Options

Gay Marriage For Some, Tiny American Flags For Others

• Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    And if he were to have replaced 'gay' with 'undisclosed illness' would you have fired him? If not, then you're going to get sued. And if yes, I'd make sure your contract doesn't allow for discretionary sick days.

In California, my understanding of the law (IANAL) is similar to mrdobalina's. A worker is in general allowed to take unscheduled time off for illnesses but does not have to disclose the nature of an illness (and in fact due to health privacy laws the employer cannot even ask what the illness was), however if the worker discloses that their absence was due to something other than illness then they open themselves up to disciplinary action if their reason was not valid.

At least, that's how it was explained to me many aeons ago when I was actually managing people.

It's defensible, probably to the point where a suit wouldn't be worth it for the guy.

That is, of course assuming that it is normal company policy to do so. If everyone else can get away with that with a slap on the wrist, he could argue he's a recipient of disparate treatment becuase of his sexual orientation.

So Tostitos, whether I agree with you or think you're being a dick, you may want to check and see that you've fired others who've abused calling out like that. Otherwise you might get fired for your company to save themselves from a suit.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    And if he were to have replaced 'gay' with 'undisclosed illness' would you have fired him? If not, then you're going to get sued. And if yes, I'd make sure your contract doesn't allow for discretionary sick days.

Contact? Is it a union job? Maybe it was mentioned earlier and I didn't see. I think Massachusettes is an at-will employment state like CA, and unless he's covered by a CBA, an employer could deem that calling out in protest of something constitutes a termable offense. Since the employee self-disclosed the reason for thier callout, sounds like it's safer from a suit.

Could, of course. Should is a bit more iffy.

Unless you're being paid under the table there is a contract to be employed. Even if it's just a sentence. On top of the proof of citizenship and tax stuff. Seeing how it sounds like Tostitos works for more than a 2 man joint, and that it isn't mob related I'm going to guess that it's probably more than a sentence.

Now I see what you mean. Though most at-will contracts don't stipulate sick leave policy to a fine degree (if any). CBA's do, but a standard employment contract at a decent sized employer likely references adherence to company policies and procedures as a condition of continued employment.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Reading Tostitos's posts got me thinking about how my employer would react if you "called in gay." We are allotted so many sick hours per year to pay for sick days, and we can take unpaid sick days if we have used up our allotted hours. These sick days can be called personal days, feel lousy days, or I don't feel like coming in to work days (but it's probably not best to say this to the supervisor taking your call, as any person with an ounce of intelligence can assume), but nobody cares as long as you call in at least one hour before your shift starts. As long as you don't use more than eight individual absences in a year, there is no penalty, and if you use more than eight, you receive a counseling notice for each additional one (it takes three notices to be punished with a three day unpaid suspension). Even better for the employee, they consider "absences" to be unique periods separated by days actually worked and not consecutive days. For example, if you call in sick on Monday, come to work on Tuesday, and call in sick again on Wednesday you get marked for two absences, whereas if you called in sick on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday you only get marked for one absence.

I guess what I am saying is that if anybody "called in gay" to my job, the supervisor would say "OK." As long as you weren't over your set absences, or calling less than an hour before your scheduled shift, nobody cares. If you simply don't show up or call ahead, you are going to get your ass counseling noticed.

If Tostitos's employee called in gay and did it without following sick/personal call procedures, then he rightly gets punished, regardless of the reason. If he followed the sick/personal call procedures, then Tostitos is clearly in the wrong, regardless of his personal feelings on the matter.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tostitos is still a dick

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Tostitos is still a dick

I certainly don't think that is open for debate :)

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    If he followed the sick/personal call procedures

Then I would not have to gear up for interviewing new accounts payable managers. :x

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Tostitos wrote: »

Then I would not have to gear up for interviewing new accounts payable managers. :x

I think the lack of clarity on this issue is what initially caused people's consternation with you.

You made it sound as though firing him was a "calling in gay" issue and not a "did not call in properly thus violating the rules, and by the way he mentioned he was calling in gay" issue.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You would also not have to be doing this if you weren't a complete dick.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think the lack of clarity on this issue is what initially caused people's consternation with you.

You made it sound as though firing him was a "calling in gay" issue and not a "did not call in properly thus violating the rules, and by the way he mentioned he was calling in gay" issue.

