polygon models that nobody's ever going to notice, where a scheme like TF2's consists more of bold expressive art design with large sweeps of colour and detail in the big picture. There's a similar sort of ethos here as well, and even with that, all the character models and environments still look natural and awesome.

I especially have to hand it to the animation crew for the amazing work they did. Characters don't just ragdoll, they react to every impact, stumble and stutter, grasp and fling. It's seriously impressive.

i dont think they animated it in the traditional way... i brought this up in the tf2 thread a while ago.. some argued about it because they were thinking about game animation in the traditional sense, this is a totally different approach and results in dynamic animation such as what's in gta vi and I presume L4D as well. its all very clever. I'm not sure if this is how they do it, because they might just have spent an un-natural ammount of time anticipating any situation they might have to animate but this method is a lot faster and a lot more accurate, as it is an actual natural reaction.

I should also point out this video was shot in 2003 and the work they had been doing had been going on for at least 2 years..

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    does anyone know where I can find the file for the load screen in my folders

or on the internet?

I really want that No Mercy Poster as my Desktop

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking through the sound bites, apparently there are a couple NPCs in this game.

WorldsmallNPCBellman03 for Francis:
    "We're cops open up."

Or

WorldsmallNPCBellman04 for Francis:
    "Let's see, I'm Francis, this grandpa Bill and THERE ARE ZOMBIES OUT HERE! OPEN THE GOD DAMN DOOR!!!

Or

WorldsmallNPCBellman03 for Bill:
    "This guys nuttier than candy bar shit."

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WoaD wrote: »

I'm Sold!

I read it,
    it's crossed out with writing saying it's not airborne...so the plastic and duct tape is effectively useless...except for maybe ductaping your barricade to a door.

It's an interesting way of getting the story across, considering that in the demo there's pretty much only two lines of dialogue related to the story (essentially "Mercy hospital is nearby!" "There's a subway nearby that can get us off the streets on the way, let's go!"). I don't remember any in the second level, but maybe there's one for the switch.

Also, the aiming-sensitive chat wheel things are cool. Some of them are sensitive to which character you're pointing at. Plus there're 5+ entries for each option. Some of them seem to have far more. Except for Bill's laugh, they all sound similar. Some of Zoey's laughs feel really awkwardly forced.
    To be fair, she's probably going insane.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could'ja use spoiler tags if you're going to be quoting lines from the full game? Ta.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dr Oblivious: there's a thread on left4dead411 about the sound bite, as well as vid on the main page that has some of them.

zimfan: try portforward.com and there's wallpapers here.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Could'ja use spoiler tags if you're going to be quoting lines from the full game? Ta.

There from the demo and they're just small line that don't really reveal anything.:|

Edit:
    Dr Oblivious: there's a thread on left4dead411 about the sound bite...

The last time I was at 411 was over a year ago, so pardon my ingorance.
    ...as well as vid on the main page that has some of them.

Wait what? No, neither video have those lines.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I got this yesterday and have been really enjoying the hell out of it. Can someone add me to the PA group? Some of the retards I get stuck with make me want to snuff it.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970260106

dasnoob on
  • Options
    NeonBlackJackNeonBlackJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I absolutely cannot wait to try the demo! I'd pre-order but I'm sort of broke at the moment, so I'd prefer to play the demo for free and decide if the purchase is really worth it (which I'm sure it is).

Could I get an invite to the Penny Arcade group perhaps? I'd love to game with you all.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/neonblackjack

NeonBlackJack on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Everyone who invited PA L4D up to this morning was now accepted.

UberEv on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So apparently if you jump on top of zombie's heads they will die.

I guess we'll all be piping the Super Mario theme? :lol:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fuga on
This discussion has been closed.