I think it also had something to do with his general attitude about the whole thing;
    and if he was too busy being g... ga... a professional protester to do his I would hire someone else to do it.
    pink thlip
    But NOOOOO. He wanted to make a statement. He wanted not only to miss work, but to leave us in the lurch, to purposefully damage productivity by making it hard to cover him–– by waiting until yesterday AM and "calling IN 'Gay'"

Fuck him.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Argus wrote: »

I think it also had something to do with his general attitude about the whole thing;
    and if he was too busy being g... ga... a professional protester to do his I would hire someone else to do it.
    pink thlip
    But NOOOOO. He wanted to make a statement. He wanted not only to miss work, but to leave us in the lurch, to purposefully damage productivity by making it hard to cover him–– by waiting until yesterday AM and "calling IN 'Gay'"

Fuck him.
    The whole point of "calling in gay" is to damage productivity, and to call attention to the role homosexuals play in everyday society. It's like a strike or a boycott.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tostitos is still a dick

Yup. Either he's a shitty manager who takes pleasure in throwing the book at people (thereby making lots of extra work for himself, too) in general, or he's a shitty manager who takes pleasure in punishing gay activism by throwing the book at people. His smug fucking attitude and that lovely bit in the spoiler suggest that the situation leans a little more towards option B.

Either way. Hope that vacancy and time-consuming employee search are exactly what your company needs "in this tight economy," dude.

I don't mean to suggest that showing one's role in society by inconveniencing co-workers who don't necessarily deserve it is good activism; my own feeling is that this Day Without a Gay business was singularly ill-conceived. I just mean to suggest that Tostitos is kind of a jerk.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, even ignoring the whole gay thing, you fired someone for missing one fucking day of work. I'd call you a dick just for that, fucking wal-mart treats their people better than that. Doing it for the dude calling in gay makes you a prime target of an unlawful termination lawsuit. If I were on that jury, and the lawyer tried to argue that you're discriminating against gays? I'd probably agree.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, even ignoring the whole gay thing, you fired someone for missing one fucking day of work. I'd call you a dick just for that, fucking wal-mart treats their people better than that. Doing it for the dude calling in gay makes you a prime target of an unlawful termination lawsuit. If I were on that jury, and the lawyer tried to argue that you're discriminating against gays? I'd probably agree.

I'm not defending Tostitos, but if that's the company policy, it's immaterial that it was for a gay protest. He'd be in more trouble if he allowed this to occur without termination if that is the standing practice.

For instance, if the last person who was terminated for failing to report to work (excepting the company's acceptable guidelines) was a 45 y/o woman, she might have standing to sue for wrongful termination if she found a gay man was not terminated for the same offense.

A quick test might be if this person applied for unemployment and if Tostinos' company disputes that filing. A judge would hear the case and determine quickly if the termination was out of line (generally by siding with the employee and charging the company). If the judge rules that the applicant is not eligible for unemployment due to a violation of company policy, I would venture that the company is safe(r).

That Tostitos takes personal...satisfaction?...at having terminated him is a different debate, but employment law (especially wrongful termination) is an entirely different beast.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As a straight man with a pregnant wife, how am I supposed to "call in gay?"

Or was I guess. I didn't even hear about this until the afternoon of the appointed day.

Organization++

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Tostitos is still a dick

Either way. Hope that vacancy and time-consuming employee search are exactly what your company needs "in this tight economy," dude.

To be honest I bet they would have a lot of people lining up for the job. The employee was kind of dumb to make this move when unemployment is high and finding willing workers is comparatively easy (and cheaper!)

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The whole point of "calling in gay" is to damage productivity, and to call attention to the role homosexuals play in everyday society. It's like a strike or a boycott.

Blue Flu

moniker on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So if I called in "Christian" to go protest gay marriage, should that involve the same punishment from an employer?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    saint2e wrote: »
    So if I called in "Christian" to go protest gay marriage, should that involve the same punishment from an employer?

If it's the policy, then yes.

Unless you called out to attend a religious practice. Then it becomes an issue of reasonable notice and the burden placed upon the employer for allowing you time off. In the US at least. See your local state employment law to determine...blah blah.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would company policy actually mandate immediate dismissal as the only possible punishment for a single unexcused absence? And why would Tostitos be looking for pats on the back if he didn't pink thlip the guy on his own initiative?

Speaker: Yup, that's one of my problems with this protest -- doesn't really involve allies, and also it probably alienates potential allies.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Would company policy actually mandate immediate dismissal as the only possible punishment for a single unexcused absence? And why would Tostitos be looking for pats on the back if he didn't pink thlip the guy on his own initiative?

It depends on the position and prior history. Arbitrators have upheld terminations on as little as three tardies in a two year period (iirc - see the ABA's Discipline & Discharge in Arbitration). The burden is usually on the employer to show that there's a reason for this policy and that they have made it absolutely clear that this is the policy and that employees know what happens should they fail to follow it.

What Tostitos didn't say was whether this was the last straw or if the employee was already in process of discipline for this other infractions. I guess it's a little off topic, but my original point was that it's not automatically a wrongful termination, and being straight or gay has nothing to do with it unless other straight employees are treated different.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OH NOOoo

by reversing this and making me think about Christians, you've completely changed my oh wait no I had a stroke there for a second yeah, it depends on workplace policy, the laws in your area, and the specific details of the event.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It depends on the position and prior history. Arbitrators have upheld terminations on as little as three tardies in a two year period (iirc - see the ABA's Discipline & Discharge in Arbitration). The burden is usually on the employer to show that there's a reason for this policy and that they have made it absolutely clear that this is the policy and that employees know what happens should they fail to follow it.

What Tostitos didn't say was whether this was the last straw or if the employee was already in process of discipline for this other infractions. I guess it's a little off topic, but my original point was that it's not automatically a wrongful termination, and being straight or gay has nothing to do with it unless other straight employees are treated different.

No, but that's never stopped someone from suing before, and this certainly has enough questions over the merits where I can see it going before a judge.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No, but that's never stopped someone from suing before, and this certainly has enough questions over the merits where I can see it going before a judge.

Fair point. I missed an extra few words " it's not automatically a slamdunk case for wrongful termination".

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OH NOOoo

by reversing this and making me think about Christians, you've completely changed my oh wait no I had a stroke there for a second yeah, it depends on workplace policy, the laws in your area, and the specific details of the event.

That was my point. This isn't a gay thing, it's a policy thing.

Shall we move along?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I think trying to damage productivity at your company should result in instant termination regardless of the cause. You're there to work and be productive, if you want to harm that your ass should be fired, right there, on the spot, GTFO!

I'm glad we do that where I work.

Calling out to harm productivity is just as bad as damaging the property to harm productivity.

psychotix on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    psychotix wrote: »
    I think trying to damage productivity at your company should result in instant termination regardless of the cause. You're there to work and be productive, if you want to harm that your ass should be fired, right there, on the spot, GTFO!

Calling out to harm productivity is just as bad as damaging the property to harm productivity.

So striking is just as bad as blowing up the building where you work?

And I'm really kind of amazed at these responses. Where do you people work where one day missed is grounds for termination - and it's company policy!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OH NOOoo

Shall we move along?

Right after I point out that, company policy or no, Tostitos still deserves a punch in the dick for the "pink thlip" jab alone.

Hachface on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

And I'm really kind of amazed at these responses. Where do you people work where one day missed is grounds for termination - and it's company policy!

I never said "blow up" I said damage property to harm productivity. If you are actively engaging in activity to harm productivity you should be tossed out, and have charges thrown at you.

"Hey, let me go break shit and screw things up", it's like a 4 year old throwing a tantrum.

The only point you make is that you shouldn't be trusted to run a lemonade stand.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hachface wrote: »
    OH NOOoo

Shall we move along?

Right after I point out that, company policy or no, Tostitos still deserves a punch in the dick for the "pink thlip" jab alone.

Of that, we can agree.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OH NOOoo

Shall we move along?

Oh damn straight. Right in the cock.

I don't think anyone was mad because of the policy, they're mad because tostitos is a douche who thought it was hilarious to fire a gay guy because hey, gay guys? Am I right!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

To be fair, there's a distinction between missing a day of work and refusing to report to work in protest. Had the person been ill and unable to report a single absence would likely mean nothing. That he self disclosed that he was not reporting in protest is the key piece here.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I never said "blow up" I said damage property to harm productivity. If you are actively engaging in activity to harm productivity you should be tossed out, and have charges thrown at you.

So if I go take a leak an hour before my scheduled break I should not only get fired, but also arrested?
    o_O

moniker on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Calling out gay" does strike me as a remarkably ineffective way to protest.

Hachface on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well y'know a strike that involves at best 7% of the workforce probably isn't going to do a whole hell of a lot.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Well y'know a strike that involves at best 7% of the workforce probably isn't going to do a whole hell of a lot.

The wedding planning industry may screech to a halt.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

And demographically speaking, that 7% is likely not to be entry level labor.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Are you saying that entry level labor is less likely to strike for political issues or that gay people are less likely to be entry level labor?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Are you saying that entry level labor is less likely to strike for political issues or that gay people are less likely to be entry level labor?

He's saying only part of that 7% will be entry-level.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

He's saying only part of that 7% will be entry-level.

I really have no idea where you guys are going with this.

Feral on

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I don't know, I think it sends out a message about what would happen if all the gays were to disappear like the "Christians" want them to. Also, it causes people like Tostidos to come out of the woodwork and expose their true colors.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython